So tired of hearing....

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't hear that much, but I think most of the time it's just a difference in what is meant by "bulking up". Some women just don't like to have muscle definition.
  • happythermia
    happythermia Posts: 374
    Options
    SERIOUSLY.

But, honestly, I think that most of the time, it's just one of their excuses to NOT put in the effort to exercise.

I don't think I'll bulk up...
    BUT I am afraid of lifting because I'm not sure that I'm disciplined enough for that effort.

So for now, I'll stick to my yoga and when I want to get toned and awesome (still working on losing fat) then I'm sure I'll pick it up.

It may be lame. It may be sabotage, but that's how I'm doing it for now!

Rock on, lady lifters! hopefully this time next year I'll be in the club :)
  • bcattoes
    Options
    I'm so tired of seeing the same topics...

Someone above said it well. For many, it's just the excuse they use to not put in the work. For the rest, it's complete ignorance.

So you beleive only lazy or ignorant women don't want to lift heavy?? :huh:

Hmm, I can't decide which I am for being happy with the way I look now and choosing to spend my time doing activities I like, rather than in a smelly germy gym. I guess I would know if I weren't so ignorant. :laugh:
  • DaveRCF
    DaveRCF Posts: 266
    Options
    women say that they are afraid of lifting heavy in fear of bulking up!!! Women do not have the testosterone to bulk up like men do. Further, do they have ANY freaking idea what it takes to gain even a single pound of muscle?! It is so frustrating!!! A woman would be genetically gifted to add 5 pounds of pure muscle in one year. Okay, I'm done...thank you!

Agreed! I would also like to see more use of the Search function on MFP. Same questions over and over and over again. Yawn.
  • Sonnie124
    Sonnie124 Posts: 99
    Options
    women say that they are afraid of lifting heavy in fear of bulking up!!! Women do not have the testosterone to bulk up like men do. Further, do they have ANY freaking idea what it takes to gain even a single pound of muscle?! It is so frustrating!!! A woman would be genetically gifted to add 5 pounds of pure muscle in one year. Okay, I'm done...thank you!

Finally ~ thank you
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    maybe my attitude comes from the fact that i'm 40 and have been lifting weights since I started playing sports in high school and have heard it all, but why are their opinions about their bodies frustrating for you?

it's not like anyone's going to drop down from the ceiling on a zip line and steal your weights :laugh:
    it's their body. let them do them and you do you. it's all good. it's not like you get a free blender or foreman grill for every woman you convert to lift heavy
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Im sooooo tired of people thinking everyone needs to lift heavy :laugh:

Maybe even the amount of muscle you gain from heavy lifting, even if its not body builder status, is too much or unappealing to some.

Worry about your own goals :flowerforyou:

And there it is. Avoidance, ignorance, or just excuses at their best.
  • docktorfokse
    docktorfokse Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    Guys, not everyone has the same goal. Just because you like lifting heavy, it doesn't mean everyone else isn't content with weak bones and muscles and a lower resting metabolism. Gosh, get over yourselves.
  • Koshkaxo
    Koshkaxo Posts: 332 Member
    Options

Maybe even the amount of muscle you gain from heavy lifting, even if its not body builder status, is too much or unappealing to some.

Haha you need to accept not everyone has the same goals or needs the same methods of achieving them. This does not make me lazy or stupid... Just another person with their own ideals. I think you look like the ignorant one tbh :wink:
  • Meggles63
    Meggles63 Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Guys, not everyone has the same goal. Just because you like lifting heavy, it doesn't mean everyone else isn't content with weak bones and muscles and a lower resting metabolism. Gosh, get over yourselves.
    ^^^Hehe...I see what you did there :)
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Where's that picture of 5 pounds of muscle vs 5 pounds of fat? :happy:

Here:

4928517.jpg?1332530449

So, if the most a woman can gain is five pounds of muscle a year, do they really think that the glob of muscle, that's about the size of a guinea pig, spread out over several muscle groups in the body, is going to make them look noticeably BIGGER?!
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My husband is terrified of me bulking up. LOL I keep reassuring him that I won't.

I'm not under the impression that I'll bulk up. I just haven't the foggiest idea where to start. It's also terrifying at my gym. The weight area is *always* full of guys (it's a small university gym). *sigh*
  • adet983
    adet983 Posts: 138
    Options
    get off me i said no.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    i've noticed that what happens is that people overcompensate for their workouts by eating more. i've seen my non lifting friends do it ALL THE TIME. they start lifting real weights, realize that it's anything harder than they've ever done before (ie 30 minutes on the elliptical on level 1 and heart rate is barely 100) and think that means they can eat whatever they want because surely they must have burned a zillion calories. add to that when you first start lifting your body gets hungrier.

then they blame the bulkiness on the weight lifting but overlook the fact that they started eating 1000 extra calories a day :laugh:
  • bcattoes
    Options
    So, if the most a woman can gain is five pounds of muscle a year, do they really think that the glob of muscle, that's about the size of a guinea pig, spread out over several muscle groups in the body, is going to make them look noticeably BIGGER?!

I don't know who "they" is, but my question would be, then what's the point?

For a woman at goal weight/size, not flabby and plenty strong enough for daily activities, what is the point of lifting heavy? It's not going to buid much muscle. It's not going to make her bulky. She doesn't need to lose weight. Her BF is in the healthy range.

Other than bragging rights, what will it give her?
  • adet983
    adet983 Posts: 138
    Options
    whoops thought we were spose to say what were tired of hearing.......thought id try and be funny...stupid
  • 2012asv
    2012asv Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    SERIOUSLY.

But, honestly, I think that most of the time, it's just one of their excuses to NOT put in the effort to exercise.

That and fear of trying something new.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Haha you need to accept not everyone has the same goals or needs the same methods of achieving them. This does not make me lazy or stupid... Just another person with their own ideals. I think you look like the ignorant one tbh :wink:

I'm sorry for assuming we were all trying to be healthier.

My bad.
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Winner.

It's not fat, it's just dormant muscle!
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Other than bragging rights, what will it give her?
    That butt and legs that women want. That only comes from strength exercise. Cardio just pulls off fat. It won't build the shape you want.

Also it increases bone density which if I'm not mistaken is a huge issue for women. Lifting and increasing muscle also raises your resting metabolism so you have a much easier job of staying the weight you want. Most people here would kill if they knew just how easy it's been for me to drop 25 lbs. Honestly it's not hard at all when your body composition is good. These last few pounds I'm losing slowly on purpose.