Polygamy, Your thoughts.

Options

Replies

• LilynEdensmom
    LilynEdensmom Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Its not for me...but if other consenting adults want to do it more power to them..I"m addicted to the show sister wives, but I don't get along with other women in general and I don't share well lol.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I feel lucky I was born in america, I feel lucky I was raised Wiccan and not brainwashed by a Christian family - there's many who don't agree with that. Everyone will never agree on everything.

So you were brainwashed by a Wiccan family instead.
  • utahgirl247
    utahgirl247 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    i think it should be an individual choice and something that is not forced. if there is a breadwinner (or more) who can provide and contribute appropriately to society, then why not. just sayin`
  • SilkyHotspur
    SilkyHotspur Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Just my luck that I would get 4 women to go along with this idea and then their TOM didn't synch up. Every week there would be one woman p*ssed off.

with you on that one
  • DrJackson6
    DrJackson6 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I personally don't have a problem with it and don't see the big deal. However, I wonder what man or woman would want to put up with that many spouses! :indifferent: :indifferent:
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    There are thousands of known polygamists in the state of Utah. Overwhelmingly Mormon/FLDS. Listen to some of the stories of kids (usually teenagers/young adults) trying to escape this lifestyle (which is made very, very difficult) and then think about it again. 90% of these people have been physically or sexually abused. Education is actively discouraged in these communities. Thousands and thousands of people in Utah alone. It isn't a few crazies living in a tent village in the desert.

It's about far more than 'what people do behind closed doors'.

Hmmm. I think you are connecting two things that don't neccessarily need to be connected. Polygamy can exist outside a cult setting in which child abuse happens.

Just like prostitution can exist outside of child prostitution. Prostitution is legal in one county in Nevada and brothels are up and running. Its definitely not the same as sex trafficking or child prostitution that is forced upon people against their will.

I think in both cases, the difference is one scenario is consenting adults (adult prostitution, adult polygamy) and the other is a situation of abuse/coercion/lack of consent. I agree with you that children should not be treated as you describe. But I don't think that really has anything to do with polygamy, per se.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I need a few more wives around this place to help me take care of my damn dogs!!!!! Any takers????
  • jboccio90
    jboccio90 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    The reason you could not share your husband ... you were raised with the "notion" that it's OK for a woman to have a positive sense of self worth. It's OK for you to feel that your are equal to a man.

Girls raised in polygamy are not taught this. If a woman who share's her husband is jealous ... the woman has a problem. She's the bad guy. It's not like "Big Love" ... girls raised in this environment are taught they are second class citizens.

that is also how girls are raised in the middle east, even Mexice (the oldest boy of the family gets no discipline and is revered) it's someone else's culture. I feel lucky I was born in america, I feel lucky I was raised Wiccan and not brainwashed by a Christian family - there's many who don't agree with that. Everyone will never agree on everything.

I was raised christian and was not "brain washed". I am very tolerant of what other people believe/do with their lives. Its an ignorant statement to make.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    In a perfect world, things like polygamy would work fine, but the world is far from perfect and people make many things as bad as they can possibly be.
    Unfortunately the cultures where polygamy is strongest respect women the least.
    That is why polygamy should be illegal.
  • KaleidoscopeEyes1056
    KaleidoscopeEyes1056 Posts: 2,996 Member
    Options
    I just have one thing to say about both Polygamy and gay marriage

IF ALL PERSONS INVOLVED ARE CONSENTING ADULTS, WHO CARES?!

Seriously. Seriously.
  • jolarocknrolla
    jolarocknrolla Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    that's all i need in my house ... TWO guys sitting on the couch playing videogames.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    that's all i need in my house ... TWO guys sitting on the couch playing videogames.

Hhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahhahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Oh dang.

That was funny!
  • Improvised
    Improvised Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I feel lucky I was born in america, I feel lucky I was raised Wiccan and not brainwashed by a Christian family - there's many who don't agree with that. Everyone will never agree on everything.

So you were brainwashed by a Wiccan family instead.

Lol, yeah, pretty much.
  • pamelak5
    pamelak5 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    when i googled the definition of polygamy, it didn't say it's specifically multiple wives. It's mulitple partners "of the opposite sex".... so I assume this includes marriages in which there are more than one husband. I saw a little documentary on tv about a polygamous marriage in which there was two men and one woman. It was a three way. It wasn't like the men had nothing to do with eachother. It was cute, actually.

From the defintion:
    (n.) The having of a plurality of wives or husbands at the same time; usually, the marriage of a man to more than one woman, or the practice of having several wives, at the same time; -- opposed to monogamy; as, the nations of the East practiced polygamy. See the Note under Bigamy, and cf. Polyandry.
    (n.) The condition or state of a plant which bears both perfect and unisexual flowers.
    (n.) The state or habit of having more than one mate.

Multiple women: Polygyny
    Multiple men: Polyandry
    The general term is Polygamy.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    As long as people are happy and aren't causing harm to others, let them live their damn lives. Regardless if they're gay, polygamists, Mormons, whatever. People should be allowed to be happy - no one should infringe on that (as long as there's no harm being caused.)

Exactly.

Edit: pamelak5 beat me to it :)
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    It's a personal preference that shouldn't be interfered with by government. Unless young children are involved (making them marry), then it's not a concern to me.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer/Group Fitness Instructor
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

My feelings exactly!
  • BandedTriaRN
    BandedTriaRN Posts: 303
    Options
    I think one of the biggest reasons they don't make it legal in the USA is due to the fact that then bigamy would be legal. So your husband, knowing that you would leave him if he married someone else, would just keep it behind your back. They can do that anyway, obviously but not legally.

I think that Polygyny(one man with more than one female)is fine as long as Polyandry(the mating of one female with more than one male while each male mates with only one female is known as polyandry (literally, "many males") is also legal.

I don't want more than one spouse and neither does my husband!
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    That Michelle Duggar looks like she could use a few more hands around the house.
  • gayje
    gayje Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    what is cracking me up here is everyone assuming the relationship would be one man with multiple wives. I have friends in my life where it is one woman and two men. It's not about the men sharing the woman. They all love (and enjoy) each other equally.

I/We would...in a heartbeat. I was raised by christian parents and he had no religion exposure other than what he sought out himself and read about. That being said, we have talked about this and although it's never been anything more than just a discussion on the topic, we decided that *polyamory* would be the way to go and NOT polygamy. We've both been married and divorced and see no need to do it again.

Oh, and I would want to be the "single female" of our trifecta since I'm a bit of the jealous type and he is not. lol...
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    to each their own