Fat Acceptance

Options

Replies

• heretocount
    Options

here's the thing not all people who have access body fat are out of shape when I was in my early 20's I was about 220, I am 5'8 and I was doing palaties every day, riding my bike up hill for hours, I also unloaded truck by hand and out worked most of the guy's I worked with, then went and weight lifted at the gym, I was very inshape for and not just for an overweight person, PLUS I eat healthy foods, water, milk, mineral water (nothing eles) home made ffod like chicken, fish, oat meal, eggs, salad every day with the vinigeret dressing, and five fruits a day, not servings but whole fruits, I had no medical problems, and could run a mile streight threw in about 12 min, which my skinny sister could baarly walk up the stairs with out huffing, I could run up them.

The only thing the doctars could say was unhealthy about me was that my weight reflicted a weight they said was to high, other then that I was healthy as a horse

You were in your early 20s and, in all frankness, a 12-minute mile is not really all that fast for a young, truly fit person. See what the doctors say when you're 35 if nothing has changed. 220 pounds is lot of pressure to put on your joints, among the many other metabolic changes that being obese causes to the body over time.

For every one I knew it was a good time spesh sense I just started getting into running, and the toehr thing is I have a LOT of muscle mass, at around 200 I am a "normal size" but the point is I was healthy, I was eating healthy and working out like crazy, my sister who is very lean but eats like crap and does not work out is haveing all sorts of meadical problems know, sooooo I think your logic is wrong, its not just the weight that matters, its the way people treat there body's, and while being drastically over weight, like were you can't walk up stairs is bad jut have some extra fat there is no medical evedence that that is harmful,
    Yes there is. I already cited it and a nice lady a few post up cited a whole bunch of sources.

every body is deffernt, for instance I am now 250 and I do not have a fatty liver, or any other medical problem another person my size would have, and I know cause I have had all the test done and mri and blah blah blah

So those test can not speak for every one until they study every body seperatly
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    anyway, all other points aside: accept your body how it is. if you should need to change it, by all means, change it! but in every step of the way, one should love the body as it is, never despise it. and we should extend that same grace to our fellow creatures.
  • heretocount
    Options
    I think some are confusing overweight with obese and morbidly obese. It is perfectly obvious that someone 30 pounds overweight is still able to be completely healthy. However there is a point where it becomes unhealthy.

Obvious to most.

I think a lot of people confuse this!! and once some one is about 20 pounds over weight they are then deemed FAT

Well its true that person is fat with an extra 20 pounds with the exception if those 20 pounds are mostly muscle. Now if your under weight and need those 20 pounds then thats a new story and even then you have to make sure that your gaining muscle and not too much body fat.

sorry but no body is FAT they only have fat

HUH?

it's o.k. dear it will come to you.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I think some are confusing overweight with obese and morbidly obese. It is perfectly obvious that someone 30 pounds overweight is still able to be completely healthy. However there is a point where it becomes unhealthy.

Obvious to most.

I think a lot of people confuse this!! and once some one is about 20 pounds over weight they are then deemed FAT

Well its true that person is fat with an extra 20 pounds with the exception if those 20 pounds are mostly muscle. Now if your under weight and need those 20 pounds then thats a new story and even then you have to make sure that your gaining muscle and not too much body fat.

sorry but no body is FAT they only have fat

HUH?

it's o.k. dear it will come to you.

LMAO!
  • somuchsolittle
    Options
    Fat acceptance is unacceptable IMO. I am fat, and I hate it and always have and it resulted from poor choices and excuses. All fat people will be healthier at a healthy weight, even if they are 'healthy' as their fat self.

The problem you have is the same problem I think a lot of other posters have, and that's not understanding that all fat people aren't you. They aren't all living out your same bad choices or in the same pit of self-loathing. They aren't you. Deal with your own issues, and let others deal with their own. They don't deserve to be shamed/discriminated against just because you hate your fat self.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I think some are confusing overweight with obese and morbidly obese. It is perfectly obvious that someone 30 pounds overweight is still able to be completely healthy. However there is a point where it is (obviously) unhealthy.

I agree! But there have been studies showing that even a five pound gain of body fat to be of negative effect on your whole body not to mention insulin resistance,

the problem with study's is that every body is different

You are not a special snowflake. You are human and the rules apply to you too honey
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    Options
    anyway, all other points aside: accept your body how it is. if you should need to change it, by all means, change it! but in every step of the way, one should love the body as it is, never despise it. and we should extend that same grace to our fellow creatures.

Very well said and exactly my point of view.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    Okay, just my two cents.

When I was 294 pounds, I had healthy blood pressure, cholesterol levels, and all of the other health markers people look for problems with in the morbidly obese.

I was not, however, healthy. The excessive weight put too much pressure on my joints, my organs, etc.

Did I need a BMI of under 25 to be healthy?

No.

But I did need to lose weight - it's important to take care of the body we are given, and allowing ourselves to become and stay fat (not chubby, not a little squishy, but actually fat) over a lifetime is not taking care of ourselves.
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    If you come to Denmark they just make unhealthy food crazily expensive instead...

total opposite in the U.S

Yep.. Dollar Menu, anyone??
  • heretocount
    Options
    I think some are confusing overweight with obese and morbidly obese. It is perfectly obvious that someone 30 pounds overweight is still able to be completely healthy. However there is a point where it is (obviously) unhealthy.

I agree! But there have been studies showing that even a five pound gain of body fat to be of negative effect on your whole body not to mention insulin resistance,

You are not a special snowflake. You are human and the rules apply to you too honey

sorry but yes every body is defferent der
  • jerzypeach
    jerzypeach Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I am totally fine with Fat Acceptance until:

1. They encroach into my seat space on the airplane.
    2. They cause my health insurance rates to go up to cover their blood pressure, diabetes, extra-large hospital beds, super-sized wheelchairs, etc.
    3. They clog up the grocery aisles with their ride-on shopping carts.....does anyone not see the jaw-dropping irony of this? Perhaps if the person got up and walked over to spend more time in the produce section rather than scooter it over to the chips and sodas, after a while they wouldn't need the effin scooter???

Just sayin'........
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    Ok, i'm going to put my 2 cents in. I have a cousin that when he started his weight loss journey (again), he was over 500lbs, and realized that he needed to change. He is now down to at least 425. The rest of my cousins, except for the girls, which there are two, are over 300lbs. My heaviest was 243, which was last yr.

My point: people can lose weight unless medical issues arise that prevent them from doing so. A lot of people know that they need to change their eating habits (even my husband realizes this) and it is their choice about whether or not they do it, and they know they need to exercise.

I'm at 199 right now, and I know that I am nowhere near healthy. And while yes I have lost 44lbs in the past yr (it helped with a pregnancy) it doesn't stop me from keep on going. I am upset that people just want an excuse not to change, and I know that i don't want my son to grow up with what i had to deal with, which is being overweight all my life. If people would show their kids how to eat healthy, we might have half a chance, and who do kids look up to, most times parents, which is where the change needs to start (and trust me, i have had this conversation with my hubby and he agrees with me). The MFP community is supportive mostly of people getting healthier, and that is a good thing :)

ending rant now......
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    If you come to Denmark they just make unhealthy food crazily expensive instead...

LOL yeah. I'm hesitant to fully place the blame on fast food though. People do make choices.
  • Erindipitous
    Options
    I'm sorry, but I completely disagree with "Fat Acceptance" and consider it an EXCUSE.

As for the rest of this thread, it's not worth listening to people trying to bargain. You may be "healthy" now, but it WILL cause problems.. Issues not covered in routine health screenings.

So..Good luck with that. :P
  • lilojoke
    Options

sorry but yes every body is defferent der

Stop with the dear crap!

We are all humans and have the same organs, same red blood... How can we all be different? We all lose weight and gain weight at different rates, some can eat more some need to eat less some need more cardio but we are all the same human!
  • lilojoke
    Options
    I am totally fine with Fat Acceptance until:

1. They encroach into my seat space on the airplane.
    2. They cause my health insurance rates to go up to cover their blood pressure, diabetes, extra-large hospital beds, super-sized wheelchairs, etc.
    3. They clog up the grocery aisles with their ride-on shopping carts.....does anyone not see the jaw-dropping irony of this? Perhaps if the person got up and walked over to spend more time in the produce section rather than scooter it over to the chips and sodas, after a while they wouldn't need the effin scooter???

Just sayin'........

The best post here ever!
  • Sapporo
    Sapporo Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think fat acceptance is great. No one should judge anyone because of their weight and treat them differently. None of my damn business if someone else is trying to lose weight or not. I want everyone to love themselves the way they are and we can do that while losing weight at the same time, or just accepting the fatness and being happy like that.
    Someone said People Acceptance. hell yeah to that. Not everyone has to be the same or want to be like you, okay? Okay. (general you, not the OP)
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options

LOL yeah. I'm hesitant to fully place the blame on fast food though. People do make choices.

It's also on foods with a more than 2.5% saturated fat content extra tax is placed.
  • Erindipitous
    Options

Oh, completely true! But the fact that it's cheaper to eat *kitten* gives people the ability to say, "It's what I can afford.. Eating healthy is expensive." To which I want to beat my head off the wall because there are many ways around McDonald's.. But no one wants to take the time to make home-cooked meals anymore. :\