Biggest Pet Peeves at the Gym

Options

Replies

• caitychu
    caitychu Posts: 39
    Options
    i dunno if this is really a pet peeve, but i don't understand walking on a treadmill... wouldn't it be more interesting to walk outside? you can walk pretty much anywhere, and theres the whole bonus of a changing environment to keep you interested. i realize you can run outside too but its so much easier to push yourself with the treadmill going at fixed speed.

^ YES. And you're not going to work up a sweat, which is what you bought a pass for to begin with!
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    You know, little guys like me need those 120's for their dumbbell presses, and the other weights around them. lol I put in work at the gym day in and day out, I don't expect you to move, I just don't expect you to be in the way either. I pay my dues too.

Fair enough.
    I'll look out for the little peeps in the future =)
  • Loko_Ino
    Options
    People who walk around the locker room's naked... Can't tell you how many times I have gone to wet my HRM strap and an older naked lady runs past me towards the showers.

My gym seems to have every old guy in town at it for some reason and NONE wear a towel after the shower...which I don't understand since they are walking around naked with the towel over their shoulder....
  • Esme_32
    Esme_32 Posts: 14
    Options
    People who stare at bigger people! They are at the gym, they know they need to work out and they're doing it! That is amazing in my view! And frankly often if they are unfit they have to work harder then the fitness kings and queens! Leave them alone!

this
  • AliciaStaton
    AliciaStaton Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    People who just sit when they have finished their work out and chat on equipment such as a rowing machine, and if you ask if they have finished its like you killed their dog, when all you want to do is get fit and lose weight. People who use their mobiles if you want to chat stay at home.
  • Loko_Ino
    Options
    Wow you people must be pretty perfect.. hm.

almost..but a few more weeks at the gym and I will be..thanks for asking.
    Guess you never vent to any of your friends or family about anything at all..just bottle it all up and swallow the rage..nice..and healthy.
  • SF2514
    SF2514 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    This is stupid. You sweat off your make up any ways. If you don't, you're not doing a good enough job. NO ONE should look "cute" or "pretty" after a work out. Not even models do.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm new to posting. This was a response to this :

"Women that come in with no make up and any old shirt they pull off the floor.

people that stare at me when im on my phone ....seriously f off"

I agree, it's stupid to put on makeup just for going to the gym. I do however head to the gym after work with my makeup still on haha. I'm usually missing 1/2 my eyebrows by the time I'm done... (I usually like to look in the mirror after just to see how messed up it is and have a laugh haha).
  • AnnMarie518
    Options
    Guys that grunt and drop weights.

AMEN, this drives me nuts!
  • hallie_b
    hallie_b Posts: 181
    Options
    I have to stop reading these types of topics...
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    all those as the original poster... and those that use bad form... not so much the "not sure what I'm doing" bad form... but the "I'm amazing look at me and I don't know what I'm doing bad form"... lol!!! If anyone wants to improve form.. use the videos on www.bodybuilding.com (they have every variation of every exercise on there).. and ask for some feedback! I know I do! =D
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    i dunno if this is really a pet peeve, but i don't understand walking on a treadmill... wouldn't it be more interesting to walk outside? you can walk pretty much anywhere, and theres the whole bonus of a changing environment to keep you interested. i realize you can run outside too but its so much easier to push yourself with the treadmill going at fixed speed.

^ YES. And you're not going to work up a sweat, which is what you bought a pass for to begin with!

It's called intervals and incline... You def. work up a sweat and inclines are something you can't do outside unless you have a ton of hills.

Plus not everyone is a runner.. I only run because walking isn't cutting it anymore calorie wise.. and I so wish it was because running sucks!
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    This is stupid. You sweat off your make up any ways. If you don't, you're not doing a good enough job. NO ONE should look "cute" or "pretty" after a work out. Not even models do.

EDIT: Sorry, I'm new to posting. This was a response to this :

"Women that come in with no make up and any old shirt they pull off the floor.

people that stare at me when im on my phone ....seriously f off"

Thank you! I don't see what it matters if I wear a ratty old t-shirt with no makeup. News to you, I'm not here for YOU to look at me. You can look at me where I'm somewhere else other than the gym.
  • jgilbey
    jgilbey Posts: 79
    Options

almost..but a few more weeks at the gym and I will be..thanks for asking.
    Guess you never vent to any of your friends or family about anything at all..just bottle it all up and swallow the rage..nice..and healthy.

Nah I do. I just feel like People have the right to wear what they want, workout the speed they want, and how they want. They pay the fee and if it was really wrong, someone that works there would tell them to correct it. I have a few pet peeves, but I'm not a bully and lash out at them- just keep them to myself if you want to call it "bottled up" thats fine but I don't let it stress me. I'm sure I do something that might annoy someone else at the gym so I shouldn't get to pissed about others. I'm there for me and will workout how I feel is best for me. Sorry if that annoys you.
  • mdio88
    mdio88 Posts: 1
    Options
    Girls that have fresh make up on!! And people who look scared to sweat!
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    1. The guys coming in looking like Jersey Shore (we call them douche bags) who stand around every machine they "use" and TALK. Non stop. They NEVER LIFT ANYTHING!! WTH? Pick something up and put it back down. And, like the OP said, go get some coffee and chat over that!!

2. People who eek into my workout space. If I am using a platform to jump onto, don't stand 3 inches away from me. Seriously. Get the hell away from me and let me sweat in peace!!!
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    1. Before i had started going to a female only gym, my biggest pet peeve was older men watching me work out.
    I can see you starring in the window! Really makes me feel degraded. I can to work hard not feel like i'm always being watched or criticized for how i work out.

2. Girls who talk on their phone for like 30 mins while sitting on the equipment, get the f^&*k out!

3. When i weight myself on the scale at the gym and i have people come up to be and say I shouldn't worry about my weight I'm skinny enough. Sorry but I don't tell you that you are to dam big to worry about yours! (Sorry that is rude but it really annoys me, mind your own business)

4. The list goes on and on but I will end it here, people who stand behind you waiting for a machine.... I just got on, really? You going to stand behind me? Go stand behind those ladies who have been on the machine for over an hour.

Thanks I feel so much better after venting lol!
  • losingitincollege
    losingitincollege Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    1. The grunting and weight dropping is the worst!

2. People chatting on their cell phones

3. When people play music without headphones

4. The nasty people that don't wipe down the machines.

Those 4 take the cake; everything else really doesn't bother me.
  • ball858
    ball858 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    People that just walk on the treadmill (not even on an incline)

Women NOT wearing sports bra's and letting their tits bounce up and down almost falling out the tank top their wearing.

Men grunting at the top of their voice when lifting (really, do it quietly)

Women in full make up and hair looking like they are about to go out on the tiles.
  • Loko_Ino
    Options
    Nah I do. I just feel like People have the right to wear what they want, workout the speed they want, and how they want. They pay the fee and if it was really wrong, someone that works there would tell them to correct it. I have a few pet peeves, but I'm not a bully and lash out at them- just keep them to myself if you want to call it "bottled up" thats fine but I don't let it stress me. I'm sure I do something that might annoy someone else at the gym so I shouldn't get to pissed about others. I'm there for me and will workout how I feel is best for me. Sorry if that annoys you.

I'm not stressed either..if you read my post, except for the walking around the locker room naked I do most of the guy pet peeves. I grunt, I drop weights, I curl in the squat rack, I use the DB rack for a bench, etc etc.
    In my defense though, I do re-rack my DB and plates all the time, and even re-rack stuff others leave behind.
  • DaisyHamilton
    DaisyHamilton Posts: 575 Member
    Options

If you're offended by any of this, chances are you're one of those people who we're complaining about.