Women Ages 50+ for the month of AUGUST

Options
1111213141517»

Replies

• babysteps
    Options
    I agree with you ~ I have tried SparksPeople but found it too busy. This site is so clean and organized and I love it already (just joined today). Hope you don't mind if I join this group.

Take care,
    Deborah
    :flowerforyou:
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I love this site. I tried it a few months ago and faded off. For some reason I am hooked this time. You guys are wonderful to help.

And so I need some help. Going away this weekend for Sat coming home Sun. A party is Sat night.

I will be eating at homes, restaurants, and whereever. I need a concrete plan or I will cheat.

I am eating frozen meals and salad and veggies. But when all this food is around, well, I need a plan. Any suggestions? kc
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,969 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I don’t even know where to start commenting on how well everyone is doing. I tried Spark People for a month with a very open mind and found it much too busy and hard to navigate. I’m sure it Is great for a lot of people but not for me.

:flowerforyou: Lianne, I am so excited that you can exercise and get out with your dogs. I know you’re going to love your new pedometer. My husband has one like that. We just came back from a 50 minute walk because he said that he didn’t have enough steps today. :laugh: :laugh: I’m sure the next pound or two will surprise you before long.

:flowerforyou: Debbie, I miss you, too. I’m looking forward to your computer being fixed so we can have your loving messages every day.

:flowerforyou: Esther, thanks for posting the picture of you and Barb. Now I know what she looks like (wonderful and happy). I’m glad you two had a good meeting.

:flowerforyou: Barb, you look great in your picture. How amazing that you could find something halfway sane to eat at the fair. Congratulations on the three pounds shed.:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

:flowerforyou: Rosemary, don’t think of will power as much as being kind to yourself. Just keep thinking that all that stuff “isn’t your food” and ignore it. Think about the two pounds you lost and never want to see again. And drink,:drinker: drink, :drinker: drink your water

:flowerforyou: Vicki, I’m glad you’re back on track again. You know all the right stuff to do and I know you can do it. I know what you mean about being a “weight loss snob”. It helps me stay on my plan when I feel a little superior to the people “pigging out” around me. I have the same feeling at the dog park when I’m walking and everyone else is sitting on a bench telling their dogs to run and play.

:flowerforyou: Heather, I know you can make September a better month for you.

:flowerforyou: Becky, keep on keeping on. You have a huge challenge with your family, but you can succeed.

:flowerforyou: Mary, I’m happy to hear about you losing another pound even with physical limitations. Do that physical therapy and things will get even better.

:flowerforyou: Marie, you continue to amaze me with how much you are able to accomplish.

:flowerforyou: Georg, it isn’t just that people are eating in restaurants, it’s what they’re eating. It’s possible to eat smart in a restaurant, but most people don’t.

:flowerforyou: Deborah, welcome to the thread. We’re glad to have you with us.

:flowerforyou: Kc----When I eat in restaurants I ask a lot of questions (what does it come with? Does it have cheese, croutons, sauce, etc?) and make a lot of requests (no sauce, no cheese, no butter, grilled, dressing on the side) so I can get exactly what I want. I’ve been known to eat before going to a party and then eat nothing at all at the party. Good luck to you in finding your own bag of tricks to help you through this minefield of food.

I'm looking forward to the new thread tomorrow when we report on how we did on our August goals and share our new goals for September.
    hugs:heart::heart: :heart:
    Barbie
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    Water is always my first answer!
    :drinker:
    Drink lots.
    It will keep you from drinking something you shouldn't, it will fill you up, it will flush through any extra sodium that seems to go with those party foods!
    And if you're holding a glass of water, it's harder to juggle a very full plate or very many snacky foods.
    Have a great time.
  • Grammymax
    Grammymax Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Okay my friends. I have posted the thread for the month of September. Here is the link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/64810-women-ages-50-for-september.

See you there,
    Esther
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Barb-

I had to laugh about your comments on trying to recruit people to this sight. (I sitll haven't figured out how to quote yet.) I'm going through the same thing at work.

Three of us at work are using websites to track calories. I'm here and the other two are on Sparks. They haven't lost any weight yet, but they keep telling me how much better their site is and how easy it is to use. But every other months they have lost track of things and are starting over.

I just smile and keep telling them to try this site. :laugh:

Jam...

The secret to "quoting" is to click the quote button at the bottom of the post you plan to quote. Once you do that it will appear in a window much like the window you post in, but you will see the word "quote" with some brackets at the top of the quote, and the same thing at the bottom, but the ending "quote has a "/" included in it.

All you do after clicking the quote into the window, is place your cursor BELOW the bottom quote entry and start typing. Everything that is part of quote will appear in a blue highlight box in the post and your additional comments will appear below, as in this post.

Good luck:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Happy quoting!!:bigsmile:

Barb
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I love this site. I tried it a few months ago and faded off. For some reason I am hooked this time. You guys are wonderful to help.

And so I need some help. Going away this weekend for Sat coming home Sun. A party is Sat night.

I will be eating at homes, restaurants, and whereever. I need a concrete plan or I will cheat.

I am eating frozen meals and salad and veggies. But when all this food is around, well, I need a plan. Any suggestions? kc

Well, sewing your lips shut for the weekend :noway: will probably be uncomfortable, and provoke too many questions, :laugh: :laugh: So here is something that might actually work. Scope out the food that is available BEFORE you start eating. Figure out what your healthiest options are, and then how much you can allow yourself to have, and eat accordingly.

If there is some sweet treat you absolutely can't resist, promise yourself you can have "some" but not a giant serving. If you are someone who can't stop once you start with sweets, ignore my last suggestion. I know what works for me isn't necessarily right for everyone.

Barb
  • weaklink109
    Options
    Okay my friends. I have posted the thread for the month of September. Here is the link http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/64810-women-ages-50-for-september.

See you there,
    Esther

Since I added two posts after the new thread was posted, I am quoting this so it is the last entry for the month of August to make it easier for others to find our September thread.

See you in September!! (Remember that song?)

Barb
  • LaurelFisher
    LaurelFisher Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    :sick: :noway: Help I'm lost and can't be found.........:laugh: When I click on the new thread it says "ooops link is broken" Someone come find me and lead me home:laugh: :blushing:
  • BirdieM
    BirdieM Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    :sick: :noway: Help I'm lost and can't be found.........:laugh: When I click on the new thread it says "ooops link is broken" Someone come find me and lead me home:laugh: :blushing:

I had the same problem so I went to the Message Boards...looked under Motivation and Support....and then looked for the thread for Sept there. I hope that helps!:flowerforyou:

If not, try this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/64810-women-ages-50-for-september
    Good luck!
    BirdieM
  • AHealthierSuzyQ
    Options
    I didn't quite make my goal. This month I lost 4 pounds and 2" in my belly. I DID meet my exercise and water consumption goals.