Is anyone training for something specific?

Options
167891012»

Replies

• jmcdaniel0
    jmcdaniel0 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Stupid as it sounds. I was in the Military for a long time, and when i came out, I absolutely hated the thought of running. Of course, genius me, I didn't change my eating habits... So I quickly ballooned up into the big guy that I am now. I didn't really notice just how big I had gotten, until I went to a Theme park with my family, and got kicked off of a ride because it wouldn't buckle. Now this is a ride that any other time, I would have fit in with room to spare.

So, I am losing weight, because I couldn't fit into theme park ride. It was the kick in the pants i need to realize how far I had let myself go.
  • jackthehack
    jackthehack Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm a competitive tournament tennis player that has held regional and national rankings in the past. However, I don't feel like I'm playing up to my potential because I haven't been in fantastic shape since my mid-20s. I turned 40 this year, and I may have lost a step just from aging, so the extra 25+ pounds I'm carrying right now are only making it worse. Also, my son took a picture of me playing in a tournament last summer and I looked like a small whale carrying a tennis racquet! Enough is enough!

Before discovering the MFP website, I had already lost 25 lbs since last summer, but had hit a plateau a couple months ago. However, I feel like my college playing weight is within sight and manageable if I can just maintain discipline throughout this summer. I did a web search and found this site as a way to help with this quest, and I started logging on here last Monday.

My goal is to lose 25 lbs by the Labor Day weekend, which would make me 50 lbs total lighter than that time last year. Along the way, I've got a couple mileposts. There is a big local tournament in mid-July, where I hope to be mid-way to my goal. On Labor Day weekend, there is another tournament where I hope to celebrate. For maintenance after I reach my goal, there are also tournaments in September, October, and November. The culiminating event is the National Hardcourt Championships for my age group in December. I hope to be looking and playing as close to my potential at that time, and that weight and fitness will not be a factor holding me back.

Eating the right foods (in the right portions) and exercising hard every day is difficult and takes self discipline. Therefore, I have to have a specific goal in mind (a carrot) in order to stay motivated and moving forward. Gearing towards these tournaments works as the carrot. However, I also know that I'll get a host of additional benefits as well: better health, better appearance, more energy, pride from my kids & spouse, etc.
  • gchutson
    gchutson Posts: 657
    Options
    I'm a competitive tournament tennis player that has held regional and national rankings in the past. However, I don't feel like I'm playing up to my potential because I haven't been in fantastic shape since my mid-20s. I turned 40 this year, and I may have lost a step just from aging, so the extra 25+ pounds I'm carrying right now are only making it worse. Also, my son took a picture of me playing in a tournament last summer and I looked like a small whale carrying a tennis racquet! Enough is enough!

Before discovering the MFP website, I had already lost 25 lbs since last summer, but had hit a plateau a couple months ago. However, I feel like my college playing weight is within sight and manageable if I can just maintain discipline throughout this summer. I did a web search and found this site as a way to help with this quest, and I started logging on here last Monday.

My goal is to lose 25 lbs by the Labor Day weekend, which would make me 50 lbs total lighter than that time last year. Along the way, I've got a couple mileposts. There is a big local tournament in mid-July, where I hope to be mid-way to my goal. On Labor Day weekend, there is another tournament where I hope to celebrate. For maintenance after I reach my goal, there are also tournaments in September, October, and November. The culiminating event is the National Hardcourt Championships for my age group in December. I hope to be looking and playing as close to my potential at that time, and that weight and fitness will not be a factor holding me back.

Eating the right foods (in the right portions) and exercising hard every day is difficult and takes self discipline. Therefore, I have to have a specific goal in mind (a carrot) in order to stay motivated and moving forward. Gearing towards these tournaments works as the carrot. However, I also know that I'll get a host of additional benefits as well: better health, better appearance, more energy, pride from my kids & spouse, etc.

That's very admirable, and thanks for the post.

Personally, I just like punching people. ;)
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    a sports specfic and fitness and body building photoshoot....ooofduh.

yay for fitness and bodybuilding photoshoot! Have fun!

Why don't they ever have a "big scary attorney" photo shoot?

whose to say they don't?
  • gchutson
    Options
    a sports specfic and fitness and body building photoshoot....ooofduh.

yay for fitness and bodybuilding photoshoot! Have fun!

Why don't they ever have a "big scary attorney" photo shoot?

whose to say they don't?

They don't. Trust me. No love for the big scary attorneys.
  • lynnetted43
    lynnetted43 Posts: 252
    Options
    im training for a figure competition in the fall!!
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Ironman New Zealand - March 2013 :happy:
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    10 K- but I did that this past weekend! Now onto the next goal...half marathon!
  • fjrandol
    fjrandol Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I have nothing but respect for marathoners. Being that I'm built like a tank, marathons aren't really my thing.

If I'm running 28 miles, it's probably because zombies have taken-over, and I'm out of ammo. ;)

well then, here the goal for you: http://runforyourlives.com/ :smile:

As far as training goes, planning to run the Tinkerbell half with my sister. Wheee! http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/tinker-bell-half-marathon/

Also looking at a half marathon in October: http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/los-angeles but I don't know if I'll be quite ready by then. :smile:
  • gchutson
    Options
    I have nothing but respect for marathoners. Being that I'm built like a tank, marathons aren't really my thing.

If I'm running 28 miles, it's probably because zombies have taken-over, and I'm out of ammo. ;)

well then, here the goal for you: http://runforyourlives.com/ :smile:

As far as training goes, planning to run the Tinkerbell half with my sister. Wheee! http://espnwwos.disney.go.com/events/rundisney/tinker-bell-half-marathon/

Also looking at a half marathon in October: http://runrocknroll.competitor.com/los-angeles but I don't know if I'll be quite ready by then. :smile:

THAT I could get into. That looks fun as hell.
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    iHEARTcardiacnurses Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    218635756880399758_yiIeohqs_c.jpg
  • gchutson
    Options
    218635756880399758_yiIeohqs_c.jpg

Ha.
  • Runs4CupCakes
    Options
    tough mudder in oct. 12 miles- and a color run in sep 3.2 miles...pretty much so i can be A hot wife :)...
  • dolphin21
    dolphin21 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Just finished the Tough Mudder in Colorado (yesterday), and now I'm training for a sprint distance triathlon, then possibly the Tough Mudder in Missouri after that. If not, then Tough Mudder Colorado in 2013 and an olympic distance triathlon in 2013 as well.

Awesme!! Im doing mine in So Cal Running Springs! How did u train for yours? Im doing Insanity and BootCamps workouts! What do u where and what do u bring with u for the mud run? thax!!
  • jenniferjoan44
    Options
    I'm training for the Marine Corps 10k! Just booked my flight and hostel for race weekend :D
  • cmhollis1
    cmhollis1 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    A friend at work asked me the same question after seeing all of my workouts posted on Facebook. I replied "I am training to not be a fat *kitten*."