So tired of hearing....

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Im sooooo tired of people thinking everyone needs to lift heavy :laugh:

Maybe even the amount of muscle you gain from heavy lifting, even if its not body builder status, is too much or unappealing to some.

Worry about your own goals :flowerforyou:

And there it is. Avoidance, ignorance, or just excuses at their best.

Haha you need to accept not everyone has the same goals or needs the same methods of achieving them. This does not make me lazy or stupid... Just another person with their own ideals. I think you look like the ignorant one tbh :wink:

I'm sorry for assuming we were all trying to be healthier.

My bad.

Having more muscle than another person doesn't automatically make you the healthier of the two. And apparently women can't build much muscle anyway.
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I think it's actually definition that women are afraid of - even though you have smaller circumference, suddenly you can see muscle definition instead of a round body part. I lift as heavy as I can. My arms are about the same size as they were, but now that I've gained muscle and lost fat, they might *seem* bigger. I was told the other day by a guy at the gym that I should decrease my weights so I don't get too bulky. Some people don't like muscle definition.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Other than bragging rights, what will it give her?
    That butt and legs that women want. That only comes from strength exercise. Cardio just pulls off fat. It won't build the shape you want.

Also it increases bone density which if I'm not mistaken is a huge issue for women. Lifting and increasing muscle also raises your resting metabolism so you have a much easier job of staying the weight you want. Most people here would kill if they knew just how easy it's been for me to drop 25 lbs. Honestly it's not hard at all when your body composition is good. These last few pounds I'm losing slowly on purpose.

*GASP* HOW DARE YOU MENTION BODY COMPOSITION??!??!???!!!!! *GASP*
  • jacksonpt
    Options

Maybe even the amount of muscle you gain from heavy lifting, even if its not body builder status, is too much or unappealing to some.

Haha you need to accept not everyone has the same goals or needs the same methods of achieving them. This does not make me lazy or stupid... Just another person with their own ideals. I think you look like the ignorant one tbh :wink:

My bad.

Having more muscle than another person doesn't automatically make you the healthier of the two. And apparently women can't build much muscle anyway.

So if everything else is equal, fat > muscle?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    So, if the most a woman can gain is five pounds of muscle a year, do they really think that the glob of muscle, that's about the size of a guinea pig, spread out over several muscle groups in the body, is going to make them look noticeably BIGGER?!

I don't know who "they" is, but my question would be, then what's the point?

For a woman at goal weight/size, not flabby and plenty strong enough for daily activities, what is the point of lifting heavy? It's not going to buid much muscle. It's not going to make her bulky. She doesn't need to lose weight. Her BF is in the healthy range.

It gave me a better physique and improved speed & endurance in running. Both probably fall under bragging rights.

But more importantly, it made me less prone to accidents and injuries. I'm hyper-mobile and had lots of problems with my knees, ankles, back, neck, hips... that I don't have any more. Increased muscle strength has taken up the slack for my loose joints. I've always been fairly active and strong, and other than after a bout of depression was always in a healthy range weight wise, but normal daily activities didn't do enough for me.

Plus, it takes a lot less time to knock out three sets of eight lifting heavy than countless sets and reps of light weights. Similar to how I could burn about the same amount of calories walking four miles as it would take me to run three miles, but I could run three in half the time I could walk four.
  • bcattoes
    Options
    That butt and legs that women want. That only comes from strength exercise. Cardio just pulls off fat. It won't build the shape you want.

Also it increases bone density which if I'm not mistaken is a huge issue for women. Lifting and increasing muscle also raises your resting metabolism so you have a much easier job of staying the weight you want. Most people here would kill if they knew just how easy it's been for me to drop 25 lbs. Honestly it's not hard at all when your body composition is good. These last few pounds I'm losing slowly on purpose.

All of that can be obtained without lifting heavy. Lowering BF, building a firm booty and legs, bone density, upping your resting metabolism, dropping 25 lbs easily. None of it requires lifting heavy.
  • CameoDouglas
    CameoDouglas Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I used to fear this, now I don't. Thank you for that insight you've opened my eyes :)
  • GSCPostBaby
    GSCPostBaby Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    A-Freakin-Men, sister!
  • jacksonpt
    Options

All of that can be obtained without lifting heavy. Lowering BF, building a firm booty and legs, bone density, upping your resting metabolism, dropping 25 lbs easily. None of it requires lifting heavy.

I'm not sure why I continue to argue with you, but um... good luck with that ^^
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    women say that they are afraid of lifting heavy in fear of bulking up!!! Women do not have the testosterone to bulk up like men do. Further, do they have ANY freaking idea what it takes to gain even a single pound of muscle?! It is so frustrating!!! A woman would be genetically gifted to add 5 pounds of pure muscle in one year. Okay, I'm done...thank you!

Yep. Besides if they put on a lb or two of muscle it will just make them look sexier. Look at jaime eason or sara jean underwood. Good muscle tonality keeps the pinch or two of fat that keep women soft(like they should be) nice and tight instead of saggy.

Ohh yeah and lets say that they do bulk up, like most of us weighlifters know all they have to do is drop the weights for say 3-4 weeks and they will notice quite a bit of loss in gains.
  • bcattoes
    Options

My bad.

If all else is equal, it wouldn't matter. Health is measured by the lack of disease, injury or other medical ailment and lack of risk factors to develop disease. If both people have none, then they are equally healthy.
  • Cambrendle
    Cambrendle Posts: 104 Member
    Options

And ddrop... i want a t-shir with your statement :) Lift heavy, look sexy. Period.
    Love it!

This ^^^ who's taking orders for tshirts?
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options

My bad.

If all else is equal, it wouldn't matter. Health is measured by the lack of disease, injury or other medical ailment and lack of risk factors to develop disease. If both people have none, then they are equally healthy.

The word they are looking for is "physical fitness".
  • KeriW626
    KeriW626 Posts: 430
    Options
    I have a question about lifting. Im going to start lifting soon. My friend told me I need to lift differantly than a man, or I would bulk up. I really dont care if i bulk up, it would look better than how i look today. Is there any truth to what she says? ty, keri
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    Health is measured by the lack of disease, injury or other medical ailment and lack of risk factors to develop disease.
    You're taking for granted that you'll always be young and have muscle. As you get older your muscles will start to atrophy much easier. You'll be weaker, less able to walk without support. You'll be more likely to fall and less likely to have the strength to catch yourself if you do fall. Start working them now and it will be easier when you're older.
    More Than an Exercise in Vanity
    “I still lift,” he said, “because it makes doing other stuff — yardwork, carrying groceries, carrying grandkids — easier.

Full story
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/13/health/13muscles.html
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    personally I would be glad to bulk up and start lifting instead of staying flabby. will begin strength training soon
  • bcattoes
    Options

My bad.

The word they are looking for is "physical fitness".

Anyone can be in good physical shape without lifting heavy. I'm sure you know that.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    My friend told me I need to lift differantly than a man, or I would bulk up.
    Totally false. You will build muscle but you won't get the big bulging muscles that men can obtain. That's even cited in that New York Times article I just referenced (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/13/health/13muscles.html). Also check out Californiagirl2012. She's at the extreme end of women's body building. You would have to work out like an animal to get into her condition. See if you think she looks too bulky.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/californiagirl2012

EDIT: She keeps her body fat really low. Most women wouldn't have that definition. They would just be "fit".
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    If someone has an idea how I can reduce muscle mass in my calves, let me know!

They are big enough as is!!!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Funny, I'm sick of hearing that women absolutely can't get bulky--I've seen it happen, usually to dedicated athletes. (I am *not* saying it's likely, just saying that to say it absolutely can't happen is incorrect.)

Also, note that there is considerable within gender variation in testosterone levels--some men have much less than other men, and some women have much more, or much less than others.