so where'd you get that gnarly scar?

Options

Replies

• kaybeau
    kaybeau Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have a tiny white line on my thigh from a jelly fish sting!
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    I have a scar about 3 inches long across my right knee cap which I got from jumping into a sofa!

I was 10 I think and playing at my mates house and jumped knees first onto the sofa, we think there was a nail sticking out from the wooden frame which ripped it open to the bone. I didn't know I'd done it until I looked down and saw blood and my kneecap! :laugh:
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I don't remember this but I also don't remember a day that I didn't have my scar. I was two and from what my mom has told me, I was playing on the coffee table and I fell off one of my teeth went straight throw the middle of my lower lip. I have a scar in the inside of my bottom lip that I constantly feel and then on my chin where there is the bend of the lip and chin meet.
  • amyj101
    amyj101 Posts: 15
    Options
    I work with young people with autism and one of them bit me a couple of years ago, took a chunk out of the back of my hand so I have a dent and a scar there.
  • alliwithaneye
    alliwithaneye Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I will start from youngest..
    1- 4 spots on my right thigh that look like a face from shingles when I was 2, I apparently wouldn't leave them alone.

2-Left foot about 1 1/2 inches long... had a benign tumor removed when I was 9-ish.

3- Lower abdomen bikini line... had kidney surgery at 15 to correct reflux.... it's about 4 inches and then have 2 mini scars near by where drainage tubes were.

4- Knees both legs from many MANY falls on my skateboard at 16.

5- Above my belly button, under my boobs and on my right side from having my gallbladder removed in 07'

6- My right upper arm has a scar from a bad burn when I went to take the cookies out of the oven... don't even ask how it hit my upper arm. My husband still hasn't let me live this one down.

7- Upper right arm again from having a cyst removed under my skin.

8- Hand... again cookie pan incident. I almost dropped it and first reaction was NO CATCH IT WITHOUT A OVEN MITT save the cookies! So almost a min later I noticed oh crap thats hot! I'm no longer allowed to make cookies.

9- C-section scar lower abdomen above my kidney scar from having my beautiful daughter in 2011. So now my whole lower abdomen is completely numb, yay! Also a pretty good amount of stretchmarks from that last month ;)

10- Right next to my scar on the left foot is an inch scar from my kitty cat, she got rambunctious and attacked my foot as I walked by and when I went to pull my foot away her claw was still stuck in it-.-

Ummm I think that's about it... I am accident prone >_<
  • Amryfal
    Amryfal Posts: 225
    Options
    i have one on the ball of my foot. i was spinning around in my mother's sewing chair, hit a needle stuck in the carpet, and it broke off inside my foot. mini-surgery and 12 stitches. it totally ruined summer camp for me that year.

my youngest son has a scar running down through his eyebrow...from a rabbit. i was holding the cat, my now-ex-bf was holding the rabbit, and we got too close together and both critters freaked out. the rabbit jumped (and the ex was an idiot and didn't know how to hold on) and flew across the room, and caught my son's eyebrow with an outstretched foot as it came down. rabbit was fine, child was also fine - it wasn't even a deep cut, it barely bled - but you can still see the line through his eyebrow.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I love scars and the stories behind them, and people who are comfortable with their scars.

My favorite scar looks like a swimming manta ray, and is at the base of the fleshy bottom part of my thumb. I was 8 years old, at my grandmothers and my Uncle Steven was cutting down some brush and small trees in back of the house my grandmother had just bought... I asked if i could help and he said sure and cut through most of the trunk of maybe a 9 foot young tree, and told me to come push it down. I thought it would be really hard to push down so i pushed as hard as i could. Unfortunately it barely needed any force to tip over, si i fell down. Which would have been fine, except that the house's previous owner had dumped some trash in the backyard, including broken bottles, which were hidden under wet fall leaves. I put my hands out to catch myself and my wrist and thumb landed on a broken bottle.

I was cut in two places, my wrist and the middle of my thumb. It bled a lot, i still remember my uncle holding a towel to it, the blood seeping through it, trying myself to hold another towel to the other cut on my thumb, and my uncle yelling at me that i wasnt holding the towel tight enough. Went to the hospital where they picked dirt and dead leaves out of it for an hour, which was about as fun as it sounds :p

Still, i like my manta ray scar :) i'll try to post a pic up tomorrow.
  • katymcd81
    katymcd81 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    A big round one on my stomach that isn't from a cut but is 'burnt out' scleroderma and looks like a huge bruise. I have a few more of those on my stomach and back but none nearly as big as the large one on my stomach. It's about 10cm across.

An ellipse shaped one on my upper arm where I had a mole removed and the incision didn't knit together, so instead of a linear scar I have a scar in the actual shape of the piece of skin that was removed :grumble:

One on my left thumb from stabbing myself with a kitchen knife while cutting a pizza (I didn't have a pizza wheel at the time, bought one soon after!).

One on my right thumb and one on my right middle finger from chunking my hand against a microtome blade. They were down to the bone and bled EVERYWHERE, but healed nice and neat with only steristrips, I refused to go to A&E for that. I still get tingling in my middle finger and it's very sensitive, even 5 years on from doing it. Even thinking about that makes me shudder.
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I guess my best scar would have to be the one I survived. I was shot in the head. The bullet, thank God, bounced off the sun roof of my car first and only grazed my forehead. It was about a half in inch or so deep. The scar is very different looking and shaped kind of odd and one day I will have the plastic surgeon get rid of it or something. It still hurts after all these years, (20 years ago in September, the16th. Yes I still remember the date and exactly what I was doing, where I was going and what I was wearing when it happened). I get a lot of attention from it now though because its on my forehead and sometimes the pain is so bad and brings me back to the night it happened and I cringed and make weird faces lol, so now everyone of my friends compare me to Harry Potter. It made getting over the past a lot easier when there was something to laugh and joke about. It wasn't a laughing matter when it happened but now I dgaf about it and have moved on.
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I've got one on my forehead where I fell down a hill at the age of 3.
    I've got a small one on my hand from when I somehow managed to break a bowl whilst holding it at the age of 4.
    But my favourite
    galaxyphotos127.jpg though it's faded quite a bit now, was from my first ever night at Glastonbury Festival last year, drunk, stoned and falling over in the mud a few too many times, can't remember the full details, but woke up at home the next morning, unable to walk on it and having to head to A&E, operated on a fortnight later!
    Glastonbury was watched from the sofa, and I shall never attempt to go to a festival again without a responsible adult!:laugh:
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Until a year ago, my best scar was the silver dollar sized one on my right knee --- I fell onto a concrete slab as a little kid (the family was playing putt-putt), but it was vacation and my Dad just slapped a bandage on it and let me go. For like a week. In the ocean, playing in the sand, running around --- by the time any of the grown ups remembered it, the bottom 2 layers of the bandage had "healed" under the scab, so my scar has an interesting cross-hatch pattern!

The one no one can see, but I "play with" every day is the one inside my upper lip... when they tell you not to roller skate in a line, listen to them! The first girl fell and we all went down. I managed to only hit my chin, but the guy behind me drove my face back down onto the floor and busted my lip wide open and loosened my 6 front teeth. Had to have braces for the second half of my senior year of high school. The only scar is the one inside my lip where I should have had stitches, but didn't.

Broke my collarbone last year - but busted the yowza out of both knees and my right foot, too. Scars everywhere! Including the one from the surgery to fix my clavicle.
  • nalfavi
    nalfavi Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have one on my left cleavage that's just round. I call it my third nipple, but it's from ****ty angsty unmedicated mentally unstable teen years and i did it to myself with scissors. While I'm not proud of it, it reminds me how far I've come and changed.

One on my eye from a brow piercing that fell out. I had that whole 'shaved brow line' thing going before it was cool!! HIPSTER YEAH. Not really.

Hmm. Arm. Cuts. Razors. Stupid teenager stuff again.

I apparently was a self mutilating angst ball.

I have one on my left middle finger pad from where my old dog bit me accidentally. I went to get the ball from his mouth right as he was biting down on it, so was my fault. He wasn't aggressive at all, as I said, accident. Bled like a mofo though.

I have one on my right ring finger pad form where my current dog bit my quite intentionally. She was a grumpy untrusting sourpuss when she was a baby. Whoever had her before us abused her, the *kitten*. I was trying to clean the eyegook from her eyes (which I had done before without a problem) but she didn't like it this time, and I didn't stop after the first growl, so in the end I deserved it. We've come a far way though, and we understand each other. Plus she's much, MUCH more trusting now.

Other than that, just the typical hand and arm burns from baking and touching the over or hot stove in the process.
  • jonwv
    jonwv Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    i have one scar on the back of my calf muscle...when i was younger my dad was bringing a tiller into the outbuilding and wasn't watching where he was going...all of a sudden I screamed. While moving the tiller one of the blades stabbed my calf..probably should have had stitches but never went to the doctor.

have two scars on my right arm from boiling hot grease....cooking corn-dogs and the grease overheated and caught fire. As i went to turn the eye of the stove down my younger brother grabbed a fire extinguisher and started to spray..needless to say the boiling grease went all over me, lucky most went on my shirt but all that didnt went on my arm i looked a mess afterwards...one bit even hit my eyelid..still have that scar also...just put neosporin on it and went on.
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    I have a big scar right under my mouth.

I fell with a mountain bike and smashed my face on a rock and my teeth went straight through right underneath my lips (I basically pierced myself).

The doctor had to actually pull at my lips a bit to get the teeth out of there and then glue and tape the wound shut. It wasn't pleasant.

Was also nice when they wanted to take x-rays of my neck right after and I had to open my mouth "as wide as I could", so my jaw wasn't in the way of the bones in my neck, or something.

Other than that I don't have any scars. When I have an accident, I usually break a couple of bones rather than end up bleeding.
    I have broken more bones than I can count.
  • sparklelioness
    sparklelioness Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    37571_419310718195_506873195_5079064_2924490_n-1.jpg
    oh to be young and stupid. this is like 2 weeks after we burned it (alcohol may have been involved haha) now they just look like one shade lighter then skin tone. when we hold hands the two curved sides go together and make a heart. probably getting it tatted over soonish to a real heart.

Been there, done that. ( also, i think its really a bit rude to post someones pic and say just wtf. People are being honest about sensitive things here. A little compassion and understanding goes a long way.). I was 20 and my bf and his buddy at the time and i were all really, really drunk and effed up. They both burnt eachother with lit cigarettes on the inner arm, and because i thought i was a tough chick, i said 'i can do that too', so my bf held a lit cigarette to my arm for probably 15 second. I have a round scar about the size of a penny from it, but i got a tattoo later that mostly covers it-if i dont point it out, you cant see it now. And no, I'm no longer with him :)
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of scars...unfortunately none contain and interesting story.

I have two on my right leg........one from just less than mid thigh to mid shin area......it had 63 staples in it ..and one on the right side of the same thigh about 5 inches long.....both of those are from an ACL repair gone wrong. The same scar down the front of that leg from just less than mid thigh to mid shin was tore open again when they replaced the knee a year / 18 months later.

I have an interesting scar on my right shoulder from the top of the shoulder down the front side almost to the arm pit. At about mid point in the scar...to touch it is to touch the bone underneath...there isnt much between the top layer of skin and the bone itself. I had 3 surgeries on it, the 2nd one involved the flesh eating bacteria that was prevalent in the mid 90s. Now.how that came to be is kinda different. The day after Thanksgiving that year, me, my youngest daughter and my oldest foster girl were going shopping. I had shot gun, the youngest was in the back seat, oldest driving her Beretta. We were just leaving town on a sorta rural road when the oldest looks at me and yells "OMG Mom...."...as I turn to see what she's yelling about I see MY passenger window go dark, all I had time for was to yell as my youngest to duck....she hit the floor as a big deer, a doe, comes crashing thru MY window. The deer hit me in the shoulder, According to the ER doctor I had her teeth marks in the top of my head, shattered glass embedded in my right arm, a broken shoulder, the collar bone was broke, the acrmion was shredded as was the rotator cuff. It took 2 surgeries to fix this. As the 2nd surgery was almost healed, they noticed a teeny tiny little white zit at the base of the incision. EEEEEEEEEEEEEK in steps the single nastiest infection Id ever experienced. Weeks of IV Antibiotic and physical therapy.

Anyway...thats my gnarly scar stor
  • Flame073
    Flame073 Posts: 62
    Options
    I have two C section scars ... Which are bearly visible and never concern me .. It just my babies had to enter the work that way :)

I also have a very large scar around my. Back and hips .. I am waiting for a few more years to fully heal. I am hoping I can tattoo over them !
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I have a scar about 5 inches long at the back of my thigh.

The spring in my mattress gave way and ripped my leg open.
  • PattieCakes23
    Options
    I have one on my left knee from when I was little and decided to try and ride my friends "big girl" bike. I fell off, causing a little scar on my knee.

I also have a scar from a jellyfish sting on my right knee. It wrapped around my knee. Hurt like crazy.

And, last one is a scar from chicken pox on my forehead. It's become a kinda signature thing. lol
  • dodihere
    dodihere Posts: 490
    Options
    I fell during an ice storm wearing tight boots. My ankle broke off of my main leg bone and snapped into the outside leg bone and butterfly broke it in three differend places. A plate and 7 screws later its fixed - a four inch scar on the inside of my leg and about an 8 inch scar on the outside and sometimes you can see the little staple holes. 3 surgeries. After the second surgery and I had to wait almost 2 week before the doctor came back from vacation I took a pair of wire cutters and cut out the staples because they were driving me crazy itching and skin growing over them. Oh yeah - I tell everyone that asks it was a sky diving accident.

Weight related, my husband has the usual open heart surgery chest scar and a scar going down the inside of his left arm where they grafted veins from. By far the scariest experience I have been through beats both my childbirths and 3 leg surgeries.