How do you say it?

Replies

• terryjo623
    terryjo623 Posts: 101 Member
    I hate the way some people say foyer!!!!

Such as?
    with a huge errrr on the end
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,173 Member
    It's Ne-Va-Da NOT Ne-Vah-Duh
  • SmexAppeal
    SmexAppeal Posts: 858 Member
    Apparently I said milk wrong... I say it like "melk". Which until it was pointed out to me, I never noticed. Now when I say it wrong it just drives me nuts.
    I like to pronunciate... so Tim Hortons is Tim HorTons... not Tim hor-ins...
    I used to say brown with a really strong southern accent, not sure why.
  • frixtine
    frixtine Posts: 965 Member
    I crack up when I hear..

"What canna serp do ya'll gat?"

"Somebody caw da ammalamps"

"Gatta go to da stow and get some arnge juice and fuewt"

"I'm gon' take my chirrin home"

And the word....WAWTA..........water

You gotta be from New Orleans too!!!
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    I'm Canadian, which means I pronounce half my vocabulary different.

Pasta, drama, latte with the same a as SLAT, FLAT, MAT instead of Pahsta, Drahma, Lahtte

Dude, no. I'm Canadian too and it is weird as hell when you randoms say "PA-sta" "DRA-ma" and such.

I'm actually orginally from NJ, and I've worked hard to say things the way the rest of Canada does... otherwise they don't know what I'm talking about! I've **never** heard anyone here pronounce it correctly. When in Rome..
  • GeminiFairy89
    GeminiFairy89 Posts: 45 Member
    It's Ne-Va-Da NOT Ne-Vah-Duh

Haha,I say it as Nuh-Va-Duh
  • I'm from London.
    Instead of saying water I say WAW-AAAAH.
    Instead of saying butter I say BUUUUH-AAAAAAAAAH.

nah, I'm joking. I am from London but I speak in Queens English, like a newsreader. :laugh:
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    I crack up when I hear..

"What canna serp do ya'll gat?"

"Somebody caw da ammalamps"

"Gatta go to da stow and get some arnge juice and fuewt"

"I'm gon' take my chirrin home"

And the word....WAWTA..........water

You gotta be from New Orleans too!!!

I heard it alot when I was in GA. I had to hurry up and get back to Illinois. I thought if I stayed much longer..I'd end up speaking the same way..and being made fun of on
    the forums..lol
  • Xia21
    Xia21 Posts: 84 Member
    It bugs me when people say car-mul instead of cair-uh-mel for caramel. THERE IS AN 'A' IN THERE! PRONOUNCE IT!

And when people say "crown" instead of crayon. That's not even kind of how it's spelled. Cray-on.

There are tons of rules and exceptions in the english language that allow for BOTH pronunciations.... thats what makes it so
    difficult to learn but... unless someone is purposely mispronouncing and slurring words, something like that would never bother
    me
  • MelMoly
    MelMoly Posts: 1,303 Member
    I say cinnamon wrong... I say it with an "m" sound so it sounds like cim a nin
  • ShilohMaier
    ShilohMaier Posts: 135
    Cauliflower. Is it "Caw-li-flower" or "Caul-ee-flower"?
    Also, I say "buh-ins" and "cur-ins" instead of "buttons" or "curtains".

My grandpa was Canadian, and he couldn't say "spedometer". He called it the "speed-o-meter". Which is kind of what it is anyway:tongue: .
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Orange = arnge

Creek = crick

Those I've kept since I moved from PA...one I lost though is I used to pronounce water as "wooder"

but do you still "red up your rooms", cheer tha stillers and tha "iggles"? i:heart: my warshers
  • rextcat
    And its CRAWFISH!!! not CRAYFISH!!!!

naw its CRAW-DADS! :tongue:
  • LauraMacNCheese
    LauraMacNCheese Posts: 7,173 Member
    Orange = arnge

Creek = crick

Those I've kept since I moved from PA...one I lost though is I used to pronounce water as "wooder"

but do you still "red up your rooms", cheer tha stillers and tha "iggles"? i:heart: my warshers

The "iggles" yes...the "stillers" HELL NO...:sick:
  • rextcat
    Orange = arnge

Creek = crick

The "iggles" yes...the "stillers" HELL NO...:sick:

awwwa :cry:
  • I've been told I pronounce "horror" like "*kitten*" :grumble:

that's me!! haha, it's like I forget to pronounce the "o".
  • terryjo623
    terryjo623 Posts: 101 Member
    I always say iron as ' iearn'
  • antonio823
    antonio823 Posts: 298 Member
    I say all of those like they are spelled.... Legs and eggs-laygs and ayggs (I know I'm weird) :P
    If you said those words as they were spelled, you would pronounce them "legs" and "eggs."
    -wtk

LMBO!
  • Also, it's or-a-gen! NOT or-e-gone. there's no e at the end!
    :grumble:
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    I don't, but most of my friends call it a BAG - EL instead of BAYGULL. Or DECK - EL instead of Decal.

I ALWAYS get made fun of for saying BAG-EL!!! My friends used to try and trick me into saying it so they could laugh at me. Booo!!!