Adele.. fat?!

Options

Replies

• Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    You people all really need to think about why another person's status of fatness is such a big deal to you, enough of a big deal to make this thread last so long and go on for so many pages.

Because, mostly...we're bored...and even more importantly...we can.

On top of that...it's not your place to tell us what we need to think.

Feeling a little pressure?...I think so.

Sucks, doesn't it?

It's not your place to tell me my place.

Deal with it.

Not hard to do.
  • BeautifulKristen
    Options
    Wow this is still going on?? Gosh give her a break.. WHO CARES IF SHE IS FAT OR NOT!!

Man what if she got a hold of this site from a friend that showed her this and what if she is crying right now because of all these responses??

She has feelings to
  • LynC33
    LynC33 Posts: 196
    Options
    I am so tired of women throwing around terms like big boned and curvy to justify their own laziness. People aren't supposed to weigh this much. It doesn't matter what this whole big girls are beautiful campaign is telling you. If you are overweight you are doing something wrong. Thats why we are on this site; to correct the poor behavior and choices we have been making. Everyones goal should always be to be as healthy as their body will allow them. Some people may have larger frames but does this excuse the 20%+ bodyfat on them? NO it doesnt. Its not natural, its not beautiful, and its not ok to teach our children this.

I agree.Lets be real about this. Who are they trying to convince?? Besides, if women really thought big was beautiful they wouldnt be on this site trying to lose weight.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Can't believe it took me so long to log in and see this thread today! :). My 2c for those who care.

Is Adele overweight? YES
    Could this have adverse effects on her health and could she live a longer and healthier life by losing some weight? YES
    Has she made some significant progress in her weightloss in the last four years? YES

Now taking all of that into consideration, and remembering that we're on MFP, can we stop the judgements and admit that she could stand to lose some weight for HER OWN health... but more importantly, let's consider her a work in progress and acknowledge/celebrate the progress she has already made!

:flowerforyou:
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I am so tired of women throwing around terms like big boned and curvy to justify their own laziness. People aren't supposed to weigh this much. It doesn't matter what this whole big girls are beautiful campaign is telling you. If you are overweight you are doing something wrong. Thats why we are on this site; to correct the poor behavior and choices we have been making. Everyones goal should always be to be as healthy as their body will allow them. Some people may have larger frames but does this excuse the 20%+ bodyfat on them? NO it doesnt. Its not natural, its not beautiful, and its not ok to teach our children this.

This is exactly the kind of BS that makes me angry. Actually there is a body of evidence that shows a physically fit overweight person is at lower risk than an unfit person of normal weight. Fitness is an indicator of health, not weight. I am over 20% body-fat, I also work a full-time job, train about 12hrs a week and eat healthy foods. I have not, for the past 12 months or so, eaten at a calorie deficit, hence my being here to lose bodyfat. I am happy to admit that I am fat and I am happy to admit that I can lose weight if I eat a calorie deficit. However I am not lazy and I am not unhealthy.... the same goes for a great many people on this site.
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Can't believe it took me so long to log in and see this thread today! :). My 2c for those who care.

Is Adele overweight? YES
    Could this have adverse effects on her health and could she live a longer and healthier life by losing some weight? YES
    Has she made some significant progress in her weightloss in the last four years? YES

Now taking all of that into consideration, and remembering that we're on MFP, can we stop the judgements and admit that she could stand to lose some weight for HER OWN health... but more importantly, let's consider her a work in progress and acknowledge/celebrate the progress she has already made!

Well said man...I'm feeling slightly less than diplomatic this evening, and you did it better than I would have anyhow.
  • LynC33
    Options
    Wow this is still going on?? Gosh give her a break.. WHO CARES IF SHE IS FAT OR NOT!!

Man what if she got a hold of this site from a friend that showed her this and what if she is crying right now because of all these responses??

She has feelings to

Adele wouldnt care because she's laughing all the way to the bank. She can pay dieticians, nutritionists and personal cooks/trainers to keep her in shape. Why would she care what strangers think of her weight? I wouldnt care if some stranger called me fat, their opinion isnt important to me.
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options

Well said man...I'm feeling slightly less than diplomatic this evening, and you did it better than I would have anyhow.

Always got your back bro. Well 99% of the time :wink:
  • Megdmcda
    Megdmcda Posts: 273 Member
    Options

This is exactly the kind of BS that makes me angry. Actually there is a body of evidence that shows a physically fit overweight person is at lower risk than an unfit person of normal weight. Fitness is an indicator of health, not weight. I am over 20% body-fat, I also work a full-time job, train about 12hrs a week and eat healthy foods. I have not, for the past 12 months or so, eaten at a calorie deficit, hence my being here to lose bodyfat. I am happy to admit that I am fat and I am happy to admit that I can lose weight if I eat a calorie deficit. However I am not lazy and I am not unhealthy.... the same goes for a great many people on this site.
    exactly and another point......for a woman 20% is statistically considered unhealthy. they should be at 21%
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Always got your back bro. Well 99% of the time :wink:

Yep, cause you're allowed to be wrong 1% of the time =p.
  • NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options

Is Adele overweight? YES

Best response

• Starrynights1107
    Starrynights1107 Posts: 70 Member
    Options

Right. Tired of people acting as if folks that they think are unattractive bc they have excess body fat are automatically going to keel over and die soon. Just say you don't like fat people lol. It's fine.
  • Nataliaho
    Nataliaho Posts: 878 Member
    Options

Is Adele overweight? YES

So without any knowledge at all about her metabolic health, diet, physical fitness or genetics, you are both able to make this statement (in bold)? How pray-tell? I'd love to find out where you got your crystal ball.
  • FeatherBoBeather
    FeatherBoBeather Posts: 255 Member
    Options

While I agree wholeheartedly that being overweight is not something that should be taught as 'natural and beautiful' to children, there does need to be a line drawn at self acceptance and love for your body and mind at ANY weight. Regardless of being overweight, women should not have to feel completely worthless and ugly when they are heavyset. Do I agree that those (including myself) who are overweight should lose the weight and get fit- of course! But if you kill all reassurance that you're worth it and beautiful, what would be the point of even trying?
    Terms such as 'curvy' and 'big boned' soften the blow of the term 'FAT'. As such a publicly demeaning word, it's not like any women would ever feel good about themselves when they hear it. A positive attitude towards yourself and a sense of worth will always be motivation to be the best 'you'.

Do I feel great being overweight? No.
    Do I feel like I currently look the best I can? No.
    Do I still feel beautiful when I look in the mirror- you're damn right I do.
    And it only gives me more motivation to get to my healthiest weight and achieve better fitness goals.

If you remove a persons sense of worth you are removing any motivation they could ever have to be better and feel better.
    I say KUDOS to any campaign promoting self love and anti-discrimination.

Now on a side note- I hate Adele's morals.
    She's an idiot who promotes unhealthy eating and smoking world-wide.
    Disgusting.

/endrant
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options

exactly and another point......for a woman 20% is statistically considered unhealthy. they should be at 21%

actually it's anything over 25% is overweight, over 30% is obese i'm not sure where morbidly obese starts
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options

Who told you this rubbish? women should not be at 21%. Women can be healthy up to 12% bodyfat. 21% is just the highest that doctors and nutritionist have determind that a women can be and not dramatically increase health risk.
  • crisanderson27
    Options

Is Adele overweight? YES

So without any knowledge at all about her metabolic health, diet, physical fitness or genetics, you are both able to make this statement (in bold)? How pray-tell? I'd love to find out where you got your crystal ball.

Natalia hun, it says 'could this have adverse effects?'. Can you say it won't for sure? No. Can we say it will for sure? No. I know that's one of your pet peeves...but I wanted to show you a different point of view.

• NocturnalGirl
    NocturnalGirl Posts: 1,762
    Options

Is Adele overweight? YES

The key word here is 'could', not would.
  • LynC33
    Options

While I agree wholeheartedly that being overweight is not something that should be taught as 'natural and beautiful' to children, there does need to be a line drawn at self acceptance and love for your body and mind at ANY weight. Regardless of being overweight, women should not have to feel completely worthless and ugly when they are heavyset. Do I agree that those (including myself) who are overweight should lose the weight and get fit- of course! But if you kill all reassurance that you're worth it and beautiful, what would be the point of even trying?
    Terms such as 'curvy' and 'big boned' soften the blow of the term 'FAT'. As such a publicly demeaning word, it's not like any women would ever feel good about themselves when they hear it. A positive attitude towards yourself and a sense of worth will always be motivation to be the best 'you'.

And it only gives me more motivation to get to my healthiest weight and achieve better fitness goals.

If you remove a persons sense of worth you are removing any motivation they could ever have to be better and feel better.

Disgusting.

/endrant

Of course you would still feel beautiful, because you ARE anyway!! I'd feel beautiful if I had a face like yours, regardless if I were large or small.
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options

Disgusting.

/endrant

I see your point in this and i do agree that people need to be able to look forward to something to lose weight, but embracing this very P.C. world that we live in is not good for anyone. The kid on the playground used to be "fat" and you know what? no one wanted to be that kid. No one wanted to be that adult. While i agree there is a line that we need to draw where people should respect themselves it should never be drawn at a point where people think "you know what its fine to be this heavy." People need to know that nothing is ever good enough. You hit a weight goal, now build muscle. You built muscle now train dynamic sports you finish that now improve your stretching and lower your risk of injury. Build lung capacity, improve your blood sugar or VO2 max. We need to stop being so complacent.