Gun for conceal / carry

Options
1789101113»

Replies

• lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I have a S&W .38 Airweight revolver that I carry. It hurts the **** out of my hand to shoot it though. I do practice with it on occasion at the range so I stay proficient with it. I'm female so it's easier for me to conceal, smaller & lighter but I feel sure it will get the job done. I did get a laser for it as well, just to assist. I also have the Sig 9mm. Love love love that gun, but it is much heavier to carry. It's the one I shoot most when I go to the range but it's heavier and bulkier to carry. I'm an ED nurse and have seen quite a few people come in shot with .22. They usually come in a private vehicle with not a lot of damage. I love shooting a .22, but I don't trust them to STOP someone coming at me. That's why I chose the .38 ( plus it was recommended by PD). DH carries a .380, but it's a lot like the .38 - hurts to shoot d/t the light weight of the gun. Would recommend going to a range that rents guns to experience different ones (or if you are lucky and have a friend with a variety spring for ammo and talk them into taking you to a range).
    [/quote]
    Quote End

No kidding. The .38 was my second gun. It hurt my hand to shoot it so bad that I dreaded going to the range. It was also a bit bulky to conceal. I traded it in on my Sig P238. I love it, so accurate and just the right size to conceal. This is my third gun, but I finally found my "little friend". :)
    [/quote]

I love when we bring friends to the range and they see me practicing with my 38 and have no clue how much it kicks. :p I've scared a few big guys that way. It does hurt to shoot, but, it's just a reminder to me to keep a really good grip on it. I love how light it is.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    This thread is meant to discuss what gun to carry.

If a vegetarian made a post on what bean has the most protein, i wouldn't go on there and try and talk about how being a vegetarian is unhealthy, wouldn't you consider that poor taste????

In the same way, you are polluting this thread with unwanted commentary. If you want to discuss gun control, please start your own forum post instead of posting here. It's called etiquette.

Amen! I mean, seriously, in Chit Chat you can talk about whether you spit or swallow or what type of S&M you are into but we can't have a civil discussion about what type of firearm is recommended for concealed carry? If you don't like the topic of the thread, go read another, there are millions of them!
  • Liasings
    Liasings Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    This thread is meant to discuss what gun to carry.

If a vegetarian made a post on what bean has the most protein, i wouldn't go on there and try and talk about how being a vegetarian is unhealthy, wouldn't you consider that poor taste????

In the same way, you are polluting this thread with unwanted commentary. If you want to discuss gun control, please start your own forum post instead of posting here. It's called etiquette.

Amen! I mean, seriously, in Chit Chat you can talk about whether you spit or swallow or what type of S&M you are into but we can't have a civil discussion about what type of firearm is recommended for concealed carry? If you don't like the topic of the thread, go read another, there are millions of them!

^^This

btw-I love your avatar! Lunamare (and your screen name)
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,957 Member
    Options
    Here is the "debate" I'd expected this thread to deteriorate to long ago.

I just don't understand why otherwise civil topics have to be destroyed by those who are not involved at all. Happens all the time on various topics.

Discussing weapons to kill people with is not civil . After all what do you want to carry the gun for, to kill someone if the situation arises where you consider it necessary , not very civil is it ? As I've said time and time again this is not something to be discussed here , go to a gun shop for advice

I think I'm going to out and drive my car really fast today.....if I run over someone...i guess it's the cars fault.......
  • dlwyatt82
    dlwyatt82 Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    You'd be surprised at how easily you can conceal a full-size pistol, depending on your body shape and what clothes you can wear. I wore a 1911 (5" barrel) on my hip in an IWB holster (a Milt Sparks Summer Special 2) for years, and you'd never have known it was there. I wore a plain tee shirt tucked into my belt, and an untucked button-down shirt that covered the grip. The 1911, with its single-stack magazine, has a very slim form, and if you get some magazines with thin base plates, it almost never prints enough to see. You trade off a bit in capacity (the .45 ACP 1911 will only hold 8+1 rounds), but if I ever had to fire more than 17 shots (1 spare magazine on the belt, mainly in case of a misfeed from the one in the gun), I'd probably be screwed anyway.

It depends on your body shape and whether you can keep your shirt untucked (dress code, whatever), but in general, carry the biggest gun you can comfortably conceal. They're easier to fire accurately, and won't kill your hands during practice.

That's another reason I really like the .45ACP caliber; it's a big, slow round, and is pretty gentle on the hands, even after firing a few hundred rounds at the range. I tried firing a .357 snubby once... never again! I didn't even finish a single box of practice ammo; felt like it was going to rip my hand in half.
  • obeserat
    obeserat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Here is the "debate" I'd expected this thread to deteriorate to long ago.

I just don't understand why otherwise civil topics have to be destroyed by those who are not involved at all. Happens all the time on various topics.

Discussing weapons to kill people with is not civil . After all what do you want to carry the gun for, to kill someone if the situation arises where you consider it necessary , not very civil is it ? As I've said time and time again this is not something to be discussed here , go to a gun shop for advice

I think I'm going to out and drive my car really fast today.....if I run over someone...i guess it's the cars fault.......

Read carefully it is YOU that wants the gun to kill someone with that YOU perceive to be a threat. The criminals carry guns to protect themselves from YOU
  • Josh
    Josh Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    [/b] Hi guys, So when topics like this can be discussed without it becoming personal,they are fine. Unfortunately, when this topic moved into a conversation about the right to bear arms, gun violence, etc., it became a political topic and had to be locked.

Thanks for understanding,
    Joshua
    MyFitnessPal Staff

[/b]

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate, or posts intended to incite an uproar from the community.
    16. No Political Topics in the Main Forums

Political content is not allowed on the Main Forums. This includes images. Please form or join a Group if you would like to engage in political debate on MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.
This discussion has been closed.