Women Ages 50+ for the month of AUGUST

Options

Replies

• Lianne95519
    Lianne95519 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Welcome to our new members. This is a great place for suport and clever ideas.
    :flowerforyou: Marie-how wonderful that the scale is moving for you. I know how difficult not being able to work out can be but you stuck with it and got great results.

That is where I am right now. :grumble: I haven't seen any results on the scale for over a week but I am just sticking to it. I can finally exercise with some limitations as I recover from knee surgery so I rewarded myself with this cool Omron pedometer that a friend recommended. ( I love gagets) So now I am having fun trying to get more steps each day. This will also download history on my laptop so I can track and compare progress. I love that too. So this will help keep me focused and entertained until the next pound.....

Meanwhile I'll just drink lots of water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Happy Sunday
    Lianne
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Hi all,
    Hope you're all having a great Sunday. The clouds have gone and the sun has returned. It actually got a little warm for me while outside.

Barb and I "met" today at the Oregon State Fair. She drove down and met a friend to wander the fair with and since my hubby was there at the Authors Table Barb and I set up a meeting. I have posted a picture on my profile if you want to see the two of us together:-) It would be fun to meet all of you. Putting faces and personalities to names.

Have a great evening.

Esther
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Esther & Barb-
    What fun to actually get to meet! Good for you two!
    :flowerforyou:

:heart:
    Birdie - Scuba diving is the most fun in the world! We were so lucky to get to spend a month in Hawaii this summer with our grown kids & we were in the water 22 days out of 29! It was amazing. We went snorkeling & boating & surfing (I even stood up on a surfboard!) & kayaking. It was the trip of a lifetime.
    :heart:
    I'm hoping the coming week is good for us all - some seem to have had a rough time of it.
    :drinker:
    drink that water!
    :drinker:
    log that snack!
    :bigsmile:
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Oh darn Georg! You mean we need to log our snacks too? :laugh: :laugh: Just kidding.

Have a great evening everyone.

Esther
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,995 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    I really miss Anne who used to remind us, "If you bite it, you write it"
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Where is Anne? Does anyone know?
    Esther
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

Just couldn't crash tonight without telling everyone how wonderful it was to MEET Esther, AKA "Grammymax", and her husband, Bill.:happy:

As she mentioned, I drove down to the Oregon State Fair today and met both of them while Bill was working at a table with other local authors--all with their published works for sale.

The children's book that Bill came up with is short and to the point, an excellent introduction for a child from 4 - 8 years of age to understand the story of Jesus and same basic lessons in doing right. The illustrations are outstanding, and they are a family affair--done by Krystal, Esther and Bills daughter in law.

After I finished talking to them and we took the pictures, my friend and I wandered the fair and eventually managed to find a reasonably healthy item for our dinner. It was a chicken wrap--about 5 oz of white meat chicken combined with tomatoes, lettuce and rice and a little peanut sauce,combined in a tortilla. Not bad at all.

It is late, so I'm outta here :yawn:

Barb
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone:flowerforyou: Wow it was wonderful to read that Barb and Esther got to meet. I don't think there is anyone of MFP family in the area. :smile: I am trying to get more people to join. Have succeded in getting one co-worker to join but she lives an hour away. Well today was weigh in. 2 lbs. WOOOO HOOOO:noway: I really worked hard for that 2 lbs. I have another famly reunion coming up in September and I am already planning what food to take with me.:wink: Their menu is Ham, Corn Bread, Green Beans, multiple casseroles and tons of desserts.:noway: I am taking a huge salad full of veggies and a Watermelon. My daughter Malisa, who is pregnant and Diabetic is taking a fruit tray. :wink: So hopefully I WILL have willpower and stick to salad and fruit. Time to get to work:ohwell: Everyone have a wonderful Monday and remember to drink:drinker: drink:drinker: drink:drinker: that water. Rosemary
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    congrats rosemary. 2 poungs is GREAT. Keep up the good work. Planning ahead really works. I have been lax on that lately and it shows. I am so glad Barb and Grammy max got to meet. I would love to meet all of you. Barb it was so good to finally see a picture of you. Helps me to put you with your name.
    I email Anne usually once a week. She says she is fine, but I tell her each week that I really miss her blogs. She has some stuff going off I think. Hope you all have a great Monday. Let's all start this week with a bang. A great week for all.
    My goals this week are to eat right, do all of my workouts plus extra and lose a few pounds before hubby gets home in about 10 days.
    I can do it and you can too.
    Vicki M
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Wow - it's August 31st already!!!! I'll post a new thread for September late tonight.

Yesterday after I was well behaved while at the fair (I had 3 bites of my hubby's sundae rather than having a whole one of my own :happy: ) I took another nose dive! I made Salsa on Saturday and I bought a small bag of Baked Chips to eat with them yesterday (supposed to be 2.5 servings but I ate the WHOLE bag:angry: ). Then there were some awesome oatmeal raisin cookies that jumped into my cart and into my mouth as well! :grumble: At least I didn't buy a whole bag - I just bought a package of two out of the bakery. Today is a new day and I plan on moving on and not looking back. There are no chips or cookies in the house now :laugh:

Have a great day today ladies. Focus, Focus, Focus!

Esther
  • Benson
    Benson Posts: 444
    Options
    Morning all

The sun is shining here in the north. It really makes a difference in my outlook on life when I can see blue sky:happy: Last day of summer for my kidlets. They are both ready to go back so that makes a big difference in that we will not have to fight and 'reason' with them.

I am not pleased with my behaviour - as I would say to my kids "this behaviur is simply not acceptable":laugh: I am however, pleased with my willingness to start over for the umpteenth time. I have piled on some weight but know I can take it back off. September is the new August?????

Today I WILL

eat healthy - so far so good:happy:
    drink water - 4 down:drinker: four to go
    do my WATP dvd for at least two miles

Welcome to the new members

Heather
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I tried to post here last night but my computer was acting up. At first, it would post twice and then it wouldn't at all.

I think it wonderful that Barb and Esther got to meet. No one lives in Ohio, do they?

:flowerforyou: Esther, when it comes to stopping with only one or two bites of something bad...just forget it. Once I get a taste of something I HAVE to eat it all. That is why I try my best to keep junk food out of the house. Easier said then done with two teenaged girls and a husband who does most of the grocery shopping.
  • Grammymax
    Options
    Heather: Welcome back to the thread. TODAY is a NEW DAY and a NEW BEGINNING! WE CAN DO THIS!

Becky: I know - I think that was my problem though. Giving into that first bite led to more cravings. Today I will do better!:smile:

Esther
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I managed to roll out of bed and work this morning, despite my late "night night" time on Sunday. I had put additional things in my last post, but I hit the wrong button and faster than you can say "calories do count" the additional typing was outta here, and I didn't feel up to taking time to retype it. Yeah I know, I AM the one who told everyone to post in a word processing window and copy over, but sometimes I am lazy.:laugh:

One of the things that Esther mentioned when we met on Sunday was that it is too bad we can't get together with Barbiecat. Well I have an idea for making that happen. The area around Olympia, or maybe a little south would be about 1/2 way between, so Barbiecat, this is just a suggestion. Why don't we find a nice park that allows canine visitors) with an RV hookup, and you and Jake can come down in the motorhome, and we can have a nice healthy MFP potluck, as well as a "barkfest" because in addition to my two little pests, and Barbie's "girls," Esther and Bill have a dog.

This is just an idea. That doesn't mean it works for everyone else.

Yesterday at the fair, I remembered what Barbiecat wrote about all the overweight people she saw scarfing down, burges, fries, etc. Well I sure saw a lot of "unthin" people with giant plates of curly fries, and there was some.thing they called a "Flowering Onion" --similar to the "Bloomin Onon" from Outback Steakhouse, <and that little treasure has 2210 calories, and 134 grams of fat, according to the MFP database/ YIKES!! I actually saw people eating on one of those BY THEMSELVES. :noway: Talk about a walking heart attack:cry:

The other thing that blew me away was the PRICES. Would you believe $3.50/EACH for corn on the cob? Made it very easy to say "not today." A 12 oz glass of microbrewed beer was $5.50, so my friend and I split one.

I am trying to recruit the friend I was with yesterday onto our website, and today, my good friend Thomy asked me to email her the address of MFP. I think she is getting tired of hearing me tell her how much I have lost and has decided to try the MFP way.

Well, that is all for now. I did manage to end up with 3 pounds lost this last week, so that was good!:drinker: :drinker:

So long til later.

Barb
  • msh0530
    msh0530 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Just a quick post - I weighed in this morning, and I'm down one pound. I just got back from my first physical therapy appointment, and although it wasn't a miracle cure (darn!) I am hopeful that it will eventually help. I so much want to walk and exercise again.
    Everybody hang in there, have a great week, and remember, September is a clean slate to start on!

Here's to smart choices!
  • healthier4me
    healthier4me Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone:flowerforyou:

Glad to hear that everyone is doing well and looking forward to the month of September:smile: .

Today I went for a massage, vehicle appointment and endless loads of laundry and preparation done for our trip. I also snuck in a bike ride tonite and it was wonderful:bigsmile: Gotta keep that scale moving:laugh:

I will have to give some thought to what goals I would like to set for the new month. Maybe reflect on the past months and see where I can improve.

Thanks Lianne for your support...it sure means a lot to me especially since I know you have had struggles of your own with your knees. Strength, determination and motivation truly is the key isn't it?

How fantastic some members got to meet:happy: Sure is a small world isn't it?

Hope everyone has a great nite and remember to do something nice for yourself....you all deserve it:flowerforyou:

Marie:heart:
  • vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Mary,
    Good luck on the pound.
    Barb, great on the 3 pounds. I need another 3 pound week soon.
    I know what you mean by the large people and what they are eating. Even though I am overweight I have never been one of those that eats really really large portions, even though I know I overate to get this way. But now I just find myself noticing what large people are eating. mY hubby and I went to Ouback tonight. I almost always get the chicken on baribie with veggies and sometimes salad. Hubby gets salad. It is a good meal but very healthy and low cal. Tonight there happened to be a couple next to us both very large and when they ordered I found myself listening in to their order. I order salad w/o croutons, dressing, cheese. They ordered with extra croutons, dressing baked potatoe with cheese, sour cream butter. I felt like weight loss snob but it just always gets my attention. I am glad I am not the only one. Hubby was supposed to leave today for offshore but got a half hour out and helicopter had problems so had to return. He leaves early in morn. 3 little ones go to Mother's day out starting tomorrow on tues/thur so I will spend several hours at gym each day they are there. That should get that ticker moving. I have been long winded enough. Have a good night.
    Vicki M
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Mary,
    Good luck on the pound.
    Barb, great on the 3 pounds. I need another 3 pound week soon.
    I know what you mean by the large people and what they are eating. Even though I am overweight I have never been one of those that eats really really large portions, even though I know I overate to get this way. But now I just find myself noticing what large people are eating. mY hubby and I went to Ouback tonight. I almost always get the chicken on baribie with veggies and sometimes salad. Hubby gets salad. It is a good meal but very healthy and low cal. Tonight there happened to be a couple next to us both very large and when they ordered I found myself listening in to their order. I order salad w/o croutons, dressing, cheese. They ordered with extra croutons, dressing baked potatoe with cheese, sour cream butter. I felt like weight loss snob but it just always gets my attention. I am glad I am not the only one.
    Vicki M
    :bigsmile:
    I have started noticing people in restaurants, too. It seems that there are lots of very large folks eating out. They probably think the same thing about me. :blushing:
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I managed to roll out of bed and work this morning, despite my late "night night" time on Sunday. I had put additional things in my last post, but I hit the wrong button and faster than you can say "calories do count" the additional typing was outta here, and I didn't feel up to taking time to retype it. Yeah I know, I AM the one who told everyone to post in a word processing window and copy over, but sometimes I am lazy.:laugh:

One of the things that Esther mentioned when we met on Sunday was that it is too bad we can't get together with Barbiecat. Well I have an idea for making that happen. The area around Olympia, or maybe a little south would be about 1/2 way between, so Barbiecat, this is just a suggestion. Why don't we find a nice park that allows canine visitors) with an RV hookup, and you and Jake can come down in the motorhome, and we can have a nice healthy MFP potluck, as well as a "barkfest" because in addition to my two little pests, and Barbie's "girls," Esther and Bill have a dog.

This is just an idea. That doesn't mean it works for everyone else.

Yesterday at the fair, I remembered what Barbiecat wrote about all the overweight people she saw scarfing down, burges, fries, etc. Well I sure saw a lot of "unthin" people with giant plates of curly fries, and there was some.thing they called a "Flowering Onion" --similar to the "Bloomin Onon" from Outback Steakhouse, <and that little treasure has 2210 calories, and 134 grams of fat, according to the MFP database/ YIKES!! I actually saw people eating on one of those BY THEMSELVES. :noway: Talk about a walking heart attack:cry:

The other thing that blew me away was the PRICES. Would you believe $3.50/EACH for corn on the cob? Made it very easy to say "not today." A 12 oz glass of microbrewed beer was $5.50, so my friend and I split one.

I am trying to recruit the friend I was with yesterday onto our website, and today, my good friend Thomy asked me to email her the address of MFP. I think she is getting tired of hearing me tell her how much I have lost and has decided to try the MFP way.

Well, that is all for now. I did manage to end up with 3 pounds lost this last week, so that was good!:drinker: :drinker:

So long til later.

Barb
  • jam0525
    jam0525 Posts: 1,681 Member
    Options
    Barb-

I had to laugh about your comments on trying to recruit people to this sight. (I sitll haven't figured out how to quote yet.) I'm going through the same thing at work.

Three of us at work are using websites to track calories. I'm here and the other two are on Sparks. They haven't lost any weight yet, but they keep telling me how much better their site is and how easy it is to use. But every other months they have lost track of things and are starting over.

I just smile and keep telling them to try this site. :laugh: