Do you believe in love at first sight?

Options

Replies

• HazelElfwand
    Options
    No. Infatuation at first sight, yes. It can lead to love but most often it just leads to disappointment. I have a good man now but we'll see how long it takes for him to get bored of me like the others. *sigh*

Isn't that a bit of a defeatist, self fulfilling prophecy type attitude? If he is a good guy... You shouldn't expect him to leave. Then you have no one to blame but yourself when he does.

I'm just having an off day. Also, short marriages and bad relationships run in the family it seems. And I've tried being positive in previous relationships and it's just lead to me getting really hurt by *kitten*. Sooo I always have the "worst case" scenario in my head so I'm not surprised when it eventually happens. Happily ever afters are for Disney Princesses. Girls like me fall in love, get married and then are left to leave the children alone, just like my mother was. I can hope for sometime better but the odds aren't in my favor with a 50% divorce rate in the united states.

Dude, really...you have to love yourself!!! You can't have it decided in your head that he's going to fail...it's impossible for him to succeed. Let him succeed!!! If you love yourself, he'll be a lot more likely to love you too!!
  • MileyClimb
    MileyClimb Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    No! in order to really love someone you have to get to know them. otherwise it would be lust at first sight. I can't imagine walking outside the mall and see a cute guy and say I am in love with him even though I don't know him or anything about him.
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    Well When I met my late wife Zena, it was the end of the Night at a club in Norwich England, I knew by the end of those three dances I wanted her to be my wife, so I did something I never used to do and I asked her for her phone number, she then did something she never used to do and gave it to me. Not sure its first site but took about 20 mins. We were married 23 years 10 months and 9 days when god called her home.

*sob* happy for the first part, sad for the second part, love for the almost 24 years you had together...
  • galegetsthin
    galegetsthin Posts: 1,352 Member
    Options
    I think this complicates what love is more than it needs to be. What is love but to care for someone, to want to see them safe, to want to see them happy and to be willing to make the sacrifices that makes the other person's life better?

I've experienced plenty of love in my life in what I've given and received. There are different kinds of love, I'll admit that. I don't love my guy friends the same way as the girls I've dated. I love my parents and my other family members in their own way. But it all comes down to the same thing as before: Caring, doing what you can to keep them safe and make them happy, making sacrifices on their behalf.

We just look at "love" different. People's experiences, relationships, hardships and lives shape what it means to each one of us. I would do what I could to keep any other person safe, and make them happy, and for the most part, would make some sort of sacrifice on their behalf. That doesnt mean I love them. It just means that I care about that persons well being.

And because I feel that way about complete strangers, love has to go far beyond that for me.
  • raindance_maggie
    Options
    oh, and yes, i believe...
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    Wow after reading some of the answers from people, and the explanations...there are some terribly hurt and scorn people...grow...learn that not everything/one is the same! Don't close yourself because of some *kitten* or B!tch hurt you! Flowers for all!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Eh, sometimes you have to be mature enough to realize you are the problem.

If you know that you are your own reason for unsuccessful relationships...WHICH WE ALL ARE AT SOME POINT...then GROW like I said and learn and change...don't change the fibers of your being but learn from your own mistakes and correct them:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    I think this complicates what love is more than it needs to be. What is love but to care for someone, to want to see them safe, to want to see them happy and to be willing to make the sacrifices that makes the other person's life better?

I've experienced plenty of love in my life in what I've given and received. There are different kinds of love, I'll admit that. I don't love my guy friends the same way as the girls I've dated. I love my parents and my other family members in their own way. But it all comes down to the same thing as before: Caring, doing what you can to keep them safe and make them happy, making sacrifices on their behalf.

We just look at "love" different. People's experiences, relationships, hardships and lives shape what it means to each one of us. I would do what I could to keep any other person safe, and make them happy, and for the most part, would make some sort of sacrifice on their behalf. That doesnt mean I love them. It just means that I care about that persons well being.

And because I feel that way about complete strangers, love has to go far beyond that for me.

^^^^ This!!!! Exactly! Thank you for being more articulate in your response than I was able to be but I agree with you 100%.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Dude, really...you have to love yourself!!! You can't have it decided in your head that he's going to fail...it's impossible for him to succeed. Let him succeed!!! If you love yourself, he'll be a lot more likely to love you too!!

I'm just having a bad day where I hate everything about myself, they happen occasionally, like 1-3 times a month, which is much better than it used to be. I haven't seen him since Memorial Day and I won't see him again til the end of this month. I miss him so much.

Blargh, hate the crying emoticon on here, it looks so silly. :laugh:
  • rudy7020
    rudy7020 Posts: 62
    Options
    Yes. It really was love at first sight and we've been happily married for 31 years! He's my best friend and I new I loved him the first time I saw him and it's never changed!!!
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options

I'm just having a bad day where I hate everything about myself, they happen occasionally, like 1-3 times a month, which is much better than it used to be. I haven't seen him since Memorial Day and I won't see him again til the end of this month. I miss him so much. :sad:

Why so long? I went on vacation with my mom once for 7 days...no husband, no kids.....I went insane...lol. Hubs and I have never been apart that long...I know pathetic...but hey that's the way we like it :)
  • soonersgurl
    Options
    I believe in lust at first sight

lust....when you are first attracted....love when you figure out their personality.
  • ItsMeRebekah
    ItsMeRebekah Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    Love at first connection, yes.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

I'm just having a bad day where I hate everything about myself, they happen occasionally, like 1-3 times a month, which is much better than it used to be. I haven't seen him since Memorial Day and I won't see him again til the end of this month. I miss him so much. :sad:

Why so long? I went on vacation with my mom once for 7 days...no husband, no kids.....I went insane...lol. Hubs and I have never been apart that long...I know pathetic...but hey that's the way we like it :)

We live about 1.5 hours apart and he works during the week and can only afford to drive down to see me 1-2 weekends a month. I don't have a car or a license (because I'm a loser like that), so it's up to him. He's going on vacation next week with his family so he had to save up money to do that so he gave up a visit with me. It's 15 days until I see him again and it seems like an eternity, although I'm starting a new job soon so that should help speed up the time a bit. I'm seeing him two weekends in a row in July for a concert and then our 1 year anniversary/my birthday weekend. If I had a car, I'd drive up to see him too but I can't. *sigh*
  • poshcouture
    poshcouture Posts: 610
    Options
    Lust perhaps, love no.
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    no. Passion/attraction can happen instantly but LOVE is learned over time. anything else is bullsh*t
  • Christine1110
    Christine1110 Posts: 1,786 Member
    Options
    Yes....and I have been married for 24 years!
  • tarabear826
    Options
    Yes. =)
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    No. Break that down. At first sight you don't know anything about the person so how can you be "in" love or love the person in any sense at that point. I believe its possible to be in "lust" at first sight. From there love may or may not develop. Too often I think people confuse lust for love.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I believe in lust at first sight.
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options

We live about 1.5 hours apart and he works during the week and can only afford to drive down to see me 1-2 weekends a month. I don't have a car or a license (because I'm a loser like that), so it's up to him. He's going on vacation next week with his family so he had to save up money to do that so he gave up a visit with me. It's 15 days until I see him again and it seems like an eternity, although I'm starting a new job soon so that should help speed up the time a bit. I'm seeing him two weekends in a row in July for a concert and then our 1 year anniversary/my birthday weekend. If I had a car, I'd drive up to see him too but I can't. *sigh*
    That sucks *kitten*. I am sorry...but be honest with yourself...the fact that he is the one making the "effort" to come back and forth to see you...that says a lot about how much he cares for you...and you are not a loser...the only way you can be a loser in my book is it you just give up. i don't think you have so just stop that:) Don't be down on yourself...he obviously loves you...don't question it...just make steps to make you better and you will both get better together:):flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: