Almond Milk/Soy Milk/Rice Milk--Which is best?

Options

Replies

• mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I use Silk brand unsweetened almond milk and it's only 35 calories per cup... I like it, but I'm not a dairy milk connoisseur, as I've always been lactose-intolerant (or allergic to milk, as they called it when I was child). I eat cheese and consume some dairy products. Sometimes I have ill effects if I over-consume, but for the most part, as long as I keep the consumption low I'm ok.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    One of my posts was from the Harvard study site

It was from the Harvard School of Public Health site and was the same thing I posted. But it says nothing about studies by Harvard showing soy harmful.

I've read a lot about soy and have seen the dire warnings on the internet, but never from a medical site. I tend to ignore "health information" that can't be backed up by science. But, I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll drop it..

Actually it did:

In fact, a handful of unsettling reports suggests that concentrated supplements of soy proteins may stimulate the growth of breast cancer cells. (23, 24

What do concentrated supplements of soy proteins have to do with soy milk? You said soy milk was bad.

1) I never said soy was anything
    2) That quote was inside the paragraph talking about soy products

Ah yes, you replied to my reply to someone else saying soy was dangerous so I assumed I was still talking to the same person. My mistake. But the entire paragraph you quote from Harvard was positive, except for the supplements. I don't do supplements so haven't researched those, but would tend to believe Harvard that it is "troubling". As for soy milk, I also agree with Harvard and consider it safe.

Here is the paragraph:

In fact, a handful of unsettling reports suggests that concentrated supplements of soy proteins may stimulate the growth of breast cancer cells. (23, 24)

Soy Proteins may. So any high level of soy MAY. Thin? Yeah. But it is mentioned. Yes, it mentioned in a paragraph how soy might actually reduce cancer risks.......

"supplements of soy proteins may" is what is says. You cutting "supplement" off doesn't change what Harvard is saying.

I don't understand what the word "supplement" has to do with it. If you eat high levels of soy whether is a supplement or not, it may increase the risk.
  • PMCPHI
    PMCPHI Posts: 1
    Options
    I love Almond Milk! I use the unsweetened in cereal and in place of regular milk. Haven't tried the Vanilla one yet, but I will.

Sorry about the cheese....I am lactose intolerant, but I refuse to give up my cheese!
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    So what I'm gathering is what most people are interested in is the taste and how many calories, not ingredients or what the healthiest choice may be? Which is fine if thats what your lookin for.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    Almond milk tastes the best. There is also flax milk, which is super low cal, but pretty meh tasting, and ancient grain milk (quinoa amaranth etc. ) that seems to be a reasonable compromise. I currently use almond milk and ancient grain milk.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    "supplements of soy proteins may" is what is says. You cutting "supplement" off doesn't change what Harvard is saying.

I don't understand what the word "supplement" has to do with it. If you eat high levels of soy whether is a supplement or not, it may increase the risk.
    The point is that 'supplements' generally implies levels that would be impossible to obtain through diet alone. i.e how many glasses of soy milk would you have to drink to reach the level soy protein where they saw adverse effects? 10? 50? I drink 1-2 glasses a day.

There is also the point that just because a lot of something is bad for you, doesn't mean that a little is also bad for you but in a smaller way. Vitamins are necessary for good health in certain amounts but there are adverse effects from too much of them.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

The point is that 'supplements' generally implies levels that would be impossible to obtain through diet alone. i.e how many glasses of soy milk would you have to drink to reach the level soy protein where they saw adverse effects? 10? 50? I drink 1-2 glasses a day.

There is also the point that just because a lot of something is bad for you, doesn't mean that a little is also bad for you but in a smaller way. Vitamins are necessary for good health in certain amounts but there are adverse effects from too much of them.

I take whey protein shakes so.......

There's no mention of actual quantity so I think it's hard to have a discussiona about amounts.
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    So what I'm gathering is what most people are interested in is the taste and how many calories, not ingredients or what the healthiest choice may be? Which is fine if thats what your lookin for.

Yes and no. Something can be the healthiest thing in the world, but if I can't stand to eat or drink it I'm not going to, regardless of how good it is for me. And since most of us here are counting calories that's one of the primary things we look at.

As I said earlier, 8th continent lite was the healthiest and tastiest soy milk I could find. It's low in fat, sugar, and it's non-gmo. What do you think is a healthy option?
  • EAH123
    EAH123 Posts: 40
    Options
    I'm not sure actually. I just got tested today and I CAN'T have cow's milk, butter, aged cheeses. I CAN have soft cheeses, sour cream, and yogurt.

Anyone heard of this?
    92% of most milk allergics can not handle other mammalian milks. This includes goat milk. Have you had reactions to milk? I have food allergies and am just curious.

Even though I can have milk, hemp milk is pretty good. I drink the Living Harvest one some.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    One of my posts was from the Harvard study site

It was from the Harvard School of Public Health site and was the same thing I posted. But it says nothing about studies by Harvard showing soy harmful.

I've read a lot about soy and have seen the dire warnings on the internet, but never from a medical site. I tend to ignore "health information" that can't be backed up by science. But, I don't want to hijack the thread, so I'll drop it..

Actually it did:

In fact, a handful of unsettling reports suggests that concentrated supplements of soy proteins may stimulate the growth of breast cancer cells. (23, 24

What do concentrated supplements of soy proteins have to do with soy milk? You said soy milk was bad.

1) I never said soy was anything
    2) That quote was inside the paragraph talking about soy products

Ah yes, you replied to my reply to someone else saying soy was dangerous so I assumed I was still talking to the same person. My mistake. But the entire paragraph you quote from Harvard was positive, except for the supplements. I don't do supplements so haven't researched those, but would tend to believe Harvard that it is "troubling". As for soy milk, I also agree with Harvard and consider it safe.

Here is the paragraph:

In fact, a handful of unsettling reports suggests that concentrated supplements of soy proteins may stimulate the growth of breast cancer cells. (23, 24)

Soy Proteins may. So any high level of soy MAY. Thin? Yeah. But it is mentioned. Yes, it mentioned in a paragraph how soy might actually reduce cancer risks.......

It has everything to do with it. Supplements are not the same thing as food. Supplements typically provide high amounts of something, in this case soy protein, at one time. Putting more of a substance in your body than it can use at one time is often harmful, and in no way equates to a normal amount of the substance being harmful when consumed slowly from food eaten at normal intervals.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    It states exactly what the supplement is. Soy protein.

Vegetarians for example will take iron or protein supplements if they are unable to get enough of those things in the diets.
  • Dayquasar
    Dayquasar Posts: 182 Member
    Options

Yes and no. Something can be the healthiest thing in the world, but if I can't stand to eat or drink it I'm not going to, regardless of how good it is for me. And since most of us here are counting calories that's one of the primary things we look at.

As I said earlier, 8th continent lite was the healthiest and tastiest soy milk I could find. It's low in fat, sugar, and it's non-gmo. What do you think is a healthy option?

Please see my post on page #1
  • bcattoes
    Options

Outside of allergies, I don't think soy, almond or rice milk are unhealthy. So, yeah for me it's mostly about taste. And habit. I switched to soy milk because I don't like regular milk. I didn't even know there was such a thing as almond milk back then. I don't remember seeing it at the store. Rice milk was available, but it was higher in sugar and low in protein so I went with soy since I liked it. But I do hope that the few studies showing menopause symptom relief from soy turn out to be true.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    It states exactly what the supplement is. Soy protein.

Vegetarians for example will take iron or protein supplements if they are unable to get enough of those things in the diets.

I don't understand your point, and it seem pretty clear you are not understanding mine either. Supplements are not the same as food. Iron supplements can be unhealthy if you take them when you don't need them because too much iron is unhealthy. The same is true of calcium supplements. That doesn't make foods that contain iron or calcium unhealthy.

Hopefully you can understand that concept.
  • vegancakelady
    vegancakelady Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Have you tried oat milk? That's thick like cows milk (be sure to shake it before you pour it).
    But - why do you feel the need to have any kind of milk? I've stopped using oat or rice milk in my smoothies now and use water & bananas instead. No loss in taste. If I want something to taste richer or creamer I add coconut milk (tinned).
    Good luck with your quest!
  • rachelbina
    rachelbina Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Silk almond milk. not very almondy tasting, but still good and only 35 calories a cup for unsweetened. i love it for cereal and smoothies.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Outside of allergies, I don't think soy, almond or rice milk are unhealthy. So, yeah for me it's mostly about taste. And habit. I switched to soy milk because I don't like regular milk. I didn't even know there was such a thing as almond milk back then. I don't remember seeing it at the store. Rice milk was available, but it was higher in sugar and low in protein so I went with soy since I liked it. But I do hope that the few studies showing menopause symptom relief from soy turn out to be true.

soy is garbage. avoid soy in anything as much as possible. go with unsweetened almond milk.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I use mostly Almond breeze its only 40cals a cup and it tastes good plus easy to find coupons for it :)
  • DesireeLovesOrganic
    DesireeLovesOrganic Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I do not do soy but if you decide to go that route, please make sure it is organic 100%. 99% of soy in the US is genetically modified. I buy unsweetened organic almond milk or unsweetened organic coconut milk. I don't like rice milk, too watery.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options

I take whey protein shakes so.......

There's no mention of actual quantity so I think it's hard to have a discussiona about amounts.
    I take whey protein shakes too? Made with soy milk. I don't know what that has to do with anything?