"It's SIMPLE! Burn more than you consume!" (B.S.)

Options

Replies

• BoydLabBuck
    BoydLabBuck Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Good Calories, Bad Calories by Gary Taubes.

Get through that and tell me it's as simple as in & out.

Other than the section on the lipid hypothesis, the rest is a bunch of garbage

...says the skinny guy that's never had an issue with weight.

Explain why study after study cited and reviewed is "a bunch of garbage."
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Why? If it's as simple as burning more than I consume then wtf do I have to shake ANYthing up?

Because the rate that you're burning has changed. As you adapt to an exercise you burn less calories doing it.

It IS as simple as burning more than you eat. The hard part is that you have to know exactly how much you are burning and that will change over time.

...even so you still should be losing SOMETHING. If someone is eating at a deficit and their exercise is just creating more of a deficit why wouldn't they still lose weight just because their body adapted to the exercise?

Because as your body adapts and burns less calories than it used to doing the same activity, you may not be eating at a deficit anymore.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

^ This.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Yup i've never been overweight, you got me there

To start Taubes found a single study he found interesting (that the obese at as much if not less than the lean and yet were overweight) and then cherry picked studies to support, it must not be overeating that causes obesity. He failed to take into consideration that, that study that it relied on self reported intake, which the obese have been shown to consistently to underreport intake. He then makes the asinine that carrbs and only carbs are what make you fat because carbs and only carbs spike insulin (which is false btw)

Shall we talk about it some more?
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options

Taubes is a charlatan. You'd be better off eating his book than reading it.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    OK, so that statement really chafes my nether-parts.

It is so NOT that darn simple!

I am a Zumba Instructor. I teach a 1 hour class at the MINIMUM of 3 times/week. On average I AM burning more calories than I consume and I am NOT losing weight anymore. I've been teaching about 6 classes/week for the past 2 weeks and haven't been eating any more or any less and I haven't gained or lost a SINGLE FRIGGING POUND!

By the way, I'm NOT asking advice, because I can almost promise you for 20 different people at least 10 different answers. Not gonna help me, but thanks anyway. I simply wanted to point out that this statement gets thrown around so much and it's just blatantly NOT TRUE!

UHUJ.jpg
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    I've been involved in a few of these classes as well, but that's just not me. I am consistently going as hard as I possibly can because I'm trying to keep the energy up. I wear a FitBit while I am doing Zumba and I am burning anywhere from 650 - 800 calories in a 1 hour period (according to the FitBit).

Two more bits of unsolicited advice, take it for what it's worth.

I enjoyed the classes where the instructor took the time during the class to visit each participant and teach form than the "up front sweating it out" type class. If I wanted someone up in front of the class "keeping the energy levels up", I'd buy a DVD and do it at home, because it's cheaper. If I'm paying someone to keep me accountable, I want a trainer, not a live-action DVD. No criticism implied here, we all like different things.

And FitBit is like everything else - based on averages. If I recall correctly, it does not have a heart rate monitor, so it assumes that each action/motion is a certain amount of calories, and as your muscles and body have adapted to Zumba you'll naturally burn fewer calories doing it.

I teach facing the class - so that I can have eye contact with each and every person. If I see someone struggling with a move I can give extra pointers to help them "get it" (whereas an at-home DVD can't). If I see that the energy seems to be lacking I can change things up accordingly. I am NOT one of those people that stands with their back to the class and barks orders into the microphone for an hour! However, Zumba is not for everyone...

Guess I'll have to break down and buy a HRM...
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • pookeyism
    pookeyism Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    OK, I wasn't going to post to this, but I can't bear it anymore. I understand biologics are complex systems that can be difficult to completely define...

However, they can only "fool" the laws of physics for a short period of time. The 2nd law of thermodynamics (yeah, I said it) pretty much says that you can't gain weight unless you are burning less than you consume.

Your body (and your measurement systems) can fool it for a week, maybe two, or longer if your measurements are off, but over time, if you burn more than you consume, you will lose weight until you are out of fat reserves, then die. (don't go that far!)

For more info, look up the 2nd law of thermo and perpetual motion.

Just is not so simple - you body can and will hold onto other things if for one of soooo many different reasons it determines (not to mean to make it sound like it is thinking about it) it needs to store building blocks - it is to basal to quote thermodynamics, and "be done".
  • Pedal_Pusher
    Pedal_Pusher Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options

I am a Zumba Instructor. I teach a 1 hour class at the MINIMUM of 3 times/week. On average I AM burning more calories than I consume and I am NOT losing weight anymore. I've been teaching about 6 classes/week for the past 2 weeks and haven't been eating any more or any less and I haven't gained or lost a SINGLE FRIGGING POUND!

By the way, I'm NOT asking advice, because I can almost promise you for 20 different people at least 10 different answers. Not gonna help me, but thanks anyway. I simply wanted to point out that this statement gets thrown around so much and it's just blatantly NOT TRUE!

Ya, it pretty much is.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't watch my calories, and I still lose. I eat low carb.

I lost most of my weight without counting calories. I don't eat low carb.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I wear a FitBit while I am doing Zumba and I am burning anywhere from 650 - 800 calories in a 1 hour period (according to the FitBit).

Are you eating these calories back then? I have no idea what your calorie goals are but if you short yourself 650-800 calories for a day or two you should drop weight. I would challenge you to not eat back those calories for one or two days and see what happens? My guess is you're overestimating calories spent during exercise. I see that all the time here on MFP. I have my lifestyle as sedentary, don't count weight lifting calories burned and just add on 200 - 250 calories for 30 minutes of fairly intense cardio. I continue to lose weight easily by simply altering my calorie intake.

If you fasted for one day (Not totally unhealthy) and just had water would you lose weight or just stay the same? I promise you would lose weight because it is physically impossible for you to stay the same. That will shock your system like nothing else if you have the will power to do it. You're not "stuck" you're just not at a defect on calories. People don't seem to want to hear this but it's true. Find the calorie input that is just under your required amount and stick with it. How do you know what that is? Start with the MFP estimates and tweak it down from there as necessary.

While I'm tweaking my intake slightly to try to get my abs to show you guys can all just keep arguing about how many calories to increase to lose weight. Good luck.
  • bm99
    bm99 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    I've been involved in a few of these classes as well, but that's just not me. I am consistently going as hard as I possibly can because I'm trying to keep the energy up. I wear a FitBit while I am doing Zumba and I am burning anywhere from 650 - 800 calories in a 1 hour period (according to the FitBit).

Two more bits of unsolicited advice, take it for what it's worth.

I enjoyed the classes where the instructor took the time during the class to visit each participant and teach form than the "up front sweating it out" type class. If I wanted someone up in front of the class "keeping the energy levels up", I'd buy a DVD and do it at home, because it's cheaper. If I'm paying someone to keep me accountable, I want a trainer, not a live-action DVD. No criticism implied here, we all like different things.

And FitBit is like everything else - based on averages. If I recall correctly, it does not have a heart rate monitor, so it assumes that each action/motion is a certain amount of calories, and as your muscles and body have adapted to Zumba you'll naturally burn fewer calories doing it.

I teach facing the class - so that I can have eye contact with each and every person. If I see someone struggling with a move I can give extra pointers to help them "get it" (whereas an at-home DVD can't). If I see that the energy seems to be lacking I can change things up accordingly. I am NOT one of those people that stands with their back to the class and barks orders into the microphone for an hour! However, Zumba is not for everyone...

Guess I'll have to break down and buy a HRM...

An HRM is a GREAT idea!

And hey, congratulate yourself on that next level of fitness. You aren't burning so much anymore because your body has gotten so good at it. :flowerforyou:
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Actually I believe Acg used to be fat, but he can confirm/deny.

Additionally, his physique has nothing to do with his understanding.

Lastly, James Krieger does a great job (as usual) explaining some reasons why Taubes is basically wrong. I would recommend that you read this as a counter point, because it's easy to read a book that has some studies in it and think that the information is accurate.

Please see here:
    http://weightology.net/?p=265
  • MeliciousGibson
    Options
    It's like talking to bricks. No wonder the diet industry makes billions of dollars a year!

So many special snowflakes whose bodies break the laws of physics. Amazing! :grumble:

What an incredibly cruel and b*tchy thing to say!

I'm certain that you've never had the uncouth urge to vent a single moment of your glorious and enviable life!

Oh, how I wish I could be like you....

....alas, I'm just a mere brick.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

Actually I believe Acg used to be fat, but he can confirm/deny.

Additionally, his physique has nothing to do with his understanding.

Lastly, James Krieger does a great job (as usual) explaining some reasons why Taubes is basically wrong. I would recommend that you read this as a counter point, because it's easy to read a book that has some studies in it and think that the information is accurate.

Please see here:
    http://weightology.net/?p=265

I can tell by your avi you've never been fat, so i'm not clicking your link as you've been discounted for never having been fat
  • Justacoffeenut
    Justacoffeenut Posts: 3,808 Member
    Options
    I agree with ramgi. I think the lady just wanted to have a vent, whether her ideas about weight loss were correct or not. I don't think the sarcastic and unsupportive comments were what this site intended to promote. Instead of the frosty or downright nasty replies, surely someone could have just offered some support and said they hoped she found what was going wrong with her diet and fitness plan soon.
    Come on guys, don't you ever have days when you just need to get something off your chest and don't want advice?

^THIS!!!!!
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options

Ok no advice!! But I will say from your pictures you look healthy and fabulously fit!! I know you would like to lose a few more pounds but when you are at goal weight or so close to goal weight those last couple pounds are the hardest to come off. I also read that you are a cancer survivor. That's so wonderful to hear!! Be happy with your health and don't be worried about a few pounds! Best wishes:flowerforyou:
  • carld256
    carld256 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I agree with ramgi. I think the lady just wanted to have a vent, whether her ideas about weight loss were correct or not. I don't think the sarcastic and unsupportive comments were what this site intended to promote. Instead of the frosty or downright nasty replies, surely someone could have just offered some support and said they hoped she found what was going wrong with her diet and fitness plan soon.
    Come on guys, don't you ever have days when you just need to get something off your chest and don't want advice?

^THIS!!!!!

When you post something you know is controversial, and do it in a confrontational manner, then you can, and should, expect some serious blowback. Don't start a fire if you can't stand the heat.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's like talking to bricks. No wonder the diet industry makes billions of dollars a year!

So many special snowflakes whose bodies break the laws of physics. Amazing! :grumble:

What an incredibly cruel and b*tchy thing to say!

I'm certain that you've never had the uncouth urge to vent a single moment of your glorious and enviable life!

Oh, how I wish I could be like you....

....alas, I'm just a mere brick.

Don't sweat it. Insults from someone that talks to bricks shouldn't be given much credit (and how could the poster know what talking to bricks is like unless they'd done it). :wink:
This discussion has been closed.