Do you believe in love at first sight?

Options

Replies

• Krushchev
    Krushchev Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    No. Infatuation at first sight, yes. It can lead to love but most often it just leads to disappointment. I have a good man now but we'll see how long it takes for him to get bored of me like the others. *sigh*

Isn't that a bit of a defeatist, self fulfilling prophecy type attitude? If he is a good guy... You shouldn't expect him to leave. Then you have no one to blame but yourself when he does.

I'm just having an off day. Also, short marriages and bad relationships run in the family it seems. And I've tried being positive in previous relationships and it's just lead to me getting really hurt by *kitten*. Sooo I always have the "worst case" scenario in my head so I'm not surprised when it eventually happens. Happily ever afters are for Disney Princesses. Girls like me fall in love, get married and then are left to leave the children alone, just like my mother was. I can hope for sometime better but the odds aren't in my favor with a 50% divorce rate in the united states.

You get the love you think you deserve.
  • Tourney3p0
    Tourney3p0 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    The real question here is, "Do you judge a book by its cover?" Or alternatively, "Do you completely dismiss someone's personality?" There's no possible way to get an idea of someone's behavior, their tendencies, their thoughts, their past deeds and misdeeds, just by glancing at them.

If none of that stuff is important to you, then sure. It's possible.
  • fionarama
    fionarama Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Nope. I believe in lust at first sight (which is fun) but you can't love someone without knowing them.

So how does a mother love her unborn child that she's never met?

exactly. human bonds are far more spiritual than maybe we realise.
  • Syderelli
    Syderelli Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I do :)
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    I don't believe in romantic love at all.
    I feel sorry for you :flowerforyou:
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Yes. 100%.
  • beach_please
    beach_please Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Maybe the expression love at first sight might not be the right one.

Meeting someone and after a very short time feeling like you found part of you that was missing?

Finding someone that is so completly compatible with you that you feel comfortable with him/her right away?

I don't believe in love at first sight but I definitely feel like it's possible to click with someone almost right away in such a way way that makes you feel instantly comfortable around them and want to spend all your time with them. Love?.... I think that takes a while.
  • JonathonMars
    JonathonMars Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in romantic love at all.
    I feel sorry for you :flowerforyou:

Most people do. Lucky for them, pity is something I believe in....
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    Nope. I believe in lust at first sight (which is fun) but you can't love someone without knowing them.

To be perfectly honest. I didn't. I DO love my child, but before I met her it was not a love. It was a responsibility to keep this person safe. It was a fear that I would screw her up. It was PART of me. I wanted to take care of her, but I didn't love her yet. I had love FOR her, what she meant, what she represented, but not her as a person yet. That came later. Once she began developing personality. Love is not a word I take lightly. I have only ever "loved" one man, my grandparents and my parents, and now, my daughter.
  • laceylou0702
    laceylou0702 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I say yes, my bf & I met one night when we were out with friends. We hung out & talked all night it's been 3 years and we're still together talking marriage & having the time of our lives. We have pictures of us that first night we met and you can see it on both of our faces. :heart: :love:
  • MsTanya77
    MsTanya77 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    YES I most definetly believe in love at first sight.
  • 1_Happy_Camper
    Options
    I belive in Love at first Encounter. Not just seeing someone from a distance. But I do believe you can meet someone and spend a little time and just know you were meant to be together. There is that instant familiarity and comfort level like you've known each other in the past. Few ever find it but I chose to believe it exists.
  • jhigg11
    jhigg11 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I don't believe you can truly love someone until you have seen them at their worst, and still love & accept them for all their faults.
  • YaBoiMUGS
    YaBoiMUGS Posts: 237
    Options
    Yes, I fell in love with my son the moment I laid eyes on him.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Going to have to agree with the 'lust at first site' as far as all I believe in.

I don't believe in love at first site because you can't have that connection with them. I definitely felt something for the guy I'm dating months before we started really talking in the gym and started to date. Haha, so that was definitely lust at first site I'm ashamed to admit. :love:
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    No. Infatuation at first sight, yes. It can lead to love but most often it just leads to disappointment. I have a good man now but we'll see how long it takes for him to get bored of me like the others. *sigh*

Isn't that a bit of a defeatist, self fulfilling prophecy type attitude? If he is a good guy... You shouldn't expect him to leave. Then you have no one to blame but yourself when he does.

I'm just having an off day. Also, short marriages and bad relationships run in the family it seems. And I've tried being positive in previous relationships and it's just lead to me getting really hurt by *kitten*. Sooo I always have the "worst case" scenario in my head so I'm not surprised when it eventually happens. Happily ever afters are for Disney Princesses. Girls like me fall in love, get married and then are left to leave the children alone, just like my mother was. I can hope for sometime better but the odds aren't in my favor with a 50% divorce rate in the united states.

You get the love you think you deserve.

Well I don't deserve him at all. He's too good for me, I wonder when he'll realize this and get a girl in his league? Maybe if I lost enough weight, I'd gain more confidence and then become worthy of his attention and love.
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I suggest you read Harville Hendrix's "Keeping the Love You Find: A Guide for Singles". What you're talking about is infatuation, not love ... love is a process of growth, not an instantaneous desire to be with another person based on external characteristics. Enjoy this infatuation while you can, because for most relationships, it won't last and without something behind the relationship other than the infatuation, neither will the relationship ... though it can be the first step toward genuine love (Hendrix would say, it's what initially gets us interested in the potential for relationship with someone else). See this description of Hendrix's concept of the Imago and how it factors into infatuation:

http://micheleomaracom.hypermart.net/test/services/imago-therapy

The mythology behind the concepts of love at first sight and the soulmate was born in the middle ages, and lives on today: the notion that there's that one person out there for each of us, and if we don't find that person, our relationship will not be everything it could be. That's led to the pattern: get infatuated, become an item, get married, lose the infatuation, label the marriage a failure, go searching for your next infatuation "high". It's no wonder that the divorce rate is so high in the USA. If we all got over the notions of love at first site and soulmates, we'd all have a much better chance of working at relationships that will last.

Anyone who's done work with couples in trouble will tell you: a relationship needs work, it's not something "magical". And it will continue to be something both partners need to work at, for the duration of the relationship. You may be swept away by the initial tide of emotions, but you need to ask yourself: what will I do when the tide goes out?
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options

Very different! Unless you have actually felt a child growing and moving inside of you you can't explain that feeling. Nothing like meeting a guy. Not. Even. Close.

I believe the initial lust is the reason that you keep going back and learn about someone and maybe grow to love them.
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    Wow after reading some of the answers from people, and the explanations...there are some terribly hurt and scorn people...grow...learn that not everything/one is the same! Don't close yourself because of some *kitten* or B!tch hurt you! Flowers for all!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Lust at first sight, absolutely. Love at first sight, not likely. However, lust can lead to love! :laugh: