The poisonous oil, you must not eat

Options

Replies

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    Yes, REALLY! "Canola oil comes from the crushed seeds of the canola plant. Canola is part of the Brassica family. Cabbages, broccoli and cauliflower are also part of this same botanical family. Each canola plant grows from 3 to 6 feet (1 m -2 m) tall and produces beautiful yellow flowers. As the plant matures, pods form that are similar in shape to pea pods, but about 1/5th the size. Each pod contains about twenty tiny round black or brownish-yellow seeds."

And here is the article.
    http://www.canolainfo.org/canola/index.php

YOUR INFORMATION IS OUTDATED! You are speaking in ancient times.

Canola is a hybrid oil originating from rapeseed, it's called Canola, but it all derived from rapeseed

From your link: Under history of Canola

History of the canola plant

From simple beginnings in the 1940s, Canada's canola industry has faced and overcome many challenges. Alternative markets were developed, nutritional studies were implemented, and extensive plant breeding to modify the nutritional make-up of rapeseed was undertaken.

The 1950s

1950: Area seeded to rapeseed dropped to 162 hectares (400 acres) from a high in 1948 of 32,300 hectares (80,000 acres). The postwar availability of other edible oils eliminated the need for rapeseed, but some processors continued to pursue industrial oil export markets. In the early 1950s, both the National Research Council and private oil processors in Canada were experimenting with edible uses for rapeseed, in part because rapeseed looked so promising from an agronomic standpoint, and Prairie farmers needed an alternative cash crop.

1954: Golden, the first Canadian Brassica napus rapeseed variety, was licensed.

1956-57: The first edible rapeseed oil extract in Canada was produced, marking the beginning of what was to become one of Canada's success stories.

1956: The food and drug directorate of the Department of National Health and Welfare (now Health Canada) ruled that rapeseed was not an approved edible oil in Canada. The department was persuaded to withdraw its objection pending a submission to show that the oil was safe.

1958: After some 18 months of feeding trials on experimental animals, in which no harmful effects from feeding rapeseed oil were observed, the directorate removed its objection. During the same year, Dr. Baldur R. Stefansson and Dr. Keith Downey began breeding work to reduce erucic acid content in rapeseed.

The 1960s

1963: A futures market for rapeseed was established on The Winnipeg Commodity Exchange.

1964: Echo, the first Canadian Brassica campestris (now rapa) rapeseed variety was licensed.

1965: For the first time, more than 400,000 hectares (one million acres) were seeded to rapeseed on the Prairies.

1967: The Rapeseed Association of Canada was founded to represent the needs of the industry from growers through to processors, exporters and end-users.

1968: Oro, the first low-erucic acid B. napus rapeseed variety, was released.

Pullquote
    Canola was bred naturally from its parent rapeseed in the early 1970s. Canola, however, is NOT rapeseed - their nutritional profiles are very different.
    Pullquote

The 1970s

1970: A paper presented at an international conference on rapeseed in Ste. Adele, Quebec, called into question the continued use of rapeseed as an edible oil due to its erucic acid content. Although there was no evidence of harmful effects in humans, the Minister of Health Canada stated that it would be prudent to change over to low-erucic acid varieties as soon as practicable.

1971: Span, the first low-erucic acid B. rapa rapeseed variety was released. Rapeseed acreage in Canada exceeded 2 million hectares (5 million acres) for the first time.

1974: Tower, the first canola, was released. This new B. napus variety meant that Canada could now produce oil and meal which was nutritionally superior to that produced from rapeseed in other parts of the world.

1976: The conversion to low-erucic acid varieties reached an average 98.5%.

1977: Candle, the first B. rapa canola variety, was released.

1978: The term canola was trademarked by the Western Canadian Oilseed Crushers' Association (now the Canadian Oilseed Processors Association) to differentiate the superior low-erucic acid and low-glucosinolate varieties and their products from the older rapeseed varieties.

1979: Over 3.4 million hectares (8.4 million acres) were seeded to canola. During the 1978-79 crop year, Japanese imports of canola seed exceeded one million tonnes for the first time.
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    363y7r.jpg
    Canola comes from the Canola plant, not the rapeseed plant. Things changed in the 1970s.

That is just what they WANT you to think. I woke up next to an empty bottle of "canola" oil. There was nothing canola about it!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i was going to say dr. oz's snake oil
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Two first posts (full of dipsh!ttery) from new people on a 7 month old thread?

There may be shenanigans afoot.
    Yeah, but it's just as silly and pointless now as it was back then.

And Mercola is still quote possibly a bigger quack than Dr. Oz.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yes, REALLY! "Canola oil comes from the crushed seeds of the canola plant. Canola is part of the Brassica family. Cabbages, broccoli and cauliflower are also part of this same botanical family. Each canola plant grows from 3 to 6 feet (1 m -2 m) tall and produces beautiful yellow flowers. As the plant matures, pods form that are similar in shape to pea pods, but about 1/5th the size. Each pod contains about twenty tiny round black or brownish-yellow seeds."

And here is the article.

Canola is a hybrid oil originating from rapeseed, it's called Canola, but it all derived from rapeseed

From your link: Under history of Canola

History of the canola plant

From simple beginnings in the 1940s, Canada's canola industry has faced and overcome many challenges. Alternative markets were developed, nutritional studies were implemented, and extensive plant breeding to modify the nutritional make-up of rapeseed was undertaken.

The 1950s

1950: Area seeded to rapeseed dropped to 162 hectares (400 acres) from a high in 1948 of 32,300 hectares (80,000 acres). The postwar availability of other edible oils eliminated the need for rapeseed, but some processors continued to pursue industrial oil export markets. In the early 1950s, both the National Research Council and private oil processors in Canada were experimenting with edible uses for rapeseed, in part because rapeseed looked so promising from an agronomic standpoint, and Prairie farmers needed an alternative cash crop.

1954: Golden, the first Canadian Brassica napus rapeseed variety, was licensed.

1956-57: The first edible rapeseed oil extract in Canada was produced, marking the beginning of what was to become one of Canada's success stories.

1956: The food and drug directorate of the Department of National Health and Welfare (now Health Canada) ruled that rapeseed was not an approved edible oil in Canada. The department was persuaded to withdraw its objection pending a submission to show that the oil was safe.

1958: After some 18 months of feeding trials on experimental animals, in which no harmful effects from feeding rapeseed oil were observed, the directorate removed its objection. During the same year, Dr. Baldur R. Stefansson and Dr. Keith Downey began breeding work to reduce erucic acid content in rapeseed.

The 1960s

1963: A futures market for rapeseed was established on The Winnipeg Commodity Exchange.

1964: Echo, the first Canadian Brassica campestris (now rapa) rapeseed variety was licensed.

1965: For the first time, more than 400,000 hectares (one million acres) were seeded to rapeseed on the Prairies.

1967: The Rapeseed Association of Canada was founded to represent the needs of the industry from growers through to processors, exporters and end-users.

1968: Oro, the first low-erucic acid B. napus rapeseed variety, was released.

Pullquote
    Canola was bred naturally from its parent rapeseed in the early 1970s. Canola, however, is NOT rapeseed - their nutritional profiles are very different.
    Pullquote

The 1970s

1970: A paper presented at an international conference on rapeseed in Ste. Adele, Quebec, called into question the continued use of rapeseed as an edible oil due to its erucic acid content. Although there was no evidence of harmful effects in humans, the Minister of Health Canada stated that it would be prudent to change over to low-erucic acid varieties as soon as practicable.

1971: Span, the first low-erucic acid B. rapa rapeseed variety was released. Rapeseed acreage in Canada exceeded 2 million hectares (5 million acres) for the first time.

1974: Tower, the first canola, was released. This new B. napus variety meant that Canada could now produce oil and meal which was nutritionally superior to that produced from rapeseed in other parts of the world.

1976: The conversion to low-erucic acid varieties reached an average 98.5%.

1977: Candle, the first B. rapa canola variety, was released.

1978: The term canola was trademarked by the Western Canadian Oilseed Crushers' Association (now the Canadian Oilseed Processors Association) to differentiate the superior low-erucic acid and low-glucosinolate varieties and their products from the older rapeseed varieties.

1979: Over 3.4 million hectares (8.4 million acres) were seeded to canola. During the 1978-79 crop year, Japanese imports of canola seed exceeded one million tonnes for the first time.
    Correct! But it is a Canola plant, not a rapeseed plant. It came from the ground too, but it isn't dirt. Get it now?
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options
    Two first posts (full of dipsh!ttery) from new people on a 7 month old thread?

There may be shenanigans afoot.
    Yeah, but it's just as silly and pointless now as it was back then.

And Mercola is still quote possibly a bigger quack than Dr. Oz.
    If it were so, "pointless" you wouldn't be here reading it, now would you?
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I'm bored at the moment. And have an odd fascination with stupidity. Next I think I'll go read about the "Master Cleanse Fast".
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options
    I'm bored at the moment. And have an odd fascination with stupidity. Next I think I'll go read about the "Master Cleanse Fast".
    Thank you for sharing. Sorry, you aren't already educated on it. Glad you took the time to "read" my profile. I certainly won't waste time reading yours. :yawn:
  • neanderthin
    Options
    Correct! But it is a Canola plant, not a rapeseed plant. It came from the ground too, but it isn't dirt. Get it now?

Yoy, It's a low-erucic acid hybrid origination from rapeseed, same plant different levels or erucic acid, then they slapped the name Canola on it. Do you have a problem with the connotation of rape.....I mean that is the reason they changed the name.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    Options

Yoy, It's a low-erucic acid hybrid origination from rapeseed, same plant different levels or erucic acid, then they slapped the name Canola on it. Do you have a problem with the connotation of rape.....I mean that is the reason they changed the name.
    Some people don't have the capacity to understand things. I feel sort of bad for you, but it's okay, thanks for trying. Take care!
  • neanderthin
    Options

Some people don't have the capacity to understand things. I feel sort of bad for you, but it's okay, thanks for trying. Take care!
    Nice ad hominem.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

Me too - hence me making some tenuous excuse to tag this thread by commenting on your post.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    This thread has turned more toxic than any oil!

Thank you to whoever resurrected this thread so that I could discover that I do NOT need to avoid canola oil. Thank you for the nasty poo comment too. It made me wonder because there is a certain pizza chain that undoes my whole family's stomachs. It's more likely to be a food hygiene issue, but I did check their website and canola oil is in their pizza sauce, so there just might be a connection there...

And my modern languages degree is offended too. A rose by any other name...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    This thread has turned more toxic than any oil!

Thank you to whoever resurrected this thread so that I could discover that I do NOT need to avoid canola oil. Thank you for the nasty poo comment too. It made me wonder because there is a certain pizza chain that undoes my whole family's stomachs. It's more likely to be a food hygiene issue, but I did check their website and canola oil is in their pizza sauce, so there just might be a connection there...

And my modern languages degree is offended too. A rose by any other name...

My degree is offended that it feels left out by the other degrees!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Honestly idk why it says false at the top...But to back this up I work at a health food store and both the nutritionist there say that it is indeed poison.
    Interesting. I must be immune.
  • rml_16
    Options
    people can say it's safe all they want, but we have proven again and again that both my husband and his brother are allergic to/or react to this oil with horrible diarrhea within 12 hours of consuming the food item . I even 'tested' it out on my hubby to make sure it wasn't 'in his head' and sure enough, he got sick after eating something with canola oil in it that he would have never expected to contain it. I'm not saying it bothers everyone, but if you are having digestive problems and can't figure out why try avoiding foods with canola oil in them for awhile and see if it helps. It doesn't bother me, but I'm avoiding it too--not sure I want something in my body that has that kind of effect on anyone!!

I assume you don't eat peanuts, either, since some people die if they do? And you stay away from all animals, since some people are allergic to them?

My mother is allergic to synthetic carpeting. I hope you don't have any of that in your home!

And don't eat anything with eggs because some people are allergic to them.
  • rml_16
    Options

And here is the article.

The canola plant IS the rapeseed plant:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canola-oil/AN01281

The canola plant was developed by natural crossbreeding from the rapeseed plant. Canola oil is produced from canola plants, not rapeseed plants. Canola plants have very low levels of erucic acid.
  • Mofette
    Mofette Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    This thread is now all about your favourite oil.

My favourite oil is Sesame Oil - this means that I'm eating Asian foods.

This is closely followed by Chili Oil and Milfoil.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    This thread is now all about your favourite oil.

My favourite oil is Sesame Oil - this means that I'm eating Asian foods.

This is closely followed by Chili Oil and Milfoil.

MILF oil. Sounds intriguing.........
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    My chemical engineering degree is fairly noncommittal.

But my knowledge of genetic engineering plants tells me that there are very few of the people on this website who are not regularly eating genetically engineered vegetables and fruits (so long as they are actually eating vegetables and fruits).