What are you drinking when everything is bad for you?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Why waste perfectly good calories on inferior rum?
  • debra4647
    debra4647 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Italked to my Dr. and he said that splenda and truvia are okay to drink. I know there are some drinks with these in it. You could try those.
  • 78brownie_wechanged
    Options
    If it's not water I would make unsweetened tea and put it in the refrigerator. Sometimes I'd add a little splenda other times just straight chilled tea.
  • sjbruno7
    sjbruno7 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    one cup of coffee in the morning with some french vanilla creamer, and water the rest of the day. that is unless i have a jack and diet coke after work :)
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I guess the point is, you want to drink water, and ideally you want to drink it as pure as possible because most of the stuff you add to water will either increase your calories or give your liver and kidneys more work.

If you need to flavor your water to get it down, hey, that's OK. It ain't gonna kill you. Really. Do what you have to do to drink your water, because the alternative (not drinking it at all or drinking far too little of it) is FAR more harmful than any little sweetener packet or tea powder or anything you add to the water you drink.

Personally, I went through a stage where I transitioned from mostly soda to mostly plain water (which I hated before the transition).

I started by using flavor packets like Crystal Light and/or sucking on a hard candy while drinking the water (Life Savers lived up to their name!). I still craved the sweetness along with the flavor, so I put a little sweetness in there. Not nearly as much as the soda, but enough that I could drink it down.

Eventually, I got those little plastic lemon and lime-shaped squeeze bottles that contained lemon and lime juice concentrate. When I'd get a glass of water, I'd squeeze in a little lemon or lime (or when I was feeling adventurous, both) just to flavor up the water a bit. It gave me a touch of fruit sugar and some vitamin c, and allowed me to drink 8 glasses a day. But it cut the dependence on the sweetness further.

Eventually, I found that the flavoring was less and less necessary, and now I'm pretty much drinking 8 glasses or so of just plain old water. It's a lot cheaper and more convenient than needing to have some sort of flavoring for it, and the transition was easy once I gave up the soda and made the transition gradually.

I also usually have thermos of coffee and a couple of glasses of wine or a beer or two. And the occasional soda when I feel like it, which is not often at all.

I don't "count" water per se - I go by the color of my urine. But if I drink less than about 8-10 glasses of plain water a day, I feel thirsty and/or see my urine darkening, so the 8 - 8oz rule works about right for me.
  • rainydaze613
    rainydaze613 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I pretty much just drink water. It just takes time to get used to. When I was a kid, all of my hydration came from fruit punch- no joke. Then I switched to flavored water, but even that was addicting and had other detrimental effects. For the last 5 (?) years or so, I just drank water all day and it became natural. I never even want anything else.
    Literally all the drinks that enter my mouth are (in order of popularity) water, unsweetened almond milk, green tea, coconut milk, coconut water, and a few times a year, chocolate soymilk as a treat :)
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Tequila. It comes from a plant, so it can't possibly be bad for you.
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    Tequila. It comes from a plant, so it can't possibly be bad for you.

Good rule. Maybe I'll finally get around to trying that Hemlock extract my wife has been after me to try. She said it was good enough for Socrates...
  • adamb83
    adamb83 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    Sobe Life Water (although it does have some sodium) and Vitamin Water Zero.
  • patranus
    patranus Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Bite the bullet and force yourself to switch to water.
    After a month of suffering you will adjust.
    (and you save a TON of money)
  • duetwithjosh
    duetwithjosh Posts: 121
    Options
    Water throughout the day, occasionally some wine or beer at night.
  • cindyhoney2
    cindyhoney2 Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I add coconut milk and spleda (about 1 tsp) to my coffee (3 cps a day) and I drink a lot of water. I'm going to check out MIO and Propel tomorrow at the grocery store. (I get a little tired of plain water and the flavored water I have been drinking that I like has aspertame in it. While I can't find anything myself on the internet about this being actually bad for you, I try to limit my intake.) I was drinking tea sweetened w/splenda daily (about a gallon a day) and decided to go to a more natural diet and cut out splenda and I don't enjoy unsweeted tea. I'm a southern girl, I like my tea sweet :) I also don't drink sodas anymore, not a diet thing, just don't care much for them.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Flavored seltzer and Trop50 juice (no artificial sweeteners!)
  • dotti1121
    dotti1121 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I ONLY drink water...it's all I've had for over 2 months now!
  • Biggipooh
    Biggipooh Posts: 350
    Options
    Green tee with lemon and stevia. Zero calories but taste like sweet Ice tea
  • lindsy721
    lindsy721 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I basically only drink water right now, with maybe a glass of milk once a day. If you want a little flavor in your water, squeeze a little lemon or lime into it.
  • minceetbelle
    Options
    Vitamin Water Zero. You can but a 3-flavor nine pack at SuperWalmart for under $5. It's flavored w/STEVIA - stay away from the manmade artificial sweetners (STEVIA & TRUVIA are the only ones I know of that are plant extracts...the come in liquid and powder, you'll find them in the sugar aisle...) And WATER, WATER, WATER!
  • whatevany
    whatevany Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    water, green tea, and black coffee everyday. Kombucha once or twice a week. Rarely I will have coconut water.
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    Options
    water.

might not sound like much, but up until fairly recently, i had a 5-7 soda a DAY habit (and not diet ones!). i HATED water. didnt drink ANY.

one day... i decided i had had enough. now, i MIGHT have one a day, but even then, i will only get halfway through it before i WANT WATER.

my hubby is convinced aliens have abducted me and replaced me with someone else LOLOLOL

i do drink my coffee in the morning. In my first cup i put about 2TBS of vanilla caramel creamer, and then i just add coffee to the cup (no additional creamer) for the rest of the morning till i start wanting (surprise!) WATER

it really is the strangest thing, ive even stopped having my afternoon coffee (another reason hubs thinks i was switched out by aliens) LOL
  • robot_potato
    robot_potato Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I have squeeze bottles of lemon and lime juice, add it to my water when i need something extra. Also, coffee and tea, with no milk or sugar. If i do add something to them, it's a treat.