The poisonous oil, you must not eat

Options

Replies

• S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Yes, REALLY! "Canola oil comes from the crushed seeds of the canola plant. Canola is part of the Brassica family. Cabbages, broccoli and cauliflower are also part of this same botanical family. Each canola plant grows from 3 to 6 feet (1 m -2 m) tall and produces beautiful yellow flowers. As the plant matures, pods form that are similar in shape to pea pods, but about 1/5th the size. Each pod contains about twenty tiny round black or brownish-yellow seeds."

And here is the article.
    http://www.canolainfo.org/canola/index.php

YOUR INFORMATION IS OUTDATED! You are speaking in ancient times.

The canola plant IS the rapeseed plant:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/canola-oil/AN01281

The canola plant was developed by natural crossbreeding from the rapeseed plant. Canola oil is produced from canola plants, not rapeseed plants. Canola plants have very low levels of erucic acid.
    Nope, the canola plant ISN'T the rapeseed plant, it just comes from it. I came from my mother, but I am NOT my mother. A cake comes from flour but it is not flour. An egg comes from a chicken, but a chicken is not an egg. When I eat an egg, I am eating an egg. When I eat chicken, it is chicken and not an egg. I get different levels of protein, fat, vitamins, etc from both.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Yes, REALLY! "Canola oil comes from the crushed seeds of the canola plant. Canola is part of the Brassica family. Cabbages, broccoli and cauliflower are also part of this same botanical family. Each canola plant grows from 3 to 6 feet (1 m -2 m) tall and produces beautiful yellow flowers. As the plant matures, pods form that are similar in shape to pea pods, but about 1/5th the size. Each pod contains about twenty tiny round black or brownish-yellow seeds."

And here is the article.

The canola plant was developed by natural crossbreeding from the rapeseed plant. Canola oil is produced from canola plants, not rapeseed plants. Canola plants have very low levels of erucic acid.
    Nope, the canola plant ISN'T the rapeseed plant, it just comes from it. I came from my mother, but I am NOT my mother. A cake comes from flour but it is not flour. An egg comes from a chicken, but a chicken is not an egg. When I eat an egg, I am eating an egg. When I eat chicken, it is chicken and not an egg. I get different levels of protein, fat, vitamins, etc from both.
    You may not BE your mother, but I assume you are still a human.

And the egg may not be a full-grown chicken, but it has the same DNA as a chicken.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

And here is the article.

WTH, it's a cultivar of rapeseed. The rest is semantics.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Canola oil has trans fats in it which seems like a good enough reason to avoid it all by itself -- no scary stories needed.
  • rml_16
    Options
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    One little-known source of trans fat is canola / rapeseed oil. The trans fat occurs as a result of processing, which takes place at high temperature. The raw seed begins with a high level of beneficial omega-3 oils, however these tend to oxidise during processing producing off, rancid odours. During deodorisation, some of the omega-3 fatty acids are converted to trans.

The proportion converted to trans is highly variable - in general, UK oils have low levels of trans, however Researchers at the University of Florida at Gainesville, found that liquid canola / rapeseed oils sold in the USA contained as much as 4.6 percent trans fat. Currently this trans fat content is not usually listed on labels and consumers have no way of knowing it is present.

http://www.tfx.org.uk/page13.html

Canola oil (provided that it has not been hydrogenated to increase its stability) contains very small amounts of trans fatty acids at levels too low to be a health concern. The levels of trans fat in non-hydrogenated canola oil are below 0.5 grams per serving and qualify for a label claim of "trans fat free." I don't see any reason to shy away from non-hydrogenated canola oil on account of trans fat.

http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=39

Trans Fat: Hiding in ‘Heart-Healthy’ Seed Oils

Of course, we should be eating those ‘heart-healthy’ polyunsaturated seed oils instead, right? Like ‘canola’ (rapeseed) oil?

Well, aside from the fact that seed oils contain mostly pro-inflammatory n-6 (“omega-6″) polyunsaturated fats, both n-6 and n-3 polyunsaturated fats are less chemically stable than saturated fats. It turns out that the process of extracting and deodorizing them (which requires both hexane, a poisonous industrial solvent, and high heat) turns some quantity of them into…trans fats!

SEAN. O’KEEFE, SARA. GASKINS-WRIGHT, VIRGINIA. WILEY, I-CHEN. CHEN. LEVELS OF TRANS GEOMETRICAL ISOMERS OF ESSENTIAL FATTY ACIDS IN SOME UNHYDROGENATED U. S. VEGETABLE OILS. J Food Lipids Vol 1 #3 pp.165-176 Sept. 1994

Concentrations of trans isomers of 18:2w6 and 18:3w3 were measured in soybean and canola oils purchased in the U. S. [...] The degree of isomerizations of 18:2w6 and 18:3w3 ranged from 0.3% to 3.3% and 6.6% to 37.1%, respectively. The trans contents were between 0.56% and 4.2% of the total fatty acids.

Yes, that’s the ‘heart-healthy’ canola oil that they put in everything nowadays because it has ALA in it (the least useful omega-3). Yet the average canola oil contains over 2% trans fat! (Remember: 2% of calories = doubling of heart disease risk.) And if extraction under carefully-controlled conditions creates that much trans fat, how much more does the uncontrolled heat of cooking and frying create?

(We don’t know—but we do know that n-3 fats are less chemically stable than n-6 fats, and generally get hydrogenated first. So all those “Omega-3 Enriched!” oils become “Trans-Fat Enriched!” when you cook with them. For evidence of this, we move to the next section…)

http://www.gnolls.org/1240/eat-more-heart-healthy-trans-fats-we-hid-them-in-plain-sight/

ETA:
    For clarity, my post was in response to rml_16's deleted post stating canola oil doesn't contain transfats.
  • wlkumpf
    wlkumpf Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I don't trust snopes anymore. THey are a couple with no expertise in anything. They only look up information on the web and while I used to do that for myself, I turned to snopes thinking they were some great expert. Now, I am back to looking for trusted articles. really difficult with the amount of conflicting stuff, but snopes is just one of the conflicters.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    All arguments aside, it's gorgeous and smells SOOOO good when it's in bloom.
  • maryjaquiss
    maryjaquiss Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    You pay a fortune for cold pressed organic rapeseed oil here in the UK
  • rml_16
    Options
    ETA:
    For clarity, my post was in response to rml_16's deleted post stating canola oil doesn't contain transfats.

Which I deleted before you posted. :-)
  • Kotuliak
    Kotuliak Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    On a completely unrelated note, while we're talking about the poisonous canola oil we should also bring up the equally dangerous dihydrogen monoxide. Both of them should be banned, clearly.
    Dope is right, this is highly toxic stuff. The only way that it can be administered safely is after it's been treated with Humulus Lupulus and few other ingredients.
  • S_U_M_M_E_R
    S_U_M_M_E_R Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I don't trust snopes anymore. THey are a couple with no expertise in anything. They only look up information on the web and while I used to do that for myself, I turned to snopes thinking they were some great expert. Now, I am back to looking for trusted articles. really difficult with the amount of conflicting stuff, but snopes is just one of the conflicters.
    I agree with you here. They didn't do their research on this. They have wrong info and like you said, all they do is look online for their research. How do they decide which information is correct and which isn't? It's invaluable.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Honestly idk why it says false at the top...But to back this up I work at a health food store and both the nutritionist there say that it is indeed poison.

It says it's false at the top for all the reasons they give at the bottom. "Nutritionst" does not necessarily = registered dietician or any other type of qualified medical professional.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I agree with you here. They didn't do their research on this. They have wrong info and like you said, all they do is look online for their research. How do they decide which information is correct and which isn't? It's invaluable.

These people do their research.

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/index.html
    "Foods high in good fats include vegetable oils (such as olive, canola, sunflower, soy, and corn), nuts, seeds, and fish. "

"In fact, canola oil is very low in saturated fat and has a very high proportion of monounsaturated fat, so it's a healthy and safe choice when it comes to oils"
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options

BULL CRAP! Try again... go back to the page on snopes and scroll down to see "sources". Do you see anything that refers to an internet link/site? No, they get their information from actual books and even reference the page numbers! Those links you see above there are for "additional information". Learn how to frickin read!
    You keep on believing what you want, it's a free country but shame on you for talking bad about people without getting your facts straight! I've been a member of snopes for years and the Mikkelsons are awesome people with a reputation that they worked hard to build and continue to work hard to uphold.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/what-should-you-eat/fats-and-cholesterol/index.html
    "Foods high in good fats include vegetable oils (such as olive, canola, sunflower, soy, and corn), nuts, seeds, and fish. "

"In fact, canola oil is very low in saturated fat and has a very high proportion of monounsaturated fat, so it's a healthy and safe choice when it comes to oils"
    Then your advocating that people shouldn't worry about the transfats in canola and soy vegetable oils found off the shelf. Also grouping fish and seeds with refined soy and other high n:6 poly oils in same category as it pertains to heart health is ridiculous....and irresponsible.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Without Canola oil, I have no tortillas.

Without tortillas, I am not happy.

I will continue to be happy, with tortillas and canola oil.

I think you would be just as happy if not more so with peanut oil. (I am a proffesional chef btw) It has many of the same smoke point and texture characteristics.

Peanut oil rocks! I also use extra virgin olive oil, if I use an oil at all. No one is saying we should be taking it intravenously... as with anything else in life, moderation, my young Padawans....
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Peanut oil is my second favorite oil, nothing tops good old extra virgin olive, though. I only use peanut oil for peanut butter or "wok-ing." Just pan fried some flounder in extra virgin olive oil, with my absolute favorite fish breading, good old Ritz cracker crumbs. A bit of salt, a squeeze of lemon, and perfect.

Canola oil isn't bad per se, there's just no need for it, other than it's cheap. Olive oil, peanut oil, butter, that's pretty much all you need.

Three cheers for peanut oil! :drinker:
  • rml_16
    Options
    Peanut oil is my second favorite oil, nothing tops good old extra virgin olive, though. I only use peanut oil for peanut butter or "wok-ing." Just pan fried some flounder in extra virgin olive oil, with my absolute favorite fish breading, good old Ritz cracker crumbs. A bit of salt, a squeeze of lemon, and perfect.

Canola oil isn't bad per se, there's just no need for it, other than it's cheap. Olive oil, peanut oil, butter, that's pretty much all you need.

Three cheers for peanut oil! :drinker:
    What if you're allergc to peanuts?
  • bcattoes
    Options

Then your advocating that people shouldn't worry about the transfats in canola and soy vegetable oils found off the shelf. Also grouping fish and seeds with refined soy and other high n:6 poly oils in same category as it pertains to heart health is ridiculous....and irresponsible.

I see. And what quailifications do you hold that trump the good folks at Harvard and the Mayo Clinic?

I mean, before I take the word of a poster on an internet site open to the www, I'd like to know what makes you think your opinion more valid that of people who actually perform and review scientific nutition research.