Food you thought weren't too bad until you logged them?

Options

Replies

• ClaireSD35
    ClaireSD35 Posts: 38
    Options
    cheese - but zero sugar!!
  • reaolliemama
    reaolliemama Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    avocado,,,,,god,,i almost fell off my chair,,haha loggon like a coffee, a bagel and an avocado,,well,,, that shocked me big time,,lol

Avacados are "good" fats though... definitely a keeper in my diet

^^^THIS^^^ A keeper for sure!!! Total fat can be scary in a lot of foods , but if you take time to learn about healthy vs unhealthy instead of just looking at total, you can enjoy a lot more wonderful foods like avacodos, olives, nuts, nut butters....
  • paulsmisses
    paulsmisses Posts: 178
    Options
    Great thread - I had a real eye opener to a lot of things:

- Orange Juice - wow loaded with calories and sugar
    - Cheese - had no idea how many calories were in just one ounce of Cheese
    - Peanut Butter and Nutella - nut based and fairly healthy, but again - I had no idea how many calories were in just one TBSP of these - I used to habitually eat one or two TBSP of these just walking by the kitchen...

i am exactly the same! kids arent allowed it anymore since i found out the calorie content of nutella - way too tempting for me to dig in with a tea spoon! my big thing was pasta and rice, shocked at the cals in these!
  • BachelorButton55
    BachelorButton55 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Grilled chicken salads at restaurants. Just because it's a salad - doesn't mean it's healthy! So disappointing.
  • 2012Mich
    2012Mich Posts: 93
    Options
    Nong Shim - Shin Ramyun Spicy Mushroom Flavour

The sodium could kill you..
  • becka63
    becka63 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    My homemade cheesecake: over 400kcals a slice!

I thought I was being good in that I sliced it into 12 rather than 8 in the first place!
  • bespatter
    bespatter Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Chocolate sprinkles. They're like, 50 calories a tablespoon. I about fell off my chair. They were worse than the frozen yogurt I had ate!
  • gmoneycole
    gmoneycole Posts: 813 Member
    Options

A hamburger patty from Costco. One patty is 6 oz...yet the serving size is 3 oz. That was not a fun revelation.

Ok - things like that just piss me off. Who is eating only a 1/2 burger as a general rule when making it themselves? I've gone out to a restaurant and gotten a ridiculously fattening burger with crazy toppings, etc, and split it with someone and had that be great, but I have never just made burgers at home and had 1/2 of one.

I make half sandwiches and burgers all the time at home because I have major issues with portion control. It seems to be working for me, but the whole juicy delicious blue cheese stuffed burgers are very hard to resist! : )
  • Robin070
    Robin070 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Salmon!
  • mellabyte
    mellabyte Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Anything from a chain or SOW (*kitten* on the wall) restaurant. >_<

I was very uninformed about how bad all that can be. I eat out tons less now, and if I do, never eat all of what I've ordered.
  • EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    hey, I got a food I thought was bad UNTIL I logged them....

Chocolate chips.

To be specific, sunspire chocolate chips.

2 tbspoons of pure chocolately goodness for only 70 cals????? Hecks yeah! That and an orange was my lunch for my first like 6 months here in MFP!
  • robinregina
    robinregina Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Mine biggest surprise were Buffalo Wings. I mean I knew they weren't healthy but had no idea how high calorie they are esp. when you add the blue cheese dressing. What foods surprised you?

Girl you're making hungry for some wings!! Why you want to do that to a sister!!! LOL
  • CowgirlKimi
    CowgirlKimi Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Campbell Chunky soups...the sodium is like about 1100 a can...crazy but oh so good

I guess they call them "chunky soups" for a reason, huh? lol
    23329547.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • scmcgee
    scmcgee Posts: 165
    Options
    Greek yogurt - too much sugar!
    Deli meats - so much sodium
    Peanut Butter - so many calories in such a small serving
    Nutella - same as above

Anything in a fast food place - I had a sandwich the other day at Arby's for lunch - 648 calories with a lot of fat!!!

Great topic!!!
  • malibulu
    malibulu Posts: 79
    Options
    sausage rolls and pastry in general. I thought it would be high but not quite as high as they are! also...pasta and juice
  • robinregina
    robinregina Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    this is why i pre-log as much as possible

Right!!
  • elcieloesazul
    elcieloesazul Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Bananas!
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    It's really serving sizes that have tripped me up. As I learn more about what a typical serving size of something looks like, I stumble on all kinds of astonishing little calorie facts.

Like milk. Milk may or may not be better for you than soda (okay, probably it is) but calorie wise, you're better off with the soda!

Cheese. A serving of cheese is tiny. TINY!

Grape juice. Delicious. Antioxidants. Yay. Again, for calories, you're better off with the soda.

Trail mix. I love trailmix, started making it for myself since giving up bread, trying to stay full and cut the cravings. I eat it throughout the day, but I have to throw out an entire meal to do it and I put the stuff in a baggy separate from the containers so I know how small a serving of each ingredient is (M&Ms .5 serving, raisins, 1 serving, peanuts 1.5 or 1 serving, depending on how many calories I have left).

Even so, I'm running out of ingredients two days sooner than I should be, which means guess what, I measured the servings wrong. So now I need a food scale really bad even for my trailmix. Maybe especially for my trailmix! That or I'm going to have to measure it out in 13 bags (the total servings per each container). I cannot trust my eyes in these matters.
  • krawl78
    krawl78 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'm with everybody and anybody who said Subway! Sodium, cholesterol, etc. is off the charts ridiculous. The veggie on whole wheat (listed on MFP) has something like 1300 mg of sodium. It's VEGGIES!! That's more than I eat in a day.

I love how restaurants tout their food as "low fat, low cal", etc. but people don't pay attention to the sodium and that's what will kill you in the end! Ridiculous!
  • chelseyjoan
    chelseyjoan Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Subways cookies!!!
    400 cals in 2 little cookies, atleast.. :brokenheart: :huh: