Biggest Pet Peeves at the Gym

Options

Replies

• tabik30
    tabik30 Posts: 443
    Options
    I have a small gym at home, looks like Im missing out on alot of fun! And some eye candy...damn
  • SylentZee
    SylentZee Posts: 262
    Options
    i know this is kinda rude and sometimes unavoidable but men who smell REALLY REALLY bad running on the tredmil right beside mine. couldn't you have picked a different tredmil :( ?

I actually shower before I head to the gym in order to avoid that. Maybe I'm the only one.

I always shower before heading to the gym, I bring body spray and an extra set of clothes.
  • caitychu
    caitychu Posts: 39
    Options
    This is stupid. You sweat off your make up any ways. If you don't, you're not doing a good enough job. NO ONE should look "cute" or "pretty" after a work out. Not even models do.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm new to posting. This was a response to this :

"Women that come in with no make up and any old shirt they pull off the floor.

people that stare at me when im on my phone ....seriously f off"
  • RosmaryApplestrudle
    Options
    People who stare at bigger people! They are at the gym, they know they need to work out and they're doing it! That is amazing in my view! And frankly often if they are unfit they have to work harder then the fitness kings and queens! Leave them alone!
  • jwt7606
    jwt7606 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I must say my number one is the same as Yaboimugs'. Even if they aren't holding up a machine or weights, the "Chatty Charlies" really bug me when they're standing somewhere other than to the side and I have to constantly walk around them. I can't help but think, you are wasting space...and stealing oxygen...get out of the way. Maybe I'm a jerk or easily annoyed, but chatting is for chat rooms and coffee houses.

At the gym, I WORK.

Otherwise, people who blatantly ignore the fact that they are intruding on the space you need to properly execute your lift. Today, I was doing incline flyes when a guy got on the bench next to me to do flat chest flyes. After we nearly smashed knuckles a few times I just got up (there were plenty of empty benches) I guess it is the gym's fault for packing too much equipment into one space.

I try to mind my own so doofuses don't make my head explode.
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    My only "complaints" are with some of the "younger" crowd at the weights gym I go to. The gym's motto is "Shut-up and train".

This message is not getting through to some of the younger and "chatty" set!

Fortunately, this seems to be restricted to a small group of people who I have crossed paths with only on Friday evenings.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    People that wear heavy perfume or body spray to the gym. They often wear it to an ultra sweaty class like Zumba and stink up the room.

I did actually yell at 3 people last week for not wiping their sweat off the machines last week (it was a Mom, Dad, and their 20-something year old son). I waited a 1/2 hour and went to get my wipes. I leaned over the rail into the weight section and said: "Hey, would you guys like me to clean off your machines too? I'm happy to help since I noticed you did not clean yours." The son ran over to help and I said "do you need help remembering which machines you were on? and gestured to the 4 machines they sweated on.

People suck.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    hmm..guess I am the *kitten* at my gym.
    I curl in the squat rack, because I curl wide bar, Olympic bar wide and since I have long arms the Oly bar is all I can use to get a get wide curl.
    One arm DB rows in front of the DB rack..well since I do them with the 120's I image the line waiting for them is not terribly long so if I lean on the rack, which is also the perfect height for DB rows, I think I can get away with it.

Truthfully, I pay my dues there and am there more than most asshats and push more weight than most asshats so I feel I can use the equipment in the ways that benefit me when I lift. If you mainly cardio and do some light weight lifting, don't expect to have the Lifters move for ya, we won't. Deal with it or find another gym..like Curves or Bally's or something more laid back. That being said, my gym is divided pretty well where all lifters are in a specific area and kinda understand unwritten allowances, like curling in the squat rack but I have been to every man for themselves gyms and they just don't work well.
  • SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    Perfume or cologne at the gym. Yuck. Makes me sneeze.

People who glare at you when you are on a cardio machine for more than 30 minutes when the gym is empty. I'm more than willing to comply with that rule when it's busy but if there's lots available, go find another one!
  • caitychu
    Options
    1. Girls who spend two hours getting ready just to go to the gym and you can smell their perfume a mile away!

2. Girls who do not work up a sweat, you are at the gym to lose weight not to look pretty and pick up guys.

3. Girls who wear just a sports bra in front of the whole gym... I do not care how skinny you are it is just wrong!

I do not see a problem with girls wearing only sports bras at the gym. I personally dont do it but then again I don't have the stomach for it. Sometimes when I see girls like that then it encourages me to push harder to get that flat toned stomach.

What she said! ^ It definitely is an encouragement. One day, I'd like to wear just a sports bra and shorts to the gym to show off MY hard work :)
  • ashlinmarie
    ashlinmarie Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Guys that not only sit around chatting it up, but also guys that spend more time walking over and checking their phones than actually working out. I mean, just get your burn in, and get out.

Now, there is nothing I can do about this, but I hate when I'm at the gym and doing my strength circuits with the gym and there are like 10 guys there benching my weight or more while I have the puny 8 pounders. Not that I want to be able to lift that, but I'm chunky and stuff and they're all lean and buff and I feel like they're all staring at me and judging me (which I know they aren't). It makes me really self conscious.

People that use the mirrors not just for checking their form.
  • mwestonp
    mwestonp Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I guess it's a nice enough gesture and isn't necessarily on the level of some of the others that have already been posted, but my pet peeve is what I call the GSS or Good Samaritan Spotter. This is the guy who, without request, shows up in the middle of your set to volunteer as your own personal guest trainer. It's often accompanied with awesomely inspiring words like, "come on bro, you got this."

Yeah, thanks "bro", but if I want a spot I'll be sure to let you know before I start peeling off reps. Now kindly take your hands off the bar and let me finish my set.
  • BrownEyedSister
    BrownEyedSister Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Nastiness in the locker rooms. This isn't your house and your mother doesn't work here - clean up after yourself! Someone left a used band-aid in one of the showers yesterday. Disgusting!
  • caitychu
    Options
    My biggest pet peeve at the gym is the "girls only" room. I feel so much more judged there than I do when I go to the joined part of the gym. Girls glare at you, never smile. I like it when I can actually feel welcomed at my gym and people actually make an effort to socialize. We're all there for the same reason, right?
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I'm new at this and can't wait to try some these ideas cos I don't know what faaack a squat rack does.. but today I did run into a lady in one lane of the lap pool holding on to side and doing to water stuff... then a lady in the lane next to her just kinda hanging out...doing some knee lifts... when she could have been sharing the lane with the other lady as neither were moving from their spot, not swimming laps and it was a loooong lane. call it lane hogs...
  • jgilbey
    jgilbey Posts: 79
    Options
    Wow you people must be pretty perfect.. hm.
  • nokittyno
    nokittyno Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    These Gym annoyances are insane! I haven't been to the gym since mid-winter, as I workout from home, but my Shin pain was preventing me from running on my treadmill, or jumping rope so I was paying the $9.00 Drop-In fee at the YMCA to use their ellipticals/bikes (I recently saved for a Spin Bike, so I Spin @ Home now :)

But when I WAS there, .... Even though I don't have enough definitive time to create a compilation of annoyances, I guess I will throw mine out there:

* People who stare, and I don't mean glance then look away, 'cause that's obviously natural human tendencies, or look as I may be in their line of sight from their said-cardio machine but - Stare, like, a Western Stare down. Really? Um, uncomfortable

* Guys who stare when I go to the weight section, then the women when I start doing Bicep curls with 25's.

* The Treadmill/Elliptical thing. 7 machines or so, and I go to the furthest at the end, someone goes.. right beside me. Uh, OKAY THEN.

NOW, since I work out from home (Thank goodness) Here are my home workout woes:

* My Cat taking a dump in the cat litter when I am doing cardio, not only does it waft up, but imagine that plus the addition of extra oxygen your body is requiring .. Yeah.

* My dogs barking as the male man/woman comes to the house, if you haven't got music in your ears, this will make you jump off the bench in fright.

* Spiders and bugs. I seldomly see them, but when you're doing leg curls and looking down whilst lying down.. and there's a spider in your line of sight, .... You want to finish your set, but you're afraid they will bar all concepts of crawling and leap onto your face. Yes.. Look, it could happen, mind you... my perceptions are flawed after seeing Arachnophobia..

* When you're doing your thing down there, and you're squatting or deadlifting, and your mother comes down in the midst to ask you how to sign in to her e-mail... Mom, busy now...

In reality I think I prefer to workout at home, sometimes I wish I had a spotter (even though I have a rack) or someone else besides to motivate me, or if I could learn from another, or share would be nice.. But right now it works. :)
  • YaBoiMUGS
    YaBoiMUGS Posts: 237
    Options
    hmm..guess I am the *kitten* at my gym.
    I curl in the squat rack, because I curl wide bar, Olympic bar wide and since I have long arms the Oly bar is all I can use to get a get wide curl.
    One arm DB rows in front of the DB rack..well since I do them with the 120's I image the line waiting for them is not terribly long so if I lean on the rack, which is also the perfect height for DB rows, I think I can get away with it.

Truthfully, I pay my dues there and am there more than most asshats and push more weight than most asshats so I feel I can use the equipment in the ways that benefit me when I lift. If you mainly cardio and do some light weight lifting, don't expect to have the Lifters move for ya, we won't. Deal with it or find another gym..like Curves or Bally's or something more laid back. That being said, my gym is divided pretty well where all lifters are in a specific area and kinda understand unwritten allowances, like curling in the squat rack but I have been to every man for themselves gyms and they just don't work well.

You know, little guys like me need those 120's for their dumbbell presses, and the other weights around them. lol I put in work at the gym day in and day out, I don't expect you to move, I just don't expect you to be in the way either. I pay my dues too.
  • virionoftomorrow
    Options
    i dunno if this is really a pet peeve, but i don't understand walking on a treadmill... wouldn't it be more interesting to walk outside? you can walk pretty much anywhere, and theres the whole bonus of a changing environment to keep you interested. i realize you can run outside too but its so much easier to push yourself with the treadmill going at fixed speed.

also germaphobes... yes sweat is "gross" but thats the peril of using shared equipment. wiping it off with a towel may make you feel better but honestly its not going to do much to eliminate the chances of you catching a bacterial infection from someone else, especially if the towel they use has been repeatedly used for the purpose of cleaning sweat off machines. take a freaking shower after you work out and get over it. while its true that a lot of infections spread in gyms its also true that the majority of people who go to gyms don't get infections... the instinctive revulsion seems unjustified compared to the actual danger posed by contact with someone elses sweat.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    People who walk around the locker room's naked... Can't tell you how many times I have gone to wet my HRM strap and an older naked lady runs past me towards the showers.

People who come up to my trainer and start conversations while I'm working out with him.. Um hello, this is my hour not yours. Go schedule an appointment yourself if you want to talk to him so bad.

Finally.. Yes, I match while at the gym.. Everything is color coordinated from my top to my shoes.. and I love it!