Is total abstention easier than moderation?

Options

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I But I would rather lose less weight per month and actually be able to relax

You realize that the amount of weight you lose per month has nothing to do with your macros right?
  • caffeinekandie
    Options
    For me I've tried and failed with both. As a recovered bulimic I just look at any food as "I can eat it if it fits into my calorie allowance." Sometimes when all I want to do is eat something I'm prone to overeat I consider what else I want to eat that day and if eating that means I can't eat everything else I don't have it. Of course this involves a small amount of planning (I don't write out everything but I think about it when I get up as part of my morning routine).
  • hausisse
    hausisse Posts: 90
    Options
    I went completely cold turkey on added sugars at first until I learned how to control my desire for them!
  • coozine
    coozine Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Abstainer here. I have no willpower. If I eat one cookie, in the next scene the box is gone. My husband and I ate 7 boxes of Girl Scout cookies in less than an hour. Our original plan was: Eat one or two cookies PER night. Keep them in the freezer. Yeah, sure!

This saying for me about sums it up: One is too many, but Twenty is not enough!:happy:

This is why I personally NEVER eat breakfast. Because once I start eating..I. Just. Cannot. Stop!
  • JoRumbles
    JoRumbles Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    I gave up chocolate 7 or eat years ago and I have had none since. Not a drop, not a hot chocolate or even a dusting of cocoa. Nothing.

But I can't give up every unhealthy food so I try to go with moderation for other high fat and sugar foods I like. Nothing makes me binge like chocolate used to.
  • Balance_Breathe
    Options
    This whole discussion is fascinating.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Because, after you've lost weight - then what? Are you going to carry on denying yourself that food or drink?

Actually yes, because maintenance is no different from losing - except you get a slightly higher calorie goal per day. I am only on a modest deficit so when I get to maintenance my diet will be the same as it is now except slightly larger portions.

I never said my way was right or that an abstention was wrong. From my personal experience, denying myself certain foods only led me to get to a certain point and buckle because the craving was so intense. I never binged in the classic sense, but I ate way too much portion wise. I would just find it very hard to maintain a lifestyle where everything was off limits unless I had a specific medical reason (dairy intolerant, for example) to do so.
    You realize that the amount of weight you lose per month has nothing to do with your macros right?

Unless I'm being totally blind, I don't understand why that has anything to do with my post. I never mentioned macros. And actually, I disagree - I tend to lose more weight eating a more protein heavy diet than carb heavy diet.
  • taidasrictar
    taidasrictar Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    i find moderation works for me i still go to fast food and such and get some of the unhealthy things but in moderation and keep it within my daily limit

i am stubborn Capricorn so i maybe that is why it works for me
  • Inshape13
    Inshape13 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    It depends on the type of food if I am a moderator or not....there are certain things that just have disaster written all over them like brownies or Ritz Crackers.(definitely trigger foods that end up being way too tempting to eat too much) Other things like a reese's mini or 2 Hershey kisses I am satisfied with one or two so I guess it just depends on the food.
  • coozine
    coozine Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    [
    Actually yes, because maintenance is no different from losing - except you get a slightly higher calorie goal per day. I am only on a modest deficit so when I get to maintenance my diet will be the same as it is now except slightly larger portions.
    [/

Unless I'm being totally blind, I don't understand why that has anything to do with my post. I never mentioned macros. And actually, I disagree - I tend to lose more weight eating a more protein heavy diet than carb heavy diet.
    [/quote]

I totally agree. I lose weight like crazy when I up my protein and fat and keep my carbs between 25-30 grams per day.
  • yuliyax
    yuliyax Posts: 288
    Options
    I have enough temptation having 4 takeaways and a McDonald's nearby I don't need temptation at home. I am definitely an abstainer. Haha learned a new thing about myself today :) awesome.
    Edit : I don't feel deprived, I'd rather abstain at home and eat in moderation (however hard it is) on social occasions.
  • dictations
    dictations Posts: 199
    Options
    I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE. Moderation would never work for me, abstaining is SO much easier, no pressure whatsoever!
  • Starting__Over
    Options
    I have to abstain. I just don't trust my self control with food.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    “One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.”
    ― Virginia Woolf, A Room of One's Own
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    “There is no love sincerer than the love of food.”
    ― George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    “The only time to eat diet food is while you're waiting for the steak to cook.”
    ― Julia Child
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    “Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside.”
    ― Mark Twain
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    “We must have a pie. Stress cannot exist in the presence of a pie.”
    ― David Mamet, Boston Marriage
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    “your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.”
    ― Anthony Bourdain, Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly
  • etoiles_argentees
    Options
    annnd I'll finish with this.

“Life itself is the proper binge.”
    ― Julia Child