Fat Acceptance

Options

Replies

• lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Fat people have a harder time finding jobs, getting proper health care. finding a companion and many other factors co exist within all of this. Also when your fat especially morbidly obese depression is often a key factor why the morbidly continue to be morbidly obese and do not change.

omg, this is so ridiculous. maybe the healthcare part, but that's because we let insurance agents make our health decisions; or at least some of us do.

i have never in my life had a problem getting a boyfriend, lover, partner or husband if I wanted it. pshaw... somebody's been feedin; you guys a load of garbage.

I won't argue with you any longer. It may be ridiculous but in real life it is harder for the obese to find a good career. I only say this because there are so many people out there that are judgemental that only look at the outer presence of the person and even if that person has skills most likely the next person who is much leaner or weighs less will get the job.
  • heretocount
    Options
    Everyone, please step back and repeat after me.

Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy.

Continue repeating until you get it through your head.

Unfortunately that's a total crock. The truth is some people handle extra weight better than others... until they don't. I've met many older people who are healthy and have their wits. NONE of them were overweight for even part of their lives. I've also spent much time around units that care for people with Alzheimers and dementia. Very few of the patients were slender in their earlier adult lives.

There's a TREMENDOUS difference between being healthy and just not having a diagnosis of an acute disease at this very moment. It goes beyond risk factors. It also has to do with whether you're functioning at the lower or upper end of normal as well as whether your functioning is declining.

Now there are people, who because of biological issues, have a much harder time controlling their urges and weight. They shouldn't be demonized. But it's absolutely absurd to call them healthy because some of them are not on lots of medication or in need of medical procedures at this very moment.

Wrong both my great great grandmothers were larger lady's during their adult life, (not very morbidly obese but deffenitly obese to todays standers) any who they both were very physically active there entire lives, the one lived to be almost 90 and my other great grandmother is 89 and going strong, she has bet cancer three times, she has over come three heart attacks, and she still insists on doing the disheous,

now my grandmother who died in her 50's was very lean,

the only thing that happened to my great grandparents weight is it naturally dropped off when they got up there in age, and from what I heard it's good to have extra weight to loss when you have a disease,
    Cancer three times and three heart attacks. Both often linked to being overweight, and both fatal for most

whe you get old enough you will have medical problem, you can't live for ever, and all those she got when she was in her 80's, but I have doezens of people in my family who were very lean that died young of cancer and have had heart attacks young in life
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    To me, fat acceptance is excuses. I will be never accept being fat. I would never discriminate against anyone based on thier appearance however. I accept people based on thier actions, experiences and heart. I guess I view FA as an internal and personal thing rather than what others view. As far as equality, thought it was pretty obvious that we should all be treated the same regardless of our circumstances.....
  • lilojoke
    Options
    Obesity is linked to a big increase in cancer risk alone (ignoring the whole well-studied long-term risk of cardiovascular disease).

Sources:

Obesity and cancer

Eugenia E Calle and Michael J Thun
    Oncogene (2004) 23, 6365–6378. doi:10.1038/sj.onc.1207751

Large prospective studies show a significant association with obesity for several cancers, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer has classified the evidence of a causal link as 'sufficient' for cancers of the colon, female breast (postmenopausal), endometrium, kidney (renal cell), and esophagus (adenocarcinoma). These data, and the rising worldwide trend in obesity, suggest that overeating may be the largest avoidable cause of cancer in nonsmokers. Few obese people are successful in long-term weight reduction, and thus there is little direct evidence regarding the impact of weight reduction on cancer risk. If the correlation between obesity and cancer mortality is entirely causal, we estimate that overweight and obesity now account for one in seven of cancer deaths in men and one in five in women in the US.

Overweight, obesity and cancer: epidemiological evidence and proposed mechanisms

Eugenia E. Calle & Rudolf Kaaks
    Nature Reviews Cancer 4, 579-591 (August 2004)

The prevalence of obesity is rapidly increasing globally. Epidemiological studies have associated obesity with a range of cancer types, although the mechanisms by which obesity induces or promotes tumorigenesis vary by cancer site. These include insulin resistance and resultant chronic hyperinsulinaemia, increased bioavailability of steroid hormones and localized inflammation. Gaining a better understanding of the relationship between obesity and cancer can provide new insight into mechanisms of cancer pathogenesis.

Google scholar has hundreds of similar articles available if you wish to read up on it: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?q=obesity+and+cancer&hl=en&as_sdt=0&as_vis=1&oi=scholart&sa=X&ei=j0zKT9HEN4mi8QTqzb2JDw&ved=0CBcQgQMwAA

---

Furthermore, heart disease starts in childhood especially in children and adolescents with higher than normal BMI:

The Relation of Overweight to Cardiovascular Risk Factors Among Children and Adolescents: The Bogalusa Heart Study
    David S. Freedman, PhD, William H. Dietz, MD, PhD, Sathanur R. Srinivasan, PhD, Gerald S. Berenson, MD

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/103/6/1175.short#aff-2

Overweight and obesity and weight change in middle aged men: impact on cardiovascular disease and diabetes
    S Goya Wannamethee, A Gerald Shaper, Mary Walker
    J Epidemiol Community Health 2005;59:134-139

Context: The benefit of weight reduction for cardiovascular disease (CVD) outcomes remains uncertain.

Objective: To examine the effects of baseline body mass index on major CVD outcomes and diabetes over a 20 year follow up, and of weight change in the first five years over the subsequent 15 years.

Design and setting: A prospective study of British men followed up for 20 years.

Participants: Men aged 40–59 years with no diagnosis of CVD or diabetes (n = 7176) of whom 6798 provided full information on weight change five years later.

Outcome measures: Major CVD events (fatal and non-fatal myocardial infarction and stroke, angina, “other” CVD deaths) and diabetes.

Results: During the 20 year follow up there were 1989 major CVD events and 449 incident cases of diabetes in the 7176 men. Risk of major CVD and diabetes increased significantly with increasing overweight and obesity. During the 15 year follow up, weight gain was associated with increased risk of CVD and diabetes. Weight loss was associated with lower risk of diabetes than the stable group irrespective of initial weight. No significant cardiovascular benefit was seen for weight loss in any men, except possibly in considerably overweight (BMI 27.5–29.9 kg/m2) younger middle aged men (RR = 0.42; 95% CI 0.22 to 0.81).

Conclusion: Long term risk of CVD and diabetes increased significantly with increasing overweight and obesity. Weight loss was associated with significant reduction in risk of diabetes but not CVD, except possibly in considerably overweight younger men. Duration and severity of obesity seem to limit the cardiovascular benefits of weight reduction in older men.

Want more? Here ya go: http://scholar.google.com/scholar?start=0&q=overweight+cardiovascular+disease&hl=en&as_sdt=0,10&as_vis=1

--

My point here is that though you may be overweight and healthy NOW, the real risk is long-term obesity and overweightness. THAT is what causes serious health problems, not short term or acute obesity. To say otherwise is to be totally blind to the real risk. That's why it's critical to nip this in the butt early on in life before the damage occurs.

Back to the original topic:

No, I don't think fat acceptance is a good idea. That doesn't mean that people should be treated as less than equal because they are overweight or obese, but I think we need to adopt a culture that encourages people to get healthy and stay that way for the long-term health and success of our societies.

Thank you!
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options

Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy.

Please, repeat after me. MOST FAT PEOPLE ARE UNHEALTHY
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options

Please, repeat after me. MOST FAT PEOPLE ARE UNHEALTHY

no, wait: repeat after me: MOST PEOPLE ARE BRAINWASHED
  • walkner88
    walkner88 Posts: 165
    Options
    Yanicka says it right... Although being 5-10 pounds over is no big deal NOW but over time this catches up to you.

Now people who have a high BMI because of muscle mass and are lowering their body fat through diet and exercise are a different story.

I am not for fat acceptance its a stupid thing to have the idea thats it ok to be fat! We were not meant to be fat!

just playing devil's advocate: but we're not meant to eat meat nor drive cars. both of those things have negative impact on our life spans. we're not meant to drill for oil so our fat *kitten* can watch cable television with tv dinners.

so it's not really about what we are "meant" to do. if people did what they were meant to do, the world would be a very different place.

Yes we are meant to eat meat. The development of the teeth pattern of human beings are identical to this of other omnivores within the natural world. The appendix as an organ existed to handle the bacteria of eating rotten and raw meat, and studies of the bones of primitive man shows a nitrate level that would reflect meat making up around 80% of their diet
  • somuchsolittle
    Options
    To me, fat acceptance is excuses. I will be never accept being fat. I would never discriminate against anyone based on thier appearance however. I accept people based on thier actions, experiences and heart. I guess I view FA as an internal and personal thing rather than what others view. As far as equality, thought it was pretty obvious that we should all be treated the same regardless of our circumstances.....

Specifically responding to this: "As far as equality, thought it was pretty obvious that we should all be treated the same regardless of our circumstances....."

I kind of think that if it were obvious, people would actually be doing it. The fact that there's ever any kind of movement along these lines for any group is usually evidence that this isn't the case.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I think some are confusing overweight with obese and morbidly obese. It is perfectly obvious that someone 30 pounds overweight is still able to be completely healthy. However there is a point where it becomes unhealthy.

Obvious to most.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    If you come to Denmark they just make unhealthy food crazily expensive instead...
  • heretocount
    Options
    I think some are confusing overweight with obese and morbidly obese. It is perfectly obvious that someone 30 pounds overweight is still able to be completely healthy. However there is a point where it becomes unhealthy.

Obvious to most.

I think a lot of people confuse this!! and once some one is about 20 pounds over weight they are then deemed FAT
  • lilojoke
    Options
    I think some are confusing overweight with obese and morbidly obese. It is perfectly obvious that someone 30 pounds overweight is still able to be completely healthy. However there is a point where it is (obviously) unhealthy.

I agree! But there have been studies showing that even a five pound gain of body fat to be of negative effect on your whole body not to mention insulin resistance,
  • Darlingir
    Darlingir Posts: 437
    Options
    If you come to Denmark they just make unhealthy food crazily expensive instead...

total opposite in the U.S
  • lilojoke
    Options

Obvious to most.

I think a lot of people confuse this!! and once some one is about 20 pounds over weight they are then deemed FAT

Well its true that person is fat with an extra 20 pounds with the exception if those 20 pounds are mostly muscle. Now if your under weight and need those 20 pounds then thats a new story and even then you have to make sure that your gaining muscle and not too much body fat.
  • MotivatedMom2012
    Options
    166 pounds lost!!! OMG you are amazing. Way to go!!!
  • heretocount
    Options
    I think some are confusing overweight with obese and morbidly obese. It is perfectly obvious that someone 30 pounds overweight is still able to be completely healthy. However there is a point where it is (obviously) unhealthy.

I agree! But there have been studies showing that even a five pound gain of body fat to be of negative effect on your whole body not to mention insulin resistance,

the problem with study's is that every body is different
  • heretocount
    Options

Obvious to most.

Well its true that person is fat with an extra 20 pounds with the exception if those 20 pounds are mostly muscle. Now if your under weight and need those 20 pounds then thats a new story and even then you have to make sure that your gaining muscle and not too much body fat.

sorry but no body is FAT they only have fat
  • yogata
    yogata Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Fat people know they're fat. They're not blind. To me, fat acceptance is recognizing the person within the person, and treating them with the same humanity we should treat all others. Be kind, as everyone is carrying within them a struggle.

I LOVE THIS LIFE IS A STRUGGLE WE MUST GET THROUGH THIS LIFE TO ENJOY THE NEXT ONE.
  • lilojoke
    Options

Obvious to most.

sorry but no body is FAT they only have fat

HUH?
  • kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    so it's not really about what we are "meant" to do. if people did what they were meant to do, the world would be a very different place.

Yes we are meant to eat meat. The development of the teeth pattern of human beings are identical to this of other omnivores within the natural world. The appendix as an organ existed to handle the bacteria of eating rotten and raw meat, and studies of the bones of primitive man shows a nitrate level that would reflect meat making up around 80% of their diet

to think that meat would make up 80% of one's diet is silly. people would have had to catch those animals themselves, and in the meantime, they'd eat other things, obviously. i'm not saying people didn't eat meat, but what they called meat and what we call meat are two sorely different things. we weren't "meant" to eat meat, if we were, we'd have very pointy, sharp teeth. we CAN eat meat, and that's a different thing all together.