Fat Acceptance

Options

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I don't believe the point of "Fat Acceptance" is to promote getting or staying Fat. I understand it to mean not to discriminate. Not to judge. And that goes for self judgement and discrimination. We as a society tend to be focused on image rather than substance. I think if we all were kinder to ourselves and the people we come into contact with each day that is the acceptance we all should strive for.

That's the way I understand it too.

I don't think I should feel less worthy as a person because I'm fatter than I was 10 years ago. And I don't think I should think other people are less worthy because they're fatter or thinner than me.

I'm getting the feeling that people are worried that fat acceptance means that people won't feel bad enough about themselves to diet and that this is a bad thing for their health. And even that it might go a stage further and encourage thin people to make themselves fat. But I don't think that's the danger that it might seem to be. For one thing, there is so much pressure to be slim, that I don't think it's going to be outweighed by a pressure to be fat any time soon. And I don't think that fat acceptance is the same thing as pressure to be fat anyway. It's about acceptance of fat people who are already fat, not encouraging thin people to become fat.

I'd guess that the majority of fat people do feel bad about themselves to some extent (it's difficult to avoid, with so much pressure to be slim). And the majority will not become slim and stay slim, however bad they feel. For reasons we maybe don't quite understand yet, it seems to be very difficult for people to do that. If somebody isn't going to be slim, then making them feel bad about themselves is only negative and not positive.

It's made me a little bit sad reading this thread, that even in a community where a lot of people must be overweight, fat acceptance is not the norm.
  • somuchsolittle
    Options
    I don't believe the point of "Fat Acceptance" is to promote getting or staying Fat. I understand it to mean not to discriminate. Not to judge. And that goes for self judgement and discrimination. We as a society tend to be focused on image rather than substance. I think if we all were kinder to ourselves and the people we come into contact with each day that is the acceptance we all should strive for.

As with all movements, there's a range of views, but I definitely have seen my share of militant fat people who believe that to be 300 pounds is fine and it's for the World to adapt. No sane person would argue that being very overweight or obese is healthy. If I thought they were at least raising their children to be healthy that would be different, but the same bad habits are being passed down to the next generation.

If you understand that there's a range of views with all movements, why are you reducing this one down to the militants you've come in contact with?

Because that's the position of the group that was cited by the OP. I love how you've attempted to reduce my nuanced view to one as unsubtle as your own.

*sigh* Throughout this post people have stated several times that this is something that encompasses more than just that one site, so. It seems a bit silly to bring it back to such a narrow focus yet again just because the OP started out that way. They asked about a movement and then linked to a site when the movement is MORE than just that one site. Many people have commented on other aspects and yet more people are bringing it back to, "But it's their fault they're fat and they want me to pay for it! They want fat to be the norm! Won't someone please think of the children!"
  • Vailara
    Options
    OMG everyone is judged and treated badly for something. When I was 115 pounds I had people add fod to my cart,I got passed over for jobs because they thought i wasnt strong enough to do the work. Strangers would come up to me to tell me about eating disorder hotlines. People would make eat a hamburger comments ect ect
    when I was 230 pounds nobody EVER said anything negitive to me about my weight...not even once in the 4 years I spent at that weight.
    Not to say it does not happen but i got more *kitten* for being skinny that I ever did for being fat.

One reason for that could be simply politeness. I've noticed that I heard more negative comments about fat people when I was slim than when I was fat. (I suppose people weren't afraid to say what they really thought about fat people to somebody who wasn't fat, and probably assumed I felt the same way). It's considered a bit insulting to tell somebody that they've put on weight, that they're looking fat, that they should eat less, etc. It's not considered insulting to tell somebody that they've lost weight, that they're looking thin, that they should eat more, etc. It's almost a compliment.

( I do hope you managed to take some action about being discriminated against at work though - that's serious.

Strangers giving you eating disorder helplines is really odd. If I was you that would have made me feel uncomfortable. I suppose it's not meant as insult though, just concern. )
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    A person is more than their weight. They have thoughts, feelings, desires, and emotions just like a skinny person. To me, "fat acceptance" isn't saying being fat is healthy, or ideal, or idolized. Its accepting that the adjective "fat" isn't the sole defining characteristic of a person. Fat people deal with a lot of assumptions made about them - they're lazy, dumb, slow, low-class. You see a person, and judge them immediately, simply because of their weight. That is unfair, and dehumanizing. We all have an inner life that lives on regardless of how our exterior appears.

Fat people know they're fat. They're not blind. To me, fat acceptance is recognizing the person within the person, and treating them with the same humanity we should treat all others. Be kind, as everyone is carrying within them a struggle.

^^^^^^^LOVE!!!
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    For some reason reading this brought a question to mind... where do eating disorders come from??? What would make a person try to harm themselves to the point of starvation? Why would anyone feel they NEEDED to do that?? Why do people have trouble "eating enough calories to maintain weightloss? Why are they afraid of calories or gaining a single ounce??? I don't know why this topic and these replies should make me wonder these questions... but for some reason... they do...
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I was at my sons 4th Grade Music Concert and one of the boys from his class is morbidly over weight. My
    son is a very sensitive boy and has talked about this boy before and said how concerned he is about him.
    It was very sad to watch this boy struggle to get on the platform. Although I think it is important to accept all
    different shapes and sizes and to not discriminate this 10 year old boy needs help. This boy will going
    to middle school next year and I know the bullying if it has not started yet will get worse. I can only hope
    my son will be compassionate and be accepting to this boys condition until he can get help. Maybe the
    school can have a nutritional educational unit and the kids could use myfitness pal to track there calories
    for a week to show them how much they are eating or not eating.
  • xtine4ever
    xtine4ever Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't think making overweight a social norm is a good thing. Even though it's becoming more common, it is unhealthy and "not normal" from a health stand point. No matter how active or otherwise healthy an overweight person is, the extra weight puts undue stress on his/her joints which is surely harmful in the long run.

However, while I encourage society to reject obesity as a norm and strive for a healthy lifestyle, I support fat acceptance to the extent that overweight people should NOT be discriminated against or ridiculed. To me, being overweight is a physical condition, like any other (e.g. diabetes, paralysis or skin condition). Everyone has feelings and should be treated with dignity and respect.
  • LiddyBit
    LiddyBit Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    For some reason reading this brought a question to mind... where do eating disorders come from??? What would make a person try to harm themselves to the point of starvation? Why would anyone feel they NEEDED to do that?? Why do people have trouble "eating enough calories to maintain weightloss? Why are they afraid of calories or gaining a single ounce??? I don't know why this topic and these replies should make me wonder these questions... but for some reason... they do...

I feel like the fat acceptance movement has made it pretty clear that eating disordered people who are skinny are not welcome in the movement.

The questions that you ask are complicated but their answers are all over the internet, if you're really interested. Look for eating disorder communities. Not all of them are "pro-ana" and even the ones that are usually include pretty intense discussion of the above questions.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    No one should be obese, these people are fooling themselves into believing the size they are is OK. It isn't healthy. Coming from a person who's weight goes up and down (100% my fault) I know for a fact that I'm not as healthy when overweight.
    There are psychological issues involved with being overweight and they should be addressed. If you can't do it on your own seek help.
    It is a dangerous mindset and shouldn't be encouraged. When the news shows someone who is 100 plus years old are they obese? ... NEVER, that has to show something
  • ShiahC
    ShiahC Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think that only after accepting the fact that you are fat can you work towards not being fat anymore.
  • somuchsolittle
    Options
    No one should be obese, these people are fooling themselves into believing the size they are is OK. It isn't healthy. Coming from a person who's weight goes up and down (100% my fault) I know for a fact that I'm not as healthy when overweight.
    There are psychological issues involved with being overweight and they should be addressed. If you can't do it on your own seek help.
    It is a dangerous mindset and shouldn't be encouraged. When the news shows someone who is 100 plus years old are they obese? ... NEVER, that has to show something

I'm tired of people bringing up the whole "you never see fat 100 year olds" argument. The majority of people, be they obese or one of MFP's famous health nuts, are not going to live for a century. It has way more to do with genetics and environment than weight.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    I guess I can sum it up as plainly as possible.

I am seeing a lot of comments that the "Fat Acceptance" movement is simply about not discriminating against fat people.

My point originally - Why do they need a movement for that, that is just called not being an "*kitten* hat".

When you define a movement for any thing you get the extremes of both sides and it gets out of hand really quickly. Perusing through many "fat acceptance" blogs is quite a disgusting experience in terror.

People full on glorifying obesity even without any medical conditions other than their "obesity" and they are damned proud of it. That is a problem, people taking action against transit companies, restaurants and other businesses because they don't have seats large enough for them ? That is not fat acceptance in my opinion that is forcing ideology down every body else's throat that the rest of society has to bend for a classification of people that thrive on their own self made destruction.

People so freely throw the word "discrimination" around and do not really understand what it means.

A restaurant with seats that are not large enough for a 500 lb person is not ANY form of discrimination. If a Black Man could not sit there, if a Blind Man could not sit there or if a Lesbian woman could not sit there then by all means that is discrimination.

That is why the fat acceptance movement and others are trying to push obesity as a handicap so that it can be classified as discrimination.

I saw some blogs about people in the fat acceptance movement lobbying to force all clothing stores to have big and tall sections, oh and to change the name from big and tall to "full" or to completely eliminate plus sized and big and tall and just incorporate all sizes onto the rack. Does that mean stores have to accommodate and make clothing for every single body shape, does every clothing company have to make clothes for amputees/ little people ? If you classify it as discrimination then that is the trend that will occur, it would only be a matter of time before we have "fat restrooms" because that 450 lb man would be much more comfortable on a larger toilet and it is discrimination if you only have restrooms for non fat people.

Don't go on about other medical conditions either that cause obesity, I know they exist and I know that under circumstances like thyroid diseases and what not (pre obesity, many of those diseases do occur BECAUSE of obesity and many do not)

Back to my original point, I think it is just the mantra that many people in the movement are about that it is scary. That it is okay to be fat, not that they should not be discriminated against but that they should be fine with it because it is almost ....healthy.
  • KiwiKim25
    KiwiKim25 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread, one phrase just keeps popping up in my head. "You hate in others what you hate in yourself".
  • somuchsolittle
    Options
    Reading this thread, one phrase just keeps popping up in my head. "You hate in others what you hate in yourself".

Couldn't put my finger on it, but I think you got it in one.
  • Gt3ch
    Gt3ch Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Everyone, please step back and repeat after me.

Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy.

Continue repeating until you get it through your head.

Unfortunately that's a total crock. The truth is some people handle extra weight better than others... until they don't. I've met many older people who are healthy and have their wits. NONE of them were overweight for even part of their lives. I've also spent much time around units that care for people with Alzheimers and dementia. Very few of the patients were slender in their earlier adult lives.

There's a TREMENDOUS difference between being healthy and just not having a diagnosis of an acute disease at this very moment. It goes beyond risk factors. It also has to do with whether you're functioning at the lower or upper end of normal as well as whether your functioning is declining.

Now there are people, who because of biological issues, have a much harder time controlling their urges and weight. They shouldn't be demonized. But it's absolutely absurd to call them healthy because some of them are not on lots of medication or in need of medical procedures at this very moment.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

I'm tired of people bringing up the whole "you never see fat 100 year olds" argument. The majority of people, be they obese or one of MFP's famous health nuts, are not going to live for a century. It has way more to do with genetics and environment than weight.

Have you seen a 100 year old fat person? Yes or no?
  • Vailara
    Options

I think that people tend to lose weight in old age, so they wouldn't be common.
  • somuchsolittle
    Options

So.... are you kidding or did you honestly completely miss my point?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Everyone, please step back and repeat after me.

Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy. Not all fat people are unhealthy.

Continue repeating until you get it through your head.

Unfortunately that's a total crock. The truth is some people handle extra weight better than others... until they don't. I've met many older people who are healthy and have their wits. NONE of them were overweight for even part of their lives. I've also spent much time around units that care for people with Alzheimers and dementia. Very few of the patients were slender in their earlier adult lives.

There's a TREMENDOUS difference between being healthy and just not having a diagnosis of an acute disease at this very moment. It goes beyond risk factors. It also has to do with whether you're functioning at the lower or upper end of normal as well as whether your functioning is declining.

Now there are people, who because of biological issues, have a much harder time controlling their urges and weight. They shouldn't be demonized. But it's absolutely absurd to call them healthy because some of them are not on lots of medication or in need of medical procedures at this very moment.

^ Really good points.

The damage from obesity and excess body fat is long-term, not short term.
  • Drenched_N_Motivation
    Drenched_N_Motivation Posts: 1,004 Member
    Options

So.... are you kidding or did you honestly completely miss my point?

I am kidding actually. Sorry.