Do you peek at grocery carts to see what other people buy?

Options

Replies

• emnk5308
    emnk5308 Posts: 736
    Options

Makes me never wanna leave my cart alone! O.O
  • 1Kristine1
    1Kristine1 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I am soo judgemental about it too. I don't mean to be, it just happens.
    I like to think my family eats well, when I go shopping with my mom I try to encourage more produce and less cookies etc.
    But the occassional bag of chips still gets thrown in, so I guess I shouldn't be so judgy.
    But when I go to walmart and there is a mom shopping with two very overweight young children and in the cart I see two flats of full sugar soda and 4L of chocolate milk and other so not great items. I think to myself, what on earth is she thinking? I get it, she could be a single mom. But for the price of the pop, you could probably get a fair amount of produce.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I do it.. O.o I see a lot of people with like 4-5 cases of soda and they shouldn't be drinking soda at all.. and I wonder if they know how bad it is for them.. and I wonder how can they afford all of that soda!! O.O It bugs me seeing families with over weight kids putting junk in their carts =( Like candy and snack cakes and sodas..

Hey maybe the Soda is on WICKED SALE and they are choosing to stock up. My local Shaws has 12 packs of coke products on sale 5 for 10 dollars. I now have enough Diet Coke, Fresca, Diet Dr. Pepper, and Sprite Zero to get though the summer. Of course I don't normally shop at shaws (they are overpriced if something isn't on sale) so I'm just going through the line with only soda.

They say only 5 per day per person, but I'm taking person as "cashier" and nobody mentioned my coming in and out of the store a bunch of times just to buy diet coke.
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Never thought to even care on any level other than to check how much stuff is in their basket or cart to let them ahead of me if I have full shopping cart.

Funny thing is I have done that on countless times, I have yet to have someone offer to let me go ahead when I have one or two things.

Isn't that annoying? I let people go in front of me all the time, even if I don't have a full cart (but I'm using coupons), but I swear I hardly ever get waved ahead when I just have a couple things. How many times have I been behind somebody and their cart is OVERFLOWING and I'm standing there with a loaf of bread, and they look right at you and then start putting things on the belt. Or even sometimes when we approach the checkout at the same time and they run up to get in before me? There's no courtesy in this country anymore. It's sad, really.
    Hey maybe the Soda is on WICKED SALE and they are choosing to stock up. My local Shaws has 12 packs of coke products on sale 5 for 10 dollars. I now have enough Diet Coke, Fresca, Diet Dr. Pepper, and Sprite Zero to get though the summer. Of course I don't normally shop at shaws (they are overpriced if something isn't on sale) so I'm just going through the line with only soda.

They say only 5 per day per person, but I'm taking person as "cashier" and nobody mentioned my coming in and out of the store a bunch of times just to buy diet coke.

Hahaha! I'm a sale shopper as well. I LMAO on that one! Love it! :laugh:
  • Devolucien
    Devolucien Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I love how everyone responding to my post is still missing my point on not judging others...

Also to the person who said that you can choose- you can't choose mental disorders... do you think people that are schizophrenic chose to be schizophrenic...?

My point is still: stop judging other people based on stereotypes....
  • lynnetted43
    lynnetted43 Posts: 252
    Options
    i dont peek into any one elses carts but they always peek into mine!! i eat very healthy and when im shopping, im always smelling fruits and inspecting them. they probably think im nuts !!:laugh: especially when im getting eggs. i buy 8 dozen a week, and i get the comment, why dont you just raise chickens. HAHA !! that gets old quick!!
  • emnk5308
    Options
    Why funny you should ask ....................... my wife and I both do. Being military we shop at the Commissary, the equivalent of a grocery store. To see what other people have in their carts is not for dinner ideas but, to see why we make and eat from a healthy menu and plan our grocery shopping. It seems that processed foods are a staple for a large percentage of Military families. My wife uses many fresh ingredients such as vegetables and fruits in her dishes. There are many overweight spouses and children amongst Military families .................... maybe more of the spouses should check this site out.

I lived in Fayetteville, NC for about 7ish years.. I know O.O Most of the families in my neighborhood were in the Army.. not all of the wives took very good care of themselves..
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    i dont peek into any one elses carts but they always peek into mine!! i eat very healthy and when im shopping, im always smelling fruits and inspecting them. they probably think im nuts !!:laugh:

Yeah, heaven forfend you QA your own food before purchasing it.
  • bunnyfufu2012
    Options
    Yeah I always do and see certain sterotypes played out over and over.

You almost always have those that look less well off with their carts full of junk food, those on food stamps here in America almost never have any real food at all, and they and their children tend to be overweight.

You have those that are obviously fitness nuts with their high protein shake mixes and generally healthy assortment of meats and veggies.

You have the vegan/vegetarians, most of which sadly don't have that much produce, but rather items that are processed and packaged that are obviously vegetarian in nature. Most of the times in my experience these people look tired, run down and sickly. If they have children the kids generally look gaunt.

You have the produce heavy veggies, who look healthier than their processed foods counterparts above, but still look a bit frail.

You then have the meat eaters, like me, who get all the jugemental stares, head shaking etc when you roll up to the check out line with 20+ lbs of meat, cheeses, cream, and loads of vegtables...somehow this is less acceptable to your average joe shopper than any of the above :laugh:

I'm the vegetarian that tends to eat mostly carbs frozen vegetables hardly any fruit unless its bananas. I live on pbj and cereal. Mostly because fruit doesn't stay fresh long and I can only shop twice a month.
  • peasantgirly
    peasantgirly Posts: 173 Member
    Options

I lived in Fayetteville, NC for about 7ish years.. I know O.O Most of the families in my neighborhood were in the Army.. not all of the wives took very good care of themselves..

And how did you like Fayettenam? :tongue:
  • emnk5308
    Options
    This is someone with an eating disorder's worst nightmare. The people on this post that are making judgemental comments about what are in other people's carts, are what cause a lot of ED patients to have panic attacks....

This makes me sick... seriously.

No one has to click this link. =/ People with eating disorders are the minority.. can't make us all change our habits to make their lives easier. They have to work through it on their own or with help from family and stuff.. This is the world they live in, we aren't living in theirs.
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I hate standing in line but checking out what other people have in the their carts makes the time go faster. And I'll admit it, I'm totally fascinated by what I see other people purchasing. I sometimes look at the odd collection of things in my basket and wonder what it tells about me and my family. :laugh:
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I love how everyone responding to my post is still missing my point on not judging others...

Also to the person who said that you can choose- you can't choose mental disorders... do you think people that are schizophrenic chose to be schizophrenic...?

I love how you are still missing every point that isnt directly talking about you.
    I love how you are still sitting here judging everyone else and calling us awful and selfish and immature.
    I love how you are still insisting that your issues are our issues.
    I love how you think that you DONT judge people.

...especially when you are trying soooooooooo hard to make all all behave as though we are burdened by YOUR issues.

We aren't.

We don't.

You keep screaming that we have no idea what its like... thats because we dont. And you have GOT to stop judging healthy people for not having an ED.

If its not your fault that you have one, then its not our fault that we dont.

But you cannot tell humans to stop judging, then get mad when they dont and scream that they are missing the point - because you are not the authority and telling us, in a tone which implies we are obligated to obey you, that glancing in someone's cart makes us awful people is so full of hypocrisy and someday you may realise this.

Please, stop. If something triggers you, then you know, since you do deal with an ED, that you have to walk away. Staying here is feeding it. Staying here is hugging and stroking and loving the problem instead of walking away and taking care of yourself.

Discussions on the internet are not made up of food, its just people sharing experiences and not everyone is like you. I hope you understand this someday. That we are not all like you and dont have to cater to you. And humans, by nature, compare.

And staying here- dragging this on about your special situation, IS A CHOICE.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options

And you're missing my point ... it is unreasonable to expect everyone else to change for you. You can control where you go and what you do and what threads you click on. Can you stop having an ED? No, obviously not -- but it's up to you to decide how you live with it.

Patients with schizophrenia have to learn to live in our world and manage their symptoms. I'm not going to stop wearing white because if someone with schizophrenia sees me, they might freak out and think I'm from the CDC and going to inject them with disease (an actual student I worked with). That's not something that I need to anticipate and change...they (and their family and friends and therapy team) need to be ready for that and HAVE A PLAN. Bottom line: You have a mental disorder, but that doesn't mean that I can't look in your cart at the grocery store. It doesn't mean I'm judging, but if you think it does, that's (again) a you issue.

If nobody ever judged anyone ever, you think life would be better --- but that's not going to happen. Make a choice about how YOU deal with it instead and work on what you can control.
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options

I love how you are still missing every point that isnt directly talking about you.
    I love how you are still sitting here judging everyone else and calling us awful and selfish and immature.
    I love how you are still insisting that your issues are our issues.
    I love how you think that you DONT judge people.

...especially when you are trying soooooooooo hard to make all all behave as though we are burdened by YOUR issues.

We aren't.

We don't.

You keep screaming that we have no idea what its like... thats because we dont. And you have GOT to stop judging healthy people for not having an ED.

If its not your fault that you have one, then its not our fault that we dont.

But you cannot tell humans to stop judging, then get mad when they dont and scream that they are missing the point - because you are not the authority and telling us, in a tone which implies we are obligated to obey you, that glancing in someone's cart makes us awful people is so full of hypocrisy and someday you may realise this.

Please, stop. If something triggers you, then you know, since you do deal with an ED, that you have to walk away. Staying here is feeding it. Staying here is hugging and stroking and loving the problem instead of walking away and taking care of yourself.

Discussions on the internet are not made up of food, its just people sharing experiences and not everyone is like you. I hope you understand this someday. That we are not all like you and dont have to cater to you. And humans, by nature, compare.

And staying here- dragging this on about your special situation, IS A CHOICE.

:heart:
  • melhmltn2
    melhmltn2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have started doing this. I want to Compare how my food measures up, as well as be grateful it's not me anymore. I do buy a few unhealthy choices, but quick lunches/dinners for babysitters or if I have a migraine (quick and easy to fix), however, most of my cart is loaded with lean meats, fresh and fozen fruits/vegetables and a few whole grains.

As for the kids, I've created a challenge for my boys. I made a huge rainbow and pasted a color of a fruit or vegatable all around the rainbow. I mounted a favorite character (currently angry birds) on blue and green card stock (favorite colors) and a rainbow column for each boy. As they eat a fruit or vegatable they move their blue/green angry bird to their column. If they eat all 7 colors in a day I will buy them a sweet treat of their choice. I used to keep ding dongs or twinkles in the house, but had to throw them out because they expired! Now, it has been 5 months, they seldom ask for anything sweet and want yogurt, cheese, or fruit/vegetables for meals and snacks. TJ wanted a treat yesterday at the store when I asked what he said bananas. Lovin it!
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Nope. I never knew other people did it, either.

Same here!!
  • jaxandmaksmom
    jaxandmaksmom Posts: 262 Member
    Options

hun welcome to the real world... everyone judges everyone else it is human nature.

when you see a thin well maintain women.. you think wow she must work out.. judgement\

you see an attractive well built guy you think he is fit... judgement

you see a unplesant looking person you think ekkk ... judgement

everyone in the world has a preception of the "look" a person is putting out there.... to say you dont is full of bull poop..

facts are facts people judge.. the only thing you have control over is how you react to it.. if you live by what others might think about you.. .then you are going to live a long sad unhappy life..

if you say f*(& them and live your life the way you will be happiest then you are golden... and you know what.. when you do you will put out the precption of being a happy and healthy person... and that is how people will judge you just a thought...
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    You say that you so badly want to be an inspiration to others. Well inspiring people to change is one thing, and berating them publicly because they arent part of your world is something.... else.
  • newking
    newking Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    So many replies are basically this -

"only if I see overweight/obese people and their cart is full of crap"

What about all the smaller people with carts full of crap? Why do they get a free pass???
This discussion has been closed.