What drives you CRAZY about your gym??

Options
There have been threads about what people do at the gym that drive you crazy, but does anyone have any pet peeves about the gym itself???

I'm peeved that I emailed a personal trainer at my gym asking a question about reducing body fat and losing weight at the same time. He replied that I am welcome to ask questions, but he needs to be careful not to give out "free services" for something they generally charge for.

SERIOUSLY?? I can't ask a fitness question to someone who works at a gym??? He didn't even answer the question!!!

Replies

• octoberk
    octoberk Posts: 4
    Options
    My pet peeve is when they allow too many people into the group exercise classes. I worry about safety and now effective will your workout be if you are packed in like sardines!
  • stfuriada
    stfuriada Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    1) People who sit around FOREVER on machines/benches fiddling with their phones. If you want to text/Tweet/post on Facebook/Make a new playlist, GTFO the machine! Resting for up to 2 mins is fine, but don't hog the damn things, people want to use it!

2) People who don't wipe down their sweat after using machines/benches
  • Sam3622
    Sam3622 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Omg haha, he seems pretty rude! My pet peeve from the gym is when the trainers working there come over and talk to you while your working out. They are really nice but when i go to the gym i like to be on my own with my ear phones in!
  • Sharyn913
    Sharyn913 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Omg haha, he seems pretty rude! My pet peeve from the gym is when the trainers working there come over and talk to you while your working out. They are really nice but when i go to the gym i like to be on my own with my ear phones in!

At least the trainers in your gym will speak to you without you having to pay $100+ a month!! LOL
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    It's probably a bad way of phrasing it but which other professionals would you expect to give away the service that they earn their living with? He's probably self employed, and allowed to work at the gym.
  • Sharyn913
    Options
    It's probably a bad way of phrasing it but which other professionals would you expect to give away the service that they earn their living with? He's probably self employed, and allowed to work at the gym.

He is actually the head of the personal training department at the gym. The gym offers a free body composition analysis and they will measure your body fat, VO2 levels, etc. He had given me my print out at the end of the session, gave me his card, and gave me pricing if I wanted to sign up for personal training. The cost is over $100 per month for 3 sessions, but they occasionally run deals where it is $99. I told him flat out, in a nice way, that at this time, I could not afford it. I told him if I hit a plateau and see no results, I will reevaluate my decision. My guess is that he realized he would not be making money off of me in the near future and decided it was not worth his time to spend on me.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty happy with my gym, though it would be nice if they could find a way to circulate the air in there a bit. On hot summer days, it's like a sauna filled with urine. Blech.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I hate when I get dirty looks for videoing the cute ladies on the treadmills
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    My gym opens @ 5:00 am weekdays, but not until 8:00 am on weekends. I wish they opened earlier. Maybe 4 am every day.
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    There's only one thing I hate about my gym. I hate that there aren't any big fans moving the air around in the cardio area. It gets ridiculously hot when there are a lot of people doing cardio. Some fans would make it much more bearable.
  • ecn810
    ecn810 Posts: 10
    Options
    Wet towels left in the locker room, shaving in the showers (not just the face. Gross!!! ) and not wiping off the equipment after leaving a gallon of perspiration.
  • johnnys30
    johnnys30 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    No water fountain, only a vending machine that takes paper or coin only.
  • Nataliethin81
    Options
    There have been threads about what people do at the gym that drive you crazy, but does anyone have any pet peeves about the gym itself???

I'm peeved that I emailed a personal trainer at my gym asking a question about reducing body fat and losing weight at the same time. He replied that I am welcome to ask questions, but he needs to be careful not to give out "free services" for something they generally charge for.

SERIOUSLY?? I can't ask a fitness question to someone who works at a gym??? He didn't even answer the question!!!

The trainers at FF are a joke. They aren't REAL trainers! Haha
  • Carp614
    Carp614 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is unhappy people in the gym. Some of you do this:

You go in all focused on what you have to do...some with headphones, some without...and you look right through everyone as if they don't exist.

Is a smail and a wave really going to break up your zone thing that much? I don't think so.

Headphones or no, I am glad to be alive and able to get on a machine and do some work. I say hello, I smile and wave. Sometimes I even (heaven forbid) strike up an actual conversation.

Stop taking yourselves so seriously people.
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options

You go in all focused on what you have to do...some with headphones, some without...and you look right through everyone as if they don't exist.

Is a smail and a wave really going to break up your zone thing that much? I don't think so.

Headphones or no, I am glad to be alive and able to get on a machine and do some work. I say hello, I smile and wave. Sometimes I even (heaven forbid) strike up an actual conversation.

For the most part, I do exactly that. I'm there to get my workout in and get out. Don't bother me. :tongue:
  • Sharyn913
    Options

I'm a very happy person but my pet peeve is when older men start to hit on me at the gym and I can't complete my work out. THEN I'm unhappy!

LOL I'm just messin with you! It doesn't make me mad, although I just want to get IN, do my thing, and GET OUT!
  • azrose81
    azrose81 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That it doesn't have kid watch on Sundays and that it closes early on the weekends.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    The fact that if you forget your swipe card they refuse to let you in.

Oh and as above, closes early on the weekend
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I think people keep to themselves too much. Everyone has a TV right in front of them and headphones on, and the trainers that walk the floor only initiate conversations with whomever happens to be the prettiest girl at that time.
  • turningstar
    turningstar Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    That they don't open till 9 on Saturday, closed on Sunday, and the water from the water fountain tastes like they siphoned it from the pool. Yuck. I did only pay $119 for 14 months though, so I can't complain too much!