Offensive? Speed dating - women under sz 8 labels checked

Options

Replies

• ebeans887
    ebeans887 Posts: 32
    Options
    I don;t see what would be offensive? If you don't like it, don't go. Men looking for that size woman will look for her either way, speed dating or not.
  • MyFeistyEvolution
    MyFeistyEvolution Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    Well if that is the case, I hope they only let guys through the door with 6+ inches of steel....

Seems fair to me.
  • MissTattoo
    MissTattoo Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    A man had to come up with this. Why isn't there a requirement on the size of men?
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Fat women* are pretty rare in NYC from my observation (other than tourists I suppose). This is meant to be controversial and garner attention as opposed to truly weeding out a large segment of the population. I think they should have a "buff guys only" speed dating event. I volunteer to do "buffness checking" at the door.

*not implying that size 8 is fat - on some people it might be and others it surely would not be

Do you live in NYC? Because I do, and I know, see, and socialize with tons of people who are bigger than a size 8. So many people.

Maybe it depends on the part of the city? I live in ny and compared to when I visit family out of state, there really aren't many fat women in nyc. Or maybe there are and they stay home, who knows.
  • NNAhuja
    NNAhuja Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Size varies SO much with height! I 5'8 size 8 and a 5'0 size 8 are going to look HELLA different!
    I'm loving the curves I have as a size 12/14 (JUST checked the label).
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    It all sounds like a bunch of drama being created for the camera.

I think it's ridiculous. Restricting clothing size, to some extent, will not guarantee skinny people. Haha... how naive! And what's "skinny" anyway?

Size 8 pants on a 5'3" woman will look VERY different than the same size 8 pants on a 5'11" woman. LOL

I own and fit comfortably into a pair of size 10, 8, 6, and 4 pants (honestly). All four pairs are made by different manufacturers and obviously have different sizing schemes. hehe.
  • MrsR0SE
    MrsR0SE Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I think the offensive thing is the fact that there's no max size given for guys. If you're gonna be like this and make sure no 'fat' girls go, then do the girls a favor and also keep the 'fat' guys out. Not that I'd be admitted with my 12, but I'm just saying: at least measure both genders to the same standard!

Exactly, that was my thought too!!
  • JulieH3art
    JulieH3art Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You said it in the first post: If they subject themselves to this, these women deserve what they get.

Gross.
  • rmhand
    rmhand Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Extremely offensive.

I'd love to see my mom walk in with not one tag on her clothing for them to check to verify her dress size. She makes a lot of her own clothes.
  • DannyMussels
    DannyMussels Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that everyone can get so upset at their criteria, yet seem to think it's alright to call down and judge the men that go to them.

You're really just as bad as them.

Lots of name calling going around in this thread. As usual.

:flowerforyou:
  • WildFlower7
    WildFlower7 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Not offensive at all - everybody is into something. There are tons of dating sites that a very specific - Asian singles, jewish singles, black singles, BBW singles, this is just the same thing in real life. It shouldn't really bother you if you aren't going.

This. It's a little weird, but weird people should get to date, too. LOL.

These^ If a certain size is your thing, go for it. Everyone has their own "things." and yes you have to be attracted to someone to have a connection, wether it be physical or emotional. Depends on what rings your bell I guess. If it's offensive to you, simple solution, don't go.
  • zebraspots2069
    zebraspots2069 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Well, they have BBW events. Parties for men attracted to ONLY Larger women.(300+) I wasn't offended by that when I heard about it,(altho, I was told that I was not big enough when i was @ my largest), so i guess I cant be offended by the Skinny Minny Dating party.

But checking labels, that's a bit much....
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I think it's just stupid! I understand preferences and television, but it's just not very smart.

Obviously a woman who is a size 10 and is 5'11 looks quite a bit different from a woman who is the same size whom is eleven inches shorter.

Either way, who cares!

So the sites that are for BBW only are ok?
  • ilikepandasyay
    ilikepandasyay Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Fat women* are pretty rare in NYC from my observation (other than tourists I suppose). This is meant to be controversial and garner attention as opposed to truly weeding out a large segment of the population. I think they should have a "buff guys only" speed dating event. I volunteer to do "buffness checking" at the door.

*not implying that size 8 is fat - on some people it might be and others it surely would not be

Do you live in NYC? Because I do, and I know, see, and socialize with tons of people who are bigger than a size 8. So many people.

Maybe it depends on the part of the city? I live in ny and compared to when I visit family out of state, there really aren't many fat women in nyc. Or maybe there are and they stay home, who knows.

I'm talking Midtown, Downtown, Soho, Bed-Stuy, Kensington, Park Slope, UWS, LES... I make my way around the city and while there are plenty of people under size 8 there's also PLENTY of people above it.
  • Kissybiz
    Kissybiz Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Damn Yankees.

I'll stick with Texas :laugh:

Amen to that!
  • osualex
    osualex Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I think it's kind of stupid but I think any singles event based purely on physical appearance is kind of stupid, be it BBW, skinny women, blondes, redheads, etc...

Whatever, like someone else posted before, people's attractions do not have to be politically correct, and I am not offended by it. If size 8 women are willingly showing up to this event knowing that that's how they're being judged, then that is their choice.
  • dawnstrassburg
    Options
    it would be awesome if you get some size 12 and 14 women to squeeze into a size 8 shirt and show up. i dont mean this in a offensive way, but jsut to show that a average soman is sexy
  • zebraspots2069
    zebraspots2069 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Proud + size 10 girl here.
    Everyone is entitled to thier opinion and preference.

With that being said....
    <
    Too bad they would miss out on all this :laugh: :tongue:

GET IT GHURL!!! ROVK that 10!!
  • MadeOfMagic
    MadeOfMagic Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    It wouldn't have been offensive if they put a size requirment for men as well...I mean it's only fair if they get to get girls with great bods than so should we. Or even better next speed dating title should be "Speed Dating Event: Size 6 **** Need Not Apply", lolz jk jk
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options

I'm talking Midtown, Downtown, Soho, Bed-Stuy, Kensington, Park Slope, UWS, LES... I make my way around the city and while there are plenty of people under size 8 there's also PLENTY of people above it.

I'm not saying they're non existent but its definitely not as common as other places. Last time I went to Orlando I felt like everyone was fat. Same in north carolina.