Almond Milk/Soy Milk/Rice Milk--Which is best?

Options
123457»

Replies

• amZhn
    amZhn Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Used to drink soy but I didnt really like the taste on its own.. I've recently switched to almond and I love the taste! And the brand of almond milk I use is lower cal than the soy I used to drink :)
  • chubbies35
    chubbies35 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    i used Almond Milk,, When i first started off i used Chocolate,, i like the taste ,, its towards the nutty side,, Unsweetned is the best but you have to adapt to it,, i use this milk in meal replacement shakes ,, taste great,, never had Rice Milk,, Did you ever try Coconut Milk,, its ok too
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I am in the UK and for me the best replacement milk product is kara milk replacement with calcuim its based on coconut

does not taste of coconut can be put into hot drinks and boiled without curdling and to me has no nasty after taste

I love this too. i haven't tried almond milk, but will get some next time as so many people recommend it.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    I struggle with this. I've tried so many soy and almond milks and for the most part - yuck. I know it's not the healthiest option by far but the only one I can stomach is Silk Chocolate.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    "supplements of soy proteins may" is what is says. You cutting "supplement" off doesn't change what Harvard is saying.

I don't understand what the word "supplement" has to do with it. If you eat high levels of soy whether is a supplement or not, it may increase the risk.
    The point is that 'supplements' generally implies levels that would be impossible to obtain through diet alone. i.e how many glasses of soy milk would you have to drink to reach the level soy protein where they saw adverse effects? 10? 50? I drink 1-2 glasses a day.

There is also the point that just because a lot of something is bad for you, doesn't mean that a little is also bad for you but in a smaller way. Vitamins are necessary for good health in certain amounts but there are adverse effects from too much of them.

I take whey protein shakes so.......

There's no mention of actual quantity so I think it's hard to have a discussiona about amounts.
    I take whey protein shakes too? Made with soy milk. I don't know what that has to do with anything?

Because someone is implying "supplements" are bad
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    "supplements of soy proteins may" is what is says. You cutting "supplement" off doesn't change what Harvard is saying.

I don't understand what the word "supplement" has to do with it. If you eat high levels of soy whether is a supplement or not, it may increase the risk.
    The point is that 'supplements' generally implies levels that would be impossible to obtain through diet alone. i.e how many glasses of soy milk would you have to drink to reach the level soy protein where they saw adverse effects? 10? 50? I drink 1-2 glasses a day.

There is also the point that just because a lot of something is bad for you, doesn't mean that a little is also bad for you but in a smaller way. Vitamins are necessary for good health in certain amounts but there are adverse effects from too much of them.

There's no mention of actual quantity so I think it's hard to have a discussiona about amounts.
    I take whey protein shakes too? Made with soy milk. I don't know what that has to do with anything?

It's not that black and white. Supplements can be helpful, or they can be harmful. It all depends on the supplement and what one's body needs. There are many nutrients that our bodies need to function properly that can be harmful in excess.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    It states exactly what the supplement is. Soy protein.

Vegetarians for example will take iron or protein supplements if they are unable to get enough of those things in the diets.

I don't understand your point, and it seem pretty clear you are not understanding mine either. Supplements are not the same as food. Iron supplements can be unhealthy if you take them when you don't need them because too much iron is unhealthy. The same is true of calcium supplements. That doesn't make foods that contain iron or calcium unhealthy.

Hopefully you can understand that concept.

The only difference is amount. You simply said you didn't see where in the Harvard study mentioning Soy being bad. I clarified where it did. If you take a small soy supplement, it's still a supplement. The question is amount. Which the article clearly states as concentrated. Again, what that menns is not clarified. But I'd imagine if one is a vegetarian and decides to take in all their proteins as say and decides to look for soy products as meat alternatives, I'd have to say, they'd be taking much more than a non-vegetarian. Now if that amount is enough to do anything is questionable.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

It's not that black and white. Supplements can be helpful, or they can be harmful. It all depends on the supplement and what one's body needs. There are many nutrients that our bodies need to function properly that can be harmful in excess.

No one said it was. But you are saying soy supplements are different than just plain soy for some reason. I say it's not.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    So what I'm gathering is what most people are interested in is the taste and how many calories, not ingredients or what the healthiest choice may be? Which is fine if thats what your lookin for.

Outside of allergies, I don't think soy, almond or rice milk are unhealthy. So, yeah for me it's mostly about taste. And habit. I switched to soy milk because I don't like regular milk. I didn't even know there was such a thing as almond milk back then. I don't remember seeing it at the store. Rice milk was available, but it was higher in sugar and low in protein so I went with soy since I liked it. But I do hope that the few studies showing menopause symptom relief from soy turn out to be true.

soy is garbage. avoid soy in anything as much as possible. go with unsweetened almond milk.

Soy is not garbage. There is plenty of medical evidence that soy is healthy.
  • bcattoes
    Options

No one said it was. But you are saying soy supplements are different than just plain soy for some reason. I say it's not.

I can say a fish oil pill is no different than a piece of salmon, but that won't make it true either.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

I can say a fish oil pill is no different than a piece of salmon, but that won't make it true either.

But you'd be wrong because salmon contains more than just fish oil. Terrible analogy
  • bcattoes
    Options

But you'd be wrong because salmon contains more than just fish oil. Terrible analogy

And soy beans contain more than just soy protein.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

*sign*. The Havard article is specifying SOY PROTEIN. Not soy beans.

I think you have a big need to be right no matter what.
  • bcattoes
    Options

No, go read it again. It said "soy protein supplements" may be harmful. And it said soy is not. Honestly, I can't believe you don't really see the difference. I think you just want to argue. But the Harvard article, with the link is on the thread so ppl can read for themselves.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options

No, go read it again. It said "soy protein supplements" may be harmful. And it said soy is not. Honestly, I can't believe you don't really see the difference. I think you just want to argue. But the Harvard article, with the link is on the thread so ppl can read for themselves.

Um you just said it. SOY PROTEIN. It does not matter if it's in supplement form or not. What exactly is the nutritutional differences inbtween the two? Differences that would make the supplement form cancer causing and the non-supplement form completely safe?
  • gamerkiwi
    gamerkiwi Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Almond -
    doesn't taste like Almond
    Diamond is a good brand
    Sweet?
    Higher in calories

Almond milk has like, 45 calories in a cup if you get it unsweetened. I get vanilla unsweetened and put tiny bits of Splenda to sweeten it up.
  • samsie84
    Options
    I just found the most amazing Almondmilk! It's Califia Farms Pure Almondmilk and is sooooo delicious and way less sweet and sickly than the other ones... It tastes just like real milk which is great and the bottles are amazing check their facebook page out Califia Farms. Love it!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Soy - No actual reputable studies that show soy causes cancer. Just think the Asians would be keeling over in droves since it's a major staple of their diet over there. Lots of flavors. I buy the light chocolate silk and use it to sweeten up plain cereal that has very little sugar in it.

Almond - Buy unsweetened and sweeten with stevia, equal, agave, etc.... I really like the vanilla flavored in my coffee and cereal.

Rice - Meh. Like drinking melted rice pudding which I am not super fond of.

Actually there are lots of health problems in China.... There's a big difference between fermented soy and unfermented soy products too. GMO is a concern for some of us as well.

My personal research shows me that there is nothing to be gained by eating soy, and I hate it.

Almond milk is mostly water, but I think it's ok.

The OP missed coconut milk. Now that I LOVE and makes me feel great.
  • TropicalFlowerz
    TropicalFlowerz Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    almond diamond,low cal 40 cals for 8oz it's great!!!!!!!