So tired of hearing....

Options

Replies

• boldtsmith
    boldtsmith Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Hmm! Some women do have more testosterone eg in PCOS so what you say isn't true for everyone.

Funny that you mention it, I actually have PCOS, and unfortunately haven't found that it's given me an edge, at all.
    Whatever you've got, it sure comes in a great package. You are rockin'! No woman should be afraid to do whatever you do.
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I'm not afraid of bulking up. I just have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to weights.

Yeah I know...pick it up, put it down.

I know nothing about technique or anything.

For now I use to machines that are already set up. Would love to find someone to show me the ropes with free weights though.
  • jcjsjones
    jcjsjones Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I wish I could add muscle easily! My trainer told me that a lot of female clients at the gym don't like to work with male trainers because they're afraid the boys will make them lift heavy and bulk up. I hate hearing stuff like that.

My trainer is a male, and I wouldn't trade him for anything! Over the past four weeks I have lost 10 lbs, and started seeing some definition in my arms and upper legs. He pushes me harder than I would ever push myself.
  • SVallatini
    SVallatini Posts: 49
    Options
    Well, I will have to disagree with your statement about how difficult it is for women to gain muscle. In my Senior year of highschool, I worked at a nursing home and had to lift dead weight patients. After working there, I ended up with arms like most of my guy friends. They were like what are you doing to get such muscular arms and to be honest I wasn't going for that look. I just happened to have a job that required a lot of heavy lifting on a daily basis.

Having said that, it really doesn't matter to me either way if a woman lifts or not. I would consider myself healthy inside and out. I have done this by not overeating junk, keeping a very active lifestyle etc. I know what my body can do as far as muscles go, I prefer to not lift weights. So, maybe there is some truth to one of your comments.... I am genetically gifted in that area, but choose not to go with it!

Thank you and happy lifting to you!!!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Health is measured by the lack of disease, injury or other medical ailment and lack of risk factors to develop disease.
    You're taking for granted that you'll always be young and have muscle. As you get older your muscles will start to atrophy much easier. You'll be weaker, less able to walk without support. You'll be more likely to fall and less likely to have the strength to catch yourself if you do fall. Start working them now and it will be easier when you're older.

I'm 51, and not young by most people's standards. I have no medical problems, I'm not prone to injury, and have no problems doing exercise, yard work or anything else. This is because I've done aerobics and strength training most of my life. But I don't "lift heavy" because I don't like it. It's boring. Actually I find most strength training boring but I much prefer resistance body weight exercises, so that's what I do.
  • ahbril
    ahbril Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started weight training with my boyfriend for about a month and I really enjoy it now. I think it's been helping me a lot more than when I would only do cardio and eating healthy.
  • ishtar13
    ishtar13 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Did anyone see the motivation picture cbcbrass98 posted on the SL for W discussion board?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/633643-motivation

That chick sure looks "bulky" :huh: :happy: :bigsmile:
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    I'm 51, and not young by most people's standards.

Bah, that's not old yet. I was thinking along the terms of 70+ years.
    I much prefer resistance body weight exercises, so that's what I do.
    True that some people really don't like using weights and prefer just using body weight for exercise. As long as you're really willing to work at it there's a lot you can do with your body weight. Lunges, dips, pull ups/chip ups, push ups, etc. You have to be dedicated to do this because it takes more time and a lot more reps to get the same benefit. Take former NFL running back Hershel Walker. From Wikipedia "Instead of lifting weights, he has a daily regimen of 3,500 sit-ups, 1,500 push-ups and eight mile runs." Most people just can't stomach that kind of effort.

I work body weight exercises into my routine each week. I do push-ups along with bench press and dips are a standard tricep training exercise. Still working on the pull ups. Those are beastly hard to do. All these are in addition to weights however. I don't have the patience to do solely body weight resistance training. Good for you if you can.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Take former NFL running back Hershel Walker. From Wikipedia "Instead of lifting weights, he has a daily regimen of 3,500 sit-ups, 1,500 push-ups and eight mile runs." Most people just can't stomach that kind of effort.

Effort, shmeffort... who has that kind of TIME!?

I suppose if being an athlete was my full-time job, and I was paid what they get paid, I'd exercise for hours and hours every day.

But I'm not. So I don't.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm 51, and not young by most people's standards.

Bah, that's not old yet. I was thinking along the terms of 70+ years.
    I much prefer resistance body weight exercises, so that's what I do.
    True that some people really don't like using weights and prefer just using body weight for exercise. As long as you're really willing to work at it there's a lot you can do with your body weight. Lunges, dips, pull ups/chip ups, push ups, etc. You have to be dedicated to do this because it takes more time and a lot more reps to get the same benefit.

It depends on what you mean by "benefit". It would take more reps/time to get the same "look", but it does not take more time to keep you muscles firm and strong enough to prevent the likelihood of injury during everyday acitivities. It doesn't take more time to get the same health benefits.

I'm not arguing that you can't get stronger with heavy weights. Just that I see no advantages to it that would not qualify as personal preference.
  • iysys
    iysys Posts: 524
    Options
    i have big huge monster pride when i see that i am lifting heavier than the guys. i just started and i'm not doing a ton but i'm doing bicep curls with 20s while the guy next to me uses the 15s.

ETA - i also love lifting because i find on days that i lift when i look in the mirror as i'm leaving the gym i instantly feel taller, slimmer, leaner, stronger. just the process of doing it does wonders for my confidence!
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    Options
    maybe my attitude comes from the fact that i'm 40 and have been lifting weights since I started playing sports in high school and have heard it all, but why are their opinions about their bodies frustrating for you?

it's not like anyone's going to drop down from the ceiling on a zip line and steal your weights :laugh:
    it's their body. let them do them and you do you. it's all good. it's not like you get a free blender or foreman grill for every woman you convert to lift heavy

Perhaps you didn't read my post. I'm strictly speaking to IGNORANCE about lifting heavy.
  • juliebmomof3
    juliebmomof3 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Can I just say that I am a little intimidated by all the guys in the weight room at my gym. Idk about the rest of you but at mine there are these big *kitten* dudes going nuts in there and I would feel rediculous in there next to them....there is this one girl in there tho and she lifts and her arms are small but so well defiined and she looks amazing, and her legs are not huge but you can see her calves and quads look great....lol omg she so probably thinks I am checking her out when I am there but I would love to look like that.
  • Angie_1MR
    Options
    Can I just say that I am a little intimidated by all the guys in the weight room at my gym. Idk about the rest of you but at mine there are these big *kitten* dudes going nuts in there and I would feel rediculous in there next to them....there is this one girl in there tho and she lifts and her arms are small but so well defiined and she looks amazing, and her legs are not huge but you can see her calves and quads look great....lol omg she so probably thinks I am checking her out when I am there but I would love to look like that.

Julie,
    Most of those guys have the worst form in the world, don't let them intimidate you!! If you have the desire, go for it! There are books and websites that teach proper form, and will give you ideas as to some exercises.
  • iWaffle
    Options
    Idk about the rest of you but at mine there are these big *kitten* dudes going nuts in there and I would feel rediculous in there next to them....
    Most guys would just think "Cool, a woman that isn't afraid to lift weights".
  • juliebmomof3
    juliebmomof3 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Julie,
    Most of those guys have the worst form in the world, don't let them intimidate you!! If you have the desire, go for it! There are books and websites that teach proper form, and will give you ideas as to some exercises.

That is my whole thing, I have no idea what I am doing in there...I actually just looked at the website and for $20 I can get a trainer to show me what to do in there and help me set up a routine and stuff....I think I am going to because I know no amount of running on the damn treadmill will make me look like that girl in the weight room lol
  • iWaffle
    Options
    I know no amount of running on the damn treadmill will make me look like that girl in the weight room lol
    Ask her for pointers. Half of the stuff I do I picked up watching other people work out. Even today I'll see someone do something and think "O cool, I forgot about that exercise." The other half I just picked up by reading Muscle and Fitness magazines. On occasion when I'm looking for something different I just cruise through YouTube videos of different exercises.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    Julie,

That is my whole thing, I have no idea what I am doing in there...I actually just looked at the website and for $20 I can get a trainer to show me what to do in there and help me set up a routine and stuff....I think I am going to because I know no amount of running on the damn treadmill will make me look like that girl in the weight room lol

Honestly, that $20 would be better spent on Mark Rippletoe's book "Starting Strength". Odds are you'll get a trainer that wants you doing 3 sets of 10-12 reps on every exercise, won't have you bench press, and at best will have you doing barbell squats with a 1/4 squat. Most trainers are pretty poor to be honest.
  • mes1119
    mes1119 Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    why do you care what other people do?
  • Angie_1MR
    Options
    Julie,

You don't need to spend money...Google "Jamie Eason LiveFit Trainer" it's on Bodybuilding.com, an entire program dedicated to gaining muscle and shedding fat, I haven't used it, but have heard many have been successful with it!