Fat Acceptance

Options

Replies

• Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options
    Everyone, please step back and repeat after me.

Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy.

Continue repeating until you get it through your head.

Not all unhealthy people are fat.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    I'm torn between my strong belief that everyone should be comfortable in their own skin and love themselves as they are and my equally firm belief that people should try to be healthy.

^This. This thread is long and everything I was going to say has been said, so I'm just gonna quote this and leave. Basically sums up my feelings; I'm torn.
  • svangirl
    svangirl Posts: 3
    Options
    But what about people who eat healthy food and are still overweight? It is about metabolism and everyone is different. When I was married I ate very healthy, all my grains and fruits and veggies and I walked and worked. My husband barely moved from the couch, scarfed down 5 burgers in a sitting and was thinner than me. Explain that? It is not the same as smoking! Well maybe it is. Not everyone who smokes dies of cancer or even has health probelms.
  • zCarsAndCaloriesz
    Options
    A person is more than their weight. They have thoughts, feelings, desires, and emotions just like a skinny person. To me, "fat acceptance" isn't saying being fat is healthy, or ideal, or idolized. Its accepting that the adjective "fat" isn't the sole defining characteristic of a person. Fat people deal with a lot of assumptions made about them - they're lazy, dumb, slow, low-class. You see a person, and judge them immediately, simply because of their weight. That is unfair, and dehumanizing. We all have an inner life that lives on regardless of how our exterior appears.

Fat people know they're fat. They're not blind. To me, fat acceptance is recognizing the person within the person, and treating them with the same humanity we should treat all others. Be kind, as everyone is carrying within them a struggle.

^ This x 1 million.
  • CarlaKempert
    Options
    Mike, I could not agree with you more. I know someone at my office who got a handicapped parking decal just because of her weight, yet she comes in at 8 and has a 2nd breakfast consisting of donuts and bacon. (I'm not kidding. She sits across the aisle from me so I get to smell it.) Clearly she likes her handicap, but it doesn't get any sympathy points with me. I worked my tail off to lose 30 pounds, and I know I have a long way to go to lose the rest but I'm going to continue working on it 'til I get there. It's not okay to just give up and accept yourself as you are. If you stop working and growing, you atrophy. Simple as that.

I'm also concerned that certain groups of people want Americans to stay "fat and happy" and complacent so we don't question anything. Look at the food pyramid. It was geared not toward what was healthy but what was profitable.

HBO's "The Weight of the Nation" really opened my eyes. Some people prefer going through life with their eyes closed, and it really pisses me off. If I can put in the work, why do they feel exempt, or they "can't"? Fat is not healthy.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    It IS A LIE Straight from HEEELLYAL!!! At one point I weighed MORE than 380 lbs. in My adult life. I have LOST the weight and am Maintaining Excellent Health! I have FALLOUT from the Obesity (Arthritis) but I thank GOD everyday that I do NOT have any other Co-Morbidities! I did it/Do It with an eating plan of Moderation and Moderate exercise (Life Plan.)

I do not believe in discrimination but these people are in for A MAJOR awakening when each one gets 40+. The EFFECTS of their obesity will have taken hold...then WATCH the "Rats" flee the sinking ship...the Co-Morbidities will be so painful and life threatening that they will be forced to lose weight. THEN you will see a change in each one by one, saying " you CAN lose the weight AND Keep It OFF!"
  • comogirl
    comogirl Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My two cents, for what they are worth- I have not read most of this crap because it will just piss me off. I have recently done some checking into and being overweight is not always the choice everyone thinks it is, I have 2 metabolic conditions working against me as well as genetic predisposition (and yes there is scientific fact to back up genetic predisposition). Granted my choices to eat what I wanted made me overweight, but there were other factors that played a role. Of all of the lifestyle choices that people choose out there being overweight seems to be the least acceptable and I am not sure why.

WHY DOES ANYONE CARE IF SOMEONE IS FAT? IT'S NOT HURTING ANYONE BUT THE PERSON THAT CHOOSES TO BE THAT WAY!

I DON'T THINK ACCEPTING SOMEONE FOR THE WAY THEY ARE IS CONDONING THEIR DECISION TO BE OVERWEIGHT!
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I started at 469 lbs here, and in my opinion fat acceptance is the equivalent to cancer acceptance, aids acceptance or meth acceptance. I think I made my point already, but its ridiculous. Overweight individuals should not be discriminated against, but they should not be told that it is ok to be that way. Its up to each person to make their own life changes, not up to anyone else. I refuse to "accept" being fat, and I think that fat acceptance is a very dangerous concept, especially when groups of people come together and support eachothers lack of will to change.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

This is a very friendly country. They like to accommodate everyone. When I first came to the US, I saw, that pretty much everything here is translated into spanish. Instead of people forcing to be integrated and learn english. I am from germany and a lot of turkish people live there but nowhere you will see translations into turkish. It's like, they don't give a sh... over there. (I don't know if thats good or bad.....) When a very obese person walks around in germany, everyone turns their heads or makes comments. This is very different over here. People have way more acceptance.

I think that may not about acceptance so much as people are accustomed to it. It's just not a rarity and so doesn't attract attention.

First of all, I believe fat people deserve respect. But to use your language analogy, there are significant differences between fat people and non-native English speakers.

Yes, in large cities there are attempts to accommodate people who are non-native speakers, but refusing to hire someone for a job in which English fluency would be required would not be discrimination and if you want to be a fully participating member of American society you would want to master English. You would certainly want your children to speak English fluently. It's also not your fault that you don't speak English fluently by reason of having been born elsewhere (although in fact many foreigners speak English beautifully).
  • mfpcopine
    Options

WHY DOES ANYONE CARE IF SOMEONE IS FAT? IT'S NOT HURTING ANYONE BUT THE PERSON THAT CHOOSES TO BE

No matter what the FA people say, most obese people are not healthy, certainly not long term, and there are many obesity-associated medical conditions that are expensive to treat, for example, Tyoe 2 Diabetes, that insurance alone (if you have insurance) will never completely cover. We all end up paying. Most obesity is preventable.

People's genes have not changed in the 30, 40 years. Their habits of consumption and levels of activity have. I'm not saying i't's all their fault; there are many conditions that come into play, for example, the lowered cost of food that has led to overeating. Still, the individual has to play his or her role and "acceptance" is not the answer.
  • KetoBella
    KetoBella Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I don't believe the point of "Fat Acceptance" is to promote getting or staying Fat. I understand it to mean not to discriminate. Not to judge. And that goes for self judgement and discrimination. We as a society tend to be focused on image rather than substance. I think if we all were kinder to ourselves and the people we come into contact with each day that is the acceptance we all should strive for.
  • fittocycle
    fittocycle Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't want someone who is overweight to be treated any differently. I've walked in their shoes and understand what it feels like. However, I chose to lose weight and fight it to be a normal weight for over 30 years. That's my choice. I feel like I have a better quality of life because of it.

I disagree with the idea that fat people know they are fat. How many of us have looked in the mirror and said, "it's just this outfit that makes me look big" or "the camera adds 10 pounds". It's not always easy to see it and realize you need to make changes. Often, it takes a while to realize that yes, you are overweight.

As far as overweight people taking handicapped spots, we should keep in mind that their disability might not be apparent to us. We can see they are overweight, but we can't see if they have had recent surgery, a heart condition, etc.

It's funny how a certain behavior can become a norm too. Last year, I got my first ever new car. And yes, I was one of those annoying people who park waaay out in the parking lot. Guess what? I still park out there but now it's because I don't mind walking the extra way. I actually like getting in a few more steps and a little more exercise. I had knee surgery this week and up until the surgery, I was still parking way out there too!
  • comogirl
    comogirl Posts: 154 Member
    Options

WHY DOES ANYONE CARE IF SOMEONE IS FAT? IT'S NOT HURTING ANYONE BUT THE PERSON THAT CHOOSES TO BE

No matter what the FA people say, most obese people are not healthy, certainly not long term, and there are many obesity-associated medical conditions that are expensive to treat, for example, Tyoe 2 Diabetes, that insurance alone (if you have insurance) will never completely cover. We all end up paying. Most obesity is preventable.

People's genes have not changed in the 30, 40 years. Their habits of consumption and levels of activity have. I'm not saying i't's all their fault; there are many conditions that come into play, for example, the lowered cost of food that has led to overeating. Still, the individual has to play his or her role and "acceptance" is not the answer.
    I wont get into my political beliefs but, there is a large population of people who are not obese that have diabetes, there is a large population of overweight people with insurance, and there is a large population of people with expensive health conditions that are not obese that we end up paying for.....
  • mfpcopine
    Options
    I don't believe the point of "Fat Acceptance" is to promote getting or staying Fat. I understand it to mean not to discriminate. Not to judge. And that goes for self judgement and discrimination. We as a society tend to be focused on image rather than substance. I think if we all were kinder to ourselves and the people we come into contact with each day that is the acceptance we all should strive for.

As with all movements, there's a range of views, but I definitely have seen my share of militant fat people who believe that to be 300 pounds is fine and it's for the World to adapt. No sane person would argue that being very overweight or obese is healthy. If I thought they were at least raising their children to be healthy that would be different, but the same bad habits are being passed down to the next generation.
  • mfpcopine
    Options

I wont get into my political beliefs but, there is a large population of people who are not obese that have diabetes, there is a large population of overweight people with insurance, and there is a large population of people with expensive health conditions that are not obese that we end up paying for.....

--It is true that not everyone who has Type II Diabetes is overweight, but most are. They don't call it "Diabesity Syndrome" for nothing.

--Even people with insurance are subsidized by the state. Hospitals, medical treatments, insurance does not pay for everything.

--Everyone who ages gets ill, but it does make a moral difference if you are ill from a preventable condition about which you were fully informed for decades. Some people think that people should be able to do what they want, but if they make bad choices they should be required to pay for them. If people don't get control of themselves, that one day may be our system.
  • larryc0923
    larryc0923 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Well said.
  • somuchsolittle
    Options

As with all movements, there's a range of views, but I definitely have seen my share of militant fat people who believe that to be 300 pounds is fine and it's for the World to adapt. No sane person would argue that being very overweight or obese is healthy. If I thought they were at least raising their children to be healthy that would be different, but the same bad habits are being passed down to the next generation.

If you understand that there's a range of views with all movements, why are you reducing this one down to the militants you've come in contact with?
  • mfpcopine
    Options

here's the thing not all people who have access body fat are out of shape when I was in my early 20's I was about 220, I am 5'8 and I was doing palaties every day, riding my bike up hill for hours, I also unloaded truck by hand and out worked most of the guy's I worked with, then went and weight lifted at the gym, I was very inshape for and not just for an overweight person, PLUS I eat healthy foods, water, milk, mineral water (nothing eles) home made ffod like chicken, fish, oat meal, eggs, salad every day with the vinigeret dressing, and five fruits a day, not servings but whole fruits, I had no medical problems, and could run a mile streight threw in about 12 min, which my skinny sister could baarly walk up the stairs with out huffing, I could run up them.

The only thing the doctars could say was unhealthy about me was that my weight reflicted a weight they said was to high, other then that I was healthy as a horse

You were in your early 20s and, in all frankness, a 12-minute mile is not really all that fast for a young, truly fit person. See what the doctors say when you're 35 if nothing has changed. 220 pounds is lot of pressure to put on your joints, among the many other metabolic changes that being obese causes to the body over time.
  • victoria4321
    victoria4321 Posts: 1,719 Member
    Options
    Fat people know they're fat. They're not blind. To me, fat acceptance is recognizing the person within the person, and treating them with the same humanity we should treat all others. Be kind, as everyone is carrying within them a struggle.

Actually, I've read several times that some fat people do not recognize themselves as fat, which is part of the problem. The Fat Acceptance people (or some of them) want to introduce a new norm that is not healthy. There's a difference between demanding the basic respect due to any human and advocating that people should be like you, using the false premise that the way you live carries no health consequences.

Needless to say, I'm talking about people who have control over their weight, not people who are overweight because of a medical issue, medical treatment or medication.

I can say for myself that I didnt know I was fat. I was 18yrs old and a size 14 at 175lbs. It wasn't until my brother had a talk with me that I started getting more active. It took years of developing healthy habits before I found what works for me.
  • mfpcopine
    Options

If you understand that there's a range of views with all movements, why are you reducing this one down to the militants you've come in contact with?

Because that's the position of the group that was cited by the OP. I love how you've attempted to reduce my nuanced view to one as unsubtle as your own.