People 'looking down' on my 'diet'

Options

Replies

• myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    People ask me which "diet" I'm doing all the time. It's irritating, but the truth is I've dropped 42 lbs, so I really just don't care what they think.

Ignore them and keep doing what you're doing.

Me, too. And if it seems to be a genuine interest, I write the web site URL down and give it to them.

Most of them walk away disappointed when they finally realize that I'm merely watching what I eat more carefully and exercising more.

"Oh, I thought with all the weight you were losing you were taking a pill or something."

"Nope, just eating a teensy bit less than I used to and keeping track of it carefully, and I'm losing weight without being hungry or tired or any side effects whatsoever."

"oh" (walks away dejectedly).

I don't know why people think you have to either pay large amounts of money or do some massively self-sacrificial penance to lose weight, like being overweight is some sort of sin and all you have to do is find the right religion to absolve you of the fat. Being overweight means we have too many calories attached to our *kitten*, and with a little patience and a little awareness of our food we can get rid of those calories, gradually and with very little sacrifice.
  • obeseto13point1
    obeseto13point1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Ummm. You are making them feel terrible and uncomfortable and they are taking it out on you. You are making healthy choices and they are not. Stick to your guns. Do what you need to do to be healthy and ignore everybody else.

I totally agree ^^^^

A girl I work with is currently on the HGC diet. DUMBEST thing EVER!!!! Eating 500 cal/day and putting some stupid drops on your tongue is not going to get you to lose weight! I told her that when it doesn't work to come talk to me and I'll help her lose weight the right way. I swear people think that when you start running you should be able to run 6 miles like it's nothing. I run 5-6 times a week and running 6 miles is hard! You have to work up to strenuous physical activity and you have to make dietary changes small otherwise you'll gain everything back!!

Long story short, don't feel down on yourself. You're doing great! I love hearing that people are so uncomfortable with others feeling great and beginngin to look great too--that means that they just might try it too! Keep your head up!! :) You'll be an inspiration one of these days!!

I know people who did the HCG diet, one of them lost 40ish lbs in a month or two I believe and then immediately gained it back. There is no way I would ever try that stupid diet, and it has taken me years to get where I am now and I am ok with that!
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the point. As long as you are trying to lose weight through controlling what you eat, you are in fact on a DIET.

Once you are maintaining you can call it your lifestyle.

People are curious or trying to be helpful, what's the big deal? When people ask just smile and say "Good old fashioned diet and exercise". Don't go into details and don't go around saying what you can or can't eat or why you may not be eating something that everyone else is. "OMG a CUPCAKE I can't eat that!" makes you sound like a douche, and people are going to be douchy back, especially if they are enjoying a cupcake.
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I think you should lose weight because it is your goal. Woman tend to want everyones approval and we want people to approve of our decisions. Good luck on your journey.
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    First of all congratulations on the positive changes!

And please don't take this in a wrong way, but are you sure you didn't read into what they say too much? a bit over reacting? So what if you are on a diet...you know you need a change and you are taking action. That's the most important part. Like Mr. Jobs said “everything else is secondary".
  • Kanohane
    Kanohane Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    My friends think I'm vegan because I want to lose weight. They tell me I'm extreme. I tell them to STFU.
    lol ...
  • Kanohane
    Options
    I don't understand the point. As long as you are trying to lose weight through controlling what you eat, you are in fact on a DIET.

Once you are maintaining you can call it your lifestyle.

People are curious or trying to be helpful, what's the big deal? When people ask just smile and say "Good old fashioned diet and exercise". Don't go into details and don't go around saying what you can or can't eat or why you may not be eating something that everyone else is. "OMG a CUPCAKE I can't eat that!" makes you sound like a douche, and people are going to be douchy back, especially if they are enjoying a cupcake.
    ^ This...I agree...
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    I was talking to man who was supposed to be relationship potential. We had started talking about weight/working out/etc. I told him I worked really hard this particular day so I was going to have a pizza and an ice cream cone. His response was "I don't know how I feel about that. Pizza and ice cream aren't really diet foods."

Excuse me, I work my *kitten* off. I keep meticulous records of what and how I eat. I do physical activity 6-7 days a week. I have a very physical job. And that particular pizza and cone were WELL within my budgets for the day.
  • missprincessjenny
    missprincessjenny Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I eat clean. 5-6 times a day. My friends say I act like I'm in training for the Olympics.
    Whatever...I just ignore them.
  • ILoveJesus72
    ILoveJesus72 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    You can't control how others behave and what they say, you can only control how you react.

Don't let it bother you, no biggie.

You do you, they'll do them.

I just ignore if anyone questions what I'm eating at work....I will say, however, that it isn't usually them belittling or making me feel bad but them trying to open conversation to learn more. Keep that in the back of your mind when dealing with your coworkers.

Best reply I've read so far :)
  • dandes
    dandes Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    They are envious of your motivation, willpower and the positive attitude you have about wanting to change your life. Continue doing what you're doing. You are making a lifestyle change, perhaps you'll become their inspiration to change their own lives!
  • Cyndieann
    Cyndieann Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    'Nothing will change, if you change nothing'. I think your co-workers are just jealous that you have the courage to change your life...perhaps they don't. Challenge them to change something as monumentous as you have chosen. :smile:
  • SlowlyLosingLolita
    SlowlyLosingLolita Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Ummm. You are making them feel terrible and uncomfortable and they are taking it out on you. You are making healthy choices and they are not. Stick to your guns. Do what you need to do to be healthy and ignore everybody else.

Completely True.
  • vthetigercat
    Options
    I think it's cool when people at work notice what I'm doing. At first they noticed what I was eating, and said things like, "Why do you eat so healthy, you're already small!"

But since I've changed my diet and gotten much more rigorous with my physical activity, they say things like, "Wow your body looks sick, what do you do!" Now two girls I work with have started making changes because they noticed I was.
  • jettyib1
    jettyib1 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was doing the hcg thing for about 2 month. I lost weight alright and almost lost my kidney function. The water washed out the salt in my kidney's. Now I have to build that back up. It won't be easy.! If it hadn't been for my niece(the paramedic) I would have kept it up and no telling how bad I would have been. Us 69 yr olds have to be very careful of the organs we have left. Thanks all for tolerating my ramblings.
  • hardten2lose
    hardten2lose Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Yeah, they're called ignorant people where it comes to health. Don't make their issues, YOUR issues. You seem to understand that it's a lifelong commitment to health. Stick with it!
  • Tink_889
    Tink_889 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It can be really frustrating when people look upon it as a diet but I guess that's because for them, it would be.

Try and focus on what you view it as which is a healthy lifestyle. I know it's easier than done but unfortunately we can't change other people, we can only change ourselves. x
  • lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Haters gonna Hate
  • Kanohane
    Options
    Hmm I had no idea how over sensitive dieters were....I'll remember to not call everyone who knows proper English terms jealous of me.....that's just being "ignorant and unrealistic"... If they diss you, its probably because you're so oversensitive and it seems very douche like...I seriously doubt people who know English are all jealous of you, but continue thinking so...and you'll end up that arrogant thin person that noone likes because of arrogance. You can always play the old they're jealous card, but that won't make it true no matter how much you claim it...Check out your dictionaries one day....if you own one...
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    I don't call what I'm doing a diet, that isn't what this is. It is a LIFESTYLE CHANGE. But people at work don't get that.. They look at me like, 'oh, you're on a diet.. =/ ' and make me feel terrible! They make me feel uncomfortable about losing weight...

Anyone have those people around?

Yeah but I chose to ignore them. Now the want to know my "secret"! *facepalm*.

It's called being healthy and making time to do an exercise I enjoy!!