The poisonous oil, you must not eat

Options
Ironbeak88
Ironbeak88 Posts: 24 Member
AKA CANOLA OIL! Watch out for vegetable oil also.

Please take a look-
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/canola.asp

Replies

• PeachyPlum
    PeachyPlum Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    But....the article says it's false.

I'm confused.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Yeah..snopes is an excellent site for correcting all the crap myths out there. I post the link to fake stuff on my FB account about 10x a week.

I am HOPING the OP was 'tongue in cheek'..since clearly the article is wrong...but I couldn't tell :)
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting. :flowerforyou:
  • TripleJ3
    TripleJ3 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I like how the sister stopped consuming canola because when she spilled some on her clothes, it left a stain she couldn't wash out so it must be bad......:laugh:
  • HarrietSabre
    HarrietSabre Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    That article is offensive to my biology degree
  • Ironbeak88
    Options
    Honestly idk why it says false at the top...But to back this up I work at a health food store and both the nutritionist there say that it is indeed poison.
  • Ironbeak88
    Options
    You're very welcome! =)
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Honestly idk why it says false at the top...But to back this up I work at a health food store and both the nutritionist there say that it is indeed poison.

I figured you had to be sarcastic, but I guess not. The article states the claim is false because it is in fact, false. Why would you back up your claim with an article that refutes that very position you're taking?

Besides, how awesome is a rape plant? Sounds delicious.

On a completely unrelated note, while we're talking about the poisonous canola oil we should also bring up the equally dangerous dihydrogen monoxide. Both of them should be banned, clearly.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

In what dosage?
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    It says False because it's not true. Snopes is a website dedicated to debunking common myths. A ton of Facebook and email scams/hoaxes and just plain misinformation type things have been refuted.

I've never seen such BS in my life, LOL
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options

From the Snopes article:
    In 1974, rapeseed varieties with a low erucic content were introduced. Scientists had found a way to replace almost all of rapeseed's erucic acid with oleic acid, a type of monounsaturated fatty acid. (This change was accomplished through the crossbreeding of plants, not by the techniques commonly referred to as "genetic engineering.") By 1978, all Canadian rapeseed produced for food use contained less than 2% erucic acid. The Canadian seed oil industry rechristened the product "canola oil" (Canadian oil) in 1978 in an attempt to distance the product from negative associations with the word "rape." Canola was introduced to American consumers in 1986. By 1990, erucic acid levels in canola oil ranged from 0.5% to 1.0%, in compliance with U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) standards. This light, tasteless oil's popularity is due to the structure of its fats. It is lower in saturated fat (about 6%) than any other oil. Compare this to the high saturated fat content of peanut oil (about 18%) and palm oil (at an incredibly high 79%). It also contains more cholesterol-balancing monounsaturated fat than any oil except olive oil and has the distinction of containing Omega-3 fatty acids, a polyunsaturated fat reputed to not only lower both cholesterol and triglycerides, but also to contribute to brain growth and development.

In other words, it's a healthy oil. One shouldn't feel afraid to use it because of some Internet scare loosely based on half-truths and outright lies.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Cold pressed Canola Oil is from a genetically modified rapeseed plant. The rapeseed is mildly toxic to humans. Canola is a name derived from Canadian Oil Company the primary agri-conglomerate that makes it. There is a lot of info here http://www.canolainfo.org/canola/index.php

BTW, this organization's purpose is to promote Canola Oil sales. It is a generally a highly processed oil. One of the ways the oil is extracted, according to this website is with the use of Hexane, a know neurotoxin that is used in the Far East in the manufacture of computer components. One of the issues with Apple's Chinese manufaturing subcontractors is that people were working with hexane without adequate protection cause nerve damage.

In fairness, cold pressed Canola Oil has less issues. For me, all things considered, there are so many better choices that I see no need to include Canola Oil in my diet.
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Without Canola oil, I have no tortillas.

Without tortillas, I am not happy.

I will continue to be happy, with tortillas and canola oil.
  • vade43113
    vade43113 Posts: 836 Member
    Options

I figured you had to be sarcastic, but I guess not. The article states the claim is false because it is in fact, false. Why would you back up your claim with an article that refutes that very position you're taking?

Besides, how awesome is a rape plant? Sounds delicious.

On a completely unrelated note, while we're talking about the poisonous canola oil we should also bring up the equally dangerous dihydrogen monoxide. Both of them should be banned, clearly.

ut... but.... dihydrogen monoxide, tastes soooooooooo goods.... Nothing that good tasting can possibly be bad for you
  • theladyy
    theladyy Posts: 176
    Options

It's Snopes, hunny...are you really that new to the Internet?
  • Genem30
    Genem30 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    Drink it like a fine wine...

I think I just made myself kind of nauseous.
  • now_or_never12
    now_or_never12 Posts: 849 Member
    Options

It's Snopes, hunny...are you really that new to the Internet?

Sorry but I have to agree! The write up is a load of crap
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Canola oil is the spawn of satan.

Kidding, don't believe everything the hippies at the health food store say. Same goes for nutritionists.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Without Canola oil, I have no tortillas.

Without tortillas, I am not happy.

I will continue to be happy, with tortillas and canola oil.

I think you would be just as happy if not more so with peanut oil. (I am a proffesional chef btw) It has many of the same smoke point and texture characteristics.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Peanut oil is my second favorite oil, nothing tops good old extra virgin olive, though. I only use peanut oil for peanut butter or "wok-ing." Just pan fried some flounder in extra virgin olive oil, with my absolute favorite fish breading, good old Ritz cracker crumbs. A bit of salt, a squeeze of lemon, and perfect.

Canola oil isn't bad per se, there's just no need for it, other than it's cheap. Olive oil, peanut oil, butter, that's pretty much all you need.