NYC Large sugary drink ban proposed

Options

Replies

• KMSForLife
    KMSForLife Posts: 605
    Options
    I haven't read all the responses here but in my opinion -

If government wants to help people get healthy, then do something about the cost of healthy foods like fruits and vegetables. It has never made sense to me that I pay so much more for an unprocessed food - cut the cost of healthy foods!
  • liftingheavy
    liftingheavy Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'm completely for it, now when you go out the "small" is the old med, the "med" is the old large etc...there is NO need to drink a 64oz soda at the movies and it cost's $5.50 in ny/nj.....its redic. No one usually understands how many caloires are actually in that stuff. It's about half your day's worth. It's about time the government steps in with this stuff. If they made better quality food cheaper and shopped pumping the chicken with hormones so the meat is bigger than we'd all be better off

yes because the nanny/police state knows better than individuals making informed choices.

yes obviously it does. Europe and china doesn't offer these rediculous sized meals, that way the people of that area do no crave it or feel the need to want more. Us as american's are more or less retarded. We think that because we pay $5 for a soda it better be a 5 gallon jug of it. Now if we didn't have the advantage to purchase the item we would no longer want it. It's because we have no one regulating the size of our meals. People 20 yrs ago we're fat because the size of stuff when you went out was different. Also, they weren't pumping our food full of hormones. Now girls are having their periods as early as 8yrs old because of the hormones in milk, how is this ok? Would you like to see a 4th grader with bigger boobs than a 30 yr old? No I think not. Which in turn is causing them to become sexual at a younger age because of "urges" and being that now both parents are working, because most can't afford not to, than they act on these urges. ALSO it is easier now to just stop by mcdonalds and grab dinner instead of sitting home making it and in some states it's even cheaper. Like in NY/NJ it would be cheaper for me to go out and buy fast food instead of going grocery shopping. Juster remember everyone has opinions and if you didn't like mine then you coulda kept on moving along.

I just do not understand how people cannot see all of this right in front of them. Young, young girls in a size 9 shoe and regular, not training bras.

The lack of vision of people these days is amazing. Everything is about me, today, now, and shaddup about it next they're going to take my guns or tell me how many kids to have. Yowza.
  • liftingheavy
    Options
    image-6.jpg

kbaec9.jpg

america_this_is_why_its_fat-480x412.jpg

6tlis3.jpg

Would ROTFL, but it's soooo not funny!
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    image-6.jpg

kbaec9.jpg

6tlis3.jpg

ya missed the edit

ITS THE BIG SUGARY DRINKS BAN EM ALL AND BURN THAT EVIL ROCK N ROLL MUSIC. Its for the kids of course. :flowerforyou:
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Government needs to stop interfering with natural selection IMO. We do too much to try to preserve the quality of life for people who nature would have given the ax to long ago and we're all the worse for it today.

Anyone who's old enough to be able to read will know not to eat the packets that come with electronics. They know it's not chiclets/candy. Letting the ones who are too stupid to be able to apply common sense to these situations die before they can breed is nature's way and the government needs to quit getting in the way of that. This is the same concept. Pretty sure every obese person out there knows the nachos, burritos, pasta, fast food, fried chicken, and endless supplies of candy aren't exactly nutritious. It's up to them to do something about it. Not Big Brother.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. Kinda - it's a step in the right direction but it's a drop in the ocean.

They need to also ban the constant bombardment of ads on tv and billboards advertising junk food. You just can't get away.

I agree 100%!!! Companies need to stop being allowed to advertise to kids so much. Has anybody watched Nickelodeon lately??!! McDonald's advertises almost every other commercial. Kids know what buttons to push to drive mom & dad nuts so they give in. Sure mom & dad have a responsibility to monitor what their children eat, but every parent has their breaking point of the tantrums and whining and crying and bugging.

My kids watch cartoons and thus are exposed to all the advertisements as well. I could care less how much they whine and cry and bug me to buy McDonald's food...(or anything else that is advertised on tv). You know why? Because they are NOT getting it unless I say so. My kids don't whine, cry and bug me because if they know if they did, I wouldn't take them. And I'd probably pull the plug on the tv too.

And I do take my kids to McD's on occasion.

Parenting requires a backbone.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Most States do not. Have a look at HBOs recent 'weight of the nation' doc for more info

http://theweightofthenation.hbo.com/

But I guess that you would support such a move, which, as I was trying to point out, is an example of government intervention in 'private' health matters.

Really? I saw a list on the PBS website and the majority of states did. The list was outdated but I can't imagine all of the states have changed their policy.

Your link was just to the main Weight of the Nation page. No information about PE classes immediately obvious to me.

And yeah, I do think there should be mandatory PE classes in public school. You know why? Because it's public school. Taxpayers are paying for it so if there is a vote to add mandatory PE then I have no issue with it.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyyouth/shpps/2006/factsheets/pdf/FS_PhysicalEducation_SHPPS2006.pdf

This shows that the majority of schools have a mandatory PE program. That's from your HBO website

That document is about the schools themselves requiring PE, rather than the government.

Anyway, as I was saying, my point is that in countries where governments take public health seriously and promote healthy living, people are... healthier! It isn't a question of society vs the government. It's OUR government, and it can and should play a role in tackling the obesity crisis. Whatever the US is doing at the moment, it clearly aint working, and I don't believe that's because US citizens are less responsible or lazier or greedier than people in other countries. Its because they are living in a toxic food environment.

What? The state government is the thing making these schools have a PE program. Just because it isn't the federal government doesn't mean it's not some form of government.

I think you're a bit confused. I live in the UK, and though there are considerably less obese people (from what I've seen) the trend is the same as everywhere else - wealthier people are thinner, and poor people are fatter. The thin people aren't thin because the government told them to be, they're thin because they can afford frequent grocery trips and healthy food and have the time and money to go to the gym every day. The poor people are fatter because they can only afford to grocery shop once a month and therefor need to buy long-life food that is worse for them. They also work longer hours so they do not have time for exercise or the money for the gym. I'm sure most of the less fortunate people would like to be healthier, but it simply isn't in their budget. The government telling them how bad the food is that they're eating won't change their financial situation. The government telling them that they should exercise won't change that they don't have time to exercise.

If the government wants to do something, they could stop subsidizing the corn/sugar/etc industry. By doing that they are driving down costs for the manufacturer and making unhealthy food cheaper.

FAIL! This is inaccurate. My family of 6 (me, husband and 4 kids) rely on one income. My school-teacher husbands income. We are considered above poverty level, and lower-middle class is stretching it. We eat fruit and veggies at every meal. We don't have gym memberships. It is more expensive for our family to eat at McDonald's than it is to sit down and have a healthy meal with all the macros. Seriously. My husband tallies it up, and it averages between $10-$12 dollars a meal. A sit-down restaurant for our family is never less than $40. You just have to know how to shop. My kids are incredibly healthy and not even overweight. The truth is, to actually eat healthy involves meal-planning, turning on your oven and actually taking time to cook and prepare. It's far easier to load up the car and go to Burger King.

If most families operated like yours there would not be 35% obesity in this country. Sadly, that is not the case which makes this an anecdotal example. A family of 6 can eat off of the dollar menu at most fast food for 18 dollars, and not have to prepare a thing at home. When both parents work that is apparently an attractive option.

My point being that for a little work, smart shopping and meal planning, a family of 6 can eat very healthy for LESS than it would cost to eat at McDonalds.

I never mentioned McDonalds. I mentioned bulk buying processed foods at the grocery store. Think a case of poptarts from Sam's, not McDonalds.

What I said is a real thing. Just because your family can do it doesn't mean others can. I highly doubt a single mother working full time would have much time to plan out her meals, shop for the food a few times a week and then prepare the food after her shift.

I should mention that my husband does all the meal planning, grocery shopping and cooking. He makes time, by choice.
  • liftingheavy
    Options
    image-6.jpg

kbaec9.jpg

6tlis3.jpg

ya missed the edit

ITS THE BIG SUGARY DRINKS BAN EM ALL AND BURN THAT EVIL ROCK N ROLL MUSIC. Its for the kids of course. :flowerforyou:

I saw the edit, but the pictures still said a lot.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. Kinda - it's a step in the right direction but it's a drop in the ocean.

They need to also ban the constant bombardment of ads on tv and billboards advertising junk food. You just can't get away.

I agree 100%!!! Companies need to stop being allowed to advertise to kids so much. Has anybody watched Nickelodeon lately??!! McDonald's advertises almost every other commercial. Kids know what buttons to push to drive mom & dad nuts so they give in. Sure mom & dad have a responsibility to monitor what their children eat, but every parent has their breaking point of the tantrums and whining and crying and bugging.

My kids watch cartoons and thus are exposed to all the advertisements as well. I could care less how much they whine and cry and bug me to buy McDonald's food...(or anything else that is advertised on tv). You know why? Because they are NOT getting it unless I say so. My kids don't whine, cry and bug me because if they know if they did, I wouldn't take them. And I'd probably pull the plug on the tv too.

And I do take my kids to McD's on occasion.

Parenting requires a backbone.

Gj and what a lady, good for you mom!! :wink: :drinker:
  • TheDudette
    TheDudette Posts: 174
    Options
    I know it makes me super unpopular, but I'm for it. I was for the banning of trans fats, I was for the taxing of sugary drinks, and I'm for this. I don't think the ban is to change adult outlooks, I think it's in hopes that it will give children a better grasp on portion control while they are young and susceptible. I wish I got a better grasp on it as a child. I drink smaller sizes now that I'm trying to get healthy, but it took me a while to get past not having such huge portions. Furthermore, anything that helps fight obesity helps fight the rising costs of healthcare. So bring it on.
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    Options
    The government has NO RIGHT to dictate what we eat and drink! We should make the decisions ourselves.

What's next? Are you willing to give up your rights? Cuz I know I'm not...I think it's time to move to a different country or take this one back!
    :noway: :angry: :explode:
  • mfp_junkie
    mfp_junkie Posts: 359
    Options
    Personal responsibility extends to food choices. If you truly want to effect change, tax the living daylights out of pop servings larger than 16oz. Slap a 25 cent an ounce tax on it. That should solve the problem. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay $11 for a 56oz pop.
  • liftingheavy
    Options
    The government has NO RIGHT to dictate what we eat and drink! We should make the decisions ourselves.

What's next? Are you willing to give up your rights? Cuz I know I'm not...I think it's time to move to a different country or take this one back!
    :noway: :angry: :explode:

Take the country back from who? This is a huge reaction to the state of New York banning oversized soft drinks. Do you live in New York? Lots of states ban lots of things - I'm not going to leave the country because of it. There is a ban on carrying concealed weapons here. Works for me.
  • liftingheavy
    Options
    Personal responsibility extends to food choices. If you truly want to effect change, tax the living daylights out of pop servings larger than 16oz. Slap a 25 cent an ounce tax on it. That should solve the problem. Nobody in their right mind is going to pay $11 for a 56oz pop.

I'm okay with this too.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options

Pictures where simply representing that people do not exercise and over eat unhealthy foods. Hence the mcdonalds pic and the people using machines instead of legs to walk and exercise. :wink: Point being I do not thing banning large drinks containing sugar is going to do much but just take away another freedom we have.

If the govenment wants to fight obesity it must educate people on obesity. They should have nutrition classes manditory in school and bring back physical education.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Wow. Some of you don't really see what's going on in the bigger picture. This is not about government control, it is about Corporate ownership of America. Please educate yourself on these kinds of issue. Why does a corporation have the right to do what ever it wants and make what ever it wants while it pours billions of dollars into advertising and marketing to brainwash people into thinking their product rocks. Meanwhile, they use substandard and inferior ingredients, and only sell it in 20oz cans. Are they giving us a choice to buy smaller, to have better ingrdients that don't harm us long-term, in price and competition?

This is a big picture issue and I wish more local governments would take up the charge against the Corporations. Sending a signal saying, we are not going to allow what you are doing, is also freedom. That's how America came into existance. Don't forget how we got here.
  • liftingheavy
    Options
    Government needs to stop interfering with natural selection IMO. We do too much to try to preserve the quality of life for people who nature would have given the ax to long ago and we're all the worse for it today.

Anyone who's old enough to be able to read will know not to eat the packets that come with electronics. They know it's not chiclets/candy. Letting the ones who are too stupid to be able to apply common sense to these situations die before they can breed is nature's way and the government needs to quit getting in the way of that. This is the same concept. Pretty sure every obese person out there knows the nachos, burritos, pasta, fast food, fried chicken, and endless supplies of candy aren't exactly nutritious. It's up to them to do something about it. Not Big Brother.

So are corporations that push this stuff simply helping us along with the "natural selection" process? This is a whole nother topic, I tell ya. Interesting take though.
  • Shock_Wave
    Options
    Wow. Some of you don't really see what's going on in the bigger picture. This is not about government control, it is about Corporate ownership of America. Please educate yourself on these kinds of issue. Why does a corporation have the right to do what ever it wants and make what ever it wants while it pours billions of dollars into advertising and marketing to brainwash people into thinking their product rocks. Meanwhile, they use substandard and inferior ingredients, and only sell it in 20oz cans. Are they giving us a choice to buy smaller, to have better ingrdients that don't harm us long-term, in price and competition?

This is a big picture issue and I wish more local governments would take up the charge against the Corporations. Sending a signal saying, we are not going to allow what you are doing, is also freedom. That's how America came into existance. Don't forget how we got here.

"while it pours billions of dollars into advertising and marketing"

This help our crappy economy genius. Imagine them leaving and spending that money in another country... ohhh more jobs lost here in usa. Also just because I see advertising doesnt mean I am going to go out and buy it. Example smoking posters are in stores but you dont see me going out and smoking. I see alcohol Vodka commercials but dont got and buy Vodka.. really??

Again If the govenment wants to fight obesity it must educate people on obesity. They should have nutrition classes manditory in school and bring back physical education not ban large sugary drinks lol

JUST MY OPINION>
  • liftingheavy
    Options

Pictures where simply representing that people do not exercise and over eat unhealthy foods. Hence the mcdonalds pic and the people using machines instead of legs to walk and exercise. :wink: Point being I do not thing banning large drinks containing sugar is going to do much but just take away another freedom we have.

If the govenment wants to fight obesity it must educate people on obesity. They should have nutrition classes manditory in school and bring back physical education.

Anytime nutrition education is proposed, the antis come out saying they want to teach it themselves, keep it out of the schools and reduce their taxes. Same with physical education in schools, sexual education, etc.

When the first lady planted a vegetable garden she became a punchline. I agree with education. Unfortunately, it's not happening. Utopia is what it is. I am only talking about the reality of rising obesity in this country at this point.
  • liftingheavy
    Options

They WOULDN"T spend billions on advertising junk in other countries because those people and governments would run them out on a rail.

"while it pours billions of dollars into advertising and marketing"

This help our crappy economy genius. Imagine them leaving and spending that money in another country... ohhh more jobs lost here in usa. Also just because I see advertising doesnt mean I am going to go out and buy it. Example smoking posters are in stores but you dont see me going out and smoking. I see alcohol Vodka commercials but dont got and buy Vodka.. really??

Again If the govenment wants to fight obesity it must educate people on obesity. They should have nutrition classes manditory in school and bring back physical education not ban large sugary drinks lol

JUST MY OPINION>