"It's SIMPLE! Burn more than you consume!" (B.S.)

Options

Replies

• ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I don't recall ever saying "science is a lie!"
    Physics says if you burn more than you consume, you have to lose weight. You apparently disagree.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    perhaps ranting to your own personal friends would have been a better choice-since your not looking for opinions or advice

pointless
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    I also want to add that I find you guys (responders) hilarious. I personally find this site entertaining as hell.

(I have also found so much support and advice here so it may be more the approach you take when posting, then the other people here).

I have quite a few "friends" here that have also complained about the nasty responses they get when posting to the forums...it's commonplace for some people. Some of us just attract them! :D
  • Mindmovesbody
    Mindmovesbody Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Your body has adapted. That's what causes plateaus. You need to vary your exercise and cycle your calories to start losing again.

But, as you said, you don't care about my (educated) opinion, so you can just ignore this and keep sticking your fingers and your ears and saying, "Lalalalalalalala."

Your anecdote is not fact. Please stop spreading the wrong information and calling science a lie.

HIGH FIVE!!!!
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    perhaps ranting to your own personal friends would have been a better choice-since your not looking for opinions or advice

pointless

Probably - but then I wouldn't have given you something to point out that it was pointless, now would I?
  • senyosmom
    senyosmom Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba!
  • ramgi
    ramgi Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I could tell you were just venting. I did Zumba for the first time last week Thursday. I loved it! I will try and go again soon:-) If you're already fit it gets tougher to continue to lose the weight.
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    Two things:

1. It is as simple as burn more calories then you consume. Or should I say, consume less calories then you burn. It's simply impossible to not burn fat by doing that. It's doing it right that people find hard. Unless of course you're starving yourself and you're body goes into "starvation mode". But even then it will take several days of eating far too few nutrients to do that.

2. People who tell you that you've hit a "plataeu" because your body has gotten used to doing certain exercises or from eating a calorie deficit are talking total bull**** and need to re-assess their knowledge. Again, it's almost scientifically impossible to eat less calories than you burn and not lose fat

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with anything you've said here - but THIS is exactly what I was talking about! Point #2 - the "plateau" thing - how many people have already stated that already in this thread?

Bunch of different opinions - and personalities!

(Too much fun!)
  • dynamicwon
    dynamicwon Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Sorry but my guess is you are not eating enough . I went through the same thing and wasnt eating enough. I'm sorry I couldnt read all the post but you could wear an HRM if you are not to get an accurate reading of how many calories you burn teaching Zumba
  • bigd65
    bigd65 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Actually it is that simple. But thanks for sharing your opinion I suppose.

^^^^^^ right on. enough said
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    HayGuysWhatsGoingOnInThisThread.jpg
  • TheNewo
    TheNewo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Alright...let's simmer down all....
    I think we've all been frustrated a time or two in life.

Melicious, you're right. It doesn't seem simple at all. And everyone loses different ways, unfortunately the hard part is finding what is most effective for YOU in particular. Even more challenging is that something can change over time.
    Whether or not anyone chose to put it nicely, but it does seem your body has adapted to zumba and it may help to shake things up.
    zig zag calories, try weightlifting, change something about your diet that maybe hindering you (example switch to clean eating/non processed foods)
    best of luck :flowerforyou:
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It's called a variable. Your hormones, birth control, or medications can all affect your bodies ability to shed weight. Additionally, under consumption can provide similar affects. On top of that, people can be intolerant to certain foods (yeah allergies) and at some point, your body doesn't want to drop weight. You dont' appear overweight, so maybe your body is saying GFY, and I will not lose any more.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-big-caloric-deficits-and-lots-of-activity-can-hurt-fat-loss.html
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Actually, what she said wasn't wrong - anymore than you were or were not.

If you wanna go "lalalallalalalala" how's about it ( as in go ahead) but don't call it science either way with limited facts.

And yes, 20 people could very easily generate 10 different results. The same person could generate different results from one weight loss to the next...

Age, race, fitness levels, muscle development, breathing isues, sleep patterns, types of food, developing hormonal issues, the amount of weight you have lost, and much more all contribute...off meds, on meds, colds, disease...it all an affect this.

Your body can burn fat (or muscle) but can hold on to nurtients, trace minerals, water and not all lipids go away, and the fat we burn can be stored in other ways - that is why you can continue to lose size and not lose weight.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    OK, I wasn't going to post to this, but I can't bear it anymore. I understand biologics are complex systems that can be difficult to completely define...

However, they can only "fool" the laws of physics for a short period of time. The 2nd law of thermodynamics (yeah, I said it) pretty much says that you can't gain weight unless you are burning less than you consume.

Your body (and your measurement systems) can fool it for a week, maybe two, or longer if your measurements are off, but over time, if you burn more than you consume, you will lose weight until you are out of fat reserves, then die. (don't go that far!)

For more info, look up the 2nd law of thermo and perpetual motion.
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Well, while I was typing that several people said it in several good ways, enough said, guess-pose - 'kay???
  • tasinda_wechange
    Options
    Oh I went through similar frustrations a couple of weeks ago. Came back to My Fitness Pal a month or so ago, aggressively started watching my cals, exercising every day. This time my husband decided to do it with me.

So in 2 1/2 weeks he lost *17 FREAKIN' POUNDS and I lose two for a day, then GAINED THEM BACK!

Frustrated doesn't begin to express my emotions.

I was in tears the day I stepped on the scale and saw I'd gained the measly two pounds back again. Why, I complained bitterly and loudly, WHY BOTHER? If I was fat (over 200 pounds) and sedentary and eating 3 to 4 THOUSAND calories a day (estimated) BEFORE coming back here, then cut back to 1200 or LESS cals and exercised a least a half an hour a day, at least 5-6 days a week, wouldn't I lose something? I mean, c'mon! As fat as I am? Not a pound lost?

I even checked the scale we have against the doctor scale at the gym; nope, my scale was accurate.

NO
    FAIR!

But I kept plugging away because honestly, what else was I going to do with all the homemade healthy meals I'd frozen and written the exact calories on the ziplock bags and those mason jar salads I've grown to love, etc., etc.

I even love the walks now.

Now I've lost 5 pounds since I've come back. :) And although my weighing day is Friday, I can tell by my clothes I've lost even more.

It just took more than a few weeks for my body to react, I guess. Maybe your body is going through something similar and that's why it's taking longer. But you will lose eventually, there is no way it doesn't work, so I hope you keep at it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options

pointless

Probably - but then I wouldn't have given you something to point out that it was pointless, now would I?

Statements like this and all I hear is "Hi I'm a troll! And I just posted this because I knew it would piss someone off."
  • ccllnply
    ccllnply Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Two things:

1. It is as simple as burn more calories then you consume. Or should I say, consume less calories then you burn. It's simply impossible to not burn fat by doing that. It's doing it right that people find hard. Unless of course you're starving yourself and you're body goes into "starvation mode". But even then it will take several days of eating far too few nutrients to do that.

2. People who tell you that you've hit a "plataeu" because your body has gotten used to doing certain exercises or from eating a calorie deficit are talking total bull**** and need to re-assess their knowledge. Again, it's almost scientifically impossible to eat less calories than you burn and not lose fat

I'm not saying that I agree or disagree with anything you've said here - but THIS is exactly what I was talking about! Point #2 - the "plateau" thing - how many people have already stated that already in this thread?

Bunch of different opinions - and personalities!

(Too much fun!)

No offence, but if you don't like it, why did you bother posting? Are you just looking for it so you can complain about it?

As for the plataeu thing, what I said is pretty much common sense, or at least it should be
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Options
    I've talked to 2 different general practictioners and 3 different nutritionists (as well as 2 different certified personal/group fitness instructors) who all have different opinions. There is so much scientific information out there that contradicts so much OTHER sicentific information that to try to sort through it all is quite a daunting task. Please try not to take is personally that the opinion of one person (you) that I didn't happen to even know existed when I wrote this post doesn't impress me much at this point.

And if you talk to twenty more, you'll get at least thirty more opinions.

The problem is that the math is simple, but filling in the variables to feed that math is anything but simple in some fringe cases.

And since you exercise a LOT, and specifically a lot of repeat performances of the same exercise, you represent a fringe case that's hard to stuff into the averages like the rest of us sedentary little snowflakes. I go to my doctor, he can estimate the calories I burn sitting on my *kitten* all day very easily to within 500 calories. Hell, I don't even need a doctor to tell me that.

You're a tougher biological nut (not nutcase, that's a separate thread) to crack. You work out insane amounts, but since your muscles are so tuned to the specific exercises you do, I suspect in my unedumkated opinion that you already have too much of that you are simply not burning the calories you think you are any more, and they are slowly creeping down every day. When you got your certification in February, you were probably burning X calories, and now you are burning Y, where Y is significantly smaller than X.

Since you can't go by averages and there's really no good way to perfectly calculate caloric burn, you have to go by experimentation. Each experiment is going to take several weeks to a month, minimum, to show results. Changing more than one variable at a time might muddle the results by masking things that are or are not working. And, of course, since you've been doing the professional teaching for fewer than 6 months, the rules might keep changing on you.

Personally, having not seen your diary, I can't give you any advice that would be useful other than experiment, experiment, experiment. If your macros are not in balance, get them there, with a bias toward higher protein because that is used to build and maintain muscle. If your sugars or sodium are high, get them down. If you aren't drinking lots of water, start. All things that you probably know already.

Most of all, be patient. You're doing a lot of Zumba, and your profile picture is of an attractive, fit person. I don't know your current weight or your goal, or your body fat percentage, but you may be closer to an ideal weight than you think.
This discussion has been closed.