What drives you CRAZY about your gym??

Options

Replies

• BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    9am opening on weekends and unfriendly staff.

There is also a wave machine that about 80% of the people who use it are doing it wrong, and they never tell them. Surely if you're paid to work there, actually work, don't just stand at the desk chatting.

It's cheap though and has everything I need so can't complain too much.
  • ashleygonzalez1
    Options
    Our gym could totally use a larger stretching area. Other than that, it's great!

* I smile and wave as much as possible but I don't strike up conversations... I only have 45 minutes a day to squeeze in a workout so I get in and get it done!
  • thetrishwarp
    thetrishwarp Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Reading through this board I'm realizing how much I LOVE my gym.

Big fans, caps on group exercise participation, ample space, reasonable hours (for me, anyways, they've never been closed when I've wanted to workout), personal training is really inexpensive, there are lots of weights to go around, a lot of people there are around my age (campus gym), and people tend to be very courteous and polite!

Given, it's my campus gym, so I only have access for the 8 months I'm at school, but it's a wonderful, brand new facility. I feel like the amount I pay in tuition etc means we student sort of deserve it.

Maybe I don't like that you have to call in to book the squash courts in advance? You can't just walk in and sign one out. :S That's the only thing I can think of.
  • chantaljl
    chantaljl Posts: 21
    Options
    I've spoken to a couple of the clerks at the gym, one seperate occasions about receiving a free body composition analysis. They wrote down my name and number and told me that they would provide this information to someone in charge and that they would be in contact with me to make an appointment.
    I have yet to receive a phone call. I am very frustrated with the lack of follow up from my fitness club.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    There's only one thing I hate about my gym. I hate that there aren't any big fans moving the air around in the cardio area. It gets ridiculously hot when there are a lot of people doing cardio.
    LOL @ this because mine is that there are big fans moving air around and they are very loud!

I go to a community center and my other issue is that the hours suck. I guess I could change to 10 fitness but the place I go now is very cozy (but not open on Sundays).

The personal trainer gives unsolicited advice and chit chat all the time. I think he hopes I'll sign up at some point.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    i joined the ex-bally's la fitness 10 minutes from home instead of the one 3 minutes away because the close one is light, airy, open spaced.. has the cardio smack dab in the center of the room...and does have an LA feel to it. the one i joined (and is closing at end of month) is dingy, dark, has cardio around the sides of the room under the track, has separate rooms with less windows for group class and a whole separate section for free weights.. plus lots of side space where I could go and stretch and cool down and be out of sight. they had an older clientele, fewer gym bunnies... it felt more 'mature' and comfortable, but I'll have to adjust.. close my eyes, go in and get the job done.... sigh.
  • BronnersHarris
    BronnersHarris Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    When girls work out with their hair down. If you are sweating and/or working hard, that is NOT comfortable.
    Also, people who work out in jeans. Just, why?

I always think that about girls with their hair down. My hair still touches my back when it's up (very long) and it bugs me if I can feel it hitting my neck.

I'm shocked about jeans?!?!?! On machines?!?! I'd laugh out loud, honestly!
  • peterdt
    peterdt Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Some lady sat down next to me and had her radio phone cranked up for about 20 minutes while working out. After she was done left both her towels behind. Just rude I guess.

But most people I find to be open to chatting a bit and welcome a good conversation over the monotony of the workout. I have made quite a few friends that way.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    My "gym" is in our barn...which is awesome except for the birds that sneak in and try to either crap on or dive bomb me.

My treadmill is our gravel lane. The corn growing on both sides kinda reminds me of that movie Signs, which somewhat freaks me out and makes me run faster.

BUT there's no lines and it's open all the time.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    I saw a guy lifting in flip flops today.

What drives me crazy - 2 things:

1. people who encroach into my space. I mean, if the whole floor area is available, why the hell are you practically in my armpit?

2. *kitten* who stand around and talk. They never lift ANYTHING. Freekin leave then.

I feel better getting that off my chest. LOL

ETA: AND DON'T HOLD ON TO THE CARDIO MACHINE. SERIOUSLY.
  • AlmondTheGreat
    Options
    My gym is full of steroid junkies, being all natural and working hard for my gains it obviously bugs me...
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I hate they have no classes on the weekends except in the morning. I could attend many more classes if they offered some on weekend afternoons/evenings.
    This. Who the heck wants to get up for an 830 class on Saturday?! Well, when that's the only class worth taking ALL WEEKEND... sigh.
  • GasMasterFlash
    GasMasterFlash Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    And...?
  • kierstin1976
    kierstin1976 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is unhappy people in the gym. Some of you do this:

You go in all focused on what you have to do...some with headphones, some without...and you look right through everyone as if they don't exist.

Is a smail and a wave really going to break up your zone thing that much? I don't think so.

Headphones or no, I am glad to be alive and able to get on a machine and do some work. I say hello, I smile and wave. Sometimes I even (heaven forbid) strike up an actual conversation.

Stop taking yourselves so seriously people.

I'm very guilty of this because I want to get in and then get out of there, don't have time for interruptions. That's why I do most of my workout at home. It drives me crazy to see people on the treadmill or the elliptical talking on their phone the whole time.
  • amsparky
    amsparky Posts: 825 Member
    Options
    And...?

It just struck me as odd, that's all. :)
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    My pets. They never leave me alone. Don't get me started when the dogs start licking my face when I am in the downward dog pose or trying to do a plank! LOL

And then my cats? They like to use my yoga mat as a scratching post, or stretch out and take a nap on it...lol

(oh, my gym is in my living room...lol)
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    Girls who wear makeup, jewelry and perfume to the gym (and especially when they ride the elliptical for 10 minutes slloooowwwly and then they are done). My gym is on the college campus....you can imagine what I see in there lol.

Or people who wear hardly anything at all

People who don't wipe the machines down after they use it.

People who want to strike up a conversation while I'm working out. Sorry, but at 6 am, I'm pretty antisocial lol
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I hate it when people interrupt my workout to talk to me. It drives me INSANE! Also there's an annoying older lady who goes to the gym in the morning and calls my husband and I Mr. and Mrs. Fit which is fine but please stop telling me that you used to look like me when you were my age and that you don't any more and you never will. Perhaps if you put some effort into your workout you would lose weight and look good again.

People who take up the benches/machines to just sit there and chit chat.

People who take the plates from the smith machine without asking whether or not we're using them.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    My pet peeve is unhappy people in the gym. Some of you do this:

You go in all focused on what you have to do...some with headphones, some without...and you look right through everyone as if they don't exist.

Is a smail and a wave really going to break up your zone thing that much? I don't think so.

Headphones or no, I am glad to be alive and able to get on a machine and do some work. I say hello, I smile and wave. Sometimes I even (heaven forbid) strike up an actual conversation.

Stop taking yourselves so seriously people.

This is so me. Even my best buddies hate working out with me because I'm focused on getting my workout f'n over. I hate working out plus I'm so out of breath I can't say anything anyways.
  • simplyliving
    Options
    Wow, lots of complaints here. LOL!

I must be the only one that belongs to a gym I love going to. Ha Ha!

People do things I have no control over and I don't wait around for people sitting on machines texting. You can pretty much do any exercise in numerous ways. So if somebody is hogging the sitting calf raise machine, I will head over to the stairs where people don't stand around and I will do calf raises off the steps! I love to improvise!

The gym I go to is a family gym / gymnastics center. They are always doing things to improve the gym. The folks working there are friendly and will offer advice any time you ask. They are their to help people get healthy. They will weigh you, take measurements, and do body fat calculations for you when you want it to be done. So if you plan every 2 weeks for stats to be taken, they are happy to do it. They keep track of everything in your file. The trainers are not pushy at all. All the class instructors are friendly and open. If classes become popular and it seems as if the room gets too crowded, then they start a sign up sheet for only a specific number of people for safety capacity reasons. The bathrooms are clean and don't smell funky. The best part of my gym is that healthy meals are ready for you after you workout if you want them. You just have to place the order online and tell them what day(s) you want them ready. There is a small meal or large meal option and they are super healthy and tasty. I will cry if my gym every closes down.