Do you peek at grocery carts to see what other people buy?

Options

Replies

• CharleneExtreme
    Options
    But now I try to remind myself that I don't know their story and I try not to judge.

Exactly, they could be on a diet that these things fit into - it may be working for them, it coould be for someone else and they could have recovered from an eating disorder. And this has been said before (and i know im gonna be *****ed at) but people being judgemental *kitten* can be a trigger for recovered ED sufferers!

So can going to the grocery store. Or reading threads about food. Or being on a weightloss site....there are lots of triggers.

It's not the job of everyone else to change for someone recovering from an ED...it's the job of the person recovering from the ED to change. That's the point of recovery.

Now go ahead and swear at me and call me names, but it's the truth.
    I swear when i'm angry but calling anyone names would be hypocritical since the reason I'm typing this is due to my anger at people who judge others by their weight and eating habits...
    Well people negatively judging someones eating habits is pretty high risk if you ask me. But its just downright *****y to judge people on what they buy. To be honest, i've begun shopping online to avoid this kind of crap. No i don't have an ED but i'm "a fat slob who eats too much - and what i shouldn't be eating that", according to people who judge us on what we buy. This enrages me. People need to cop on and concentrate on their own lives instead of judging what others are buying.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    So many replies are basically this -

"only if I see overweight/obese people and their cart is full of crap"

What about all the smaller people with carts full of crap? Why do they get a free pass???

not everyone even mentioned the size of the person's cart they were looking in. I know I didnt.

most of us are simply noting our own personal evolution and how we notice it when our cart is next to someone who has a cart like we used to have.

I dont like when people say, pick on the smaller people more!

We're judging (and by judging i mean the least invested judgment we will ever make, im talking- unless it was something crazy- a judgement we dont even store in our memory) grocery cart contents.
  • BigRich822
    BigRich822 Posts: 681
    Options
    I always look beacuse no offense to overweight people, but when your at the grocery store and they have a couple cases of pop and 10 bags of potato chips and dip. I mean seriously come on.
  • Molly182
    Molly182 Posts: 406
    Options
    i absolutely do lol. I work at the pharmacy inside of a grocery store though, so when people bring up their carts it's difficult not to take a peak
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I love peeking in other peeps carts - I look for interesting things I haven't tried, and wonder what they are making with their ingredients! It definitely passes time in the check out line :)

And you have to wonder what people think of what's in your cart. Total hunk was checking out my buys this morning ... heaps of fresh veggies & fruit, 8 bags of frozen veggies, cheeses, some spices, Fish Oil .... and a large stack of Lunchables and Kid Cuisine boxes ...
  • kaetmarie
    kaetmarie Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    But now I try to remind myself that I don't know their story and I try not to judge.

Exactly, they could be on a diet that these things fit into - it may be working for them, it coould be for someone else and they could have recovered from an eating disorder. And this has been said before (and i know im gonna be *****ed at) but people being judgemental *kitten* can be a trigger for recovered ED sufferers!

So can going to the grocery store. Or reading threads about food. Or being on a weightloss site....there are lots of triggers.

It's not the job of everyone else to change for someone recovering from an ED...it's the job of the person recovering from the ED to change. That's the point of recovery.

I swear when i'm angry but calling anyone names would be hypocritical since the reason I'm typing this is due to my anger at people who judge others by their weight and eating habits...
    Well people negatively judging someones eating habits is pretty high risk if you ask me. But its just downright *****y to judge people on what they buy. To be honest, i've begun shopping online to avoid this kind of crap. No i don't have an ED but i'm "a fat slob who eats too much - and what i shouldn't be eating that", according to people who judge us on what we buy. This enrages me. People need to cop on and concentrate on their own lives instead of judging what others are buying.

I think judgmental *kitten* comes dangerously close to name calling...
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I tend to look more when other people comment about the amount I buy. I only shop for me, but everything is fresh and so I have HUGE amounts of produce. I don't judge (I never can tell who's buying what for whom and for how many), but I don't take snide comments well when that person only has premade/processed food in his or her cart. Obviously we lead different lives, so just say nothing if you can't say something nice!

On a daily shop, though, I'm usually in too much of a rush to stop to peek at others' carts in the grocery store! I confess that I do it more in a place like Target or Marks and Spencers or Ikea... I vicariously spend money on clothes and home goods, and "tend to my own knitting" (as my mother would say) when I'm food shopping. However, after reading through this thread I may change that and sneak a few peeks at my next food shop!
  • yoovie
    Options
    I judge myself harder than anyone else on the planet. I judge myself and keep myself accountable and I even take pictures of what I buy - to prove to myself that i stay balanced and im not too far in either direction.

see

l152573611.jpg
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    nope, it's none of my damned business.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,648 Member
    Options
    I was waiting for another thread like this. I have seen others asking if a person judges what's in the other person's cart, etc. I had something happen at the grocery store, just a few days ago, that fits into this category.

I have been taking care of my ex husband. He is in the final stages of cancer and it's pretty much all through his body. He is beyond any treatment and he can no longer force himself to eat "normal" foods. About all he can stomach right now is sweet stuff. So, I am going through the self-check line and in the station behind me is a husband and wife team. He elbows her and says "Can you believe what she is buying? Like, she really needs that crap." My cart was full of frozen cream pies, Marie Callender's fruit pot pies, brownies, ice cream, etc. All of it was for my ex husband except for a pint of Hagen Dazs Coffee flavored frozen yogurt (yum). I could feel my face turning red, but I didn't say anything. I thought the guy was really rude to say anything about what I had in my cart, much less be judgmental about something where he was totally off base. If a person HAS to snoop into another person's cart, best keep your opinions to yourself... and what does it matter why, or what, another person is purchasing?

I'm really sorry about your husband but this just validates why it pissed me off the last time this subject came along and why it pisses me off now. The people looking in other people's carts and judging have no idea what's going on in the person's mind and I absolutely think you should have said something to that couple. I know I would have.
  • jenn_may
    jenn_may Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Wow, I have never done this, but I will probably start now! I am usually too busy putting all my stuff in the belt (I'm the girl that puts it on how I want it bagged, so it takes a little extra time) to look at other peoples carts. Very interesting, my interrst has been piqued now. :)
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I took a picture of the lady infront of me in line the other night... she was only buying three items: a box of frozen White Castle burgers, a bottle of wine and a box of cupcakes.

She must have had a rough day.

At least it wasn't a BOX of wine...that would have been a REALLY rough day!
  • newking
    newking Posts: 70 Member
    Options

What about all the smaller people with carts full of crap? Why do they get a free pass???

not everyone even mentioned the size of the person's cart they were looking in. I know I didnt.

most of us are simply noting our own personal evolution and how we notice it when our cart is next to someone who has a cart like we used to have.

We're judging (and by judging i mean the least invested judgment we will ever make, im talking- unless it was something crazy- a judgement we dont even store in our memory) grocery cart contents.

Did I say everyone? I said "so many". Do you want me to count them out for you so we can get a ratio of replies that do and do not mention it? LOL

Also pick on smaller people more? Who said that? I'm just asking for equal judgement. People who eat crap whether they be fat or skinny should get the same kind of judgement if you are going to judge at all.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options

How dare people think things about you! And make logical connections between what you're buying and what you weigh! God, the NERVE. What a bunch of judgey judy's, huh?

When I see thin people with carts full of crap, I think about how lucky they are and they aren't going to be thin much longer if they keep it up. Do I have all the information about that person? Nope. Who cares? I am making a snap judgement based on the information presented to me. That judgment affects the person buying crap... how? Unless you're a mind reader, I think it's safe to say that what I am thinking is none of your business.

Saying it's bad to NEGATIVELY judge people you see is, frankly, the stupidest thing I have ever heard. You can say that it's wrong to be an *kitten* about what your judgement is (whether a person is healthy/unhealthy or whatever) but you WILL NOT go through life with a positive impression of every single person you meet in every encounter.
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    I'm sorry but if someone looks in my cart and judges me, i won't hesitate to punch them in the ****ing face!!! I get that I'm fat, i don't need others judgement to remind me. **** off and die!!

Not everyone who looks in your cart is judging you. Some are just curious or bored. How would you know the difference? I hope I don't accidentally glance at your cart. I can't say that I'm prepared for a physical assault in return. ;)

Thats what makes it worse - its hard to tell if someone's jugdging or not. But then again i do suffer from both social anxiety and body dysmorphia which means increased paranoia when it comes to being judged, so i do have to have self control. Obviously i'd restrain myself from even verbally attacking someone (though i'll admit I'm not always successful - but thats my problem, nand shouldn't be anyone elses), unless they made a comment on how i shouldn't be eating certain things. Its just cheeky and invasive. To be honest its not too bad if the person looking at the groceries says nothing - but the people who comment on it really need to learn the meaning of boundaries..
  • newking
    newking Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I judge myself harder than anyone else on the planet. I judge myself and keep myself accountable and I even take pictures of what I buy - to prove to myself that i stay balanced and im not too far in either direction.

see

l152573611.jpg

On a side note which marinade flavor was that and did you like it? lol
  • Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    I work out mostly for body building 6'0-6'1 ish 230lbs 11-12% bf and on the flip side of the topic its the exact opposite for me as people always peek in my cart but I have peeked in some folks before let me tell ya my story.

This happens to me all the time especially when I wear my tank top or work out cloths and again I work out mostly for body building and when I shop for food I eat lavishily well and shop at many different stores.. I think its really funny when people peek in my cart and for the most part this almost always happens when I am in the meat isle. All of a sudden people will look in my cart and see various food and meat assortments of steaks chicken, ground sirloin then suddenly people will come right next to me to see what I am looking at. Through the OBVIOUS body language you can mostly tell they check it out what I am checking out thinking maybe hes sees a sale and is stocking up or there might be kind of meat that he knows about that I don't that is really awesome. I just laugh in my head thinking no this is my diet and I know how to eat and achieve that. :laugh:

The only carts I have checked out are the really overweight folks. I just am curious to see their diets. I mostly always see the same types of food like frozen every thing, dinners, easy to fix meals, and junk food up the yin yang. A lot of time the meats they pick are also the same quick fix foods such as hot dogs and packaged lunch meats with a slew of condiments. The drinks are almost always cases of soda pop. Either way its always a total night to day difference in diet and choices from my cart and keeps me on the straight and narrow.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry but if someone looks in my cart and judges me, i won't hesitate to punch them in the ****ing face!!! I get that I'm fat, i don't need others judgement to remind me. **** off and die!!

Not everyone who looks in your cart is judging you. Some are just curious or bored. How would you know the difference? I hope I don't accidentally glance at your cart. I can't say that I'm prepared for a physical assault in return. ;)

Thats what makes it worse - its hard to tell if someone's jugdging or not. But then again i do suffer from both social anxiety and body dysmorphia which means increased paranoia when it comes to being judged, so i do have to have self control. Obviously i'd restrain myself from even verbally attacking someone (though i'll admit I'm not always successful - but thats my problem, nand shouldn't be anyone elses), unless they made a comment on how i shouldn't be eating certain things. Its just cheeky and invasive. To be honest its not too bad if the person looking at the groceries says nothing - but the people who comment on it really need to learn the meaning of boundaries..

Then you should be complaining about people who have NO SOCIAL SKILLS who would comment on anything another person is doing where that person can hear, not people who make a judgement on your cart.
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options

How dare people think things about you! And make logical connections between what you're buying and what you weigh! God, the NERVE. What a bunch of judgey judy's, huh?

When I see thin people with carts full of crap, I think about how lucky they are and they aren't going to be thin much longer if they keep it up. Do I have all the information about that person? Nope. Who cares? I am making a snap judgement based on the information presented to me. That judgment affects the person buying crap... how? Unless you're a mind reader, I think it's safe to say that what I am thinking is none of your business.

Saying it's bad to NEGATIVELY judge people you see is, frankly, the stupidest thing I have ever heard. You can say that it's wrong to be an *kitten* about what your judgement is (whether a person is healthy/unhealthy or whatever) but you WILL NOT go through life with a positive impression of every single person you meet in every encounter.

Yeah obviously your thoughts are your own business. Its when they're NOT kept to yourself that makes it a problem. Not everyone's healthy but there's no reason to look down on them either!
  • yoovie
    Options

Did I say everyone? I said "so many". Do you want me to count them out for you so we can get a ratio of replies that do and do not mention it? LOL

Also pick on smaller people more? Who said that? I'm just asking for equal judgement. People who eat crap whether they be fat or skinny should get the same kind of judgement if you are going to judge at all.

wow, my bad, I thought we were discussing the same thing. I was trying to bring it back around to the positive note that most people here are proud of their evolution and can see their progress just by being around other shoppers.

Skinny people get crap too, but Im starting to think that healthy people must be the most judged people ever!

We cant fill our carts up with healthy food without someone stink eye-ing us about how we are making them look bad.
    We cant order a salad at a fas food restaurant when everyone else is ordering big giant burger combos without getting sneers and eyes rolled at us.
    We cant skip dessert at a restaurant without being called obsessed.
    We cant lift weights, run marathons, jump around the playground with kids, enjoy our food or wear what we want or be proud of ourselves, love ourselves and be happy about our lives because someone is already offended by our mere presence.

We know the difference between looking in someone's cart and silently thinking,oh thats interesting, and saying something out loud and damaging when we have no idea what the story is. Hell I KNOW they probably have a cart full of pizza rolls becasue they are having a 7 year olds birthday party this weekend and 40 kids are coming. Explains the jugs of lemonade and all the hot dogs too I bet. Thats why we dont say anything.

But we take note in our head because we have worked hard for sooooooooo long to become aware.

TO BECOME AWARE.

Being aware and noting your surroundings and the choices of people around you, is not being malicious and hateful. Its learning.

Life is the constant adaptaton to your environment. If you dont observe your environment, how can you know how you need to adapt? Honestly.
This discussion has been closed.