Polygamy, Your thoughts.

Options

Replies

• pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    There are thousands of known polygamists in the state of Utah. Overwhelmingly Mormon/FLDS. Listen to some of the stories of kids (usually teenagers/young adults) trying to escape this lifestyle (which is made very, very difficult) and then think about it again. 90% of these people have been physically or sexually abused. Education is actively discouraged in these communities. Thousands and thousands of people in Utah alone. It isn't a few crazies living in a tent village in the desert.

It's about far more than 'what people do behind closed doors'.

This is why I can say I don't care about the *idea* of polygamy on paper and still also kind of not be comfortable with it in the real world.

On paper, if people are of age and want to do it, fine. But the reality is that there is a whole host of ethical issues associated with the practice in real life, just like you say.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    what is cracking me up here is everyone assuming the relationship would be one man with multiple wives. I have friends in my life where it is one woman and two men. It's not about the men sharing the woman. They all love (and enjoy) each other equally.

Took the words out of my mouth. I don't know anyone personally, but I think it's fuuny that we have the image of polygamy, as one man and many wives. This is how it usually is, but it's not the only way. I also wonder if any of the wives ever "hook" up, or fall in love.
  • keem88
    keem88 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Options
    although personally, one significant other in my life is more than enough for me
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    There are thousands of known polygamists in the state of Utah. Overwhelmingly Mormon/FLDS. Listen to some of the stories of kids (usually teenagers/young adults) trying to escape this lifestyle (which is made very, very difficult) and then think about it again. 90% of these people have been physically or sexually abused. Education is actively discouraged in these communities. Thousands and thousands of people in Utah alone. It isn't a few crazies living in a tent village in the desert.

It's about far more than 'what people do behind closed doors'.

Hmmm. I think you are connecting two things that don't neccessarily need to be connected. Polygamy can exist outside a cult setting in which child abuse happens.

Just like prostitution can exist outside of child prostitution. Prostitution is legal in one county in Nevada and brothels are up and running. Its definitely not the same as sex trafficking or child prostitution that is forced upon people against their will.

I think in both cases, the difference is one scenario is consenting adults (adult prostitution, adult polygamy) and the other is a situation of abuse/coercion/lack of consent. I agree with you that children should not be treated as you describe. But I don't think that really has anything to do with polygamy, per se.

The frame of reference for much of this discussion has been "Sister Wives" ... which is about a Mormon polygamist family. I did specify in my post that this is what I was referring to.
  • itgeekwoman
    itgeekwoman Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I would love to have multiple husbands. As far as getting help around the house, I could afford that with a few extra incomes, but really for me I don't need another woman in the house. If my husband wanted to bring in another man, I'd be open to the discussion.

I don't tend to take well with the "women's role" in the house.
  • gertudejekyl
    gertudejekyl Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    your minds are really screwed up:indifferent:
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    The frame of reference for much of this discussion has been "Sister Wives" ... which is about a Mormon polygamist family. I did specify in my post that this is what I was referring to.

I'm sorry. I didn't catch that. I don't watch TV much (that's a tv show right?)....

In which case, I think i agree with you!
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I feel lucky I was born in america, I feel lucky I was raised Wiccan and not brainwashed by a Christian family - there's many who don't agree with that. Everyone will never agree on everything.

So you were brainwashed by a Wiccan family instead.

This is another one I agree with you on!

I was raised christian, and I wouldn't say I was brainwashed.
  • cmcmommy
    cmcmommy Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    How about the flip side to this ? What if we women could marry more them 1 man? I would be open to that . But why do people look at it as nasty . Whats good 4 the goose is good 4 the gander RIGHT!
  • future_runner
    future_runner Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    im against gay marriage and polygomy on moral grounds. From legal grounds I think they all should be able to engage in a legal arrangement, (i.e.) a Civil Union, but let's not call it marriage, because that isnt what marriage is.

You're right, marriage at its creation was an exchange of property, typically a daughter for land or money. Sometimes livestock. Those are the only the government should recognize in your opinion?
  • Susabelle64
    Susabelle64 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I did try and persuade my hubby to get a new wife - one who enjoyed the housework but he was not up for the idea.

What an awesome thought! I will have to discuss this with him..........I bet he will say it's not in our budget.............

Seriously though, I do not have an issue between consenting adults doing what is fine for them, I do have concerns about the young girls and what this says to them. If they are nothing but brood mares.........yeah, kinda have an issue with it. If this is many hands make light work.........sure whatever. Not for me though.........
  • RzRzRzR
    RzRzRzR Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    So if Romney had more than one wife, should anyone care?
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    I can hardly keep up with my wife and her GF...I don't need another.....
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I personally couldn't be just another wife. lol But I was watching the show Sister Wives on Sunday and they were trying to get 4 home loans. What got me thinking is this.....3 of the wives had to apply for a loan as a SINGLE mother. I wonder how they like being called SINGLE mothers when in their eyes and their religion they are married.

That is why the laws need to change......so that they can apply as a five person family.....
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would welcome the extra help around the house. But, I wouldn't want to share my husband, therefore not an option for me.

AGREED!!!!! Absolutely!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • weighlossforbaby
    weighlossforbaby Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    It's their life. I wouldn't want my husband to have another wife and I definitely wouldn't share him with anyone else.
  • led6777
    led6777 Posts: 268
    Options
    i'm cool with polyamory but polygamy is so one-sided.
  • cdc33
    cdc33 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I thinks its really no one business but the people invloved in the relationship as long as everyone is of age and truly wants the life style then go for it. Im not into that life style but I wouldnt stop those who are. life is about happines people what ever makes you happy :happy:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    as long as we don't all have to sleep in the same bed! crowded
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I feel lucky I was born in america, I feel lucky I was raised Wiccan and not brainwashed by a Christian family - there's many who don't agree with that. Everyone will never agree on everything.

So you were brainwashed by a Wiccan family instead.

This is another one I agree with you on!

I was raised christian, and I wouldn't say I was brainwashed.

I wouldn't say I was either. My parents shared their religion with me but didn't force me to do it. I was allowed to choose whether I went to church. And I didn't go for a few years. My parents didn't burn me at the stake or throw holy water at me...shocking, I know.