Offensive? Speed dating - women under sz 8 labels checked

Options

Replies

• fraser112
    fraser112 Posts: 405
    Options
    Seeing that there's filming involved, it's something fishy and weird. Personally, I think they should exclude men over a size 34 waist too, but... whatever. It's for TV, so therefore, it's all kinds of wrong, I'm sure.

i think the only measurment involved will be yearly earning for the men.
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I think that company has a terrible PR rep. There's nothing wrong with facilitated niche dating... I mean... people have their preferences... but the way they go about it is a little... for lack of a better word.... dumb
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    This is just moronic.
  • zellagrrl
    zellagrrl Posts: 439
    Options
    Seeing that there's filming involved, it's something fishy and weird. Personally, I think they should exclude men over a size 34 waist too, but... whatever. It's for TV, so therefore, it's all kinds of wrong, I'm sure.

i think the only measurment involved will be yearly earning for the men.

$200k min, verified via two past tax returns? I'm in.

J/K. I love my fiancé for who he is, not for his earning power or waist size. In the wise words of Margo (the advice columnist formerly of Dear Prudence on Slate and now Dear Margo on wowowow.com), those that marry for money earn it.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    Everyone has preferences.
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options

Please Note: This event is being fimed for a MAJOR show on ABC. All participants MUST be willing to be on camera. Each dater will receive one complimentary drink ticket.

Date women size 0-8.

Not surprised. It's for TV.
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I think that company has a terrible PR rep. There's nothing wrong with facilitated niche dating... I mean... people have their preferences... but the way they go about it is a little... for lack of a better word.... dumb

This. Though I think the wording is purposefully offensive to stir up controversy for whatever train wreck of a show they are filming it for.

Funny thing is I am a 4 with a few size 6 pieces in my closet, so I'd qualify, but I know quite a few people with lower body fat and who look leaner than me that wear bigger sizes.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i'm definitely not a size 8 and im not offended. not in the least. i see this as being no different than speed dating events related to height, age, gender, ethnicity, career fields, etc.

since when did people's sexual attractions and physical preferences need to become politically correct?

if people dont like it then organize your own event ..
  • 1_Happy_Camper
    Options
    <<<<<<<< 6'3" 228 pick me! pick me! lol

Sweet... where can I find one where the guys are all over 6'2" and weight at least 200 lbs! I hate it when I weigh almost as much as my guy!

JK, but seriously... people do the same thing on online dating sites, or try to, so what's the difference? Speed dating is supposed to be efficient... why not make it uber-efficient. It's not like they're forcing girls into the system. You get what you pay for... and if that's a guy or girl who starts with looks, then so be it.
  • NU2U
    NU2U Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Men will be boys..
  • dragon_tattoo
    dragon_tattoo Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I think that the dating thing is fine, I'm a UK size 8-10 so that would be a US 6-8 and I just see it as some men DO have preferences. For example, some men prefer 'bigger' ladies and there are websites and dating forums encouraging and supporting this but I don't think I've ever heard of a website only targeting the smaller size demographic so is that concidered controversial? No, because psychological studies have been conducted where participants had to assign personality traits to both smaller and bigger ladies. Unfortunately, the stereotypes were that bigger ladies were 'unfit, lazy, had no control' but that smaller ladies were 'heartless, cold and probably career motivated.' Now we all know that these are massive stereotypes and you can have a bigger lady who is an extremely hard worker and a smaller lady who is lazy, it figures. However, you specifically design something to be targeted toward smaller sized ladies and its controversial and outrageous (because of the stereotype) but targeting bigger ladies is seen as them 'believing in themselves and feeling beautiful no matter what.'

Different gender but my boyfriend is incredibly thin and has fully been called a 'skinny freak' before which some people respond to by saying 'well they called you skinny so thats not really an insult, at least you're thin.' To which he responds 'its an insult to my build and therefore to me, how would you feel if I called someone a fat slob? You'd be outraged. So why is it not the same for thin people?'

I don't know. The speed dating thing doesn't bother me but stereotypes do.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    i see this as being no different than speed dating events related to height, age, gender, ethnicity, career fields, etc.

since when did people's sexual attractions and physical preferences need to become politically correct?

if people dont like it then organize your own event ..

This. If they can have christian mingle sites, different racial sites, wealthy men sites, etc. then why can't they have one for specific weight/measurements?

I also have to respectfully disagree with the people saying that they have a bad PR person. We're all on a fitness/weight loss site talking about it, aren't we? & I'm sure many other people are talking about it, too. All press is good press.

Edited to fix spelling.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    That's just crazy. So any woman who wears above a size 8 is not attractive?? That's a rather narrow minded chauvinistic view especially for the year 2012. No wonder so many women have body image issues. Marilyn Monroe would have been too 'fat' to join. And no restrictions for the men?
  • illuminatusObservor
    Options
    It is no different to a BBW meet is it. Is that OK because it is "big" women only?

Good point^^
  • NU2U
    Options
    Isn't this the kind of behavior that make young girls do ANYTHING just to be skinny....anything, to the point of hurting themselves to be "accepted"?

Will society ever place such demands on a man to have washboard abs, a 10inch pen!$, and a head full of hair..............to be considered "attractive"?
  • JennieAL
    Options
    Isn't this the kind of behavior that make young girls do ANYTHING just to be skinny....anything, to the point of hurting themselves to be "accepted"?

Will society ever place such demands on a man to have washboard abs, a 10inch pen!$, and a head full of hair..............to be considered "attractive"?

Men need money. Women need tiny waists and big tits.
  • NU2U
    Options

Lol....I don't care how much money he has....at SOME point you're gonna HAVE to look at him without thinking "WTF!!".
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Everyone involved there knows exactly what they're getting into. If those women are happy with that arrangement and want to date shallow guys, that's fine with me; take them out of the dating pool so no one else has to deal with them. It seems like a win on every side. It certainly seems better to know the guy's attitude up front than have him lie to get into a relationship and spring it on her later.
  • Tropical_Turtle
    Tropical_Turtle Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    I think the offensive thing is the fact that there's no max size given for guys. If you're gonna be like this and make sure no 'fat' girls go, then do the girls a favor and also keep the 'fat' guys out. Not that I'd be admitted with my 12, but I'm just saying: at least measure both genders to the same standard!

^^ This - keep it equal across the board
  • JennieAL
    Options

Lol....I don't care how much money he has....at SOME point you're gonna HAVE to look at him without thinking "WTF!!".

Context, context. It's for TV.