just doing cardio

Options

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    so why isn't it considered strength when they are the same moves?

Because they are based around cardio. P90X is a strength training program, chalean extreme is a strength training program. Also stuff like strong lift 5x5 or new rules of lifting for women would all be strength training. And all done at home. Also, you eant to tone up which is cutting fat or cutting.
  • Steph70508
    Steph70508 Posts: 110
    Options
    Through my own personal weight loss experiences I found that doing cardio only resulted in a smaller version of my lumpy self. I didn't actually change my shape until I added weights <
    not an expert in fitness, but I've lost a small person in my lifetime! (once weighed over 250lbs)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Fat loss comes from calorie deficit. Be consistent and the fat will come off.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

you seem best to answer a question that's been plaguing me...should I net 1200 everyday to lose weight regardless of workouts? I know they say to eat exercise cals back but I'm not really noticing weightless but I have lost inches. any advice is great!

Its quite possible you need to net higher. What is better to do is estimate your tdee (including exercise) and then cut 20%.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    now only if i could afford one of those programs... sigh
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

you seem best to answer a question that's been plaguing me...should I net 1200 everyday to lose weight regardless of workouts? I know they say to eat exercise cals back but I'm not really noticing weightless but I have lost inches. any advice is great!

Its quite possible you need to net higher. What is better to do is estimate your tdee (including exercise) and then cut 20%.
  • mommyweighless
    mommyweighless Posts: 192 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

that's what I have done and it gave me a free-20% of 1715. So I should net the 1715 even on days I exercise?
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    P90X is a strength training program,
    No it's not.
  • FlyeredUp
    FlyeredUp Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    No it's not.
    Yep I do P-90X for my cardio, It's not a strength training program
  • psuLemon
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

that's what I have done and it gave me a free-20% of 1715. So I should net the 1715 even on days I exercise?
    you arent supposed to net that. Thats gross calories
  • psuLemon
    Options
    No it's not.

We will have to agree to disagree. Because any program designed to gain mass, which many people have, i would consider ST. Either way its not relevant to the arguement.
  • nick1109
    nick1109 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Through my own personal weight loss experiences I found that doing cardio only resulted in a smaller version of my lumpy self. I didn't actually change my shape until I added weights <
    not an expert in fitness, but I've lost a small person in my lifetime! (once weighed over 250lbs)

Agree
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,714 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Can't really tell you if I don't know stats. PM me.

IDEA Fitness member
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I always considered walking as "exercise and fresh air time"! Cardio-as in cardiovascular- means to me working your heart just as much as your muscles. But then you can walk fast and hard enough to ramp up your heart rate so yes walking like that is "Cardio". A little stroll through the mall window shopping is not cardio.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    In all reality, does anyone know a person that is cut/fit by just walking? Walking won't cut it. Stength training is where you will cut fat. If you only have 30 minutes, you can always do a program like "10 minute trainer".

I know a lot of people that are fit and have a healthy BF% just from walking. "Cut" is not necessary to be fit.
  • mcrowe1016
    mcrowe1016 Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I always considered walking as "exercise and fresh air time"! Cardio-as in cardiovascular- means to me working your heart just as much as your muscles. But then you can walk fast and hard enough to ramp up your heart rate so yes walking like that is "Cardio". A little stroll through the mall window shopping is not cardio.

This pretty much sums up how I see it as well.

(Sorry OP....futher derailing your post :ohwell: )
  • jcmartin0313
    jcmartin0313 Posts: 574 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Why is there any argument? This advice is the best and most sound!
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    No it's not.

We will have to agree to disagree. Because any program designed to gain mass, which many people have, i would consider ST. Either way its not relevant to the arguement.
    It's not designed to gain mass. More of the opposite actually, in the long run (although that will depend). And gaining strength and gaining mass are not exactly the same thing anyway.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    No it's not.

It's not designed to gain mass. More of the opposite actually, in the long run (although that will depend). And gaining strength and gaining mass are not exactly the same thing anyway.

Oh I agree, it is definitely more conducive towards fat loss than muscle growth and that is what I use it for. And I know BB is working on a program that is dedicated to increasing lean body mass.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    In all reality, does anyone know a person that is cut/fit by just walking? Walking won't cut it. Stength training is where you will cut fat. If you only have 30 minutes, you can always do a program like "10 minute trainer".

I know a lot of people that are fit and have a healthy BF% just from walking. "Cut" is not necessary to be fit.

Let me clarify, I don't know any guy that is 6-10% body fat from just walking or a woman that is around 14-18%.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Options
    No it's not.

Oh I agree, it is definitely more conducive towards fat loss than muscle growth and that is what I use it for. And I know BB is working on a program that is dedicated to increasing lean body mass.
    By the opposite I meant it's conducive toward muscle loss as well :P. But yeah, fat loss too, assuming you are in a deficit.