just doing cardio

Options
12346»

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    so why isn't it considered strength when they are the same moves?
    P90X is a strength training program,
    No it's not.

We will have to agree to disagree. Because any program designed to gain mass, which many people have, i would consider ST. Either way its not relevant to the arguement.
    It's not designed to gain mass. More of the opposite actually, in the long run (although that will depend). And gaining strength and gaining mass are not exactly the same thing anyway.

Oh I agree, it is definitely more conducive towards fat loss than muscle growth and that is what I use it for. And I know BB is working on a program that is dedicated to increasing lean body mass.
    By the opposite I meant it's conducive toward muscle loss as well :P. But yeah, fat loss too, assuming you are in a deficit.

I would agree that it's conducive to muscle loss if you aren't eating enough calories (really that goes to say for any program that exerts a lot of calories and you don't eat enough). I have tracked my lean body mass throughout (eating 2600-3000 calories) and have zero LBM loss but 6% body fat loss.
  • Glucocorticoid
    Glucocorticoid Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    so why isn't it considered strength when they are the same moves?
    P90X is a strength training program,
    No it's not.

We will have to agree to disagree. Because any program designed to gain mass, which many people have, i would consider ST. Either way its not relevant to the arguement.
    It's not designed to gain mass. More of the opposite actually, in the long run (although that will depend). And gaining strength and gaining mass are not exactly the same thing anyway.

Oh I agree, it is definitely more conducive towards fat loss than muscle growth and that is what I use it for. And I know BB is working on a program that is dedicated to increasing lean body mass.
    By the opposite I meant it's conducive toward muscle loss as well :P. But yeah, fat loss too, assuming you are in a deficit.

I would agree that it's conducive to muscle loss if you aren't eating enough calories (really that goes to say for any program that exerts a lot of calories and you don't eat enough). I have tracked my lean body mass throughout (eating 2600-3000 calories) and have zero LBM loss but 6% body fat loss.

Generally speaking, an extreme deficit usually has a higher possibility of muscle loss versus a more conservative deficit, yeah. And your experience does not equal everyone else's. There's plenty of people that combine it with very low deficits, and low levels of protein and/or carbs on top of that (I've seen this). Their accompanied nutrition plan isn't very specific.

In a lot of ways it's just circuit training, which is not optimal (by itself) - it's a mediocre way to build both strength and endurance simultaneously without doing either very well. The main flaw is that it lacks the high tension muscle stimulus required to optimally preserve LBM in a deficit. I'm not saying every person that does it will definitely lose signifcant amounts of LBM (it's going to depend on a lot of factors), but it's certainly not the best program for muscle retention on a diet.

Not to mention that the whole program is built upon a bunch of nonsense (muscle confusion). There's a lot of silly aspects to it, but I will agree that it's better than most do-it-at-home programs, and it's certainly a good way for the average person to be forced to get off their butt and be active.