New Challenge for Late Night Snackers (June 2012)

Options

Replies

• lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    WOW, so much misinformation going around on these forums, it's quite sad. It's a MYTH that you need to stop eating late at night, by cutting off your food intake you're depriving your body of nutrients while sleeping and causing your body to go into a catabolic state...

Obviously if you plan on having some greasy fries with a bag of doritos that's not a good option for late at night. But there's definitely nothing wrong with a meal of tilapia and broccoli before bed...

I think a lot of use this as we have our weaknesses of doing so well during the day and then blowing it at night. It more of a way to control our calorie intake, not because we think it's a magic pill. Kind of like people who do the intermittent fasting as a way to control the window in which they eat. We aren't promoting that some hours of eating are better than others. Rather this is just a group to help support control and little "mind tricks" if you will to help us keep on track. It seems to have been working for a lot of us for quite some time now.
  • dewdrop
    dewdrop Posts: 1,715 Member
    Options
    WOW, so much misinformation going around on these forums, it's quite sad. It's a MYTH that you need to stop eating late at night, by cutting off your food intake you're depriving your body of nutrients while sleeping and causing your body to go into a catabolic state...

Obviously if you plan on having some greasy fries with a bag of doritos that's not a good option for late at night. But there's definitely nothing wrong with a meal of tilapia and broccoli before bed...

I doubt that eating right before bed is better than leaving a couple of hours' span for the stomach to do its job.

Also, the challenge is called "no late night snacking" and not "skip dinner altogether".

P.S. To make sure, I reread my opening post: there's an "OR" there and the line
    "you want to be kind to yourself and play moderation, by allowing controlled snacking (no junk food! and no mindless eating!) "
    Isn't this EXACTLY what you said about tilapia and broccoli? It could be fruit or a cup of milk or whatever your research says is healthy.
  • dewdrop
    Options
    Ugh I soooo feel like just eating right now :( its 1:40AM and I have like 200 calories left but I feel like pigging out just this one day and don't think I'm gonna make it lol >.< I guess its okay to fall sometimes ;_; I will get back on track tomorrow though >:D

How about you take something out of the fridge, put it on a plate and run away with it in the other room. Then close the door behind you and don't come back in the kitchen till the morning :wink: . Got my message? :smile:
  • LaurieInRose
    Options
    Me - 3
    LNS - 0
  • zaza54
    zaza54 Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options

I just had to respond to this as well. As some of the others have pointed out this, this challenge isn't about deprivation. Rather, it's about self-control. Speaking for myself, if I don't have a cut-off time, I sometimes eat mindlessly without restraint.That adds useless calories that exceed my daily recommended amount. Just not healthy.
    Zaza
  • zaza54
    Options
    Dewdrop,I know from the past that you can do this. I'll be looking for improvement in your reporting. You know I like friendly competition.:wink::flowerforyou:

"Thank you, Zaza! :love: Watch out, I'm getting stronger and if you slip once, we'll be even! :tongue: :wink:"

Ok, dewdrop, you're making my resolve to succeed even stronger.:laugh: Let's do this together ... like the old days.

Me: 4
    LNS: 1

By the way, great job beeps and karenleona! :drinker: You've got the perfect record I was striving for - keep it going all month!!
    I apologize if I missed congratulating anyone else- I forget as I skim thru the thread.
    Zaza
    PS
    dewdrop,I don't know why your response did not appear as a quote - I never could figure out how to do this correctly. Oh well.
  • dewdrop
    Options
    PS
    dewdrop,I don't know why your response did not appear as a quote - I never could figure out how to do this correctly. Oh well.

You have to leave the [ / quote ] (no spaces inside brackets) at the end of the quote. A quote begins with [ quote ] and ends with [ /quote ] (it's the / that says "end of quote"). (I did some internet programming in my "youth" ;), that's why I know this stuff)
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Me-1
    LNS-0

Dude, last night after my 9 cut off time, around 10ish to be exact, I wanted to have something like a pudding cup or a snack bar SO BAD. But I prevaiiiled. Usually one leads to two, which leads to half a bagel, etc.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,994 Member
    Options
    karen - I'm gonna go toe-to-toe with you as long as I can!!

Me: 5
    LNS: 0

We are here to support each other in meeting our goals to diminish/eliminate late-night-snacking (when it leads to consumption of unfavourable calories or calories-over-recommended). I support you all in your endeavours - it isn't easy and I'm glad I also have your support!
  • zaza54
    Options
    beeps,you are so right! And great job beating out LNS!!:flowerforyou: You are very motivating for me - keep it going.
  • xTwK
    xTwK Posts: 121
    Options
    I'll just respond to everyone with this comment rather than everyone individually.

First of all, I NEVER said that I didn't understand this was about "self-control". I stated that stopping food consumption late at night because it's bad for us is a myth.

Second of all, there's no purpose trying to tell me what the purpose of this thread is, people state that it's about "self-control" but all I read is from people what time they're going to stop eating. Which I'll say again is not healthy and does not back up your thoughts on this being a "self-control" thread. Clearly there's some people who don't understand that and are "learning" that late night eating is bad for us which in fact it's the other way around.

Third of all, it's highly sad that the creator of this thread tells me that "I doubt that eating right before bed is better than leaving a couple of hours' span for the stomach to do its job." That just shows that you don't know what you're talking about, you haven't done any research on the subject, and you're spreading harmful "knowledge" to everyone who reads it and for some reason believes that you know what you're talking about.

These forums are plagued with so much misinformation and so many people giving absolute terrible advice. It's disgusting how many people on these forums probably only use this site to educate themselves on proper nutrition and fitness, so many people being fed so many lies by people who know nothing about what they're talking about...
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    I'll just respond to everyone with this comment rather than everyone individually.

First of all, I NEVER said that I didn't understand this was about "self-control". I stated that stopping food consumption late at night because it's bad for us is a myth.

Second of all, there's no purpose trying to tell me what the purpose of this thread is, people state that it's about "self-control" but all I read is from people what time they're going to stop eating. Which I'll say again is not healthy and does not back up your thoughts on this being a "self-control" thread. Clearly there's some people who don't understand that and are "learning" that late night eating is bad for us which in fact it's the other way around.

Third of all, it's highly sad that the creator of this thread tells me that "I doubt that eating right before bed is better than leaving a couple of hours' span for the stomach to do its job." That just shows that you don't know what you're talking about, you haven't done any research on the subject, and you're spreading harmful "knowledge" to everyone who reads it and for some reason believes that you know what you're talking about.

These forums are plagued with so much misinformation and so many people giving absolute terrible advice. It's disgusting how many people on these forums probably only use this site to educate themselves on proper nutrition and fitness, so many people being fed so many lies by people who know nothing about what they're talking about...

Lol.

Trust me, I've educated myself on healthy eating. I joined this, and gave myself a specific time, because late at night when I'm watching t.v for bed (I'm bored) I tend to grab things out of the fridge just for the helluvit. I gave myself a specific time so that I can FORCE myself to say "It'll look bad if I let those guys down" and, of course, those extra cals would be over my daily limit and not helpful at all for weight loss.
  • xTwK
    Options
    Lol.

Trust me, I've educated myself on healthy eating. I joined this, and gave myself a specific time, because late at night when I'm watching t.v for bed (I'm bored) I tend to grab things out of the fridge just for the helluvit. I gave myself a specific time so that I can FORCE myself to say "It'll look bad if I let those guys down" and, of course, those extra cals would be over my daily limit and not helpful at all for weight loss.

If you're late night eating put you over your calorie limit than obviously you're going to gain weight. I didn't realize I had to be so specific on this website. If your late night snack does NOT put you over your limit than you will still lose weight, regardless of what time you have the late night snack. Our bodies are about calories in and calories out, if you're in a caloric deficit than you're going to lose weight and vice versa, again the time of eating does not make a difference.

I'm curious also, what sources did you educate yourself with as far as "healthy eating" goes?
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    Lol.

If you're late night eating put you over your calorie limit than obviously you're going to gain weight. I didn't realize I had to be so specific on this website. If your late night snack does NOT put you over your limit than you will still lose weight, regardless of what time you have the late night snack. Our bodies are about calories in and calories out, if you're in a caloric deficit than you're going to lose weight and vice versa, again the time of eating does not make a difference.

I'm curious also, what sources did you educate yourself with as far as "healthy eating" goes?

Scientific journal articles, as I get them free (I am a geneticist and I work in a Univ lab, so I have access to a lot of em)

Now, I'd love to know why you want to continue to tell me that regardless of my eating time, I'll lose weight on a deficit because I don't recall asking?

Thanks for taking your valuable time to inform me of this, however I already believe in such a system. But hey, seeing as I've seen you pop in on a lot of threads now with useless information and a "holier than thou" attitude (let people spend what they want to on groceries, dude) I'm just going to cross my fingers I have the grace to ignore you from now on.
  • Rachlovesfitness
    Rachlovesfitness Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    This is ME all around...I'm glad I'm not the only one with this problem! I do so well all day and then around 8 PM..dun dun dun.

I'm saying for myself my cut off time is 6 PM. No sooner or later. If I HAVE to have something, then some nice warm tea :)
  • kalajean
    kalajean Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    OMG, you wrote this for me!! This is exactly what I need right now...I do so good during the day and then BAM in an instant at night I ruin the whole thing!

I am going to limit myself to a 100 cal or less snack at 8:30ish after the kids are in bed.
  • xTwK
    Options
    Lol.

Scientific journal articles, as I get them free (I am a geneticist and I work in a Univ lab, so I have access to a lot of em)

Now, I'd love to know why you want to continue to tell me that regardless of my eating time, I'll lose weight on a deficit because I don't recall asking?

Thanks for taking your valuable time to inform me of this, however I already believe in such a system. But hey, seeing as I've seen you pop in on a lot of threads now with useless information and a "holier than thou" attitude (let people spend what they want to on groceries, dude) I'm just going to cross my fingers I have the grace to ignore you from now on.

You say that I have a "holier than thou" attitude yet you're so into yourself it's pathetic. Get over yourself and then respond to me. I have a minor in Nutritional Science and have been amateur bodybuilding for several years, I think I understand how the body works a little better than you. Also these scientific journals you get, how many of them are government funded? I bet all of them, LOL and you still believe what the government tells you... So gullible :laugh:
  • ksantomas
    ksantomas Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Me: 3
    LNS: 0 [yahoo]
    However, like previous posters I need to jump into bed and put a pillow over my head so I don't hear the kitchen calling me. I'm amazed that I can't remember basic information but have the entire inventory of my kitchen down pat! Struggling to figure out if I am actually hungry or is this habit?
  • pxkjmeandmine
    Options
    This is new for me but I am in, my cut off time will be 8:00p.m. for June and hopefully after June. We'll see.
  • DrG3n3
    Options
    Me: 3
    LNS: 0 [yahoo]
    However, like previous posters I need to jump into bed and put a pillow over my head so I don't hear the kitchen calling me. I'm amazed that I can't remember basic information but have the entire inventory of my kitchen down pat! Struggling to figure out if I am actually hungry or is this habit?

I wish I knew what I had in the kitchen. When I need to make dinner I walk around with a :O face for at least 20 minutes trying to figure out what I have and what to make.