ChaLeaners Go Heavy or Go Home!

Options

Replies

• purple120
    purple120 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Today I finished my 30 days on the Burn Circuit - although I think I will do another week of it. I have a 10 mile race coming up on the 22nd and I just don't want to move onto Push right before the run.

I'm not sure I'm all that thrilled with the results after the first 30 days but quite honesty my food hasn't been the greatest. I would argue that my biggest complaint is that I am noticing some bulking up in my triceps and upper back. I tend to be built that way anyway so it could be just the way things will be for me. I do like the definition I am getting in my quads. As a runner I tend to have strong hamstrings and skinny quads but I'm seeing a nice cut in the front of my legs now.

I'm right there with ya! I tend to bulk up more than the average person...nothing huge, but more than I would like. I'm in the Lean Circuit now and I have noticed that my arms look "big" to me when I'm not flexing, but once I flex I can see it's all muscle. My legs definitely have bulked up, but at least with those, I can see the "cut" so I know it's just good solid muscle!

I'm with you both, I think I look like a football player. Although, I've always been top heavy, and build muscle easily. My arms are pretty big for a girl, but they do have more muscle than fat. One of our friends asked my husband (not me, we women are so competitive) what I was doing because my arms were very strong. Way to bring me up when I was thinking maybe I dont like to lift weights. :wink:
  • hiddensecant
    hiddensecant Posts: 2,446 Member
    Options
    Burn Circuit 2 is done and I really love these! I'm considering a P90X/CE hybrid after this round :laugh:.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Lean 3 today, finished 4 wks of lean for life. :drinker: This program has delivered really good results for me. It is time to move on. I will be starting P90X on Sunday. :drinker:

ghanie, I know you did it. Did you follow the diet? Which program? Did you do P90X Classic? Purple, you did it as well, correct? I am excited but nervous at the same time. :noway:

Have a great day!! :flowerforyou:
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear I'm not alone - although I prefer to think that I'm built more like a broad shouldered swimmer than a football player:wink: Bring on the GunShow!:laugh:
  • fitzfour
    fitzfour Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Lean 3 today, finished 4 wks of lean for life. :drinker: This program has delivered really good results for me. It is time to move on. I will be starting P90X on Sunday. :drinker:

ghanie, I know you did it. Did you follow the diet? Which program? Did you do P90X Classic? Purple, you did it as well, correct? I am excited but nervous at the same time. :noway:

Have a great day!! :flowerforyou:

I'd be curious to hear from those that have done both CE and P90X, and which one you think delivered the best results? I'm finishing up the Lean Circuit with CE right now, and thinking I need a break from CE, but not sure if I should purchase P90X or if I should just work with the other DVD's I have. I just don't want to end up getting bored if P90X is similar (workout wise...I realize the trainer is different), but just longer.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options

I'd be curious to hear from those that have done both CE and P90X, and which one you think delivered the best results? I'm finishing up the Lean Circuit with CE right now, and thinking I need a break from CE, but not sure if I should purchase P90X or if I should just work with the other DVD's I have. I just don't want to end up getting bored if P90X is similar (workout wise...I realize the trainer is different), but just longer.

I've done both!! I love P90X for the upper body training and CE for the lower body. I think you could do a great hybrid with both sets of workouts! I also love Ab Ripper X from P90X... I still do that at least twice a week. Very effective 15 min ab workout!

P90X is totally different from CE. The weight training is different and you are also doing pullups along w/ lots of pushups.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Jess
  • fitzfour
    Options

I've done both!! I love P90X for the upper body training and CE for the lower body. I think you could do a great hybrid with both sets of workouts! I also love Ab Ripper X from P90X... I still do that at least twice a week. Very effective 15 min ab workout!

P90X is totally different from CE. The weight training is different and you are also doing pullups along w/ lots of pushups.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

Jess

Did you see better results with one or the other? I'm assuming probably with P90X, especially considering the workouts are longer. I've never seen a Tony Horton DVD, so I don't know what I think of him as a trainer. I like Chalene's motivational style, but I'm ready for a different trainer and some different styles of exercises. Would you say P90X has a lot of the same moves as CE, or are they entirely different?
  • purple120
    Options
    Fitz - P90X is very instense, and if you need a break from Calean you'll defintely need a break from P90X. There's some movements that I still cant do, like the pull up that uses a towel with one hand (forget what that one is called). To be honest I can't tell which one gives you more results because eventually in both programs you workout every muscle group. I do love P90X because you're working out one muscle at a time, this helps me concentrate more on the muscle being worked. I love Chalean because her programs are shorter. I enjoyed both programs the same, and I am doing a hybird P90X/Chalean/Turbo Jam/Running program after I finish Chalean. I'm very impressed with beachbody programs and would definitely recommend the ones that I've tried.(and I'm not a coach:laugh: ) If you can borrow one from someone try it out first see how you like it. Maybe after that you can purchase it. There's one thing that I just dont get is why arent there more men doing Chalean, besides the fact that they are all doing P90X.

Duffy - Good one, I'm using that one from now on, its a lot more me. :wink:

Alf - I did the P90X Classic. Your excitement is contagious, cant wait to do my hybird.

Tonight is burn intervals along with ab workout. Chalean's ab workout is so much easier than P90X, but when I built up to the 25 reps on 90X that was such a great feeling of accomplishment.

I hope everyone has a great workout.:flowerforyou:
  • hiddensecant
    Options

Yes, I followed the diet. I'm actually following the diet for P90X right now; it's kinda easier for me to keep track of calories and micronutrients than the meal options of CE.

I did doubles, though I recommend classic. I only did doubles because I wasn't working at the time and was really sedentary otherwise.

As for the workouts, they are completely different. CE has more synergy and likes to work out as many muscle groups at a time; she also encourages you to follow the group. P90X works out only a few muscle groups at a time and alternates through a series over the weeks and months; he also encourages you to go at your own pace and the people in it kinda try to out-do each other. So you have really different dynamics. And while I have fun with both, I can't stick with either year-round .. I'm kinda ADD when it comes to workout programs :laugh:.

And I plan to continue the 4-week breaks between the heavy strength training programs. It's kind of a reset time where I work out a little less and take it easy before the next round of torture. :heart:
  • fitzfour
    Options
    One more question for you Purple and Ghanie...what does a typical week look like with P90X? For example, with CE, I do M-W-F Circuit 1, 2 or 3, but the rest of the week I do my own cardio, not typically Chalean's Burn it Off or Burn Intervals. Does P90X work the same, where you could substitute in your own Cardio in place of let's say Plyo? I like to have the option to substitute if I want versus having to follow the program to a "T" to see the results.

Thanks ladies!
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    One more question for you Purple and Ghanie...what does a typical week look like with P90X? For example, with CE, I do M-W-F Circuit 1, 2 or 3, but the rest of the week I do my own cardio, not typically Chalean's Burn it Off or Burn Intervals. Does P90X work the same, where you could substitute in your own Cardio in place of let's say Plyo? I like to have the option to substitute if I want versus having to follow the program to a "T" to see the results.

Thanks ladies!

Here is the schedule:

Standard Week
    Chest and Back or Chest Shoulders Triceps (with Ab Ripper X)
    Plyometrics
    Shoulders and Arms or Back and Biceps (with Ab Ripper X)
    Yoga
    Legs and Back with Ab Ripper X
    Kenpo X
    Rest or X Stretch

Recovery Week
    Yoga X
    Core Synergistics
    Kenpo X
    X Stretch
    Core Synergistics
    Yoga X
    X Stretch

Well my first round I followed the program strait through except for the doubles portion. With doubles, it's the same workout (Cardio X) 3 or 4 times a week which got old fast. So I started to do Turbo Jam with it.

The next time I do it I'll be doing a lot of substitutions, though Plyo is one of the workouts I'd prefer to keep.
  • fitzfour
    Options
    Thanks Ghanie! This helps!
  • purple120
    Options

Thanks ladies!

I also did the P90X as the schedule suggested. My strength training days fell on M-W-F. Tuesday was Plyo, Thursday was yoga, Saturday was Kenpo. I would take Sunday as my rest day. In my opinion, the X Stretch is some of the same movements that are in the Yoga X. Cardio X has some of the same movements that are in Plyo. The next time I do P90X, I'll stick to the strength days, but if I feel like Plyo I'll do it, but if I'm not up to the pain I'll substitue turbo jam or a run. Not a big fan of yoga, so I'll substitute an extra calorie burn workout every now and then. I never tried doubles, really never had the energy or time.

I also get bored with the same workout (why is that) that is why I'm doing a hybird next. Keep posting to push yourself to commit at least for that day we'll try to keep you motivated.
  • purple120
    Options
    It's lean 3 for me today along with ab workout and maybe a run depending on how I feel.

It's Friday, I get to sleep in on Saturday!

• fitzfour
    Options
    Lean #3 done for the day long with a 20 minute run. Was going to do ab work, but they hurt too bad from doing Yoga last night. Wow..hope I don't have to do any hard laughing today!

Last week of Lean next week and then a break before I start P90X. Wish me luck!
  • purple120
    Options
    WOW, we fell back to the 3rd page :sad: It's lean 1 for me today, but I leave out-of-town for a few days. Still trying to figure out how I am going to do the workouts. Either buy a band and try to do the workouts at the hotel, just go to the gym at the hotel, or start the week again when I get back. I'll be back on Friday, so I can do lean 3 then. If this is my biggest problem, than life if good.

• jessmomof3
    Options
    WOW, we fell back to the 3rd page :sad: It's lean 1 for me today, but I leave out-of-town for a few days. Still trying to figure out how I am going to do the workouts. Either buy a band and try to do the workouts at the hotel, just go to the gym at the hotel, or start the week again when I get back. I'll be back on Friday, so I can do lean 3 then. If this is my biggest problem, than life if good.

I think you'll be fine to do the workouts w/ the band if you can. I travel w/ my BB resistance bands and they are great! I just gave my brother the black one (heaviest one) for his college apartment. :bigsmile:
  • jessmomof3
    Options
    I also did the P90X as the schedule suggested. My strength training days fell on M-W-F. Tuesday was Plyo, Thursday was yoga, Saturday was Kenpo. I would take Sunday as my rest day. In my opinion, the X Stretch is some of the same movements that are in the Yoga X. Cardio X has some of the same movements that are in Plyo. The next time I do P90X, I'll stick to the strength days, but if I feel like Plyo I'll do it, but if I'm not up to the pain I'll substitue turbo jam or a run. Not a big fan of yoga, so I'll substitute an extra calorie burn workout every now and then. I never tried doubles, really never had the energy or time.

I also get bored with the same workout (why is that) that is why I'm doing a hybird next. Keep posting to push yourself to commit at least for that day we'll try to keep you motivated.

I think the strength workouts are the most important for P90X. If you can do them M-W-F and then do your own cardio on the other days that is what I did. I would run on T-Th-S (long run on S) and more of an active rest on Sunday. (I usually at least walk, do a little biking, etc). Then I did Ab Ripper X at night on T-Th-S. I get bored too and love to mix things up. Muscle confusion!! :drinker:
  • hiddensecant
    Options
    Week 2 is starting with Burn 1. I think I'm taking tomorrow off though. Squeezing Plyometrics X into the CE routine might be a little too extreme right now :laugh:.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

Purple, are you coming to San Antonio?

Glad to hear everyone is doing fine. Shoulders/arms for me today of P90X, I am enjoying the program. I miss CX.

Take care, Annette:flowerforyou: