Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Fat Acceptance

Replies

• GAsoulstar
    GAsoulstar Posts: 84 Member
    The words "Fat Acceptance" to me is a way for me to motivation myself to be better. If I can help anyone in anyway to be better that is a blessing. A lot of the blame for "Fat Acceptance" comes back to ourselves. There are different ways to get around the word "Fat Acceptance". I believe we should try to be better today than we were yesterday. Daily challenges are motivating for me. Being around people that are positive and doing things to challenge themselves is motivating for me. You have to want what is best for yourself and that is a "Life Changing Acceptance". We have to accept ourselve for who we are and go from there. Everything we do in life takes time so ignore the words "Fat Acceptance" and accept yourself for who you are. Afterward, try and do all the right things that will make you feel better about yourself.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    I think people are not reading the site.

Its saying society should change for obese and super obese people.

Should a transit company have to build bigger buses for people that weight 300lbs plus?
    Should airlines have to make seats bigger for 300lbs +

Also they are saying people cannot control themselves so regulations should be imposed to force people to accept everything

Its a crock of ****. I am not saying discriminating against fat people should be tolerated, but forcing society to accommodate them is not the way to go about it.

Its just another way to dumb down america any way you slice it. There cannot be a gap between people economically or physically so the government and special interests groups will try and close that gap by putting an upper limit on what someone can do/think.

This is a very friendly country. They like to accommodate everyone. When I first came to the US, I saw, that pretty much everything here is translated into spanish. Instead of people forcing to be integrated and learn english. I am from germany and a lot of turkish people live there but nowhere you will see translations into turkish. It's like, they don't give a sh... over there. (I don't know if thats good or bad.....) When a very obese person walks around in germany, everyone turns their heads or makes comments. This is very different over here. People have way more acceptance.

And what does that get us? Large immigrant populations that refuse to acclimate and half our population thinking it's ok to be fat. Go us. Thanks a lot, libtards.

Fat Acceptance, as a movement, is yet another way for us to tell our kids that it's ok to not be the best you you can be. There are a million excuses why you're fat and it's everyone's fault but your own, right? YES, there are exceptions, of the medical fatty or the superfit marathon runner who is 100 pounds overweight, but MOST of the time a fat person is fat because of an unhealthy lifestyle. That is something I refuse to accept.

I say NO to larger seats and weight limits and fat people should NOT be a protected class.

And one last thing... Many people have said they want people to love themselves at any size... eating yourself to death and not exercising is in no way, shape or form LOVING YOURSELF. Those people cling to things like "Fat Acceptance" because they hate themselves inside. All this "movement" does is make it easier to keep making the same bad decisions, keep making excuses and keep on being miserable. Loving yourself means constant improvement, challenging yourself to be better and better, not stagnating on a couch with a bag of chips. I have so much respect for the people here who are working so hard to get healthy and fit.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    We shouldn't have any of these laws for any group. If anyone wants to prove themselves at equal make them earn it. Oh you're too fat to walk up the stairs well then I'm not hiring you to represent my company. Oh you've had 3 major weight related health issues? Ill insure you when you show you're correcting your poor behavior. When my dog jumps on the coach I swat him and get him down, I don't change the rules and make it to where he can be the just because he wants to be. We need to stop catering to everyone's feelings and go back to our former glory. In the service we kick out those that are too fat to do their job and I love it that wa. It should be a dishonorable discharge because they chose to no longer be contributing members of our service.

YES! :flowerforyou:
  • tnrown87
    tnrown87 Posts: 134 Member
    Bump for later. Very interesting.
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    I agree that every person should be treated the same whatever their weight.

I don't agree with encouraging obesity or encouraging people not to change their lifestyles.
    In the UK, obese and morbidly obese patients get their treatment FREE on the NHS, this includes gastric bypass surgery, any weight related problems that require surgery or hospital stays. They are costing the NHS a fortune! Same goes with smokers and drinkers, if you choose to do it to yourself you should pay for the consequences. Unless you have been diagnosed with an actual medical disorder.

People need to be educated on being healthy and that healthy doesn't mean 'thin' but eating better and looking after yourself with exercise.
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    OMG everyone is judged and treated badly for something. When I was 115 pounds I had people add fod to my cart,I got passed over for jobs because they thought i wasnt strong enough to do the work. Strangers would come up to me to tell me about eating disorder hotlines. People would make eat a hamburger comments ect ect
    when I was 230 pounds nobody EVER said anything negitive to me about my weight...not even once in the 4 years I spent at that weight.
    Not to say it does not happen but i got more *kitten* for being skinny that I ever did for being fat.

Im sorry if you take up more than one seat you should have to pay for more than one seat.OMG the whole world should change just for me crap is BS
    People will ALWAYS be discriminated against for one thing or another. People will always judge that has been constant in all of human history.What suddleny makes people think that will change? Who cares if some stranger on the street thinks you are fat,too skinny,slutty looking,ugly,ect ect
    The biggest downfall we are facing is we are becoming a nation of politcly correct cry babies.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    OMG everyone is judged and treated badly for something. When I was 115 pounds I had people add fod to my cart,I got passed over for jobs because they thought i wasnt strong enough to do the work. Strangers would come up to me to tell me about eating disorder hotlines. People would make eat a hamburger comments ect ect
    when I was 230 pounds nobody EVER said anything negitive to me about my weight...not even once in the 4 years I spent at that weight.
    Not to say it does not happen but i got more *kitten* for being skinny that I ever did for being fat.

Im sorry if you take up more than one seat you should have to pay for more than one seat.OMG the whole world should change just for me crap is BS
    People will ALWAYS be discriminated against for one thing or another. People will always judge that has been constant in all of human history.What suddleny makes people think that will change? Who cares if some stranger on the street thinks you are fat,too skinny,slutty looking,ugly,ect ect
    The biggest downfall we are facing is we are becoming a nation of politcly correct cry babies.

are they actually saying that they shouldnt have to pay more if they take up more than 1 seat? thats insane. if you are fat you should have to pay for the seat you are encroaching on along with higher insurance rates etc..etc...

most people are fat because they are lazy....self included.
  • KSea77
    KSea77 Posts: 119 Member
    A person is more than their weight. They have thoughts, feelings, desires, and emotions just like a skinny person. To me, "fat acceptance" isn't saying being fat is healthy, or ideal, or idolized. Its accepting that the adjective "fat" isn't the sole defining characteristic of a person. Fat people deal with a lot of assumptions made about them - they're lazy, dumb, slow, low-class. You see a person, and judge them immediately, simply because of their weight. That is unfair, and dehumanizing. We all have an inner life that lives on regardless of how our exterior appears.

Fat people know they're fat. They're not blind. To me, fat acceptance is recognizing the person within the person, and treating them with the same humanity we should treat all others. Be kind, as everyone is carrying within them a struggle.

You said it so well. I totally agree. Everyone deserves respect.
  • scruffykaz
    scruffykaz Posts: 317 Member
    First I've heard of it....going to look at the website now!
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Fat people know they're fat. They're not blind. To me, fat acceptance is recognizing the person within the person, and treating them with the same humanity we should treat all others. Be kind, as everyone is carrying within them a struggle.

Amen. It boils down to basic human respect.

I also believe that insurance companies need to add on more mental health options. A lot of my reasons for gaining weight were due to how depressed I was/how I felt about myself and I just couldn't afford the help I needed. I'm sure I'm not the only one out there.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Just taking a quick poll of opinions on the Fat Acceptance movement.

While I don't think that anyone should be discriminated against based on size, I also don't believe that living at an unhealthy weight should be considered ok.

You've stated my view. Despite some studies, I don't believe that it's impossible to lose weight and maintain it and with a widespread attitude of Fat Acceptance, there won't even be any incentive for people to try, or to keep from getting fat in the first place. It's already happening: look at the rising obesity rate among children.

There also won't be any incentive to bring about the societal changes that will help people stay at a healthier weight, which involves pressure on Big Food by consumers and the government. It's going to take a long time.

I recognize, believe me I do, that losing weight is very difficult, but I'm disturbed when Fat Acceptance people demand accommodations like bigger seats for an entire subway system that will cost millions to implement when the problem is their weight, not the size of the seats. I dislike it when I'm squeezed in between two obese people on the subway and am making myself as small as I can and they act as if it's MY problem.

Still, I believe that people of any weight and fitness should have access to access to resources and facilities that will help them lose weight or maintain their fitness. Of course nobody wants to pay for that.
  • hazelovesfood
    hazelovesfood Posts: 454 Member
    I dont necassarily think its a good thing, for one it can be a licence to say, well im gonna eat what the hell i like.I think there are 3 kinds of people, those that control what they eat all the time, those that flucuate and those that over eat. I could be a over eater if i let myself go. Once years ago I was about 14 stone 7 and pushing a size 18. At that time i didnt think i was getting fat as i didnt look to bad for my height, but when i look back now i can see I could quite easiy become very large.I dont think its true when people say that are happy being fat, the media throws at us all the time about how good we want to look etc, they call a size 14 fat a size 12 even fat. most people are a average size and dont over eat all the time. When im out and about i look around at people and most people are in the middle, there not skinny and there not massively overweight.I look at people sometimes and see then eating cakes etc and hes me trying not to eat them lol, i think its unfair sometimes and i wish I could eat them all the time too lol.One person on here just said that he or she made themsleves that way and thats true, I made myself eat too much, I did it to myself coz when you look in the mirror you can think , oh im not that bad and be in a dress size 20. The thing is, in the end you have to want to make a change, I dont care if your fat or skinny your a person to me, but what i do care about is what that weight or underweight is doing to your health. I can tell you , its so easy just to eat whateverv you want, takeaways all the time etc, loads of soda and think your going to be ok. Its the same as drugs, take them all your life and your gonna end up with something bad happening to you. My body is in no way a temple but i try and be good, most of the time.My mother is underweight and i know full well she is eating very little when she is not with me, left to her own devices she will fade away, on the other hand my hubbys is over weight and has fooled himself for years he is fine, unitl now when he has been diagnosed with diabeties. He is now losing weight and im so pleased that some time soon, i will know he is so much healthier, so forget the acceptence, for me acceptence is giving up on them.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member

Actually, I've read several times that some fat people do not recognize themselves as fat, which is part of the problem. The Fat Acceptance people (or some of them) want to introduce a new norm that is not healthy. There's a difference between demanding the basic respect due to any human and advocating that people should be like you, using the false premise that the way you live carries no health consequences.

Needless to say, I'm talking about people who have control over their weight, not people who are overweight because of a medical issue, medical treatment or medication.
  • jacque1129
    jacque1129 Posts: 113 Member
    if you're happy being chubby i don't care. but if you're absolutely miserable being heavy i'd hope you'd try and change your life. your size doesn't define you. i think we need to accept people not their size. :smile:
  • DieVixen
    DieVixen Posts: 790 Member
    I was looking around at fat acceptance blogs,most were ridiculous in the stuff they were saying,but amid that I found a great blog!

http://www.escapefromobesity.net/2009/01/fat-acceptance.html
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    I think this is just another crock. Another way for people to lack personal accountability...removing consequences for poor choices. Really, build bigger seats? Who's going to pay for it? If you eat too much and don't move around, your body will respond with weight gain. If you do nothing to change that reality, it will continue. The result, you won't fit into furniture, bus seats, cab seats, plane seats, and ultimately, you won't like yourself very much.

Thats exactly what it is, but people want to try and change it into "discrimination" like they were born that way and theres nothing they can do about it. Stop trying to class fat people as a race. To me fat acceptance is saying "I give up", and you can come up with a million excuses but thats really what it is. I dont know what its like to be fat, ive been ridiculed for being super skinny as a child, I was made fun of plenty. But i'm not going to join the "skinny acceptance" movement because i'm not GIVING UP on myself, i'm also not blaming anyone else but myself. I know what I have to do to get where I want. I could just GIVE UP like the fat people are doing, but thats a defeatest attitiude that I will not alllow myself to accept.

When do the fat pride parades start?

Self discipline- training and control of oneself and one's conduct, usually for personal improvement

Self control- the ability of a person to exert his/her will over the inhibitions of their body or self
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Everyone, please step back and repeat after me.

Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy.

Continue repeating until you get it through your head.

The proof of that is all the 300lb 80 and 90 year olds walking around the streets........oh, wait.....
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member

This is a very friendly country. They like to accommodate everyone. When I first came to the US, I saw, that pretty much everything here is translated into spanish. Instead of people forcing to be integrated and learn english. I am from germany and a lot of turkish people live there but nowhere you will see translations into turkish. It's like, they don't give a sh... over there. (I don't know if thats good or bad.....) When a very obese person walks around in germany, everyone turns their heads or makes comments. This is very different over here. People have way more acceptance.

I think that may not about acceptance so much as people are accustomed to it. It's just not a rarity and so doesn't attract attention.
  • OSC_ESD
    OSC_ESD Posts: 752 Member
    ~ One size does NOT fit all .... to each is own ~

Everybody has a vice ... rather it be drinking, smoking, eating ... sex ( :noway: ) ... every person should have the right to live their life according to their rules ... I personally can't imagine killing myself slowly by inhaling tar ... but then again, their are a lot of thin smokers whom would cringe at an obese individual eating a Big Mac .... again, the best part about this Country is the freedom it brings !

With that being said ... I would love to believe that with education, information and knowledge ... people would try to eventually turn their vice into a healthy lifestyle ... I know I have ! :flowerforyou:
  • All fat people are unhealthy ALL fat people ARE unhealthy

but not all large people are fat....

if we really wanted to fix the problem we could do it... introduce a tax on unhealthy foods, introduce proper education into our schools, enforce health in schools, change the curriculum to include real exercise on a daily basis for all students, and why the heck not... all workplaces, like they do in japan

and look at all the 80 and 90 year old japanese