so where'd you get that gnarly scar?

Options
10acity
10acity Posts: 798 Member
I'm painfully bored at work so I thought I'd amuse myself by asking one of my favourite questions:

What's your best scar and how did you get it? I haven't had any major surgeries or broken bones, but..

I have a pretty terriffic one on my left thigh, 3-4" long, from sliding down one of the stabilizing poles of a swingset when I was a kid, angering an exposed rusty screw.
There's also a little round chicken pox scar on my right eyelid that's not that noticeable (but I sort of like it).
I also have a small one on my left hand near my wrist, like two very straight teeth. Because my best childhood friend used to bite. A lot. (I've gotten better at choosing friends since then.)

Please entertain me.

Replies

• missoularocks
    missoularocks Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    good one! I have a good 6 incher on my lower left leg shaped like a backwards Nike check.
    When I was putting stuff in a storage unit, I was standing on a crappy wooden bookcase. I was on the top when it (and I) caved in. I got caught on a wood screw, which ripped open a flap of skin on my leg. It was gross and I could hardly look at it.
    I think I got 30-something stiches from this bad boy! And a reminder NOT to stand on things that can't hold the weight of a person! ;)
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options
    I have a huge burn scar on my calf from standing to closely to a just turned off motorcycle pipe. Oh that was lovely.
  • migoi357
    migoi357 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A large C shaped one on the right side of my head just above my ear....removal of a benign brain tumor.
  • rammsteinsoldier
    rammsteinsoldier Posts: 1,556 Member
    Options
    I have a huge scar with 30 some staples holes all along it on my left knee from having a knee rebuilt. I tore it loose running lines in tennis. The outside of my knee is completely numb because the nerves were so badly damaged they never grew back.
  • meghan1789
    meghan1789 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I have a pretty big scar on my face, on my lower right cheek, from when I was two years old. I was run over by a golf cart and a large hanging piece of metal sliced through my face, through basically all but one layer. Knocked out my front tooth and gave me a decent scar on my forearm at the same time.

At the time (20 years ago) they did the best they could with the technology they had, and over time, it's definitely faded. I live with it, so to be honest, I don't notice it and most people don't notice it right away either. Especially if they catch me in a good mood, because the scar just blends in and gets lost when I smile.

If I wanted to I could get it fixed, but to me it's not really worth the effort. People ask me what if my future husband wanted me to fix it and all I can respond is "I would never want to be with someone who cared so much about something that superficial"
  • misanthropist319
    Options
    I have a scar in the middle of my left eyebrow that does not allow any hair to grow, creating an empty spot in my eyebrow. People always tell me I could use a make-up pencil and fill it in, but I like it.

I got it when I was 6-7 years old. My little cousin and I were going outside to play. He walked out in front of me and I followed behind, HOWEVER, he let go of the door and I didn't notice. So, the inside latch whacked me in the face and bled like crazy. Never got stitches. I was being babysat by one of my aunts at the time and I convinced her to just take me to my neighbors as opposed to the hospital.

I have tons of other scars, but this one is the most obvious and has the best story.

Thanks for starting the topic; I often get bored at work!
  • CallieM15
    CallieM15 Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    I walked into a door and got 5 stiches on my forhead... Thats about it LOL
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,024 Member
    Options
    1) On my left leg when I was like 5 or 6, I took my dad's razor and decided to shave my legs, not knowing you're only supposed to graze the surface... I "shaved" off a giant chunk of skin.

2) On my left index finger, I was working midnights at a grocery store. I had just changed my blade on my cutter when I went to cut the top of a case off. I slipped and sliced my finger open. It looked like an open hot dog bun. Gross. Also in the same scenario and finger no less, I cut the side of said finger but not as long as the first.

3) On my stomach, there are 3 large dots and a large slit in the belly button from when I had my gall bladder taken out.
  • MUByM
    MUByM Posts: 208
    Options
    I have one on my abdomen. It starts at my belly button and goes up about 6 inches. I had a cyst removed from my ovary when I was 6 months pregnant and they put staples on there. Man was it painful! I also have a giant c-section scar.
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Haha Love this topic!!

My best ones are on my right ankle: inside around the ankle bone, a 3 1/2" crescent, and on the outside from ankle bone up about 4" - broke my leg in 3 places falling off of 4 1/2" platform heels when they were in style in the 70s (I was 14).... I avoid this fashion trend this time around LOL!

I have a scar on my chin from falling out of bed onto a linoleum floor when I was a kid, that was 8-10 stitches...

2 small scars on my left hand from childhood, was carrying a cup of coffee to my Dad in his workshop and missed the last step, fell on the broken coffee cup...

And a small crescent shaped one on my left thumb, when I was potty training my daughter I slipped in some pee on the tile floor and crashed into the doorway, peeled a flap of skin back to the bone.... Dang that hurt but I have always wished I had video of that slip slide & crash!!
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    My major one is on my back, and is a deep brown, but that didn't come from a good situation.

I have lots of tiny ones on my hand that I don't remember getting, and have had since I was very young.

I also have one close to the top of my left-hand middle finger. I was polishing a photo frame, and just gently tapped my hand against the glass when I removed it - the glass was so sharp that a gentle tap cut straight to the bone.

My only other notable one is close to my left eye. I was five years old and at school, and the bully (a large girl who everyone was scared of) walked over and stole my bouncy ball. I loved that ball. I asked her for it back, and she turned and bounced it as hard as she could onto the school roof. I think I said something as threatening as 'Why did you do that? That's not very nice!' and she promptly punched me in the face. My glasses cut into me, just missing my eye, and I had a huge cut and black eye for weeks.

Edited to add: Just yesterday, a few Facebook friends were tagged in a school picture. For some reason I wasn't in it, but I scanned it and, bearing in mind I left that school a year later, was surprised to see I recognised a few people. A kid who was my best friend at the time, and...that bully! Recognised her instantly.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    Fire.

Left hip.

Had surgery.
  • amandalc980
    amandalc980 Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I have a burn on my leg from a new curling iron i dropped when it was at 400 degrees...

If it scars I'm going to steal EmCarrolls scar story, much cooler than a curling iron. :)
  • DeepAsAPlate
    DeepAsAPlate Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I have this lightening-looking scar on my forehead from Lord Voldemort.

Wait, no. That was Harry Potter.

All my scars are internal.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I have a lattice looking scar on my inner right calf from falling on (and getting stuck to) an in-floor heater grate when I was a little munchkin because I wanted to show someone my pretty new dress shoes... :|
  • Nina2723
    Nina2723 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have an inch and half long one under my chin, a 2 cm across the end of my nose and my entire eye lid is one big scar. I went face first through a windshield almost 10 years ago. You can still see my whole forhead has tons of scars from it and I can still pull little shards of glass out perioudically. It serves as a great reminder for my kids to always wear there seat bealts in a car. Luckly my daughter was only 4 months old at the time and I had her buckled in properly.

Also have a 2 inch long scar on my neck from a tumor removal almst 16 year ago ( damn i feel old now)
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    A 3" scar on my neck from the removal of half my thyroid.

A 6" scar on my belly from having 3 c-sections!! :wink:

Then just little scars here and there from various owies. :laugh:
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have a medium oval-y shaped scar on my left wrist from reaching across an ironing board while the iron was on when I was about seven.
  • lindaamarie
    lindaamarie Posts: 114
    Options
    I have a scar right below my lower lip from where I fell onto the arm of a pew and my tooth went all the way through my lip. I didn't have to get stitches though :) just glued.
  • xiala
    xiala Posts: 50
    Options
    I have a four-inch scar on my left hip caused by falling into a standing mirror. I tell everyone it's from a pirate attack! lol