How often do you work out?

Options

Replies

• twinmom14ek
    twinmom14ek Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Wow, reading the other responses, I feel like a bit of a slacker, but I have a standing appointment for one hour, three days a week in a group fitness class. I can definitely relate to the feeling of not having time to work out (or not having time to do anything but work out), and it seems every time I get to that point, I end up burning out and throwing in the towel. However, I've been keeping the habit consistently for the past two months, and I've found these are some of the key aspects that have helped me sustain it:

1. My class is at 5:30 am. The alarm goes off at 5, which gives me about 15 minutes to gradually get my body moving and out the door. Although I am decidedly NOT a morning person, getting my workout out of the way first is critical. Too many things can come up over the course of the day to derail the best of intentions, and nothing can kill my motivation more completely than being stuck in a white noise-filled office building for 9+ hours a day.
    2. I carpool with a neighbor, so every morning I know she will be waiting for me. If she doesn't go on a given day (on vacation, traveling for work, etc.), and I miss class, the trainer will call me out. Find someone that's not afraid to bust you for skipping your workout.
    3. I started with a routine that fit reasonably in my schedule, and am gradually adding in other workouts as I progress. Stretch goals are great, but make sure they really are attainable. Would working out for two hours a day, six days a week help me lose weight more quickly? Probably, but I also like to have clean laundry, home-cooked meals, time with my husband, and a full night's sleep. Keeping balance is key to sustaining your routine.
    4. Find activities that you enjoy to supplement more traditional exercise routines. I play in a co-ed soccer league once a week and garden obsessively on the weekends. While I don't consider those true workouts, they keep me active while I do something that I truly enjoy.
  • LizHowerton
    LizHowerton Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I try to do everyday...but sometimes life gets in the way.

So I average 6 days a week. Usually mix it up in between 40 to 50 minutes of kickboxing, or circuit training. I add a good walk in a few times a week, weather permitting, or yard work.
  • BustyTransformer
    BustyTransformer Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I "TRY" to take at least one day off but I usually end up working a little something in. Working out is just part of my daily routine, like brushing my teeth.
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I exercise every day. M-W-F mornings I participate in a boxing class at 6:30am. T-Th I get up, walk the dog for 15 minutes or so, then either run, skip rope, or do calisthenics. Sat & Sun is a mixed bag. I almost always walk my dog for at least 20 minutes or so, sometimes I take another boxing or kickboxing class, sometimes I run, it just depends. The bottom line is I do something every day, even if its a little as 50 push ups, or a 10 minute walk.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    3x weight training sessions (~1hr)/week

That is all you need to get into great shape.
    ^^^^ This is what I do. Maybe about an hour and a half though, I do a quick run for a warm up and stretch too.
  • numindan
    numindan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    3 weight lifting sessions a week and I walk at least 5k a day a weekedays. On really good days (usually weekends) I'll walk up to 23k a day. Weekend averages are usually 10-12k though.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I run 3-4x per week, and do weights 3-4x per week.

I would say I workout about 6 days per week. I never spend long amounts of time exercising...I never workout for more than 45mins per day.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    5-6 days a week. Usually 6, just kinda depends on what I've got going on and if I feel like I need an extra rest day or not.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    3x weight training sessions (~1hr)/week

That is all you need to get into great shape.

Maybe that's all YOU need to get into great shape, but not all of us are so lucky. When I skip the cardio and only do weights a few times a week, I do not lose weight or inches and my fat goes nowhere. Not all bodies are the same.
  • Bakerchk
    Bakerchk Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Every day with rest days if my bodies hurting. I don't go all out everyday but I at least try to get cardio in every day.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    2-3 times per week for 75-90 minutes per session.

My work schedule is so erratic.. I do the best I can. :ohwell:
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    Weights four days/week and some form of cardio 6-7 days/week.
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options
    I'm gettin seriously frustrated with my lack of spare time due to exercise! I do not by any means want to stop working out....BUT I can't keep up my work-gym-dinnner-bed schedule! I need some life!! :drinker: So I'm curious- how often do you work out?

i walk 5 mornigns a week while son is in preschool, but can see how that would be a big challenge if i was working x
  • Amy_Lynn74
    Amy_Lynn74 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    1/2 hour 4 days a week, 1 hour the other 3 days but I don't use a gym I usually just walk or do a dvd at home.:flowerforyou:
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    6-7 days a week- I walk at least 30 minutes everyday at lunch sometimes 45min. An hour a day on weekends hiking through the nature trails.I do weights at night for at least 15 minutes. Baby steps!
  • milleric
    milleric Posts: 25
    Options
    I ride my bike 6-10 miles 4 times a week and then ill do a 16- (hopefully soon) 20+ mile ride once a week..

Ill lift with my bells 3-5 times a week and do sit ups and push ups nearly every day

Good thing about bike riding is I can just ride my bike to work and back and thats 6-8 miles and its only a 20 min ride, and when I go all out on the long rides its only and hour and 20 mins around so my workouts dont take too long (Also I just do push ups and sit ups whenever im not moving around at all)
  • Becky_Boop
    Becky_Boop Posts: 96
    Options
    Between 2 and 5 times per week. It purely depends on what I am doing and how much free time I have. Even if I cant fit in time at the gym I make sure I am walking for 30mins-1hour per day to try and get excersise feel like a natural part of the day rather than a commitment I resent.
  • Lula16
    Lula16 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I workout 5-6 times week.

Les mills PUMP 3X wk
    HIIT (outdoors or treadmill) 2-3X wk
    rest day is sunday

each workout consists of 30 mts.
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Everyday with rest days when I need them. I love it so I would much rather spend my time in the gym. :)

This. I get up at 4 am during the week and at 5 am on weekends to work out.
  • wells0707
    wells0707 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Normally 7 days a week, allthough Friday is only a 15-20 minute Hiit workout. Every once in a while I miss a day if I have conflicting plans, but I would much rather work out for an hour than watch tv.