Food you thought weren't too bad until you logged them?

Options

Replies

• Brennaohh
    Brennaohh Posts: 47
    Options
    1. iced green tea from panera...like 90 calories. green tea barely has calories how the heck does this have that many?
    2. meatballs
    3. cinnamon buns
    4. muffins, the triple chocolate one from Dunks that comes out around valentines day...660 calories!!!!! even splitting with someone its still 330 :(
    5. chocolate syrup! just went out and bought some sugar free version today; much better
    6. crackers...thought I was being healthy when I picked out WHEAT ritz...still 70 calories for only 5!!!
    7. certain smoothies...can be up to 700 calories jeesh!!
    8. corn bread...for one tinyy tinyyy square its 200 calories. i love corn bread sadly

the sugar amount in almost everything blows my mind. in a can of iced tea I can easily go over my daily sugar intake...with ONE can

hot chocolates from dunkin donuts

im sure theres way more but nothing else is coming to mind right now
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options

A hamburger patty from Costco. One patty is 6 oz...yet the serving size is 3 oz. That was not a fun revelation.

Ok - things like that just piss me off. Who is eating only a 1/2 burger as a general rule when making it themselves? I've gone out to a restaurant and gotten a ridiculously fattening burger with crazy toppings, etc, and split it with someone and had that be great, but I have never just made burgers at home and had 1/2 of one.

I make half sandwiches and burgers all the time at home because I have major issues with portion control. It seems to be working for me, but the whole juicy delicious blue cheese stuffed burgers are very hard to resist! : )

Oh - I do things like that NOW, but I just mean the average person - who isn't on MFP and who isn't tracking - the assumption isn't going to be that 1/2 a burger is the serving size, so it shouldn't be labeled that. Some things you expect to contain multiple servings, but an item that is 1 piece should be considered the serving, at least for the sake of labeling. Whether that 1 serving size should be the "recommendation" is another story. Perhaps the labeling shouldn't be "serving" in that case, but the more straight forward, "1 patty = ?"
  • katscoots
    katscoots Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    That's why when I go out, I check calorie counts and macros on my iPhone before I order! CalorieKing.com RULES!! :)

Me Too!!!
  • Flafster
    Flafster Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Am really surprised to hear people saying Pho is so much.
    It only seems to be about 400 calories. That seems about right for a main meal? I'm on 1300 so it'd be about 1/3 of my intake for the day.
  • toysbigkid
    toysbigkid Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    To all the food makers out there!!! I hope that there are some resteraunt owners, fast food owners, all kinds of food people looking at this thread. People need to revolt about what food we are getting. More choices for healthy living, cheaper choices too! Damn them for putting all this crap in our foods for our kids, people in general !!!! They should be held accountable for the crap they put into food as well as us who got fat and sick from eating this crap and bad choices we have made not knowing what's in food exactly! What do they eat, carrots and broccoli?
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    I am surprised that so many people are mentioning nuttela like its some sort of healthy thing, but then I read a post that says its marketed differently in the US, how can something that is so obviously crap be sold to you as healthy?

then I saw this

Nutella, the much-loved chocolate-hazelnut spread, is definitely delicious, but not a part of a healthy breakfast, since it contains 21 grams of sugar, 200 calories, and 11 grams of fat per serving. I assume a serving is a smear....why would anyone think that this was healthy?
  • SunshineT83
    SunshineT83 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Great thread - I had a real eye opener to a lot of things:

- Orange Juice - wow loaded with calories and sugar
    - Cheese - had no idea how many calories were in just one ounce of Cheese
    - Peanut Butter and Nutella - nut based and fairly healthy, but again - I had no idea how many calories were in just one TBSP of these - I used to habitually eat one or two TBSP of these just walking by the kitchen...

^^^^These exactly, oh and crackers. I love cheese and crackers with a good salami, peperoni, or even hot link. But then I learned that's a no no if I want success. (or at least not the way I used to eat it)
  • duckfloats
    duckfloats Posts: 30
    Options
    I haven't been shocked by foods themselves, it's more the portion sizes. Restaurant portions in particular are like, three meals worth in one plate. It's insane.

Anything from P.F. Changs. Many of their plates are 3 servings!

http://www.pfchangs.com/menu/NutritionalInfo.aspx
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    pad thai :(
  • halhix
    halhix Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I just had a kid's meal at Chick-fil-a. I had 6 nuggets (grilled mind you) and kid waffle fries. 840 mg of sodium for the grilled chicken (410 calories total) I know this isn't good for me as I don't eat fast food at all but was stuck and had to eat something before a phone call.

Just because the portions are small doesn't mean it won't impact you.
  • slynn28
    slynn28 Posts: 93
    Options
    subway sandwiches
  • txlissa62
    txlissa62 Posts: 128
    Options
    Deli meats do tend to have a lot of sodium. However, Boar's Head has two options that really are low sodium:

No-salt added turkey meat - 55 mg per serving.
    Deluxe low-sodium oven-roasted beef - cap off top round - 80 mg per serving.

Watch out for those that are labeled "lower sodium" - they're still high in sodium.
  • suzibanshee
    suzibanshee Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Beef Cabana Bowl from Taco Cabana, includes shell, rice, refried beans, romaine lettuce, meat, shredded cheese, pico de gallo, sour cream.

1100 calories. 42 grams fat. 2650 mg sodium. 96 grams carbs. 42 grams protein.
  • pallypunch
    pallypunch Posts: 28
    Options
    Casa Chicas - Thick & Crispy Tortilla Chips 100% Natural, 3 oz (28 g), I thought that would be OK because they tend to be seen as slightly healthier than the "big bag" brands and are sold at gourmet grocery stores. . . but they are high in calories, carbs and fat. But they are good.
  • emom3boys
    emom3boys Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Cake Batter Buddies - too bad I ate way too much of them before I calculated it out. A little isn't bad, but it's addicting and once I start it's hard to stop.
  • JennsRAQ
    JennsRAQ Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    anything at Chili's... even the "light" dishes!

I agree!

I do love a Margarita Grilled Chicken there, though. YUM!
    Yeah, the Paradise Pie and chips & queso? KILLER cals!
  • jgondor
    jgondor Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    popcorn! i never realized how many calories a bag of popcorn has!
  • Inebriated
    Inebriated Posts: 271
    Options
    I usually pre-log what I eat or keep a mental note of the calories per serving in my head but when I first started logging, the only things that surprised me were potatoes/mashed potatoes. I can't really think of anything else. :ohwell: I was always aware that there was nutrition information on my packaged foods but I never understood much about it until I was about 12-14 years old so I wasn't completely oblivious when I first started logging.
  • mightyminerva
    mightyminerva Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I was shocked by most snack foods! Dried fruit is supposed to be the healthy option, but it's packed with sugar, and even the "pure" stuff is rather high calorie. I used to get Graze boxes (4 punnets of dried fruit/nuts/seeds/chocolate pieces per box), and one got to me after I'd started MFP. Holy cow! More than 200 calories for most tiny punnets! Never again.

Most carbs were a shock, too.
  • recreatinghappiness
    recreatinghappiness Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Bananas!

holy **** i completely agree.. especially considering raspberries have 1/4 the amount of calories they do.. its crazy!!