Biggest Pet Peeves at the Gym

Options

Replies

• malinen23
    malinen23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of Mr. Grunts real loud and slams weight down really hard so everyone knows how hard I work. (In my pseudo German voice) The guy in the gym yesterday was literally screaming at the top of his lungs. SMH
  • sglato
    sglato Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    When I busting my @$$ off to lost this weight lifing 70-100 lbs , and I see smaller girls who really dont even need it doing chest flies at 10lbs, or arm rows at 10lbs not even working up at sweat! Srsly!

Seriously.. You're not as much of a bad *kitten* as you think you are.

Not everyone can lift as much as you, and not everyone sweats.. and Yes, even the smaller girls need to lift weights.. Last time I checked my gym weights room there wasn't a sign or anything dictating that only bigger girls could lift weights while smaller girls could not.. and when there is.. well thats when my smaller self will stop lifting my 15-20 pound dumbbells while not even working up a sweat(cause for some odd reason, it takes a lot for me to sweat.. and it's usually towards the middle to the end of my session that it starts happening).

My point is, that they are not doing any resistance. And it aggravates me to see them doing that. Not going anywhere.
  • jameehardey
    Options
    smelly people, people who hog EVERYTHING at peak hour, come on you do not need to spend 80 minutes doing cross trainer or whatever. MOVE ON! and those girls that look better than i do GOING OUT... come one princess!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    When I busting my @$$ off to lost this weight lifing 70-100 lbs , and I see smaller girls who really dont even need it doing chest flies at 10lbs, or arm rows at 10lbs not even working up at sweat! Srsly!

Not everyone can lift as much as you, and not everyone sweats.. and Yes, even the smaller girls need to lift weights.. Last time I checked my gym weights room there wasn't a sign or anything dictating that only bigger girls could lift weights while smaller girls could not.. and when there is.. well thats when my smaller self will stop lifting my 15-20 pound dumbbells while not even working up a sweat(cause for some odd reason, it takes a lot for me to sweat.. and it's usually towards the middle to the end of my session that it starts happening).

My point is, that they are not doing any resistance. And it aggravates me to see them doing that. Not going anywhere.

How do you know it's not doing any resistance? For someone who has never lifted before, 10 pounds is a lot of resistance.. hell, even 5 pounds can be if you are brand new to lifting.

Just because you can lift a lot and think you are busting your *kitten*, does not actually mean that you are.. perceived effort and actual effort are two very different things.
  • kwin91
    kwin91 Posts: 128
    Options
    Women that come in with no make up and any old shirt they pull off the floor.

people that stare at me when im on my phone ....seriously f off

^^^The thing I hate is JUDGMENTAL people:)

The whole point of going to the gym to work out, not to talk on your cell phone. I can see why people would stare because its obnoxious when you hear someone talking on the phone when your trying to work out. A gym is a place to work out not to go to tell everyone you know that your there...

And I'm sorry but why the heck am I gonna put on make-up to go work out? I don't know what you do for a work out, but I actually sweat so I know I'm actually benefiting from my workouts.
    As for what you wear, it doesn't matter as long as your getting in your workout.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i ran into my first yeller today. 7am screamer. i was on elliptical, he made rounds.. bar dips scream. biceps scream... it was pretty funny..
  • PALady4JC
    PALady4JC Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Women that come in with no make up and any old shirt they pull off the floor.

people that stare at me when im on my phone ....seriously f off

OK, I don't wear any old shirt I pull off the floor, but makeup? At the gym? While I'm working out and sweating?! I don't think so. But then, I'm comfortable going without makeup sometimes when I'm not at the gym. Different strokes...
  • jinlopez
    jinlopez Posts: 38
    Options
    Share yours, but here are some of mine.

1. Guys that sit around and chit chat for like an hour, especially when they're holding up a piece of equipment or weights. I mean seriously, can you chatty cathys go grab a cup of coffee or something? I'm trying to get swole here!

2. Guys that go to the gym, and whose top priority is to pick up girls. I'm pretty sure the young lady came here to workout, not listen to your pick-up lines. (Although I do enjoy watching this from time to time. Some of the funniest rejections I've seen happened at gyms.)

3. That know-it-all guy, whose sole purpose is to walk around the gym and tell you that you're doing it wrong. Look at me, I'm pretty sure I have a grip on my workouts. Next time I need HGH advice, I'll come find you.

4. People who don't wipe after they use the equipment. I mean, come on! Really?

These are just a few of mine. Are you guilty of any of these? Do you have any of your own? Let me know.

This is why I go (when I go) at 2:30 a.m. No one is there....it's quiet....it's clean....all the weights are re-racked. I'm in and out. XSports.....24-hour gym. Love them.
  • marz42
    marz42 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    1. Girls who spend two hours getting ready just to go to the gym and you can smell their perfume a mile away!

2. Girls who do not work up a sweat, you are at the gym to lose weight not to look pretty and pick up guys.

3. Girls who wear just a sports bra in front of the whole gym... I do not care how skinny you are it is just wrong!

#1..especially this. I don't care if someone looks fancied up or like they pulled a shirt off the floor, but I hate the super strong perfumes and colognes. Guys are guilty of this too. Strong scents cause bad headaches and even allergic reactions for a lot of people, and when you start to work out and sweat they smell that much stronger, and when the person next to the perfumed person is working out you are breathing them in that much more. A little.. fine, but no need to bathe in it.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Share yours, but here are some of mine.

1. Guys that sit around and chit chat for like an hour, especially when they're holding up a piece of equipment or weights. I mean seriously, can you chatty cathys go grab a cup of coffee or something? I'm trying to get swole here!

2. Guys that go to the gym, and whose top priority is to pick up girls. I'm pretty sure the young lady came here to workout, not listen to your pick-up lines. (Although I do enjoy watching this from time to time. Some of the funniest rejections I've seen happened at gyms.)

3. That know-it-all guy, whose sole purpose is to walk around the gym and tell you that you're doing it wrong. Look at me, I'm pretty sure I have a grip on my workouts. Next time I need HGH advice, I'll come find you.

4. People who don't wipe after they use the equipment. I mean, come on! Really?

These are just a few of mine. Are you guilty of any of these? Do you have any of your own? Let me know.

This is why I go (when I go) at 2:30 a.m. No one is there....it's quiet....it's clean....all the weights are re-racked. I'm in and out. XSports.....24-hour gym. Love them.

At my 24 hour gym, they don't ever re-rack the weights that have been left out at any point. It is so frustrating!! They actually close Sunday nights until 5 am Monday morning and you walk in as soon as they open and weights are everywhere!! I always think, why did they even close down?? Obviously no one cleaned and the floor was obviously not cleaned under those weights!! WTH??
  • marz42
    Options
    I think at my gym all the treadmills are the same. I never knew there were different kinds for running. Maybe the gym needs to put a sign on them, if they are new to gyms or casual users they may not know either.

I'm a walker (so far) who does specifically use the incline..never 50 though. Every year I go camping for 2 weeks somewhere very hilly and I'm so not used to it. I end up walking up one particularly brutal hill a lot and it about does me in. So I've been walking with the incline set pretty high on purpose to train for it as my area at home is very flat.
    At the gym I go to, we have a long line of treadmills but 2 of them are specific to running(shorter belt, more give) and while I was training for my half I would always use them and only them - so I would hate it when walkers get on there and just chat with their friend on the other machine.

The walkers like these machines cause they have an incline of 50 whereas the other machines only go to an incline of 30 - really, you need to walk at a 50 incline(they don't).

Now that my half is over, go for it ladies, enjoy the machines.

I am sure how I feel isn't entirely normal, but some of us are treadmill divas :laugh:
  • ashleyacee
    ashleyacee Posts: 118
    Options

How do you know it's not doing any resistance? For someone who has never lifted before, 10 pounds is a lot of resistance.. hell, even 5 pounds can be if you are brand new to lifting.

Just because you can lift a lot and think you are busting your *kitten*, does not actually mean that you are.. perceived effort and actual effort are two very different things.

^^^^
    YES agree not everyone can lift the same amount, and it does not mean just because someone is lifting lighter than you they are not getting a good workout. EITHER WAY it shouldn't be your concern you should be focused on your own workout.
  • sglato
    sglato Posts: 28 Member
    Options

You know what you do, and I know what I do, that is really all that matters. This was just a post asking ppl about their pet peeves, no need to get offened. Good Luck!! :smile:
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    >:( My pet peeve are those people who HAVE to stretch out RIGHT NEXT TO THE HEAVY BAG. There's a whole huge mat for you folks - leave me some room to do a few kicks and punches!

Also, the guy who likes to come over and tell me I look "adorable" when I'm all sweaty and working out. I hate you, sir!
  • marz42
    Options
    i dunno if this is really a pet peeve, but i don't understand walking on a treadmill... wouldn't it be more interesting to walk outside? you can walk pretty much anywhere, and theres the whole bonus of a changing environment to keep you interested. i realize you can run outside too but its so much easier to push yourself with the treadmill going at fixed speed.

^ YES. And you're not going to work up a sweat, which is what you bought a pass for to begin with!

I disagree. I'm not very fit, I walk on the treadmill, and I work up quite a sweat, I vary the speed so its just on the edge of uncomfortably fast, I vary the incline and stuff to make sure I'm working at it. I'm trying to work my way up to jogging. I like walking outside too, but I prefer the treadmill sometimes for a lot of reasons.
    --I can count on it in any weather.
    --No traffic, kids on bikes, stray dogs to watch out for.
    --It's softer/less impact than the hard concrete I'd be walking on at home. I can really feel the difference.
    --I know exactly how fast I'm going, how far, for how long, at what incline, so I can better track it and increase it.
    --I like being around a lot of other people working out. Whenever I'm walking on a treadmill among others working out, or even more so behind someone really working it on the elliptical (etc) I tend to put much more effort into it than just strolling by myself in my neighborhood.
    --I like looking at the tvs while I listen to music on the headphones.
    --Its safer late at night than walking around the neighbor hood and I often work late.
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Planet Fitness pisses me off all together. I love watching the really huge chick sit on an ab machine with a fist full of tootsie rolls who isnt working out at all, just texting.
    Pizza Mondays the first monday of every month? Screw you. I think it can be agreed upon that everyone who goes to the gym already knows how to eat like crap, why not lay out heathly spreads of fruits, greek yogurts, and similar items with menu cards on the table that you can take with you?
    Bagle and Cream cheese Tuesdays? Once again screw you, and for the people who show up and partake in the pizza, cream cheese and tootsie rolls please stay home and keep watching tv so you're not clogging up the equipment I want to use

They are just making sure they have steady business. :laugh:
  • gerard54
    gerard54 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    ppl who stare at you while you workout...
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    IF THAT FAN IS ON ONE MORE TIME WHEN I GET TO THE GYM.... IM GOING TO F-ING SNAP!!!!!!!!!!!
    Hate when i get to the gym (my gym is very small) and that big *kitten* fan is on full blast and its cold as heck in there and outside. WTF?!?!? We came here to sweat. Pricks!

I love having a big fan blowing on me. I overheat easily and found that I actually work out better and can put in more effort when I'm not overheating.

The purpose of sweat is to cool the body off, which usually requires a breeze of some sort to help wick away the heat, not just to be dripping for the the sake of being wet.
  • Insolite
    Insolite Posts: 3
    Options
    Wow! Hearing some of you here it is a crime looking good at the gym. I mean, I don't wear makeup or don't do my hair before coming, but I love to wear a cute gym outfit or nice running shoes that matches. Is that means I'm not here to work out and I'm desperately seeking for male attention? Not at all!!! That just means I love fashion and looking cute, it makes me happy.
    Also for sports bra, what is so wrong by wearing them? If you have the stomach and the body for, go for it!!! I never been bothered by girls wearing them... They have the guts to do it, good for them! Is it there a little bit a jealousy??.... Just saying!!

Oh and by the way, I hate when I go to the cross fit or body sculpting classes and there is that same new and old woman who always arrived 5 min. late and place herself 2 feet from me. Can she just go find a place somewhere else? I make sure to arrive 15 min. before the class starts just to get a nice spot and this woman always ruins everything lol (joking).
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I think I became this today but could't help myself. I had to work off cookies from a wedding yesterday so I brought an Ipod with me 'cos it was gonna be a long session.. something I've never done... I can't help it and didn't expect it but all my old music makes me smile or laugh and feel pumped.... I don't think I actually sang out loud, but I know a few times a couple of favorite lyrics were aspirated - followed by a whipping head roll. my hair isn't long enough any more to actually spray anyone with sweat but I'm sure it was weird looking... as was the goofy smile on my face. In the old days you'd cross the street to avoid what I was today. sorry all... but it's really about me...