Gun for conceal / carry

Options

Replies

• Slimithy
    Slimithy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Carry the largest Caliber you will reliably carry and practice with. If you persistently train with a Semi-Automatic then I wouldn't worry about jamming so much, as long as part of your training regimine includes handling failure to feed/eject. But the most important thing is that you train/practice presenting and firing your chosen firearm from your chosen method of concealment. Gonna use a pocket holster? Ever tried to grab a gun from it, present, and fire a controlled pair into a target 10 feet away? How long does it take? Does the hammer snag?Are your pants too bulky/not loose enough? If you want a no worries CCW method you could go for a .357/.38 hammerless revolver sitting in your pocket (by itself obviously). Practice with .38 rounds and carry .357 rounds. Still, perfect practice is more important than any particular type of gun. Front-Site even has their slogan "Any gun will do, if you will do" to make the point.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    More importantly, if you think you're at risk of being attacked to the point that you'd need a gun to save yourself, why on earth don't you just find somewhere safer to go running?!!!
    Maybe even consider buying a treadmill and perhaps avoid a life-threatening situation...

...Maybe it's just me....

It isn't just you.. its you and the rest of the people who need a reality check. I learned the hard way when I was a teenager that the "It won't ever happen to me" mentality is completely untrue. It does happen to you.. and when you least expect it. I would start reading the news more and get a better grip on the real wold.

I'm well aware it could happen to me and it already has.
    But that's exactly why I wouldn't ever put myself in a situation where I felt so threatened that I would need to carry a gun. I'd plan my route to stick to safer or more public places, run with a friend or, as I said, buy a treadmill where I can run in the safety of my own home!
    Hopefully nobody tries to break into your home while you are there.
    Hopefully nobody attempts to abduct (or worse) you when you are walking to your car after work.
    Hopefully nobody tries to rob you at a 7-11 while you are gassing up.
  • the_texreb
    the_texreb Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You said you don't want to carry a .22
    How come you have eliminated it?

thanks for all the info (I didn't quote), very helpful and good points.

Why not a 22... i'm open minded, convince me! :P
    maybe a 22 would be good to carry as a secondary firearm, or in certain situations. I wouldn't want it for home defense though. right?

I also carry for self defense in the wild. I have shot my fair share of big snakes due to the nature of my occupation.

Have you seen the... I think it's the Smith and Wesson Governor? It's a pistol that can fire .410 shot! I really should get one of those for the snakes :)

Taurus Judge. Shoots .45 long rounds or .410 shotgun shells. But for concealed carry, Glock or Sig. Both have sleek designs that can be concealed and drawn easily. Just try them out and find the one that feels the most comfortable to you.
  • histora
    histora Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    My husband has the Springfield XDM 3.8, and while he really does like it, he considers it too heavy to CC. It can be a bit cumbersome to draw, too.

I don't carry because I stay on the farm most of the time, or head to a campus where weapons are banned. So for home defense I have the trusty iron-sighted .22 or the 12 ga. I live in meth-head country, so anyone who pulls into the yard at night that isn't a neighbor or family gets greeted at the door with a rifle if I am home alone.

That said, my next dream purchase would be the Baretta Px4. That's orgasm in metal. :love:
  • Slimithy
    Options
    Just has no place here

But threads on who's hot and who's not belong? This is a chit chat thread. It is about conversations you might have a a water-cooler. This is fine, deal with it.
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Hopefully nobody attempts to abduct (or worse) you when you are walking to your car after work.
    [/quote]

I'm talking about carrying a gun whilst running.. - a situation which the person who posted actually has control over!
    I get why people want to own/carry guns but I still say it would be better to avoid a situation where you might have to use one in the first place. In my opinion, a gun should be used as a last resort.

But, OP, I apologise for distracting from your post. Glad you got the answers you were after.
  • keegannati
    keegannati Posts: 114
    Options
    I carry a Bersa .380 or a S&W M&P 9mm. Love both of 'em. You might go through a few before you find one you really love to carry, but this thread has lots of great suggestions (if you can weed through all the posts from that anti-gun zealot to find them :smile: ).
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Some guns that have been suggested so far:

Springfield XDM
    Walther P99
    S&W M&P
    Sig Sauer P229
    H&K 45
    Glock 19

I have a Glock19 and i don't think it's small enough to conceal .
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm talking about carrying a gun whilst running.. - a situation which the person who posted actually has control over!
    I get why people want to own/carry guns but I still say it would be better to avoid a situation where you might have to use one in the first place. In my opinion, a gun should be used as a last resort.

But, OP, I apologise for distracting from your post. Glad you got the answers you were after.
    [/quote]
    I 100% agree that a gun should absolutly be a last resort.
    This morning, I decided to run a new trail. It is a heart train that runs the permiter of a local park. Please keep in mind I am in South Florida.
    Anyway, All I had was my iPhone to track my speed and such. As I was running down a 200 yard straight streach, I saw the path "move" about 30 yards in front of me (the sun was just starting to come up so, long shadows).
    I stopped dead and looked closer. Suddenly, the path "moved" very quickly and crawled into the canal 20 feet off my left. You probably guessed it by now but, it was an alligator and, I would guess somewhere between 7 and 8 feet long.
    Humans are not always the biggest problem while running.
  • Green_Eye_Girl
    Green_Eye_Girl Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My CCW is a Springfield Armory XD 9mm sub-compact. Love the gun!! We have a local shooting range that rents guns which was VERY helpful before purchasing. Guns are expensive and it is so much better to be able to try different brands, etc. before spending the money to purchase one you may not be happy with. I tried the S&W, Ruger, & Glock, but found the Springfield Armory was a much better fit for me. I like the shorter barrel and the extended clip, but some would find it is a little heavy for the size which helps with the recoil.

I am now looking to buy a .380 to carry while I am walking since last week while walking I was bitten by a stray Pit Bull. My husband had told me beforehand to take my gun, but I didn't because I don't have a holster and didn't want it in my pocket. Sure was wishing I had it with me after the fact. If I can't find a .380, mace will be my next purchase. I definitely don't want to be in the siutation I was in last week again.

Good luck on your gun search!!
  • Slimithy
    Options
    Did you read the methodology of the study? It looked at shooting victims in Philadelphia Pennsylvania. The sample certainly over-estimated those with criminal histories and or gang/drug histories. It didn't look at a sample of people similar to the readers/commenter of this thread. Look for a study of those who legally possess firearms everyday; people with CCW permits, police, and security professionals. You're are forgetting the number one requirement of scientific study, there must be a theoretical relationship between variables. How does an inanimate object actually cause someone to be more likely to suffer a violent crime. I work in law-enforcement, as a civilian. I can tell you that most victims of violent crime are no stranger to the police, and as such I and my family are unlikely to become victims ourselves. That does not reduce the right of us to be prepared in case there was an attack or reduce our responsibility to each other and our children to be prepared to defend ourselves. What if I showed you statistics that children are much more likely to drown in swimming pools than to die due to accidental gunfire? Would you want to outlaw backyard pools?
  • mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options
    Have you seen the... I think it's the Smith and Wesson Governor? It's a pistol that can fire .410 shot! I really should get one of those for the snakes :)

Booy howdy! I work in a gun shop, and we got our first one in yesterday, in fact. Man, they are uuuggleeeeyyy. May be good for snakes, yes, but definitely not what I would carry for concealed.

I, myself, carry a semi-auto LCP Talo. .380. I'm a little gal, so anything bigger than that is unconcealable. I tried to carry my S&W 38spc airweight, but the revolver was too bulky and was visible in my most covering of clothing. But, the LCP fits nicely at the small of my back, inside the waistband, and you can't see it at all. I even wear it in a Blue Stone Safety "Belly Band" when I go running and it really isn't visible under my shirt, either. For a fella, or a taller/larger woman, you could probably get away with a larger cal/frame. We sell a lot of LC9's for carry, as well, which is the same as a LCP, but just a smidge larger in a 9mm. If you wanna wait, the Kimber Solo is an incredibly accurate, small frame 9mm, but it takes a while to get those in because they're currently behind at the manufacturer. But, boy oh boy they are pretty little things. One of my bosses carries a Sig .380.

The Beretta Nano if also popluar, as is the PX4 Storm Sub Compact.

I stick with the .380, because chances are, for me, that if I use my gun, it's highly likely that I'll be in pretty close range with my attacker, and I want something that isn't likely to say, go thru a wall and hit someone I'm trying to protect.
  • bigfoote_03
    bigfoote_03 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I would go with an SIG P229 40 cal is to clean very accurate (I have one) and I have a Beretta cougar 40 cal dont like that as much but a good gun also.
  • jppd47
    jppd47 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    When ice cream sales rise, so do drowning deaths, therefore ice cream causes drowning. Ban ice cream!!

Correlation is not causation.

To add the the OP
    I carry a five seven most of the time. Used to carry a Glock 23. In the summer i switch to a walther PPK as its smaller
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    One handgun I can tell you not to get would be a Kel-tec P-11. Shot one on saturday, my hand still hurts. I've heard the Kel-tec PF-9 is a much better weapon for the price. I think I will stick with my Ruger SR9C for now. until i lose enough weight that I am forced to buy smaller shirts, I don't think i will have a problem with concealment.

I've heard the baby Glocks are nice, personally, I just don't like the grip angle and the fact that it has no thumb safety..

Bersa' s are nice and inexpensive. They get overlooked by a lot of people because they are not a "name" gun. Check them out!
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    I'm well aware it could happen to me and it already has.
    But that's exactly why I wouldn't ever put myself in a situation where I felt so threatened that I would need to carry a gun. I'd plan my route to stick to safer or more public places, run with a friend or, as I said, buy a treadmill where I can run in the safety of my own home!
    I'm curious....when it did happen to you before, were you 'aware' that it could at the time?

Most people don't knowingly put themselves in a situation to be attacked...but it can always happen when you aren't expecting it and often has little to do with where you live or where you run.
  • mjhuff1121
    mjhuff1121 Posts: 112
    Options
    Also, to those that question why in the world people run while carrying - It's not the "bad guys" I carry for - 90% of my reasoning is the stray dogs, the rattle snakes. I've had packs of stray dogs surround me. Have I used my gun yet, no. It is an extremely last resort. But you can bet that my gun was at the ready when I was surrounded. Also, I run in the dark (5am) and I'm a 5' female, so even though I live in a close knit, small community, there's always that small chance that some creep will happen upon me. No one thinks that something will happen to THEM... But, if I AM one of those people that run into that bad luck, Imma be able to protect myself - be it human or critter.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I have a Glock 19... I dont have a CHL< but if I get one it will be my carry
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Here is the "debate" I'd expected this thread to deteriorate to long ago.

I just don't understand why otherwise civil topics have to be destroyed by those who are not involved at all. Happens all the time on various topics.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    The smallest would be a .380 semi-automatic or 9mm. Definitely don't get a .22 or .25. Unless you plunk someone in the brain, all you're going to do is pi$$ 'em off. At the present I have a .380, but want to upgrade to the 9mm.

I am no longer out walking or running, but I like to feel safe. I have had my house burglarized while I was at work. There's nothing worse than feeling helpless when someone violates your personal space. I was afraid to come in the house after work. That's when I started carrying a pistol..about 30 years ago.
This discussion has been closed.