Faking Stats? I wonder....

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I simply adore how you all assume that everyone that lies about their stats lies in their own favor.

If I workout for 108 minutes, I only log 100.
    If it says I burned 398 calories, I usually type in 350.
    If i ate a bagel and it says it was 172 calories, I put in 200.

I purposefully post my stats against myself, to keep myself pushing harder.

And I only log half my workouts cause I dont like the backlash from the lazies telling me Im obsessed.

lol or calling my workouts FAKE.
    I think you're just being realistic. MFP burns seem to be higher, and its better to estimate in a cautious manner. That's definitely not the kind of "faking" the OP seemed to be implying (she did say 'to get praise"...and clearly you aren't looking for that when you play down your stats)

Ok I can go with that.

But one of the biggest reasons lots of people on here DO have to downplay what they log is because there are way too many people who just jump on the chance to point a finger and call someone a liar, faker or exaggerator. It hurts feelings.

Please think three times before you rush to call someone a faker. Maybe they just woke up that day and decided to run a half marathon (ive done it) or post their ACTUAL starting weight (i did it - took me a year and a half before I admitted that I started at 260 and not 220)
  • stephabef
    stephabef Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Don't know, don't care. I love my MFPs, but I'm here for me. It's only hurting them if they do that.
  • dane11235813
    dane11235813 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Some people will always fake on the internet..... or in bed.

Accept it as a fact of life.

LOL...nice!
  • mmsilvia
    mmsilvia Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Faking stats in MFP or faking in bed are only hurting yourself...

I have no reason to fake in either case :blushing:
  • CynGoddess
    CynGoddess Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    yes I think some do. And you know what...it doesn't really matter, all they are doing is hurting themselves.

someone elses fake number doesn't hurt me, or you, and if we offer them a congratulations or a way to go, they know it's hollow....deep down inside they know they don't deserve it.

So fakers? Yup....worried about it? nope....

exactly
  • dlpnrn2b
    dlpnrn2b Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Some people will always fake on the internet..... or in bed.

Accept it as a fact of life.

very true and made me giggle... I think it's worse to fake the later :wink:
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    It's like faking an orgasm. You do it so that your friends don't feel bad after all of the time they've invested in you.

Wait. You fake your orgasm so your friends don't feel bad after all the time they've invested in it? OK. I get it.
  • Xia21
    Xia21 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Not me! I do this for myself, so I don't really care what anyone thinks of my journal or my progress.
    ^^^^
    Exactly, all of this tedious tracking and measuring is for me but... the social community is a fun added bonus :]
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    Faking stats in MFP or faking in bed are only hurting yourself...

I have no reason to fake in either case :blushing:

OMG its Jessica Alba!
  • Discoveri
    Discoveri Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I simply adore how you all assume that everyone that lies about their stats lies in their own favor.

If I workout for 108 minutes, I only log 100.
    If it says I burned 398 calories, I usually type in 350.
    If i ate a bagel and it says it was 172 calories, I put in 200.

I purposefully post my stats against myself, to keep myself pushing harder.

And I only log half my workouts cause I dont like the backlash from the lazies telling me Im obsessed.

lol or calling my workouts FAKE.

I log only half the time of my workouts because I think MFP really overestimates the calories I burned. So if I do a 1 hour body pump class, I only log it as 30 minutes.Eventually I'll get a HRM and really see what I burned but for now, I'll keep pushing the time down.
  • niightwind
    niightwind Posts: 81
    Options
    I think the people I know on here tend to overestimate calories gone in and underestimate calories gone out, not the other way around. That's what I do. I always round up with my food and round down with my exercise. I'd rather do that then overestimate how much I'm losing!
  • SteffieMark
    SteffieMark Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    If you're here to impress others, you're probably not really taking it seriously, anyway. I'm here to keep myself on track. Having friends and supporting them is a bonus. If anyone fudges their numbers, that is not my concern. They are only hurting themselves in the long run. I'm sure it happens though.
  • jcstanton
    jcstanton Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm sure that's the case sometimes, but it may not be for attention. It could be because they're embarrassed to admit the truth, or they're afraid of being berated or made to feel guilty if they tell everyone what they've really been doing. I still have to be careful about that. My mom was always one to chastise me and make me feel embarrassed about my appearance. Not intentionally, of course. She wasn't really cruel. It was more like, "You really don't need that _______. You don't want to end up like your aunts (she had two sisters who have struggled with morbid obesity for their entire lives)." Even as an adult, I still feel like I need to hide what I'm eating (if something junky) in order to avoid criticism.

Since I've been on MFP, I log my food BEFORE I actually eat it. If I have to force myself to log it because I'm afraid of what people will think, I usually end up changing my mind about eating it.
  • kathymillard1970
    Options
    Wow never thought about that, I guess it's possible, but not logical, I mean I only log the truth because I am working very hard at losing weight, eating less, and exercising more. I think that if you wanna fake it then your only hurting yourself, I take losing this weight very serious, I work hard to get there, and I am sure we all do,
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    I'm sure people do. But it doesn't bother me as much as when people take "progress photos" or "before and afters" and the newer photo is them sucking their stomachs in. Makes me laugh.

YUP! I see this often. Some call it better posture :P
  • tina_scott
    tina_scott Posts: 4
    Options
    I feel they are just cheating themselves! I personally want this for me and no one else. I would not benefit in cheating.
  • whatnoduff
    whatnoduff Posts: 5
    Options
    I tend to under estimate my exercise and over estimate my calories, not sure if that's faking but it seems to work for me so far.:wink:
  • JThomas61
    JThomas61 Posts: 892
    Options
    There was a time when I used a Mio Drive HRM and had huge calorie burns and I actually believed they were real, it motivated me to work even harder but then I switched to a Polar FT4 with chest strap and my numbers dropped dramatically. I don't actually believe I was faking the stats with the Mio but now I question anyone who uses any HRM without a chest strap or gets their numbers from typing in a random activity, adding the number of minutes and then MFP produces a generic number of calories burnt.

Other than what I have experienced from my own activities and being mislead by the HRM, I agree with other posters, they are only hurting themselves, hard work will produce results, pictures (not photo shopped) are proof.
  • Donnacoach
    Donnacoach Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    I don't know why they would, but I suppose some may.
  • bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    If you're on here to impress others than you've already failed in my opinion.

Something I've learned the hard way. I've had much more success by being myself and just doing work and not worrying about what people are going to think or how I need to present myself to anyone.

Sure, I'll admit there are people I've wondered if they're faking/lying/exaggerating, but if I let it bother me, that's my problem.