Food you thought weren't too bad until you logged them?

Options

Replies

• silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Shakes, I mean I knew milkshakes weren't good, but some are up to 1000 calories! What the heck!
  • pdj1220
    pdj1220 Posts: 175
    Options
    Pancake mixes - I know anything packaged is high, but a serving of pancake mix has more sodium than 3 slices of bacon.
  • dianniejt
    dianniejt Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    My favorite thing ever... Honey Walnut Shrimp from Panda Express. I knew it was horrible for you but I had no idea that one serving of that and some chow mein noodles would be 990 calories or something ridiclous. To think I usually order 2 servings. :( No more panda express for me. I am not willing to spend that many calories for one meal.
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Chips at Chipolte. The little not full bag is over 500 calories!!!

Oh yes, that one was a shocker for me, too. I don't get them anymore unless splitting them with 4 or more people.
  • SaraK1975
    SaraK1975 Posts: 2
    Options
    My 'ouch!' log item was Trader Joe's Jo Jo cookies...two cookies were SO not worth like 120 calories! I mean they're cookies, but still, I figured it would be a decent choice for a cheat. Notsomuch.

I totally depend on pre-logging!
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    bag and cream cheese (yes maybe i should have known but gosh dang)
    milk ( i didn't know how much sugar was in it)
    chips and salsa (it hurt my feelings )
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Hamburger Helper, some of them are HORRIBLE! Also rice and pasta.
  • Spokez70
    Spokez70 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Restaurant food especially entree salads, anything at Maggiano's
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Subways! They always talk about it being so healthyyy so I never really thought about what I ordered. When I started logging my sandwiches, I could NOT believe how high the calories were. Half a sandwich isn't horrible, but for some reason, I don't find their sandwiches fill me. I always needed to get a foot long, and most of them close in anywhere from 700 to even almost 1000 calories. I could notttt believe it. I just don't get subways anymore. I don't know what it is about their food, because I usually can't finish sandwiches. But something about theirs just makes me hungrier.

It's probably the sodium, I find the same with ready meals
  • soleilxo
    soleilxo Posts: 202
    Options
    juice. fruit is already high in calorie but since juice concentrates all the sugar I guess?!
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Soy Sauce-even the reduced sodium (which btw is tasteless). I was flabbergasted at the sodium! Darn, I love soy sauce! :grumble:
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Technically didn't log it, but pancakes. Oh and certain types of sushi, which it's hard to log to begin with since every place has their own spin on classic/traditional and ones you can't really get the nutrition value without dissecting the damn thing to make it a recipe logging.

But seriously pancakes broke my heart. Over 1000 calories.

Mm, protein Sweet Potato Pancakes FTW.

1 x Small/Medium Sweet Potato, cooked and fillin taken out (discard skin)
    1/2 cup Egg Whites
    1 x Scoop of your Protein Powder of choice
    1 x teaspoon Baking Powder
    Dash of salt of you prefer
    1 tsp of your spice, be it cinnamon, allspice, pumpkin spice
    1 tsp/tb of Sugar or Splenda or Stevia, w/e
    1 x tsp Vanilla Extract

Mmm averages 25g of protein, 320-350 cals, less if you want to eat less or have a smaller sweet potato, and use a sugar free syrup or dollop of Greek yogurt,...

definitely bump this...
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    this thread makes me sad, because people are talking about food like fruits, vegtables (like avocados), and whole grain bread, in a bad way. like these are foods to avoid.

Couldn't agree more. When I started using this site I was the same. Often using diet/fat free/sugar free stuff just to avoid the calories, but filling my body with chemicals and sweeteners instead. Not good. Also stopped using oil for cooking and avaoided healthy foods I love like Houmous, Avacado, olive oil and all cheese. The result was that I lost weight, but I got spots, brittle hair and felt tired and grouchy.

Now I am trying my best to strike a balance (don't look at today's diary as an example... hangover central!), sticking to my macros and eating as much fresh fruit and veggies as possible instead of worrying too much about calories.

What this site has done for me, is just make me aware that as long as I'm mindful about what and how much I am eating I can eat pretty much whatever I like. I don't believe in cutting out anything that makes you happy, ESPECIALLY not fruit and veg.
  • SaintsK
    SaintsK Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Velveeta shells and cheeese, and burger king's tendercrisp. I knew both were high in calories but damn, i nearly fell out of my chair when i logged the tendercrisp.
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Bu-ump! Yum!
    Technically didn't log it, but pancakes. Oh and certain types of sushi, which it's hard to log to begin with since every place has their own spin on classic/traditional and ones you can't really get the nutrition value without dissecting the damn thing to make it a recipe logging.

But seriously pancakes broke my heart. Over 1000 calories.

Mm, protein Sweet Potato Pancakes FTW.

1 x Small/Medium Sweet Potato, cooked and fillin taken out (discard skin)
    1/2 cup Egg Whites
    1 x Scoop of your Protein Powder of choice
    1 x teaspoon Baking Powder
    Dash of salt of you prefer
    1 tsp of your spice, be it cinnamon, allspice, pumpkin spice
    1 tsp/tb of Sugar or Splenda or Stevia, w/e
    1 x tsp Vanilla Extract

Mmm averages 25g of protein, 320-350 cals, less if you want to eat less or have a smaller sweet potato, and use a sugar free syrup or dollop of Greek yogurt,...

definitely bump this...
  • shayleeloves
    Options
    Pre-logging is an EXCELLENT Idea, it has stopped me from eating a lot of things after I saw the numbers.

This exactly.
  • concavity
    concavity Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Pie and Haagen Dazs ice cream and spicy sushi
  • kmcgaw
    kmcgaw Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    An ear of corn. 155cals!

Good calories!
  • tarapickett
    tarapickett Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    French onion soup was my biggest surprise. I figured the cheese and croutons would be bad but all together its terrible!
  • raygunn_viola
    raygunn_viola Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    fazolis. Love their chicken alfredo, then logged it and it was over 1000 calories without the drink. I was so depressed that day. I love to eat there, but no more. Pizza Hut wings were really bad too.